Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Is the St. George flag racist?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9217620/St-Georges-flag-is-a-racist-symbol-says-a-quarter-of-the-English.html

The survey found that while 80 per cent linked the British flag with such feelings, only 61 per cent associated them with English one.

By contrast, the Scottish and the Welsh were far more likely to feel pride in their flag – the St Andrew’s Cross and Red Dragon respectively – than the English in theirs.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts
Loading Video...

my opinion

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

There is so much racism in this world, and people care about a red cross with a white background? How is that racist at all? It's not like the Confederate Flag, which was made in opposition to the US, being flown in US cities. Im sick of white people feeling racially offended for other races, as if they are of such a low capability, they cannot even moderate their own views.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

It's not that the flag itself is racist, but outside of sport events it's almost exclusively used by racists.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Wait, how is it racist? What does it stand for? Is it like the US Confederate flag, where it was actually made to stand for something racist?

Anyway, white people will be the downfall...of white people.

On a separate note, I've seen the guy in that video before, he seems like a jackass, point or no point. Is he a known racist or just a conservative?

*Ah, he is from Infowars...'nuff said *backs away slowly*

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait, how is it racist? What does it stand for? Is it like the US Confederate flag, where it was actually made to stand for something racist?

On a separate note, I've seen the guy in that video before, he seems like a jackass, point or no point. Is he a known racist or just a conservative?

How is it possible for a western educated person (I assume you are) not to know the origin of the flag of England?

It's from the middle ages and is a thousand year old. It has no connection to "racism" whatosever.

Anyways, liberals and leftist are the cancer of the western world and will undoubtly lead to it's demise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@jointed said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

How is it possible for a western educated person (I assume you are) not to know the origin of the flag of England?

It's from the middle ages and is a thousand year old. It has no connection to "racism" whatosever.

Anyways, liberals and leftist are the cancer of the western world and will undoubtly lead to it's demise.

Dude, it's one flag out of thousands, it's not unreasonable to not know what it stands for/where it comes from.

Even if England is the center of the universe...

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

OH SHUT THE HELL UP. ANYTHING ENGLISH OR WHITE THESE DAYS ITS RACIST. YES I NO IM IN CAPS..

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Racist why...? Fanatics and fascist Nationalists? You'll find those everywhere, and these groups use their flags, sure, and they're xenophobes, sure... but does the flag actually have any racist implications in and of itself? I mean if you compare it to a Nazi flag, or the Spanish flag with the eagle during Franco's regime, or the Confederate flag, which all have fascist or hateful implications behind them, St George's Cross is simply another flag with a cross symbolizing a Saint. If it's being used by hooligans on occasion then that's a shame, but it doesn't mean the flag is racist.

Besides St George is Catalunya's patron saint too, and I like it :3

Barcelona's Coat of Arms, with both St George's Cross and La Senyera.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Cause the English Defense league uses it?

Well if that's the case then there are plenty of flags out there one could consider racist if it's used by a racist group. My own included.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@skipper847 said:

OH SHUT THE HELL UP. ANYTHING ENGLISH OR WHITE THESE DAYS ITS RACIST. YES I NO IM IN CAPS..

This guy knows what's up^

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Many flags are offensive. Israels flag which prominently has the star of David emblazoned in the middle of it, or Nazi Germany's, the Italian Social Republics flag, or Imperial Japans (which is still used today), the Confederate Flag, betting the American flag is highly offensive in many parts of the world as well, and of course Union Jack... etc. But in the end, they are just flags. It's the actions of the people who the flag represents that's racist, not the flag itself. Banning them wouldn't miraculously end intolerance or the history of it, if anything we should keep them around as reminders.

Personally, I think we should get rid of all these flags and just use this:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Why are you worried about a millennia old flag when my oppressive white penis is right here in my lap? Jesus. Where are your priorities?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

Why are you worried about a millennia old flag when my oppressive white penis is right here in my lap? Jesus. Where are your priorities?

It blue not white. :P

Some one asked a question on here at Christmas which was. What colour Christmas lights do you like best. I didn't answer as thought it be racist against lights.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Well it seems some fellow englishmen need an uppercut to the moon. I had a coffee today I put white milk in it it went from black to light brown is that racist too.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FireEmblem_Man

@ianhh6 said:

Racist why...? Fanatics and fascist Nationalists? You'll find those everywhere, and these groups use their flags, sure, and they're xenophobes, sure... but does the flag actually have any racist implications in and of itself? I mean if you compare it to a Nazi flag, or the Spanish flag with the eagle during Franco's regime, or the Confederate flag, which all have fascist or hateful implications behind them, St George's Cross is simply another flag with a cross symbolizing a Saint. If it's being used by hooligans on occasion then that's a shame, but it doesn't mean the flag is racist.

Well, the reason I'm asking this question is because a town that founded St. George's day decided not to celebrate it because their town become so multicultural and fear they will offend its citizens. It's like banning Christmas because it represents the Christian beliefs of Christ and would offend a ton of islam immigrants.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: That's a pretty bad reason... if a town has become very diverse and multicultural it should be celebrating more holidays, not supressing them. Like you say, it'd be like not celebrating Christmas, instead o letting each one celebrate whatever it is they follow.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FireEmblem_Man

@ianhh6 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: That's a pretty bad reason... if a town has become very diverse and multicultural it should be celebrating more holidays, not supressing them. Like you say, it'd be like not celebrating Christmas, instead o letting each one celebrate whatever it is they follow.

Oh, I agree it's a poor reason, had a lot of people up in arms about it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ianhh6 said:

Well, the reason I'm asking this question is because a town that founded St. George's day decided not to celebrate it because their town become so multicultural and fear they will offend its citizens. It's like banning Christmas because it represents the Christian beliefs of Christ and would offend a ton of islam immigrants.

Easily offended Muslim immigrants can go to one of the many mainly muslim countries in the world to not be offended by christian, jewish, buddhist or whatever celebrations.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Context is important, for instance if racist white supremacist nationalist groups are appropriating the use of the flag in promotion of their xenophobic ultranationalistic ideals then it will carry around that symbolism and meaning for many.

It's like saying there was nothing inherently racist about the swastika, in fact very dated and positive beliefs surrounding the symbol long predate when the Nazis appropriated the symbol, though Eastern cultures still use it since it doesn't carry same connotation with them but in Western society the symbol is quite a notorious one.

Again, context is everything, and prevalence, so if the only people waving the flag around incessantly are a bunch of racists then yeah they're basically hijacking is symbolism.

Anyhow, article was best summed up with these short paragraphs:

Almost a quarter (24 per cent), of the English said they considered their flag to be racist, compared to 10 per cent of Scots and seven per cent of Welsh, when asked about their own flags.

The report blames the “extreme street hooligans of the English Defence League” for “toxifying” the St George’s Cross, although it says politicians should also take responsibility for failing to “speak up for the inclusive patriotism of the English majority”.

It draws a clear parallel with the situation in Scotland and Wales, where civic leaders have done more to “counter rejectionist or exclusive versions of national identity”.

And there you go.

But I can only guess TC brought this up for no other reason than to make hot air about PC culture; hope that's not the case.

gameplaya9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameplaya9
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Flags cant be racist. They are symbols which mean whatever people want them to mean. Only people can be racist.