Is The Joker a criminal genius, or an insane sociopath?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by KokutenNagaki (853 posts) -
I got a weird vibe from when when watching The Dark Knight. At times he seemed like one, then others he seemed like the other.
#2 Posted by jg4xchamp (46683 posts) -
Both. too many words to describe him.

Ledger and Nolan created a disturbing Joker.
#3 Posted by lostprodigy3141 (420 posts) -
Both. And more.
#4 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14271 posts) -

Based on the recent film and the comics over the years, it's a little of column A, and a little from column B.

#5 Posted by Scarface_tm431 (10063 posts) -
He's a mod who points eveyrone in the direction of the sticky, hours after the original post
#6 Posted by Darth_Tyrev (7072 posts) -
Both, I thought that was obvious.
#7 Posted by Tauruslink (6586 posts) -
Both. Afterall, genius and insanity are two sides of the same coin.
#8 Posted by remmbermytitans (7214 posts) -
I got a weird vibe from when when watching The Dark Knight. At times he seemed like one, then others he seemed like the other.KokutenNagaki

Believe it or not, I think he wasn't as much as a villian as he seemed, he had some VERY valid points. Why is Batman fighting for justice, when he himself is breaking the law?[spoiler] The Joker was trying to have Batman follow the law by having Batman turn himself in (and removing the mask)! The JOKER was fighting for injustice just as much as Batman was. Though killing people isn't right. And what about when he turned Harvey Dent? It was Commissioner Gordon's pride that got in the way of him not standing up to the corruption in his own Police force, causing Dent to become a villian. It really got me thinking about a lot of things actually. [/spoiler]
#9 Posted by lostprodigy3141 (420 posts) -

He's a mod who points eveyrone in the direction of the sticky, hours after the original postScarface_tm431

HHAHAHAHAH NO HES NOT!!!

#10 Posted by lostprodigy3141 (420 posts) -

[QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"]I got a weird vibe from when when watching The Dark Knight. At times he seemed like one, then others he seemed like the other.remmbermytitans

Believe it or not, I think he wasn't as much as a villian as he seemed, he had some VERY valid points. Why is Batman fighting for justice, when he himself is breaking the law? The Joker was trying to have Batman follow the law! The JOKER was fighting for injustice just as much as Batman was. Though killing people isn't right. And what about when he turned Harvey Dent? It was Commissioner Gordon's pride that got in the way of him not standing up to the corruption in his own Police force, causing Dent to become a villian. It really got me thinking about a lot of things actually.

*********SPOILER*************

The Joker proved his point by corrupting everyone's hero, Harvey Dent. So he basically won, had Wayne and Gordon decided not to lie to spare the public the disapointment and hopelessness of the truth...

Hope is never real, but there's always power in it

#11 Posted by remmbermytitans (7214 posts) -

[QUOTE="remmbermytitans"][QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"]I got a weird vibe from when when watching The Dark Knight. At times he seemed like one, then others he seemed like the other.lostprodigy3141

Believe it or not, I think he wasn't as much as a villian as he seemed, he had some VERY valid points. Why is Batman fighting for justice, when he himself is breaking the law? The Joker was trying to have Batman follow the law! The JOKER was fighting for injustice just as much as Batman was. Though killing people isn't right. And what about when he turned Harvey Dent? It was Commissioner Gordon's pride that got in the way of him not standing up to the corruption in his own Police force, causing Dent to become a villian. It really got me thinking about a lot of things actually.

The Joker proved his point by corrupting everyone's hero, Harvey Dent. So he basically won, had Wayne and Gordon decided not to lie to spare the public the disapointment and hopelessness of the truth...

Hope is never real, but there's always power in hope

Exactly. And by the way to use the spoiler thing, you do, {spoiler} *write things in here {/spolier} Just change the { into [.
#12 Posted by lostprodigy3141 (420 posts) -
[QUOTE="lostprodigy3141"]

[QUOTE="remmbermytitans"][QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"]I got a weird vibe from when when watching The Dark Knight. At times he seemed like one, then others he seemed like the other.remmbermytitans

Hope is never real, but there's always power in hope

Exactly. And by the way to use the spoiler thing, you do, {spoiler} *write things in here {/spolier} Just change the { into [.

ah, thank you. I've been trying to figure that out.

#13 Posted by super_mario_128 (23885 posts) -

'k, trying my best to avoid spoilers here. :P Question for those that have seen TDK: Does Ledger live up to the hype as The Joker, or is was his role hyped up solely because of his death?

