is most of the gamespot community neoliberal?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll is most of the gamespot community neoliberal? (23 votes)

yes 26%
no 74%

From what I have seen I would say yes. The majority of people who post in OT who talk about politics and economics love the Austrian school of economics, Fredrick Hayek, Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises, Murray Rothbard, Ayn Rand, etc.

• 
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#51 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4209 Posts

Lol no. This is mostly conservative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#52 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The younger you are, the more liberal you tend to be. Most posters here probably fall in that category.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@sonicare said:

The younger you are, the more liberal you tend to be. Most posters here probably fall in that category.

I'm 39 and more liberal now than I ever was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@sonicare said:

lol that's a dumb generalization.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#55 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@sonicare said:

Not really. I think it's fairly known that tends to be the case. Younger people, historically, tend to hold more progressive views. Dumb to deny it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@sonicare said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@sonicare said:

Not really. I think it's fairly known that tends to be the case. Younger people, historically, tend to hold more progressive views. Dumb to deny it.

Sure younger people are more liberal yeah, but that doesn't mean a young person gets more conservative the older they get. That's how I read your post.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

On economics, I think so. On social issues, particularly involving race and/or gender, it tends to be pretty conservative here. Not surprising given the demographics.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@dave123321 said:

If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain

I used to fall pretty much all the way to the left in my younger years...as I get older I am moving further and further right especially on economic issues.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#60  Edited By Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

There was a prolific user here, he was hardcore neocon and as a result OT was split. The guy loved to complain about PC and made Arab jokes but he got away with it because guess what, PC is also a nice way to cover up your racism!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@silkylove said:

On economics, I think so. On social issues, particularly involving race and/or gender, it tends to be pretty conservative here. Not surprising given the demographics.

Really? Then I wonder what you consider being "not conservative" on social issues, particularly involving race and/or gender.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@dave123321 said:

According to Paul Addison of Edinburgh University, that is a quote falsely attributed to Winston Churchill. I would not take it as a certainty in life.

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Only weirdos and College freshman like Hayek and Rand et al

FACTS. SO many college frosh or sophs love to preach Rand, it would be humorous if it wasn't so sad. They also act like they are the #1 Libertarian experts in the world.

And no, hardly anyone here is neo-liberal. Neo-liberals are like the Clintons. If you aren't a wealthy real estate mogul or some other 1%er, you are not a neo-liberal.

Most Spotters seem to be run of the mill republicans. They vote GOP because they think the democrats hate fiscal responsibility. They are wrong, and facts show this as wrong, but that is american politics right now.

The GOP stole the middle class under Reagan as a voting block

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@sonicare said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@sonicare said:

SOCIALLY progressive.

Economically young people lean right wing (hoard all money for me! Taxes are bad mkay!)

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@silkylove said:

Really? Then I wonder what you consider being "not conservative" on social issues, particularly involving race and/or gender.

Victim blaming or putting the victim on trial in the shooting of unarmed black men. Assumption that they must've done something to deserve death. Starting off with the assumption that the lack of women in STEM fields is a result of a gender-based lack of aptitude in those fields as opposed to patriarchy and discrepancies in pay/opportunity for women. Arguing that affirmative action is "reverse discrimination" when the fact is that the two groups who have benefited most from it are white women (modern Af-Ac) followed by white men (G.I. Bill/New Deal). Or even topic titles such as "Can guys just be friends with a girl?" which start with the assumption that the majority of men are sex fiends who cannot control themselves (should be just as offensive to men as women). Comments on the Chelsea Manning thread, the sexual assault myth thread. The lack of threads or dismissal of art/music/film by women and people of color. The love of Ayn Rand. Stuff like that. Not coming from everybody here, but from enough that I've noticed it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#66 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Always found it funny when conservatives use this quote since so many of them so blatantly anti-intellectual.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GreySeal9

@Master_Live said:

@silkylove said:

I think if you took a closer look at the discussions here, you'd see what he means. Tons of racially insensitive views and non-progressive attitudes about women on this forum. Just look at the Gamergate mess.

The only thing that seems leftwing about OT to me is that people on this forum love to hate on religion (which I actually find a bit tiresome despite being a huge lib). Also, there is lots of support for gay marriage, but some of it seems to be inspired more by annoyance at social conservatives than anything.

People are just typically too immature about race and gender on this forum for me to really think of OT as progressive on said issues. But maybe that probably has more to do with lack of exposure to women and black people than any embrace of rightwing politics. Still, it was telling that some of the Gamergate tards were embracing Breitbart.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Master_Live said:

@silkylove said:

I think if you took a closer look at the discussions here, you'd see what he means. Tons of racially insensitive views and non-progressive attitudes about women on this forum. Just look at the Gamergate mess.

The only thing that seems leftwing about OT to me is that people on this forum love to hate on religion (which I actually find a bit tiresome despite being a huge lib). Also, there is lots of support for gay marriage, but some of it seems to be inspired more by annoyance at social conservatives than anything.

People are just typically too immature about race and gender on this forum for me to really think of OT as progressive on said issues. But maybe that probably has more to do with lack of exposure to women and black people than any embrace of rightwing politics. Still, it was telling that some of the Gamergate tards were embracing Breitbart.

That's because most hipsters and SJWs care about secular humanism/atheism+, gay rights and NOTHING else. That is the "holy grail/sacred cow" for them. Pretty much everything else is expendable and/or not worth their time, money and energy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#69  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@dave123321 said:

Always found it funny when conservatives use this quote since so many of them so blatantly anti-intellectual.

Always found it more funny that liberals think that they have the holy grail and that everyone else is just morons for not seeing their "right"

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GreySeal9

@samanthademeste said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Master_Live said:

@silkylove said:

That's because most hipsters and SJWs care about secular humanism/atheism+, gay rights and NOTHING else. That is the "holy grail/sacred cow" for them. Pretty much everything else is expendable and/or not worth their time, money and energy.

This makes no sense for several reasons, but I'll just point out the most obvious ones:

1. The vast majority of people on OT are not SJWs. Most people on this forum dislike SJWs.

2. SWJs do not only care about secular humanism/atheism. If they did, they wouldn't get so much backlash from gamers for having a srong feminist point of view.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@dave123321 said:

Always found it more funny that liberals think that they have the holy grail and that everyone else is just morons for not seeing their "right"

Calling you a moron/=/calling everyone else morons. If a liberal called you a moron, it was probably because you were being moronic (based on your post history) rather than having a different POV.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#72 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@dave123321 said:

Calling you a moron/=/calling everyone else morons. If a liberal called you a moron, it was probably because you were being moronic (based on your post history) rather than having a different POV.

Thanks for proving my point.

Its always funny to come on here and listen to how some people assume their own highly subjective opinion is the right one and everyone else who don't agree are just morons.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@dave123321 said:

Thanks for proving my point.

Its always funny to come on here and listen to how some people assume their own highly subjective opinion is the right one and everyone else who don't agree are just morons.

To borrow a phrase from thegerg, you seem pretty confused.

I'm saying that if someone calls you a moron, it is not necessarily because you disagree with them. Sometimes you're simply making moronic points.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@GreySeal9:

Most people who have their whole lives revolve around secular humanism and gay rights could be considered hipsters. It is definitely a sacred cow for them.