Is there intelligence behind the process of evolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@ariabed said:

@SolidSnake35: one assumption is a bit more important than the other, the fact that you admit that the only other alternative would be horrible painful sex which would result in no one wanting to have it, leaves the only logical alternative extremely pleasurable sex, and I think something applied that logic something intelligent. Now you may find my way of thinking stupid, you follow science blindly and you have no questions of your own, you only accept what your taught. You shouldn't ridicule people just having questions.

How is there only two options?
Your lack of understanding of what evolution actually is greatly diminishes the validity of your theory
Also, not at all relevant

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: So you reckon those that were driven to have sex by environmental triggers died out, and the ones that found pleasure in it were at it like rabbits and overtook? Makes sense but is there evidence of that? The whole process of evolution Is kinda like running scientific experiments trying out all different mutations seeing which ones were successful and building upon the successful ones. Seems as though there is some intelligence behind that.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Ariabed

@chaoscougar1: well there's unfeeling sex pleasurable sex, or painful sex, which one is the more logical choice for a species to successfully reproduce on a large scale. Also why do you say I don't understand evolution?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@ariabed said:

@br0kenrabbit: So you reckon those that were driven to have sex by environmental triggers died out, and the ones that found pleasure in it were at it like rabbits and overtook? Makes sense but is there evidence of that? The whole process of evolution Is kinda like running scientific experiments trying out all different mutations seeing which ones were successful and building upon the successful ones. Seems as though there is some intelligence behind that.

The evidence is that lower-life forms such as insects cannot experience pleasure. They don't really even have brains in the way we think of them, just more of a 'knot' on the end of their nerve cord.

And there's no intelligence behind evolution, it's simply a numbers game: out of countless billions of variations, a few are going to be just that much more successful than the rest.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@ariabed said:

@chaoscougar1: well there's unfeeling sex pleasurable sex, or painful sex, which one is the more logical choice for a species to successfully reproduce on a large scale. Also why do you say I don't understand evolution?

Because you are giving some form of intelligence and free will to a process
Its just nature

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ariabed

@br0kenrabbit: I'm not being argumentative but how do you know insects don't feel pain pleasure fear, is there evidence for that.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yes, evolution is intelligent. It will shortly take over the world

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 br0kenrabbit
@ariabed said:

@br0kenrabbit: I'm not being argumentative but how do you know insects don't feel pain pleasure fear, is there evidence for that.

I'm chowing down on some food ATM, so I'm just going to point you to this article.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Ariabed

@chaoscougar1: saying it's just nature is all good, it's the human interpretation of a process that to me sounds like a scientific experiment a bunch of organisms with different mutation "let's see which ones are successful, oh those ones are more successful than those let's concentrate on those organisms with the improved mutation", introduce more mutations. The mutations that furthered a species where did these new mutations come from, seems like new mutations were being introduced all the way down the line.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ariabed said:

@wis3boi: that's right typical of most people on here, they can't handle a smart question so they post something negative, and ridiculing.

I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me I guess my questions are better placed with greater minds than those that are on a gaming site.

Now the theory of evolution doesn't explain how it knew to evolve a tree to absorb co2 to produce oxegen.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ariabed

@br0kenrabbit: Cool, but that doesn't go all the way to prove insects don't feel pain it proves some insects don't react to it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@ariabed said:

@SolidSnake35: one assumption is a bit more important than the other, the fact that you admit that the only other alternative would be horrible painful sex which would result in no one wanting to have it, leaves the only logical alternative extremely pleasurable sex, and I think something applied that logic something intelligent. Now you may find my way of thinking stupid, you follow science blindly and you have no questions of your own, you only accept what your taught. You shouldn't ridicule people just having questions.

I never stated that intelligence isn't behind evolution. I've only pointed out that it needn't be. Asking how evolution works is a good question. Assuming that it was put in motion by a creator isn't. Again, I'm not saying God didn't set evolution in motion. I'm just helping you ask better questions.

Nevertheless, some of your comments suggesting that evolution 'thinks' or that it has intelligence itself is confused. Someone has already explained that evolution works through random mutations.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Ariabed

@MonsieurX: no evolution itself is just a process what are you talking about, how can a process be intelligent?

I said is there an intelligence behind the process?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ariabed

@SolidSnake35:

"Nevertheless, some of your comments suggesting that evolution 'thinks' or that it has intelligence itself is confused. Someone has already explained that evolution works through random mutations"

I said in my OP is there an intelligence "behind" evolution?

