Is Terminator 1 and 2 James Camerons best movies as of yet ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Personally i feel Terminator 1 and 2 best James Cameron's movies as of yet. I also loved Aliens 2, True lies very much. While many others seem to praise The Abyss, Titanic or Avatar more.

Whats your opinion guys? :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yes.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Terminator 2 was so much fun. It did not overstay it's welcome.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Terminator, Terminator 2, and Aliens are by far the best. That said, True Lies and The Abyss were quite enjoyable.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman said:

Personally i feel Terminator 1 and 2 best James Cameron's movies as of yet. I also loved Aliens 2, True lies very much. While many others seem to praise The Abyss, Titanic or Avatar more.

Whats your opinion guys? :)

Not gonna judge Titanic or Avatar, since I haven't seen them. However, based on word of mouth, it appears that even Avatar fans typically don't think that Avatar is one of James Cameron's best movies. So I'm fairly willing to make the assumption that that's not one of his best.

Titanic still seems to be fairly well received (better than Avatar, at least), so maybe that one is still in the running.

Anyway, the thing about James Cameron is that he hasn't done that many movies AT ALL (not counting stuff like his documentaries). By my count, there's The Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic, and Avatar. That's 7 movies in a span of 30 years. If we are willing to eliminate True Lies and Avatar from the running (I've met very few people who've thought those were his best movies), then that only leaves 5 movies left in the running: Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, The Abyss, and Titanic. Picking any 2 of those choices at random cannot be much of a difficult or controversial decision, simply because the pickings are so slim.

Anyway, I'm gonna leave Titanic in there simply because people still seem to like it and I can't say it sucks since I haven't seen it. I will cut out The Abyss, though. It was good, but it just rubbed me the wrong way with its overbearing sentimentality. I want to eliminate Terminator 2, but I really can't. As a sequel to The Terminator, I despise it. But as a movie looked at in a vacuum, it's effective as shit. My personal favorites? The Terminator and Aliens. But I can't really say that they're the best.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Terminator's my choice for his best work.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I would put Titanic up there, a real epic.

When DiCaprio died, a part of me died too.

♪ahhhh ahhhh ahhhhhh♪

Because I will be waiting for him at the top of the stairs...always.

Loading Video...

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Cameron has made a good amount stuff over the years. Terminator 1 is definitely up there, if not number 1, as his best work. Aliens get either a tie or a close second in my opinion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Just checked Cameron's IMDb and it seems like he got 3 more Avatar movies planned out. As well as 2 more Terminator movies. Seems like he going to have his hands full for quite bit of time. Best of luck to him. :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

I really like the Abyss.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

@behardy24 said:

Just checked Cameron's IMDb and it seems like he got 3 more Avatar movies planned out. As well as 2 more Terminator movies. Seems like he going to have his hands full for quite bit of time. Best of luck to him. :)

Firstly, his credit for the upcoming Terminator movies is only a writing credit for the characters. He's not doing any Terminator movies for the foreseeable future. It's just that the upcoming planned trilogy of movies (starting with Terminator Genysis or however the hell they spelled that movie's title) is a quasi-reboot using characters created by James Cameron. His involvement in the new movies basically amounts to started the Terminator franchise back in the 1980's, and probably the makers of the new movie having a few chats with him and asking him what he thinks of their ideas. In any case, these aren't his movies. He's not directing, he's not producing, and the writing credit only lists him for "characters".

Secondly, don't put too much faith in IMDB. Especially with "announced". IMDB has listed Hellboy 3 as "announced" under Guillermo Del Toro's page for the longest time, even though he's probably never gonna freaking make it. And even with just James Cameron, do you have any idea how long Battle Angel has been listed as "announced"? It's been a long ass time, but that doesn't mean he's actually gotten anything done on it and it doesn't mean he ever will. That's the equivalent of "yeah, I plan to get around to it eventually."

