Is marijuana prohibition going down?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

I'm watching this one closely. I think there's been a tectonic shift in the public attitude towards marijuana, beginning in the 90's (the backlash to the whole 'just say no! One joint will fvck you up for life! And pot smokers are commies!!' 1980's) and I don't really see anything stopping the progressive relaxation of marijuana laws.

I know a lot of you younger people on here don't realize how many functional people you know smoke weed, because they hide that from you. When you get my age, your eyes will open: and unbelievable amount of people who you'd never think would ever touch the stuff smoke up on a regular basis. I personally know teachers, law enforcement officers, doctors, physicists, and even clergymen (well, man) who fire up at least occasionally. Of course most hide it from the eyes of the young, because it is still illegal and the young have loud mouths.

It's no big deal, and I'm glad people are finally realizing that. I look forward to the day I can walk down to the local smoke shop and pick up some dro as easily as picking up a 6-pack.

#2 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

The movie that started it all

It always gives me a good laugh.

#3 Posted by MrGeezer (56755 posts) -

I'm watching this one closely. I think there's been a tectonic shift in the public attitude towards marijuana, beginning in the 90's (the backlash to the whole 'just say no! One joint will fvck you up for life! And pot smokers are commies!!' 1980's) and I don't really see anything stopping the progressive relaxation of marijuana laws.

I know a lot of you younger people on here don't realize how many functional people you know smoke weed, because they hide that from you. When you get my age, your eyes will open: and unbelievable amount of people who you'd never think would ever touch the stuff smoke up on a regular basis. I personally know teachers, law enforcement officers, doctors, physicists, and even clergymen (well, man) who fire up at least occasionally. Of course most hide it from the eyes of the young, because it is still illegal and the young have loud mouths.

It's no big deal, and I'm glad people are finally realizing that. I look forward to the day I can walk down to the local smoke shop and pick up some dro as easily as picking up a 6-pack.

br0kenrabbit
I see marijuana laws continuing to be relaxed, but I don't see it being legalized for recreational use any time soon. Best case scenario: it's still illegal, but no one's gonna bust you up for it unless you're smoking it in public.
#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

I see marijuana laws continuing to be relaxed, but I don't see it being legalized for recreational use any time soon. Best case scenario: it's still illegal, but no one's gonna bust you up for it unless you're smoking it in public. MrGeezer

Personally, I think the government will soon drop it from Schedule I and leave it up to the individual states, but I eventually see it becoming legal for recreation in all 50. It's just some need a little more time to let the old crazies die off so they stop voting.

#5 Posted by MrGeezer (56755 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] I see marijuana laws continuing to be relaxed, but I don't see it being legalized for recreational use any time soon. Best case scenario: it's still illegal, but no one's gonna bust you up for it unless you're smoking it in public. br0kenrabbit

Personally, I think the government will soon drop it from Schedule I and leave it up to the individual states, but I eventually see it becoming legal for recreation in all 50. It's just some need a little more time to let the old crazies die off so they stop voting.

The only reason I could see it being legalized is for tax revenue or something. I mean, even if it were legalized, I'm sure its use would probably still be prohibited in public areas. And if you're smoking it at home, who cares if it's legal or not? Doesn't make a difference one way or the other. The reason I don't see it being legalized (everywhere) isn't because I think people want it to be a crime. The reason I don't see it being legalized is because...why bother? Once it's been relaxed enough that people stop getting arrested for possession, then that's enough. No need to go further. Sure, legalizing it would make it easily available, but it's already easily available. Sure, legalizing it would make it subject to regulations (like not selling to kids), but who cares? I don't think the problem of kids getting their hands on weed is such a problem that it requires much of a fix either.
#6 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Once someone with wealth realizes they could profit off it, it will go down.

Likely one or two states fully remove it, and start to reap allot of internal and tourism dollars. Other states see this and copy.

