Is there an app for this?

#1 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

Hypothetical scenario: Let's say you're in an area with just a few people. Person A starts threatening Person B physically to the point where it becomes clear that person A might try to kill Person B. You don't want to call 911 because you don't want to get hurt yourself. Is there an app that you can use to text the proper authorities without Person A's knowledge?

#2 Edited by lamprey263 (22840 posts) -

from my experience with friends, it never does never does any good to play middle ground on issues between other friends, both will get pissed for not taking their side, so you gotta come down on it one way or another, you might as well pick a side and get involved

if it's strangers just bring it to someones attention, fights on the bus used to happen a lot but the bus driver wouldn't mediate unless someone said something, once I learned this I'd go tell them right away and they'd kick someone off the bus or call the cops

#3 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

from my experience with friends, it never does never does any good to play middle ground on issues between other friends, both will get pissed for not taking their side, so you gotta come down on it one way or another, you might as well pick a side and get involved

if it's strangers just bring it to someones attention, fights on the bus used to happen a lot but the bus driver wouldn't mediate unless someone said something, once I learned this I'd go tell them right away and they'd kick someone off the bus or call the cops

It was a fight between two people I didn't know and they weren't friend either. I just need to know if there's an app for it.

#4 Posted by lamprey263 (22840 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

It was a fight between two people I didn't know and they weren't friend either. I just need to know if there's an app for it.

I hope not, I think it'd be a real bad idea to report something like "these two guys look like they're going to get into a fight and kill each other, corner of Jefferson AVE and Thomas ST", police might respond by showing up and cracking skulls and maybe shooting someone, which would be bad if nothing illegal actually happens.

#5 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

I would just call the police. If the moron charged after me for calling, he would just get pepper sprayed and then and swift kick to the nuts to finish him off until the police arrived.

#6 Posted by ferrari2001 (16760 posts) -

Most major police offices now allow you to text them you location and problem to 911 and they will dispatch a unit.

#7 Edited by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

Actually, it IS an option now. Link

#8 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Why not just call the "non-emergency" police line and report it anonymously?

#9 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -
@jasean79 said:

Why not just call the "non-emergency" police line and report it anonymously?

Probably because he would've heard me easily which would've likely escalated the situation and I had no desire to get hurt myself?