DAMN BRITISH CINEMA! TDK isn't being released until July 24th here! :cry:

#14 Posted by lostprodigy3141 (420 posts) -

'k, trying my best to avoid spoilers here. :P Question for those that have seen TDK: Does Ledger live up to the hype as The Joker, or is was his role hyped up solely because of his death?

super_mario_128

He doesn't live up to it, he surpasses it. His death is actually worse for him because people are going to think he's getting praise out of pity and what not, when he's done a performance for the ages.

#15 Posted by KokutenNagaki (853 posts) -

super_mario_128
I don't know why some people even think Ledgers death would have anything to do with the hype, or his performance. His role as The Joker was amazing. He was disturbing, and funny at times. Once you see the movie, you will become enlightened.
#16 Posted by cricket_foreva (306 posts) -

super_mario_128

Although, i think some of the hype is due to his death, he certainly does a magnificant job in his portrayel of the joker. Ive seen it twice already and the movie as a whole is 9.6 - 9.7 / 10.

#17 Posted by Darth_Tyrev (7072 posts) -

super_mario_128

Both. Indeed if he hadn't died it would have been a great performance, but I still think it was amplified simply because throughout the film I couldn't help but thinking "I can't believe this character will never be able to return :cry:". It's basically like this is (Heath's version of) the Joker's one and only performance, so you want to savor every minute of it.

#18 Posted by super_mario_128 (23885 posts) -
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

KokutenNagaki

I don't know why some people even think Ledgers death would have anything to do with the hype, or his performance. His role as The Joker was amazing. He was disturbing, and funny at times. Once you see the movie, you will become enlightened.

His death will make people more sympathetic to him. Don't get me wrong, I like Ledger's talent, but pity will definately play a part in the hype. I can't wait to see it; he's already being tipped for an Oscar nomination. Good for him; a talent such as him deserves his name embedded in Oscar history.

#19 Posted by Darth_Tyrev (7072 posts) -
[QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

super_mario_128

His death will make people more sympathetic to him. Don't get me wrong, I like Ledger's talent, but pity will definately play a part in the hype. I can't wait to see it; he's already being tipped for an Oscar nomination. Good for him; a talent such as him deserves his name embedded in Oscar history.

He already has been nominated for an Oscar...

#20 Posted by super_mario_128 (23885 posts) -
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

Darth_Tyrev

:shock: It's that sucky British media again. :P

#21 Posted by 00Raziel00 (1221 posts) -
I would say hes both, he knows hes smart and insane and he enjoys it.
#22 Posted by Darth_Tyrev (7072 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darth_Tyrev"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="KokutenNagaki"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

super_mario_128

:shock: It's that sucky British media again. :P

Well I'm actually glad the British media has better things to report than who is being nominated for Oscars, which sadly can't be said for the media over here. And he was nominated for his role in Brokeback Mountain, if you were curious. Should've won too...

#23 Posted by super_mario_128 (23885 posts) -
Well I'm actually glad the British media has better things to report than who is being nominated for Oscars, which sadly can't be said for the media over here. And he was nominated for his role in Brokeback Mountain, if you were curious. Should've won too...

Darth_Tyrev

I remember a report regarding the new movie where Christian Bale commented on how he's upset his friend has died, and said that he deserves a nomination; this implying that he hadn't already been nominated and the reporting being a few days ago meaning the newspaper either had no idea, or the interview was actually a bit old. When was he nominated, by the way? That might help. I guess it's partly my fault aswell; I normally only read/watch the news for sport. :P

#24 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14271 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darth_Tyrev"]Well I'm actually glad the British media has better things to report than who is being nominated for Oscars, which sadly can't be said for the media over here. And he was nominated for his role in Brokeback Mountain, if you were curious. Should've won too...

super_mario_128

I remember a report regarding the new movie where Christian Bale commented on how he's upset his friend has died, and said that he deserves a nomination; this implying that he hadn't already been nominated and the reporting being a few days ago meaning the newspaper either had no idea, or the interview was actually a bit old. When was he nominated, by the way? That might help. I guess it's partly my fault aswell; I normally only read/watch the news for sport. :P

There's been heavy talk about Heath Ledger being nominated posthumorusly, but no one's been nominated for an award just yet. We won't find out until the academy makes their announcement, which won't be until mid-January, at the earliest.