is the new hunger games movie worth wathcing???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) 7 months, 17 days ago

Poll: is the new hunger games movie worth wathcing??? (24 votes)

Yes 67%
NO 4%
If you're bored and have nothing better to do 29%
#1 Posted by Bardock47 (5141 posts) -

I got back from it earlier last night and I thought it was great. It was much better than the first, and really made it more grand (in a good way) and added alot of really good side characters.

#2 Edited by Barbariser (6693 posts) -

It's a huge improvement over the first one in almost every aspect.

#3 Posted by PannicAtack (20837 posts) -

That's surprising. I've heard that the first book is generally considered better than the other two.

#4 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16937 posts) -

Just got back from seeing the movie and it was good! Definitely better than the first movie. They not only do a great job of fleshing out some existing characters more, but they introduce quite a few new characters who play some big roles. The casting job in the movies is still great and I really love the acting.

The way the story is moving forward is interesting and I definitely am curious to see the next two movies. I haven't read the books and am letting myself be surprised by the movies!

#5 Edited by Serraph105 (27533 posts) -

Oh hell yes, I watched it last night and it an excellent film. Lot of things things to think about and discuss afterwards, characters from the first movie got more development, the acting is terrific, and on and on and on.

Great film so go see it.

#6 Posted by Barbariser (6693 posts) -

@Barbariser said:

That's surprising. I've heard that the first book is generally considered better than the other two.

Don't know about the books because I've never read them, but Catching Fire was clearly superior in terms of acting, pacing, characterization, action and storytelling - and in a movie that's basically 80% of the important stuff. Don't know anybody who disagrees on that.

#7 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (445 posts) -

Haven't seen it yet, but it has a very high aggregate score on rotten tomatoes.

#8 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Oh wow I may go see this. I actually liked the first one pretty well.

#9 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25586 posts) -

Most certainly worth the price of admission, though I think I liked the first more.

#10 Edited by Serraph105 (27533 posts) -

Most certainly worth the price of admission, though I think I liked the first more.

I don't know believe any part of the second film had as emotional of a moment as when [spoiler] Rue died [\spoiler], but never the less I could hardly point to a scene in Catching Fire that was somehow worse than any scene in the first film. Maybe if you have come to really despise love triangles because of Twilight you might find yourself groaning at the scenes that put a bit more focus on that aspect of the story, but personally I think that would be grasping at straws.

#11 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25586 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

I don't know believe any part of the second film had as emotional of a moment as when [spoiler] Rue died [\spoiler], but never the less I could hardly point to a scene in Catching Fire that was somehow worse than any scene in the first film. Maybe if you have come to really despise love triangles because of Twilight you might find yourself groaning at the scenes that put a bit more focus on that aspect of the story, but personally I think that would be grasping at straws.

Don't care much about the love triangle. Both were good adaptations of the books, but I think the first film had more emotional weight behind it. Catching Fire was definitely more exciting, but I like the pace of the first more.

#12 Posted by mattbbpl (10551 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

I'm actually one of those who has grown to despise the love triangle story lines, but I can definitely look past them if there's something else compelling to grasp on to.

I'm glad to hear that it's been well-received. As I'll end up watching these whether I want to or not, it's good to hear that it will probably be enjoyable.

For what it's worth, I thought the first one was OK. It wasn't special, but it wasn't boring, either. It sounds like this one is largely regarded as the better of the two.

#13 Edited by SaintLeonidas (25586 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I'm actually one of those who has grown to despise the love triangle story lines, but I can definitely look past them if there's something else compelling to grasp on to.

I'm glad to hear that it's been well-received. As I'll end up watching these whether I want to or not, it's good to hear that it will probably be enjoyable.

For what it's worth, I thought the first one was OK. It wasn't special, but it wasn't boring, either. It sounds like this one is largely regarded as the better of the two.

Good thing about the love triangle here is that most of the characters involved understand how insignificant their feelings are compared to the rest of the story.

#14 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

i'm definately checking it out, i'm in love with JLaw :)

#15 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

sounds awesome guys :) definitely watching it this Thursday then!!!!!!

#16 Posted by mattbbpl (10551 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Good thing about the love triangle here is that most of the characters involved understand how insignificant their feelings are compared to the rest of the story.

Yeah, I just saw it this evening and I was thoroughly pleased. The love triangle thing was handled in a tasteful way with the proper scope, and it really played up the political and social tensions in the universe which gave the plot some significant weight.

I'd recommend it.

The preview for Divergent looked pretty good, too. I'll have to keep that on my radar.

#17 Posted by ferrari2001 (16639 posts) -

It's scored an 85% on rottentomatoes and has been generally well received by audiences. Plus it's expected to pull close to 160 million it's first weekend. I'd say it's a pretty good bet that it's worth seeing.

#18 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

The book was good. I'm interested to see how they'll handle the third one. I don't see the third book's ending translating well to cinema at all.

#19 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

I really didn't like the last half, but this movie did a much better job at showing us the world that it takes place in. The part in the arena maybe wasn't as good this time, but there was defintly more weight behind it

#20 Posted by lamprey263 (22254 posts) -

I didn't find it any better or worse than the original film.

#21 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (27929 posts) -

I think it's better than the first one in almost every regard. The stakes are higher, there's no more shaky-cam (camerawork is actually pretty good), the structure isn't as routine, and the acting is better, though Hoffman phones it in. The love triangle sucks, but it really isn't placed front and center. There are also a couple of cool new characters, one of which steals the show.

I was waiting for the first one to end. This one had a climax that actually surprised me (haven't read the books) and left me wanting more.

#22 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16937 posts) -

I think it's better than the first one in almost every regard. The stakes are higher, there's no more shaky-cam (camerawork is actually pretty good), the structure isn't as routine, and the acting is better, though Hoffman phones it in. The love triangle sucks, but it really isn't placed front and center. There are also a couple of cool new characters, one of which steals the show.

I was waiting for the first one to end. This one had a climax that actually surprised me (haven't read the books) and left me wanting more.

Would you agree that the actual games part itself was better in the first movie? While I liked the new movie better, it most certainly wasn't for the actual games themself which felt much shorter and pretty rushed as well as anti-climactic.

Oh and the love triangle thing could have been handled a bit better. As it stands, it REALLY makes Katniss look very skanky, and the lack of inner dialogue that is apparently present in the book (my GF went and read all the books after we saw the first movie) really makes it hard to understand what is going through Katniss's head...

#23 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27929 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Would you agree that the actual games part itself was better in the first movie? While I liked the new movie better, it most certainly wasn't for the actual games themself which felt much shorter and pretty rushed as well as anti-climactic.

Oh and the love triangle thing could have been handled a bit better. As it stands, it REALLY makes Katniss look very skanky, and the lack of inner dialogue that is apparently present in the book (my GF went and read all the books after we saw the first movie) really makes it hard to understand what is going through Katniss's head...

I wouldn't. The games in the first one did very little to interest me. The violence was tame and the overall formula had been done better. I didn't really care if we were going to get to the games or not in this one. Everything leading up to it interested me more. That's one of the reasons why I like this one more. By the time we finally get to the games, it seems like a retread of the first, but it tosses in a big twist at the tail end.

#24 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4870 posts) -

I would slap it down as one of the best films I seen for a long time.