Plus I don't think evolution is just a random thing as I said before, where did all these new and improved mutations come from?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 br0kenrabbit

@ariabed said:

@br0kenrabbit: Cool, but that doesn't go all the way to prove insects don't feel pain it proves some insects don't react to it.

Pain is a complex neurological phenomenon. Insect brains simply do not have the capacity for it.

Furthering the sex topic, many creatures that don't even have nervous systems, much less a brain, manage to reproduce sexually. So...sex doesn't even require conscious thought. Ha!

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ariabed

@lostrib: "@ariabed: it doesn't know anything, it's not an intelligent being

I said is there an intelligence behind evolution? In my OP I explained I know it's just a process.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SolidSnake35
@ariabed said:

@SolidSnake35:

"Nevertheless, some of your comments suggesting that evolution 'thinks' or that it has intelligence itself is confused. Someone has already explained that evolution works through random mutations"

I said in my OP is there an intelligence "behind" evolution?

Plus I don't think evolution is just a random thing as I said before, where did all these new and improved mutations come from?

And supposing they were designed by an intelligence, where would they come from? Thin air?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ariabed

@br0kenrabbit: ok you got me there lol, but humans and animals do feel things, for such a complex living thing such as a human it's only logical to make sex pleasurable for them as humans have free will and are driven by desire rather than environmental changes as you said.

There may have been species that enjoyed sex more than others but still the mutation that made sex more and more pleasurable would have been newly introduced each time I think something intelligent was introducing these mutations.

Has evolution stopped? it seems like you can only improve something so much, if there is an intelligence behind evolution it is happy with the progress and has stopped adding mutations, we are now at a point where we can evolve ourselves, why would evolution just stop for us if it's a natural process? what triggered nature to stop evolution for us? Maybe evolution continues in other species but for humans I think it's stopped because we have fully adapted to our surroundings. What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@ariabed said:

Has evolution stopped? it seems like you can only improve something so much, if there is an intelligence behind evolution it is happy with the progress and has stopped adding mutations, we are now at a point where we can evolve ourselves, why would evolution just stop for us if it's a natural process? what triggered nature to stop evolution for us? Maybe evolution continues in other species but for humans I think it's stopped because we have fully adapted to our surroundings. What do you think?

Where is there any proof of evolution? Dinosaurs to birds? Wasn't it recently discovered that, supposedly, dinosaurs had feathers in the first place?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@ariabed said:

@br0kenrabbit: ok you got me there lol, but humans and animals do feel things, for such a complex living thing such as a human it's only logical to make sex pleasurable for them as humans have free will and are driven by desire rather than environmental changes as you said.

There may have been species that enjoyed sex more than others but still the mutation that made sex more and more pleasurable would have been newly introduced each time I think something intelligent was introducing these mutations.

Pleasurable sex evolved well before our ancestors were walking upright. All mammals have the capacity for pain or pleasure, but mammals evolved from lessor life forms that did not. Those life forms, however, still had sex.

And humans are still evolving. Here's a short article on the subject.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ariabed

@SolidSnake35: And supposing they were designed by an intelligence, where would they come from? Thin air?

Maybe all the mutations already exist in the genetics they are switched on by maybe a chemical signal through the air or something.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ariabed

@br0kenrabbit: ok so there's a little fine tuning still happening but isn't that more adaption rather than evolution?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SolidSnake35

@ariabed said:

@SolidSnake35: And supposing they were designed by an intelligence, where would they come from? Thin air?

Maybe all the mutations already exist in the genetics they are switched on by maybe a chemical signal through the air or something.

Okay, running with that idea, maybe all the mutations exist in the genetics and are switched on at random. Same randomness that determines the colour of your eyes. No need for intelligence there.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 br0kenrabbit

@ariabed said:

@br0kenrabbit: ok so there's a little fine tuning still happening but isn't that more adaption rather than evolution?

Adaptation ISevolution.

And we're actually evolving faster than ever before.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ariabed said:

@ariabed said:

@ariabed said:

Okay, it is pretty obvious you need to take a basic biology class or look up evolution on the internet. Otherwise, you just look like an idiot every time you talk about evolution

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ariabed

@lostrib: I don't care what you guys think anymore or say I did care b4 but not now I'm not here to impress anyone you guys can think I'm an idiot all you like, who are you you're nothing to me. I can come in here an let all my idiotic ideas and thoughts out on you guys.