Movies listed as "pre-production" mean a bit more, since there's actually some work being done. But even that's sort of iffy, since the work being done might result in "gee, this movie is too unfeasible so we're gonna scrap it". James Cameron definitely wants 3 more Avatar movies and he's definitely working on them, but I very much doubt that he's far enough along in the process for us to state that he's still gonna be working on new Avatar movies in 2018. Avatar 2 is probably definitely gonna happen, but a whole lot of shit could happen to turn those "announced" three avatar sequels into one sequel before he moves onto other stuff.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Along with Aliens, James Cameron used to be one of my favorites until he became a sell-out.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Titanic says Hello:-) I really enjoyed it and its one of my fave movies of all time. Avatar was pretty amazing aswell.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 indzman

@xdude85 said:

Along with Aliens, James Cameron used to be one of my favorites until he became a sell-out.

Why sell out ? =P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrGeezer

@xdude85 said:

What do you mean by "he became a sell-out"?

I'm just really curious, because it's not like the dude has a long history of getting hired to do other people's shit. He was most prolific during the 80's and 90's, with Avatar being his only "real" movie in the last 15 years. Meanwhile, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator 2 were all released between 1984 and 1991. The dude's been directing for 30 years, and more than half of his "real" movies were made in the 7 year period when he was first getting started. One of those movies wasn't even an original property. Fox was gonna make an Alien sequel regardless, and James Cameron got the job.

So...what exactly do you mean by "sell-out", and how did James Cameron become a sell-out? Personally, I never thought of him as a sell-out. Say what you want about the man, you could even say that he flat out sucks and I'd at least understand. Okay...all his movies are shit. I don't agree, but I don't feel like arguing that. But "sell-out"? If anything, he seems to be the anti-sell-out. He pumped out movies much more prolifically when he was an up-and-comer, he got his wealth and fame based on skill and talent. And then once he was in a position where he could do whatever the **** he wanted to do (and I'm sure many studios would have loved to hire him after his post-Titanic success), he spent a decade doing his underwater exploration shit while only occasionally resurfacing to do a "real" movie whenever he feels like it. I could understand if you said that he recently became SHITTY as a director. But him recently becoming a sell-out? If anything, it looks to me like he recently has just been doing exactly what he wanted. Which is kind of the OPPOSITE of being a "sell-out", at least in my mind.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 indzman

@MrGeezer said:

@xdude85 said:

What do you mean by "he became a sell-out"?

I'm just really curious, because it's not like the dude has a long history of getting hired to do other people's shit. He was most prolific during the 80's and 90's, with Avatar being his only "real" movie in the last 15 years. Meanwhile, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator 2 were all released between 1984 and 1991. The dude's been directing for 30 years, and more than half of his "real" movies were made in the 7 year period when he was first getting started. One of those movies wasn't even an original property. Fox was gonna make an Alien sequel regardless, and James Cameron got the job.

So...what exactly do you mean by "sell-out", and how did James Cameron become a sell-out? Personally, I never thought of him as a sell-out. Say what you want about the man, you could even say that he flat out sucks and I'd at least understand. Okay...all his movies are shit. I don't agree, but I don't feel like arguing that. But "sell-out"? If anything, he seems to be the anti-sell-out. He pumped out movies much more prolifically when he was an up-and-comer, he got his wealth and fame based on skill and talent. And then once he was in a position where he could do whatever the **** he wanted to do (and I'm sure many studios would have loved to hire him after his post-Titanic success), he spent a decade doing his underwater exploration shit while only occasionally resurfacing to do a "real" movie whenever he feels like it. I could understand if you said that he recently became SHITTY as a director. But him recently becoming a sell-out? If anything, it looks to me like he recently has just been doing exactly what he wanted. Which is kind of the OPPOSITE of being a "sell-out", at least in my mind.

Yep, i'm curious too how he's a sell out lol.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I think that The Terminator 1 and 2 as well as The Alien Series are one of the best sci-fi films

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

Yes they are.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Nah, that's obviously Avatar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The first Terminator and Aliens for me. The Abyss is a distant third.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

He He. Aliens. I loved Bill Paxton's peformance in that movie.

"Hey, Vasquez. Have you ever been mistaken for a man?" ☺

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Of course alot of "manly" dudes here aren't going to say Titanic. But it really is his best work. Then for me following that would be Aliens.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

personally i like the 1st two terminators the best but there is something to be said for the guy winning 11 oscars for a story everyone already knew how it turned out.

that shit took talent.