#7 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

br0kenrabbit
I am eagerly looking forward to the day that cannabis becomes legalized. I want to be able to purchase cannabis at a safe location where I know the strain, and I know that it's "safe" to consume while also being assured that my money is going to my community via taxes instead of violent cartels. Also, creating "legal" jobs, and being able to smoke in peace without fear of something silly like a jail sentence.
#8 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

The only reason I could see it being legalized is for tax revenue or something. I mean, even if it were legalized, I'm sure its use would probably still be prohibited in public areas. And if you're smoking it at home, who cares if it's legal or not? Doesn't make a difference one way or the other. The reason I don't see it being legalized (everywhere) isn't because I think people want it to be a crime. The reason I don't see it being legalized is because...why bother? Once it's been relaxed enough that people stop getting arrested for possession, then that's enough. No need to go further. Sure, legalizing it would make it easily available, but it's already easily available. Sure, legalizing it would make it subject to regulations (like not selling to kids), but who cares? I don't think the problem of kids getting their hands on weed is such a problem that it requires much of a fix either. MrGeezer

I foresee it being treated like alcohol, actually. There's no dry states, but there are dry counties. That doesn't mean you can't have it in the 'dry' country, it just means it isn't sold there.

Tax revenue is one reason I think it will be largely legalized but also as you said regulation. No shops this close to schools, age restrictions, consumption restrictions (i.e. public intoxication) and so on.

#9 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] I see marijuana laws continuing to be relaxed, but I don't see it being legalized for recreational use any time soon. Best case scenario: it's still illegal, but no one's gonna bust you up for it unless you're smoking it in public. MrGeezer

The only reason I could see it being legalized is for tax revenue or something. I mean, even if it were legalized, I'm sure its use would probably still be prohibited in public areas. And if you're smoking it at home, who cares if it's legal or not? Doesn't make a difference one way or the other. The reason I don't see it being legalized (everywhere) isn't because I think people want it to be a crime. The reason I don't see it being legalized is because...why bother? Once it's been relaxed enough that people stop getting arrested for possession, then that's enough. No need to go further. Sure, legalizing it would make it easily available, but it's already easily available. Sure, legalizing it would make it subject to regulations (like not selling to kids), but who cares? I don't think the problem of kids getting their hands on weed is such a problem that it requires much of a fix either.

Legalization(assuming that taxes are not ridiculously high) will decimate the often violent black market associated with illegal drugs, and for me that's enough of a reason to fully legalize it.
#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

Legalization(assuming that taxes are not ridiculously high) will decimate the often violent black market associated with illegal drugs, and for me that's enough of a reason to fully legalize it. Rich3232

Yup. I mean, how many people still buy bathtub gin from Jethro for their alcohol fix? Yeah, there's a few, but they're the exception.

#11 Posted by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -
too many people will die.
#12 Posted by MrGeezer (56755 posts) -

I foresee it being treated like alcohol, actually. There's no dry states, but there are dry counties. That doesn't mean you can't have it in the 'dry' country, it just means it isn't sold there.

Tax revenue is one reason I think it will be largely legalized but also as you said regulation. No shops this close to schools, age restrictions, consumption restrictions (i.e. public intoxication) and so on.

br0kenrabbit
Regulation might be a benefit of legalization, I just doubt that it would be a reason for legalization. If it's legalized, then I wager the real big reason is solely gonna be because of money. **shrugs** While unregulated sales and use of marijuana aren't a good thing, I just don't seeing it as such a big problem that it actually requires doing something about.
#13 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6839 posts) -
it's quite ridiculous the stigma that marijuana has attached to it really. Perfect example of people blindly following what someone else says and not researching the subject area themselves. If cigarettes and alcohol (especially the latter) can be legal, then by all means marijuana should be legal as well.
#14 Posted by jdc6305 (3954 posts) -

I started smoking weed when I was 14 I quit when I was 21. Everytime I smoke I get super paranoid. I was a heavy smoker I smoked 10 or more joints a day for years. I ended up in a psychosis from heavy use. I've gained a new appreciation for reality. I not one for telling other people what they can or can't do. Personally I hate drug addicts. 

#15 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24018 posts) -

i think it is way more likely that the feds will go after misbehaving states.

it will be something like if you don't want to play ball all your federal funding for highways and the like will dry up.

