Is the iPhone mankind's greatest invention? Ever?

  • 159 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

Screw the wheel, F*$% the combustion engine, and toss concrete and steel into the depths of hell.

The smartphone is, without a doubt, OUR greatest invention. Steve Jobs will be revered as god to the Cylons in the future. Eventually we will evolve into humans who don't do silly ALS Ice Bucket challenges when the fresh water could be used to save all the starving children in Africa. I mean, JESUS EFFING CHRIST!!

In the future, once everyone in the entire world blindly accepts evolution as our true history, we will focus our efforts towards learning and achieving new things. The smart phone is our first leap into quantum learning, folks.

We have endless information at our finger tips and apps like Facebook, Twitter, and all of Google's shit to keep track of all of us, skulking about like friggin burglars with money bags. But this is okay for now because no one out there really cares about you to actually track you with any harmful or shady intent. Just because it can be done illegally, doesn't mean it will. So when the big corporations finally become super transparent and can't sell our information to third parties anymore, we can live with our smart devices in peace.

Whatever the smart phone evolves into should be credited to Steve Jobs for innovating the smart phone...

MANKIND'S GREATEST INVENTION! EVER!

as of today, who knows what tomo wil brng.

Do you agree? I don't think any other invention tops it.

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8186 posts) -

Beer exists.

/thread

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

The internet is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

#4 Posted by lostrib (37701 posts) -

No

#5 Posted by KHAndAnime (13896 posts) -

I don't think Steve Jobs created the smart phone. He didn't create anything really...he worked with a lot of people who did though...and was an ass to them lol

#6 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7453 posts) -

Yeah totally.

#7 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

The internet is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

It used to be. But the smartphone has that and makes it portable. Can't beat that, sonny.

#8 Posted by ad1x2 (5673 posts) -

The iPhone wasn't even the first smartphone. In fact, the first smartphone turned 20 a few days ago.

#9 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

The iPhone wasn't even the first smartphone. In fact, the first smartphone turned 20 a few days ago.

Does it feel good being in the minority, kiddo? Hmmm!?

Your "knowledge" of what "really" happened will be lost 500 years from now. They'll laugh at people like you and laud people like me, who truly believe Steve Jobs is to be credited for starting the next phase of human evolution.

#10 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

The microprocessor is man's greatest invention.

#11 Edited by ad1x2 (5673 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

@ad1x2 said:

The iPhone wasn't even the first smartphone. In fact, the first smartphone turned 20 a few days ago.

Does it feel good being in the minority, kiddo? Hmmm!?

Your "knowledge" of what "really" happened will be lost 500 years from now. They'll laugh at people like you and laud people like me, who truly believe Steve Jobs is to be credited for starting the next phase of human evolution.

#12 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p: beer kills children

#13 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@lostrib said:

No

So... you disagree with everything I said? Or are just trying to start a quote chain around yourself for your brilliant response? Sooo selfish.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

I was remarking earlier today that stairs were one of the finest inventions humans have made, aside from the wheel.

I'd say the top-3 are the wheel, stairs and the screw.

And the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, it was the one that popularized the concept.

#15 Posted by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

@Master_Live said:

The internet is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

It used to be. But the smartphone has that and makes it portable. Can't beat that, sonny.

Can't beat an invention that makes that one such a good invention? Yeah... sure.

I can imagine the inventor of the torch saying the same thing about how it's portable and all, fire just can't beat that, sonny.

#16 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@SambaLele: There are other/better means to getting fire, Simba. The lighter is a better invention than the torch anyway, but not better than the smart phone.

#17 Posted by gago-gago (9541 posts) -

I remember watching a TV show about the greatest inventions of all times. I forgot what was number one or what was on the top ten but I do remember cell phones on the list and iPhones aren't the greatest. iPhone just did a lot of things right but they could always improve. I never owned an iPhone only iPad but if the next iPhone is a huge upgrade from the 5, I may ask for it as a gift.

#18 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I was remarking earlier today that stairs were one of the finest inventions humans have made, aside from the wheel.

I'd say the top-3 are the wheel, stairs and the screw.

And the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, it was the one that popularized the concept.

So had you not thought about the stairs earlier, stairs may have not be included in your list? How fickle of you.

Anyway, the wheel is cool, yea. But it's always just a part of something else better than it.

Screw is a good one. Doesn't touch the smart phone though. So screw what you think, bud.

#19 Posted by comp_atkins (31476 posts) -

the transistor is working it's way up humankind's list of top inventions. it's pretty much at or close to the point that humans have made more of them than anything else.... more than every letter printed in every book ever printed. more than every grain of rice ever grown worldwide over the past 10,000 years.

