Is there an edge of the Universe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZealotTheAloof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ZealotTheAloof
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts
I remembered that article where someone explained how ancient philosophers made an ineresting though experiment: if you shoot an arrow at the adge of the Universe and it bounces off then thats not really the edge because it's gotta bounce off something! And if it went thru, again its not the edge of the universe because it can't just dissapear? I can't find a proof there is an edge of the Universe (or space) Can anyone here prove it?
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
I don't think anyone can prove it, fact is we can't see far enough to tell if the universe has an edge and if it does the universe is apparently expanding all the time so we'd constantly be chasing it. In Stephen Hawkins book "A Brief History of Time and Space" He goes on to say that the universe is in his opinion shaped like a saddle and as it constantly expands it'll get to the point where it will be too large and hit the big crunch, which will begin reversing the process, with that process now going backwards time goes with it right to the big bang, so if there is an edge we'll likely find it at the big crunch but of course that that time everything will start going backwards and we won't know.
ZealotTheAloof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZealotTheAloof
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts

I don't think anyone can prove it, fact is we can't see far enough to tell if the universe has an edge and if it does the universe is apparently expanding all the time so we'd constantly be chasing it. In Stephen Hawkins book "A Brief History of Time and Space" He goes on to say that the universe is in his opinion shaped like a saddle and as it constantly expands it'll get to the point where it will be too large and hit the big crunch, which will begin reversing the process, with that process now going backwards time goes with it right to the big bang, so if there is an edge we'll likely find it at the big crunch but of course that that time everything will start going backwards and we won't know. Apollo5000

I don't disprove that hypothesis. But isn't possible that there is something else besides our Universe? What if our universe is like an atom or even an electron? I think that if something exists then nothing cannot exist

andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
well, i saw on the discovery channel that theres a theory that the universe is like a mobius strip. Its a cylynder with one simple twist in it so if you travel in one direction then you will end up where you started. heres a pic of it
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I can't really tell you, sorry. :? I have a feeling, yes a "feeling" that if this form of the universe originated in a Big Expansion, popularly dubbed Big Bang, then it's either in the process of or already has formed into a spherical shape. Stars are spheres, planets are spheres, black holes are supposedly spherical....most formed objects besides the yet to be mapped Dark Matter and chunks of floating debris throughout space are spherical in shape. Would it be so far-fetched to assume such for this universe's shape? I say no.
rishi44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rishi44
Member since 2005 • 482 Posts

[QUOTE="Apollo5000"]I don't think anyone can prove it, fact is we can't see far enough to tell if the universe has an edge and if it does the universe is apparently expanding all the time so we'd constantly be chasing it. In Stephen Hawkins book "A Brief History of Time and Space" He goes on to say that the universe is in his opinion shaped like a saddle and as it constantly expands it'll get to the point where it will be too large and hit the big crunch, which will begin reversing the process, with that process now going backwards time goes with it right to the big bang, so if there is an edge we'll likely find it at the big crunch but of course that that time everything will start going backwards and we won't know. ZealotTheAloof

I don't disprove that hypothesis. But isn't possible that there is something else besides our Universe? What if our universe is like an atom or even an electron? I think that if something exists then nothing cannot exist

thats scary to think about
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
well no one can go out there so we will never know.
BloodTorment1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BloodTorment1
Member since 2005 • 2580 Posts
The universe is constantly expanding. There's no way to truly know.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
well, i saw on the discovery channel that theres a theory that the universe is like a mobius strip. Its a cylynder with one simple twist in it so if you travel in one direction then you will end up where you started. heres a pic of it  andyxm
An interesting theory.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Apollo5000

[QUOTE="Apollo5000"]I don't think anyone can prove it, fact is we can't see far enough to tell if the universe has an edge and if it does the universe is apparently expanding all the time so we'd constantly be chasing it. In Stephen Hawkins book "A Brief History of Time and Space" He goes on to say that the universe is in his opinion shaped like a saddle and as it constantly expands it'll get to the point where it will be too large and hit the big crunch, which will begin reversing the process, with that process now going backwards time goes with it right to the big bang, so if there is an edge we'll likely find it at the big crunch but of course that that time everything will start going backwards and we won't know. ZealotTheAloof

I don't disprove that hypothesis. But isn't possible that there is something else besides our Universe? What if our universe is like an atom or even an electron? I think that if something exists then nothing cannot exist

There are many Multiverse Theories. Such as the Theory that every choice you make spawns a different Multiverse in which that choice is played out another way. Giving that though, there must be more than hundreds of millions of billions of trillions of multiverses from just one person. I've often thought myself that its possible that the universe is nothing bigger than an atom to something else out there. Not impossible when you see pictures that show the Earth as 1 pixel big and a distant star as 600 pixels across in a scale representation, and the Earth only has the 1 pixel because theres nothing smaller.
joetira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 joetira
Member since 2005 • 2879 Posts
well, i saw on the discovery channel that theres a theory that the universe is like a mobius strip. Its a cylynder with one simple twist in it so if you travel in one direction then you will end up where you started. heres a pic of it  andyxm
thats how I always imagined the universe. I guess i'm smarter than I thought. Whats the name of this theory?
1_Blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 1_Blood
Member since 2005 • 1805 Posts