#16 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24018 posts) -

I started smoking weed when I was 14 I quit when I was 21. Everytime I smoke I get super paranoid. I was a heavy smoker I smoked 10 or more joints a day for years. I ended up in a psychosis from heavy use. I've gained a new appreciation for reality. I not one for telling other people what they can or can't do. Personally I hate drug addicts. 

jdc6305

lol, the cast of reefer madness showed up.

th?id=H.4524422545998147&pid=15.1

#17 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

I see it becoming legal in the near future.

#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I say decriminalize it, and simply exhibit fines for marijuana users. Creates tax dollars for America, and keeps nonviolent citizens out of prison, though I don't know how the privatized prison sector would like that.
#19 Posted by Spellingiscool (1450 posts) -

jdc6305
Should of gone indica.
#20 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

jdc6305
You probably were paranoid because you were doing something illegal.
#21 Posted by Serraph105 (28354 posts) -

I have honestly never heard of anything bad happening due to marijuana other than "This guy had/smoked/sold weed and that's illegal." 

#22 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I have honestly never heard of anything bad happening due to marijuana other than "This guy had/smoked/sold weed and that's illegal." 

Serraph105
Give it a few more years and they'll link it to obesity.
#23 Posted by jdc6305 (3954 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

Riverwolf007

Is it that hard to believe that mind altering chemicals might have an effect on the mind?

#24 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

jdc6305

Is it that hard to believe that mind altering chemicals might have an effect on the mind?

If you abuse the fvck out of it, sure. Same as any other drug, and I would like to point out a few things. First, the cannabis being illegal clearly did not stop whatever happened to you so keeping cannabis illegal does not work/help. Second, you got it when you were 14 which if cannabis was legalized and regulated probably would have been harder for you to do so.
#25 Posted by jdc6305 (3954 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]lol, the cast of reefer madness showed up.

Rich3232

If you abuse the fvck out of it, sure. Same as any other drug, and I would like to point out a few things. First, the cannabis being illegal clearly did not stop whatever happened to you so keeping cannabis illegal does not work/help. Second, you got it when you were 14 which if cannabis was legalized and regulated probably would have been harder for you to do so.

What ever I'm 36 years old I know a few things about drug addiction and weed. I've seen the long term effects and I've experianced them first hand. Kid you can't tell me anything I don't already know. My whole family smokes the stuff. I have an aunt thats been smoking weed for 40 years. I don't give a s--- if people smoke and I could care less if it's legal or not. I just know it's not harmless.

#26 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="jdc6305"] Is it that hard to believe that mind altering chemicals might have an effect on the mind?

jdc6305

What ever I'm 36 years old I know a few things about drug addiction and weed. I've seen the long term effects and I've experianced them first hand. Kid you can't tell me anything I don't already know. My whole family smokes the stuff. I have an aunt thats been smoking weed for 40 years. I don't give a s--- if people smoke and I could care less if it's legal or not. I just know it's not harmless.

No one itt has said that it's harmless. Another thing to think about; if cannabis became legalized and was relatively cheaper, I could def. see more and more people eating and vaping the active compounds like THC without consuming the smoke. At that point, it's basically harmless (physically speaking that is).
#27 Posted by jdc6305 (3954 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] If you abuse the fvck out of it, sure. Same as any other drug, and I would like to point out a few things. First, the cannabis being illegal clearly did not stop whatever happened to you so keeping cannabis illegal does not work/help. Second, you got it when you were 14 which if cannabis was legalized and regulated probably would have been harder for you to do so. Rich3232

No one itt has said that it's harmless. Another thing to think about; if cannabis became legalized and was relatively cheaper, I could def. see more and more people eating and vaping the active compounds like THC without consuming the smoke. At that point, it's basically harmless (physically speaking that is).

Do you really want it legal and the government taxing it? $15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to me. The government won't let you grow it tax free. They'll probobly keep it a felony for growing. They'll want to maintain control you know that don't you. It's the same with alchol you can't go set up a stil in your basement.

