Is this an immoral decision?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

A terrorist group threatens to launch drone-strikes - which cannot be prevented - on U.S. domestic territories unless the U.S. President is given over to be tortured to death. So, the U.S. government responds by creating a clone of the President using methods similar to those in The 6th Day.

Do you think the U.S. Government's response is immoral?

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

The scenario itself has no morality.

Yes, the government's response would be immoral. How is creating a human being just so it can be tortured not a bad thing?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

That doesn't sound like a very feasible scenario. However it doesn't sound moral to me. Creating a human person for the purpose to subjecting them to suffering and death does not sound like something I'd ever want to happen. If the United States has the ability to quickly create and clone of a human being surely they can create a defense network that can destroy drones before they can strike. That sounds like the more feasible scenario.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BluRayHiDef

@Brain_Duster:

By not doing so, they would be dooming tens of thousands to death.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

We don't negotiate with terrorists.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BluRayHiDef

@thegerg said:

Yes. If the tech to conduct such an extraordinary operation exists there would be other methods available.

This is ridiculous logic. You can't assume that alternative methods that don't involve killing/ harming innocents exist just because an advanced cloning system exists.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@thegerg said:

Yes. If the tech to conduct such an extraordinary operation exists there would be other methods available.

This is ridiculous logic. You can't assume that alternative methods that don't involve killing/ harming innocents exist just because an advanced cloning system exists.

Well, as has been shown countless of times, thegerg is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

In any case, yes that is extremely immoral.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Or you could you know shoot down the drones....

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Brain_Duster

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Brain_Duster:

Then the President should make the sacrifice, not a clone.

The President fought to be in the position that he is in now and is indebted to the people that put him there. More importantly, he accepted all the responsibilities of being president and should not be allowed to back down out of his duties just because he thinks he's too important to die.

Subjecting a clone to torture that the President should rightly receive is wrong.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Impossible man. That'd mean we'd have some kind of missile defense system installed.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

A terrorist group threatens to launch drone-strikes - which cannot be prevented - on U.S. domestic territories unless the U.S. President is given over to be tortured to death. So, the U.S. government responds by creating a clone of the President using methods similar to those in The 6th Day.

Do you think the U.S. Government's response is immoral?

I think you need counseling

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brain_Duster

@Wilfred_Owen said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Impossible man. That'd mean we'd have some kind of missile defense system installed.

lol

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BluRayHiDef

@LJS9502_basic said:

Obviously the exact specifics of the scenario are irrelevant to the purpose of its creation, which is to present a moral dilemma. I could come up with some crafty explanation as to why the attacks can't be prevented, but that's besides the point. C'mon, LJ. C'mon.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Yes

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

The tricky part would be dumbing down the clone to act like our current POTUS. Anything smarter and they'd know it's a fake!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

The government can do that in our faces and calling it immoral wouldn't change a thing, oh but ot pretends not to know and debate for fun i think

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

We don't negotiate with terrorists.

This

Clone or not, its highly unlikely they would give them anything in that situation. Unless they wanted to encourage more terrorist acts in the future.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Ugh, if it is like 'The 6th Day' we could just clone a bunch of Schwarzeneggers to go kill all the terrorists. Problem solved. Jeez, use your head next time Blu.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Sounds like you are just using the plotline of Live Another Day except you are adding clones and exchanging London for US territories.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Cloning people to use as cattle, that sounds pretty wrong. I'd throw that up there with cloning humans for their organs, like in The Island. Same with cloning a bunch of Hitlers, like Boys From Brazil, because that's just perverse.

But cloning, or genetically engineering things, just because you can... sure, why not, I approve.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Silly thread

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So we can clone a full human being in a matter of days, but we can't prevent drone strikes (i.e. current technology)?