This is great!!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lostrib

@ariabed said:

@lostrib: I don't care what you guys think anymore or say I did care b4 but not now I'm not here to impress anyone you guys can think I'm an idiot all you like, who are you you're nothing to me. I can come in here an let all my idiotic ideas and thoughts out on you guys.

This is great!!

So you'd rather stay an idiot than spend some time actually learning something and answering your own questions

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Ariabed

@thegerg: I said is there an intelligence behind the process of evolution, I.e something introducing all the mutations that advanced a species

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@lostrib said:

@ariabed said:

This is great!!

So you'd rather stay an idiot than spend some time actually learning something and answering your own questions

You know, you do have a point. I think ariabed could save face just by doing a bit more research, especially on a topic such as this which has a ton of info out there on it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 lostrib

@jasean79 said:

@lostrib said:

@ariabed said:

This is great!!

You know, you do have a point. I think ariabed could save face just by doing a bit more research, especially on a topic such as this which has a ton of info out there on it.

even just the wikipedia article would help. Hell, the intro to the wikipedia article on Evolution would help

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By lostrib

@ariabed said:

@thegerg: I said is there an intelligence behind the process of evolution, I.e something introducing all the mutations that advanced a species

well your title says "does the process of evolution have intelligence" and that is the main thing most people will read. You also kept saying things like "how does evolution know" as if evolution is some sort of conscious being

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Ariabed

@lostrib: yeah I want to learn of course!! I also like to discuss my thoughts put them out there. I'm not an expert on evolution and I don't pretend to be. Didn't the first signs of life on earth rain down from space?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lostrib

@ariabed: how life started on earth isnt known.

If you took some time to get some basic understanding then you could ask less ridiculous questions

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Ariabed

@lostrib: yes the first beginnings of life rained down on earth from space and were formed in the ocean, it has been theorised and tested. I knew that and I'm an idiot.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By lostrib

@ariabed said:

@lostrib: yes the first beginnings of life rained down on earth from space and were formed in the ocean, it has been theorised and tested. I knew that and I'm an idiot.

please link me the sources, and tell me where this is the accepted scientific theory. Because as far as I remember, there is a whole slew of hypotheses on abiogenesis, and the most common one is the spontaneous formation of life via the formation the building blocks of life (Miller-Urey experiments)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

nah evolution is dumb. If it was smart it could happen in a fraction of the time, i bet.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ariabed

@pyro1245: you can't rush perfection

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ariabed said:

@lostrib: yeah I want to learn of course!! I also like to discuss my thoughts put them out there. I'm not an expert on evolution and I don't pretend to be. Didn't the first signs of life on earth rain down from space?

Could be. We don't know. Some experiments on the theories on how the atmosphere might have been on earth in its early life have shown that biomolecules can be created, that even aminoacids can be created if I remember right.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Ariabed

@lostrib: it's a theory just like evolution is a theory, simple organisms and living things have been studied and test of this theory have successfully produced amino acids and other organic molecules.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lostrib

@ariabed: you're misusing the term theory

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

It's obvious the christian god(jesus) is behind most of evolution and the universe.

One must simply look to the bible and all the proof is there.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lostrib

@Jankarcop: ...seems legit

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@ariabed said:

This question came to me as I was replying to someone's post in my other thread, I was going to post it but then I thought I didn't want to pose it to just one guy or have it lost in a sea of post, so I made it into a thread. How did evolution know to make sex pleasurable if evolution is just a process. Also not just sex, how did it know to give us eyes ears lungs to breath a tongue to taste, trees evolved to produce oxegen for living things to breath, I know it's an evolutionary process but it's a process that appears to have some intelligence behind it. This is probably a stupid question or to smart a question for anyone to answer but here we go, does the process of evolution have intelligence???

Simply put it's random mutations where the one most beneficial for that environment usually has a higher chance of survival.

If sex is pleasurable then you are more likely to want to do it, hence you are more likely to have offspring, hence you are more likely to spread that trait.

If a group of organisms live in an environment that is cold and wet then the ones that are better able to adapt and survive in that condition will have a higher chance of living long enough to reproduce and pass on their genetics.

The impact it makes depends on how severe the change in the environment is, how small and confined the population is and a bunch of other factors.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 SolidSnake35

@Jankarcop said:

It's obvious the christian god(jesus) is behind most of evolution and the universe.

One must simply look to the bible and all the proof is there.

What does proof mean, sir?