#28 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="jdc6305"]What ever I'm 36 years old I know a few things about drug addiction and weed. I've seen the long term effects and I've experianced them first hand. Kid you can't tell me anything I don't already know. My whole family smokes the stuff. I have an aunt thats been smoking weed for 40 years. I don't give a s--- if people smoke and I could care less if it's legal or not. I just know it's not harmless.

jdc6305

Do you really want it legal and the government taxing it? $15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to me. The government won't let you grow it tax free. They'll probobly keep it a felony for growing. They'll want to maintain control you know that don't you. It's the same with alchol you can't go set up a stil in your basement.

No, you can just brew your own beer instead. Hopefully, the government is smart enough to realize that overly-excessive taxes will not resolve the black market issue and will instead opt for a more modest tax on cannabis.
#29 Posted by sonicare (53551 posts) -

Bill Clinton says it ok to smoke marijuana if you dont inhale.

#30 Posted by laughingman42 (8730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="jdc6305"]What ever I'm 36 years old I know a few things about drug addiction and weed. I've seen the long term effects and I've experianced them first hand. Kid you can't tell me anything I don't already know. My whole family smokes the stuff. I have an aunt thats been smoking weed for 40 years. I don't give a s--- if people smoke and I could care less if it's legal or not. I just know it's not harmless.

jdc6305

$15 a joint is expensive, even for decent stuff. It can't be more expensive than it already is or the black market will continue to thrive. 

#31 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

jdc6305

I'm also 36 (for a few more days) and I've also known people who've been smoking weed for just as long. Most of them are quite successful in their lives. Far more so than the alcoholics in the family.

I've been smoking since 1994 and I'm doing just fine.

#32 Posted by lamprey263 (24687 posts) -
it's slowly getting there, states are legalizing it for recreation and such, the last big hurdle IMO is workplace protection, jobs can still fire you if you smoke it even if it's all done off the job, even in states where it's being legalized for recreational usage, so they need to pass some workplace protection for marijuana smokers, once that's taken care of I see a big boom in usage, tax revenues and more relaxing of laws from then on that's not to say people should be allowed to go to work high or anything, just that the habit of doing so in ones free time shouldn't get one fired, it's perfectly acceptable that people drink in their free time as long as they don't show up to work drunk or smelling like booze, I'd imagine the same should apply to people who smoke weed
#33 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
if they legalise it people will be asking them exactly what the fvck their problem was for the last 80/90 years and they will either have to make something up or admit that they lied so they will find a way around it like they have been trying with medicinal use but the sooner the better because when the states legalise it australia will soon follow suit
#34 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

It's the same with alchol you can't go set up a stil in your basement.

jdc6305

You most certainly can.

Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 7

(a)  Notwithstanding the provisions of this part, a private individual in the person's own home may manufacture and possess wine or beer in an amount not in excess of that amount annually permitted as of January 1, 1997, by federal statutes and regulations relative to household manufacture and consumption; provided, that the wine or beer is for personal consumption by members and guests of the household.

#35 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
$15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to me.jdc6305
errrr nahhh
#36 Posted by lamprey263 (24687 posts) -
$15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to mejdc6305
there's a dispensary nearby my place, strictly medical marijuana for the time being, and they have $3 joints, and free joint Friday, I don't see $15 joints being a good starting price, you must live in a bad marijuana supply to think that's a deal
#37 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
[QUOTE="jdc6305"]$15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to melamprey263
there's a dispensary nearby my place, strictly medical marijuana for the time being, and they have $3 joints, and free joint Friday, I don't see $15 joints being a good starting price, you must live in a bad marijuana supply to think that's a deal

Free joint Friday? That's amazing seeing as how I only smoke on Friday nights/morning.
#38 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
Up here in Canada I honestly don't see it changing much. It's already EXTREMELY available.
#39 Posted by Boston_Boyy (3987 posts) -

I doubt anything will happen overnight, it will be a length state-by-state process that spans a few decades, but I do believe we will eventually see marijuana being legal in all 50 states.  Obviously that process has already begun in Washington and Colorado, so I figure the New England states, along with a few other liberal states (New York, California, Hawaii, Nevada, etc) will all have followed suit within the next 10 years.  After that the movement will have enough steam for it to inevitably begin to happen state-by-state.