Seems totally plausible /s

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I recommend you watch the first episode of black mirror TC if you haven't already.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#26 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: US government are terrorists run by world banking cartel, Bildebergs, Rockefellers and such. You drone others, expect to be droned. Like US HAARP technology flooded Serbia and didnt allow any news coverage of the floods untill almost a week later when Novak Djokovic spoke about it. Big respect to him and his people. That country has survived and been bashed up so many times, they are warriors and were our allies. Wish i could afford to visit Serbia some day...im ranting lol.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Just send Liam Neeson with his particular set of skills.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
@jasean79 said:

The tricky part would be dumbing down the clone to act like our current POTUS. Anything smarter and they'd know it's a fake!

lol

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@Master_Live said:

Liam Neeson would kill US president before handing him to terrorists , he is a bigger threat if it comes down to this lol.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 indzman

@Master_Live said:

Just send Chuck Norris , he'd kill all terrorists , kills US president and his clones ... and become US prez himself ( Win Win situation ) HeHe

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i don't see any differences between giving over the actual president of the US and his clone since you'll be giving the "terrorists" what they want either way and there is absolutely nothing moral or even practical about doing so. it's a simple positive reinforcement mechanism which is basically asking the so called terrorists to repeat their actions. an impractical action can not possibly be moral in anyway.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

@Brain_Duster said:

The scenario itself has no morality.

Yes, the government's response would be immoral. How is creating a human being just so it can be tortured not a bad thing?

lol, when I read that I thought of the New Testament, and a certain character who was created so he could be tortured and killed :P

And that's my religious flamebait for the day, thank you very much :P

But on a more serious note, any form of intelligence whether it be natural, artificial/man-made should be given a chance to live with the same rights as humans, so yeah, I think it would be immoral, or amoral at the very least.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

i don't see any differences between giving over the actual president of the US and his clone since you'll be giving the "terrorists" what they want either way and there is absolutely nothing moral or even practical about doing so. it's a simple positive reinforcement mechanism which is basically asking the so called terrorists to repeat their actions. an impractical action can not possibly be moral in anyway.

Indeed. The only benefit the TC might be thinking of is that you can maintain continuity with the same president. Though, I think the terrorists might notice and be a little upset.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Heh, as if U.S government hasn't done anything immoral.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Isn't this just the plot of The Dark Knight?

The Joker threatens to kill people unless Batman turns himself in. Instead, Batman lets a fake Batman take his place, and uses him to lure out the Joker.

So...I guess I'll just have to defer to Michael Caine's better judgement here. If he says it's the right thing to do, then it's definitely the right thing to do.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Yes it is an immoral decision. The culpability for the decision might be mitigated due to grave fear. I would say that in that case, the president should hand himself over or try to figure a way to defeat the drones.

In any case, a clone wouldn't look like the president as it would start of as an embryo and have to grow through the normal phases of development, meaning it would take 9 months for the clone to be born and then 15 to 20 years for it to reach adulthood.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Just clone the us and have it be a decoy

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BluRayHiDef

@whipassmt said:

Yes it is an immoral decision. The culpability for the decision might be mitigated due to grave fear. I would say that in that case, the president should hand himself over or try to figure a way to defeat the drones.

In any case, a clone wouldn't look like the president as it would start of as an embryo and have to grow through the normal phases of development, meaning it would take 9 months for the clone to be born and then 15 to 20 years for it to reach adulthood.

I specifically said in the OP that the cloning method used would be one similar to that of the movie The 6th Day. The cloning process depicted in that film resulted in clones that were the age of and had the same exact appearance of the original. Also, using a neural mapping device, the memories and brain patterns of the original could be duplicated and implanted into the clone.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@lostrib said:

So we can clone a full human being in a matter of days, but we can't prevent drone strikes (i.e. current technology)?

Seems totally plausible /s

well it is BRHD after all

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Well if the only options are to let the president be tortured to death, let the clone be tortured to death, or let thousands of citizens die, I'd say the clone would be the best choice. Still immoral though, just the lesser of 3 evils.

actually, isn't letting the president or the clone die the same thing? or does the clone not have the president's memories/personality?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Another thing to consider is if we send the clone to be tortured won't the bad guys know something was up when the real president appears on TV? Or are they going to put him in hiding for the rest of his life?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Brain_Duster:

false. it is the terrorists making the threat that are dooming the people to death

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@II_Seraphim_II:

Actually, most Christians are Trinitarians According to Trinitarian Christian belief Jesus Christ is not a creature, He was never created, there was never a time when He did not exist ("Before Abraham came to be I AM"). So saying that Jesus was "created" to be tortured and killed is a misreading of the New Testament. Christ freely consented to be crucified, speaking of giving up His life, Jesus said "No one has taken it away from me; but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father". (John 10:18).

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If they have a drone that can strike anywhere without being stopped, why not just drone strike the president instead of going through the hassle of waiting for him to arrive and then torture?