#20 Edited by PurpleLabel (302 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

the transistor is working it's way up humankind's list of top inventions. it's pretty much at or close to the point that humans have made more of them than anything else.... more than every letter printed in every book ever printed. more than every grain of rice ever grown worldwide over the past 10,000 years.

Didn't history channel have a 100 top inventions and the smart phone was number 1?

I for one agree that the iphone is the best invention ever. That's why I'm still using the first gen and I will never upgrade as long as it works. It's how steve jobs envisioned it, and it's perfection.

#21 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

I invite users to list their top 3 inventions of mankind's history if you have time to, or top 8, or top 24, or whatever.

#22 Edited by WolfgarTheQuiet (433 posts) -

Tesla Tower is the greatest invention destroyed by greedy capitalists. Without Tesla there would be no iphone

#23 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@WolfgarTheQuiet: Even Capitalism is better than Tesla Tower...

#24 Edited by WolfgarTheQuiet (433 posts) -

@geekinkinc: Why, cause Tesla Tower provides free energy for everyone. The top 500 have robbed the world wealth trough ways and means including destroying Tesla's work. How can you even think that.

Hope you not serious, cause, no offense but thats not something a smart person would say.

#25 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@WolfgarTheQuiet: I wasn't serious, hehe. Capitalism is up there though. It laid the foundation for the greatest country/plot of land in the history of the EARTH. Dinosaurs didn't have Capitalism and look at where it got 'em.

#26 Posted by achilles614 (4858 posts) -

@comp_atkins: 100% agreed on the transistor.

#27 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@achilles614 said:

@comp_atkins: 100% agreed on the transistor.

Y'all two can go make out in the corner for all I care, sheesh.

#28 Posted by WolfgarTheQuiet (433 posts) -

@geekinkinc: :)

#29 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@comp_atkins said:

the transistor is working it's way up humankind's list of top inventions. it's pretty much at or close to the point that humans have made more of them than anything else.... more than every letter printed in every book ever printed. more than every grain of rice ever grown worldwide over the past 10,000 years.

Didn't history channel have a 100 top inventions and the smart phone was number 1?

I for one agree that the iphone is the best invention ever. That's why I'm still using the first gen and I will never upgrade as long as it works. It's how steve jobs envisioned it, and it's perfection.

Steve didn't invent smart phones or touch screens. Those had been around but not mainstream for awhile.

#30 Edited by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

the transistor is working it's way up humankind's list of top inventions. it's pretty much at or close to the point that humans have made more of them than anything else.... more than every letter printed in every book ever printed. more than every grain of rice ever grown worldwide over the past 10,000 years.

When quantum computing takes off, the transistor will be relatively forgotten.

#31 Posted by Jacanuk (4742 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

I don't think Steve Jobs created the smart phone. He didn't create anything really...he worked with a lot of people who did though...and was an ass to them lol

Even though this is clearly a troll thread with more than one troll post, i can't help but answer this.

Actually what you probably meant to say was that Jobs didn't "invent" anything new, which is true but Jobs have never claimed he was an inventor, he has numerous times and if you read his biography claimed to be a innovator, meaning he took existing concepts and either added to them or combined them to make a new product, and thats also what he has claimed to be. And Jobs like all self-made men have to be a tough boss who takes no prisoners, otherwise he would have been run over and we would never have had apple be what it is today

#32 Edited by comp_atkins (31476 posts) -

i don't have a full list but #1 imo is and will likely always be writing

i don't see how anything else even comes close.

@foxhound_fox that's why it would never reach #1

#33 Edited by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@comp_atkins: Writing is a good one too. But it's engulfed by a device that makes learning, communication, and networking easier and even makes writing look like an invention made by monkey people. The smart phone is a huge part of human evolution/development. Eventually we will all become one singularity, as the the god of life intended.

#34 Posted by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

@SambaLele: There are other/better means to getting fire, Simba. The lighter is a better invention than the torch anyway, but not better than the smart phone.

There you have it. The lighter is better then the torch at what? Portability? Great. So the smartphone is better then the internet because it's better at being portable Gaekankanc? Thing is: they are not better then fire/internet -> they are useless without it. But fire/internet doesn't depend on one or another specific device (portable or not) to exist and function.

Though I'm not saying the internet or the fire is the greatest invention of all time, because there simply isn't such a thing. Though I see you are just trolling.

#35 Edited by thehig1 (2289 posts) -

The Iphone is not the first or even the best smartphone, I'd actually rank it lower down in the list of current smart phones out now.

#36 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3852 posts) -

I'm going to stick with Soap as the greatest invention.

#37 Posted by Serraph105 (28159 posts) -

take away the internet and where does the iPhone stand?

#38 Posted by JimB (241 posts) -

The printing press that led to the ready access of knowledge that led to everything else invented.