#40 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

I doubt anything will happen overnight, it will be a length state-by-state process that spans a few decades, but I do believe we will eventually see marijuana being legal in all 50 states.  Obviously that process has already begun in Washington and Colorado, so I figure the New England states, along with a few other liberal states (New York, California, Hawaii, Nevada, etc) will all have followed suit within the next 10 years.  After that the movement will have enough steam for it to inevitably begin to happen state-by-state.

Boston_Boyy

I think the south will come along faster than most people think. Many southern states are bleeding money (Tennessee has had a balanced budget for years, but it's an exception) and even being illegal it's still the #1 cash crop.

mru1oh.jpg

#41 Posted by psn8214 (14926 posts) -

Took long enough. It's not like it being illegal has made it any harder to get either. It's consistently available and has been for the past five years where I live. Even easier to get at my university.

#42 Posted by psn8214 (14926 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]$15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to me.cheese_game619
errrr nahhh

That joint better have at least a gram and half of the dankest dank in it for that price haha =P My friends have been to Cali and Colorado and they told me prices are a lot better than the ole' standard twenty dollars a gram, sixty an eighth type deal.

#43 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="jdc6305"]$15 a joint sounds like a great start for pricing to me.psn8214

errrr nahhh

That joint better have at least a gram and half of the dankest dank in it for that price haha =P My friends have been to Cali and Colorado and they told me prices are a lot better than the ole' standard twenty dollars a gram, sixty an eighth type deal.

is an eighth sixty dollars in the states?
#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13296 posts) -

is an eighth sixty dollars in the states?cheese_game619

Depends upon the grade.

Schwag (brown, compacted, seedy and stemmy) = $20

Mid (outdoor, not very seedy, uncompressed) = $45-$50

Dro/KB (indoor, hydroponically grown, fluffy uncompressed buds, seedless) = $60

#45 Posted by AFBrat77 (24157 posts) -

The movie that started it all

It always gives me a good laugh.

Nibroc420

i remember seeing double feature drive-in movie in the 70's: Reefer Madness and Animal House, good stuff

#46 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
oh ok still im surprised the pricing is similar to aus
#47 Posted by wis3boi (31715 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Rich3232

I am eagerly looking forward to the day that cannabis becomes legalized. I want to be able to purchase cannabis at a safe location where I know the strain, and I know that it's "safe" to consume while also being assured that my money is going to my community via taxes instead of violent cartels. Also, creating "legal" jobs, and being able to smoke in peace without fear of something silly like a jail sentence.

I don't smoke, but I agree with this

#48 Posted by MrGeezer (56755 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]it's slowly getting there, states are legalizing it for recreation and such, the last big hurdle IMO is workplace protection, jobs can still fire you if you smoke it even if it's all done off the job, even in states where it's being legalized for recreational usage, so they need to pass some workplace protection for marijuana smokers, once that's taken care of I see a big boom in usage, tax revenues and more relaxing of laws from then on that's not to say people should be allowed to go to work high or anything, just that the habit of doing so in ones free time shouldn't get one fired, it's perfectly acceptable that people drink in their free time as long as they don't show up to work drunk or smelling like booze, I'd imagine the same should apply to people who smoke weed

They don't need to pass workplace protection. There are jobs that don't even allow for employees to use tobacco, and that's legal. Why should it be any different with weed? Either don't get caught, give up the weed in order to get the job, or give up the job and find a different one that allows you to be a marijuana user. If businesses don't want marijuana users working for them, then they should be able to deny employment to marijuana users. Unless being a pot smoker is a legally protected class, and it being illegal to discriminate against people on those grounds.
#49 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4104 posts) -

Probably.

#50 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

Yes, it has begun to happen. There is still work to be done, but with the landmark battles won in Colorado and Washington, marijuana prohibition is in it's death throws. It's awesome also because for people like myself who aren't your typical pot smokers, we'll be able to come home and decompress from a hard day at work like people do all the time with a beer. If you never ask me, you'd never know I was a pot smoker and I like to keep it that way because the plant doesn't define me, but rather it's a part of my overall culture that I embrace.