You know that 99% of the universe is UNKNOWN Dark matter. It's an embarrasment to the scientific community but they are trying to change that by applying some new tech to observe this unknown matter. When it comes down to it, humans know jack squat about the universe, we're just trying to gain some understanding about what's out there. Therefore, No, nobody knows if there is an edge to the universe, speculate all you want but when it comes down to it all that we humans can do is speculate without any sound truth.

Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Apollo5000

You know that 99% of the universe is UNKNOWN Dark matter. It's an embarrasment to the scientific community but they are trying to change that by applying some new tech to observe this unknown matter. When it comes down to it, humans know jack squat about the universe, we're just trying to gain some understanding about what's out there. Therefore, No, nobody knows if there is an edge to the universe, speculate all you want but when it comes down all we humans can do is speculate without any sound truth.

1_Blood
You can say the same thing about Gravity...
shahkanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shahkanon
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts
Well, if m-theory becomes more and more acceptable, it might be possible to prove this. Not exactly sure, because i can hardly understand it. It involves to much phsyics.
Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

There is no way to tell, we cant go out that far in the universe. Anyway, i dont believe that there is an "edge" to the universe, but say the universe was like the earth, round and if you travel from point A you will still end up at point A after a period of traveling. however we have found out that we can go out of the earth's sky, therefore opening up the way to space. That brings up the question, is it possible then to go "out" of space? Explained in the diagram below, the big round dot is the earth, and the little dots are all the other misc planets. The arrows indicate direction of travelPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
probably not
Avatar image for matallicthewolf
matallicthewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 matallicthewolf
Member since 2004 • 815 Posts
My thoery of the edge is based off of what we know. The universe is about 13.7 billion years old, because that's how far we can look out in space 13.7 billion light years. But we look out farther thats the edge for me.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
I believe the universe is a sphere, just like earth and the sun. But space is very cold right, so that must play a factor. Where is the cold coming from and where is the heat inside some planets and stars coming from? And then theres the issue about mass, mass=energy right because mass attracts and =gravity. Earth is an alien planet, we're only visitors that got here by traveling on a astroid. Where did we come from, is there 1 giant planet from which every other planet and piece of rock in the universe has formed because the giant planet is breaking into pieces?
Jetkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jetkon
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
no. once you reach the oort cloud the whole universe starts rotating, so you can never reach the "edge" it's not dimensional
jubjub13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jubjub13
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts
well what if the universe does come a boundary at some point then what is on the other side of the boundary..........:|......DUN DUN DUUUUUUNN :D
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
thats what i just said with my picture, if its visible
jubjub13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jubjub13
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts
ya thats what im talking about
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts
They say the universe is expanding,meaning it's getting bigger,so if that's true that there is an end to it. The question is what is the end made of and what is there?
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
ya thats what im talking aboutjubjub13
ok
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The universe has no centre and no edge.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 joeamis
well what if the universe does come a boundary at some point then what is on the other side of the boundary..........:|......DUN DUN DUUUUUUNN :Djubjub13
Nothing because the gravity is so immense that nothing can pass the boundaries.
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
They say the universe is expanding,meaning it's getting bigger,so if that's true that there is an end to it. The question is what is the end made of and what is there?dog64
Yes, Theoretical Physicists like Stephan Hawking believe that the universe will it a point where it can no longer expand , The Big Crunch will begin, Shrink our universe. If certain theories are correct, this could result in another Big Bang
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xbox360gamer1
The universe has no centre and no edge.foxhound_fox
No true, It is impossible. Everything must have a ending.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
but what holds the universe. like what contains it?
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xbox360gamer1
[QUOTE="ZealotTheAloof"]

[QUOTE="Apollo5000"]I don't think anyone can prove it, fact is we can't see far enough to tell if the universe has an edge and if it does the universe is apparently expanding all the time so we'd constantly be chasing it. In Stephen Hawkins book "A Brief History of Time and Space" He goes on to say that the universe is in his opinion shaped like a saddle and as it constantly expands it'll get to the point where it will be too large and hit the big crunch, which will begin reversing the process, with that process now going backwards time goes with it right to the big bang, so if there is an edge we'll likely find it at the big crunch but of course that that time everything will start going backwards and we won't know. Apollo5000

There are many Multiverse Theories. Such as the Theory that every choice you make spawns a different Multiverse in which that choice is played out another way. Giving that though, there must be more than hundreds of millions of billions of trillions of multiverses from just one person. I've often thought myself that its possible that the universe is nothing bigger than an atom to something else out there. Not impossible when you see pictures that show the Earth as 1 pixel big and a distant star as 600 pixels across in a scale representation, and the Earth only has the 1 pixel because theres nothing smaller.