#39 Edited by InEMplease (6343 posts) -

My vote goes for music.

#40 Edited by leif3141 (117 posts) -

Bow and Arrow for sure. Wouldn't have had a mankind without it

#41 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -

@Serraph105: That's got nothing to do with anything, Slick. If we start taking away key components to inventions then nothing was actually really invented, ever. The wheel could have been "invented" by some monkey man seeing a log roll down a hill and applying it to everyday use. The wheel was probably the best at one point in time, but other ones took its place.

When an invention functions by taking other inventions and making them even better/ more accessible then should it not be better than it's component? Sure, the wheel is awesome, but the automobile is a better invention.

The smart phone will make humanity function better as a whole. Everyone will have online devices like it in the future and whatever it is will probably be the new best invention. It's my opinion that most of our electric technology like the personal computer, Artificial intelligence, and televisions that increase our potential to learn and share which is why I see the smart phone as the greatest invention because it gives you access to the world.

#42 Posted by Korvus (3948 posts) -

What an interesting TC...it's a mix of troll, ADHD and douche (sorry =P). It might just work!

#43 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

@Master_Live said:

The internet is the greatest invention since sliced bread.

It used to be. But the smartphone has that and makes it portable. Can't beat that, sonny.

Smart phone didn't invent the internet though. Fail....

And no the iPhone is not the greatest invention ever. Heat and plumbing. /thread

#44 Posted by AFBrat77 (24139 posts) -

No, I don't even have a smart phone and I don't need one. It is unnecessary.

#45 Posted by AFBrat77 (24139 posts) -

@JimB said:

The printing press that led to the ready access of knowledge that led to everything else invented.

This gets my vote as well.

#46 Edited by Dogswithguns (10785 posts) -

What a $600 piece of rip off.. and people fail for it.

#47 Posted by Serraph105 (28159 posts) -

@geekinkinc said:

@Serraph105: That's got nothing to do with anything, Slick. If we start taking away key components to inventions then nothing was actually really invented, ever. The wheel could have been "invented" by some monkey man seeing a log roll down a hill and applying it to everyday use. The wheel was probably the best at one point in time, but other ones took its place.

When an invention functions by taking other inventions and making them even better/ more accessible then should it not be better than it's component? Sure, the wheel is awesome, but the automobile is a better invention.

The smart phone will make humanity function better as a whole. Everyone will have online devices like it in the future and whatever it is will probably be the new best invention. It's my opinion that most of our electric technology like the personal computer, Artificial intelligence, and televisions that increase our potential to learn and share which is why I see the smart phone as the greatest invention because it gives you access to the world.

I actually agree with most of what you say (especially the third paragraph), but my point is that a smartphone alone is not the access to the world that you claim it to be. Take away my smartphone and I can still access the world via internet with several other devices. You take away the internet however and just like the smartphone those devices become little more than expensive media players. The internet is what really gives you access to the world's largest source of information, smartphones are just a way of connecting to what is really mankind's greatest invention.

#48 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42978 posts) -

@musicalmac, is that you?

#49 Posted by GeekInkINC (195 posts) -
@SambaLele said:

@geekinkinc said:

@SambaLele: There are other/better means to getting fire, Simba. The lighter is a better invention than the torch anyway, but not better than the smart phone.

There you have it. The lighter is better then the torch at what? Portability? Great. So the smartphone is better then the internet because it's better at being portable Gaekankanc? Thing is: they are not better then fire/internet -> they are useless without it. But fire/internet doesn't depend on one or another specific device (portable or not) to exist and function.

Though I'm not saying the internet or the fire is the greatest invention of all time, because there simply isn't such a thing. Though I see you are just trolling.

The lighter is better than the torch (a creating fire) because it took a previous invention and put it in the palm of your hand to use at any time. Who uses torches anymore anyway? lol

The internet is awesome, yea. DUH! But that phone in your hand can USE the internet to it's full potential (almost, not yet, hopefully soon, though) and you can ALSO Skype your mom OR even be in a business meeting that lands you your future career with this little bugger of a device...

This is you, "OMG! Tesla Tower, the screw, stairs, music, and writing came before so that means it's nothing without it!! Wah Wah Wah!!" So whatever other invention you think "made" the smart phone happen is still great and all, but it's in the past and isn't fine tuned, like the smart phone, to make humans better people overall. Those other things helped us evolve, yea, but the smart device is our first step into accelerated learning and sharing. Once we figure out a way to get an effective online education system going worldwide (I'm talking internet capable devices in the palms of nearly every person in the world), there's no telling what we will be able to achieve with everyone sharing what they know.

I can't believe you don't see it.

#50 Edited by thegerg (15458 posts) -

No. I'd vote for something like writing, language, or commerce.