Here is a picture of Earth from 4 billion miles away

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox

No true, It is impossible. Everything must have a ending.Xbox360gamer1

Perhaps you are not open-minded enough to comprehend such vastness?

I know I was adverse to the idea at first... but it makes a lot more sense when one considers quantum physics and truly thinking about the impossibility of the universe being a perfect sphere.

If there is a centre and edge to the universe... then where is it? Why is everything seemingly travelling away from Earth? Is Earth really the centre of the universe and perhaps Copernicus was all wrong?

If you take a university level astronomy course, you get taught these things and humbled by them.

Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xbox360gamer1

[QUOTE="Xbox360gamer1"]No true, It is impossible. Everything must have a ending.foxhound_fox

I know I was adverse to the idea at first... but it makes a lot more sense when one considers quantum physics and truly thinking about the impossibility of the universe being a perfect sphere.

If there is a centre and edge to the universe... then where is it? Why is everything seemingly travelling away from Earth? Is Earth really the centre of the universe and perhaps Copernicus was all wrong?

If you take a university level astronomy course, you get taught these things and humbled by them.

I never said Earth was the center, The the largest object is the center of the universe because of gravity. We don't yet know,what the sun is pulling towards. But think......Is it really possible for something to be infinite ,or just beyond what we know?
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
Supposedly it does, but its damn far out there.  We may actually be sitting on the other side of it. 
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox

I never said Earth was the center, The the largest object is the center of the universe because of gravity. We don't yet know,what the sun is pulling towards. But think......Is it really possible for something to be infinite ,or just beyond what we know?Xbox360gamer1

There are so many universal theories the list itself is mindboggling. The most "accepted" theory is that the universe is not infinte and has no edge and no center. Kind of like that model that was posted on the first page.

My brain hurts trying to explain it... :| 

Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nerfing
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
There are other planets holding humanoid beings we don't know of and probably never will. Only God knows.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 joeamis
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Xbox360gamer1"]No true, It is impossible. Everything must have a ending.Xbox360gamer1

I never said Earth was the center, The the largest object is the center of the universe because of gravity. We don't yet know,what the sun is pulling towards. But think......Is it really possible for something to be infinite ,or just beyond what we know?

If the largest object was the center of the universe because of gravity and the sun is being pulled towards it, then why would other things be pulled away from the sun (& earth)?  If the center was a large object with enough gravity to pull use from this far away, wouldn't everything be pulled toward it?  Thus, the universe would be shrinking, but the universe is most thought to be expanding, therefore the center cannot be a large object.

megastarjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 megastarjosh
Member since 2007 • 744 Posts
i believe that there is an end to the universe, and beyond that there is a heaven or a hell...possibly....
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Apollo5000
i believe that there is an end to the universe, and beyond that there is a heaven or a hell...possibly....megastarjosh
So all this looking up and down doesn't make a difference because they are all too far to see it!
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Apollo5000
i believe that there is an end to the universe, and beyond that there is a heaven or a hell...possibly....megastarjosh
Now that you think of it that could be why there is no divine intervention anymore. The more the universe expanded the further away God got and the connection got bad over long distances...
KrayzieJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KrayzieJ
Member since 2003 • 3283 Posts
I don't know jack about cosmology, but I think you get to a certain point in the universe and from then on you start from the other side. kind of like a
daniel52587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 daniel52587
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts
I dont think there is an edge.........
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 joeamis
Its mind boggling to think that it could go on forever. While maybe that is possible. It seems to make sense that it is a sphere or some shape where points meet eachother. It's also mind boggling to think there is an edge because what happens when stuff reaches the edge, would it bounce off, or be destroyed, or get stuck on the edges.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
The edge of the universe doesn't exist in any event, though that's a damn interesting point the philosophers have. But in any event, it seems that the universe is limitless in space, however finite in the mass/energy within this infinite space. The edge of the universe could be considered the farthest any matter gets from where it will contract back to its origin, if this ever happens.
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#44 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

ah, er, ya!
And you are on it

bigglesbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bigglesbear
Member since 2004 • 3187 Posts
The theory I like which was made by Steven hawkings, Is that the universe is many dimensions, like a cube with all the edges touching. The human mind just cant get it.
kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
We will never know, the universe is just too big!
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts
Everything has a creator...a beginning...even the universe yes. And everything that has a beginning has an end. At least thats how I think about it. Isn't there an Einstein theory wich says there are different dimensions?
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
The theory I like which was made by Steven hawkings, Is that the universe is many dimensions, like a cube with all the edges touching. The human mind just cant get it. bigglesbear
....then how did Stephen Hawking propose the plan...he's human, right? And in any event, he did not propose string theory and is at best weary of it.
still_thinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 still_thinking
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts
wanna go check?