Is life mostly bad?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DonQuixote
Member since 2013 • 126 Posts

I think so. Life is mostly doing things you DON'T want to do... like working. It is also boring and repetitive. I feel that if you aren't delusional it is a pretty sad existence. What do you guys think?

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

You think working is boring and repetitive , so life is bad ?

Life is bad for physically handicapped peoples or very poor peoples or sick people with no money for treatment or uncurable disease. Think from thier viewpoint , life is hell for them than us.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonQuixote

@indzman: I understand that people have it worse than me... that is largely irrelevant. If anything you are supporting my point that life sucks. "Their suck doesn't make my suck suck any less" - Doug Standhope..

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

nope. pretty fan-fucking-tastic.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DonQuixote

@one_plum: I think that is largely misleading. Who really loves their job for years and years and years. Even if you love something... do you really want to do it for 40 or more hours a week FOR YEARS AND YEARS? Really? I highly doubt it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By indzman

@donquixote said:

@indzman: I understand that people have it worse than me... that is largely irrelevant. If anything you are supporting my point that life sucks. "Their suck doesn't make my suck suck any less" - Doug Standhope..

You got me wrong , personally my life sucks pretty bad ( maybe more worse than you ) but when i think about those particular ill fated people i sure feel lucky to be not on their place lol.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By indzman

@donquixote said:

@one_plum: I think that is largely misleading. Who really loves their job for years and years and years. Even if you love something... do you really want to do it for 40 or more hours a week FOR YEARS AND YEARS? Really? I highly doubt it.

Reminds me of Steve Buscemi quote from CON AIR -

Garland Greene ( Steve Buscemi ): What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

ROFL

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DonQuixote

@indzman: So your life sucks... yet you feel lucky that you don't have it as bad as others? Apparently other people's life sucking doesn't help you all that much since you still say your life sucks.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@donquixote said:

It's largely about the struggle, dude. One thing that is VERY common with people who are unemployed or retired is that they get depressed. No one's making them bust their asses doing work they don't want to do, but it's still largely unsatisfying. Work tends to bring about problems and challenges, and satisfaction comes from overcoming problems and challenges. It's the same reason why a video game is no freaking fun if it's too easy. The sense of satisfaction and self-worth comes from the sense of achievement, and there's no feeling of achievement if everything was so easy that it didn't take work. You're not supposed to love life all the time. You're not supposed to have fun all the time. If you do, then chances are that you're just dicking around and that's gonna seriously hurt your sense of self-worth when you look back and see that you never really accomplished anything because you were more concerned about doing what you like.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

You are so weird. Stop making such stupid threads.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

@indzman said:

@donquixote said:

Garland Greene ( Steve Buscemi ): What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

ROFL

And as far as that goes, that's stupid as shit. People don't do things that they hate just for the hell of it, they do things that they hate because it benefits them in some way. I don't pay my power bill because I like giving the electric company money every month, I pay my electric bill because I enjoy having electricity and I'd rather not have it get cut off. I did something that sucks (paying the bill), but I get something to show for it (I get electricity). If you're working an office job for 50 years and end up with nothing to show for it, then in all probability that's your damn fault. There are a hell of a lot of unsatisfying jobs out there, the point is to take the money that they pay you and use it on something that actually matters. If you work 50 years at a job that you don't give a shit about, and fail to use your earnings to do anything that actually means something to you, then you can shut the hell right up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Nope, I think life is largely great, especially if you learn to appreciate the small things in life instead of wasting time complaining about how not everything is going your way.

As for being able to enjoy your job for years and years...my wife has had her career for 20 years now and if anything she loves it more today than she ever has. She's always excited about it, and looking forward to work. It's not easy, but it's possible to do so.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Sort of, it depends on how you see things. I tend to be very pessimistic when it comes to things like this. People will always disappoint you and you will most likely have to work at a job you really don't like, not to mention the horrible atrocities happening around us. Seeing people whose lives are worse than mine certainly doesn't make me feel any better.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@donquixote: life may suck for you, but there are people in a worst position in life than you that are happy with life, it just depends on the type of person you are.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 indzman

@MrGeezer said:

@indzman said:

@donquixote said:

ROFL

And as far as that goes, that's stupid as shit. People don't do things that they hate just for the hell of it, they do things that they hate because it benefits them in some way. I don't pay my power bill because I like giving the electric company money every month, I pay my electric bill because I enjoy having electricity and I'd rather not have it get cut off. I did something that sucks (paying the bill), but I get something to show for it (I get electricity). If you're working an office job for 50 years and end up with nothing to show for it, then in all probability that's your damn fault. There are a hell of a lot of unsatisfying jobs out there, the point is to take the money that they pay you and use it on something that actually matters. If you work 50 years at a job that you don't give a shit about, and fail to use your earnings to do anything that actually means something to you, then you can shut the hell right up.

While i agree to your post are you taking it out on me or garland greene ? If me i never complained about working or anything if you read carefully. Must be some misunderstanding on your part :)

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Life is only bad if you're doing shit you don't like that doesn't benefit you in any way.

Trying to reassure yourself that you have it good because someone else out there has it worse is the path of pettyness. No one ever thinks about the inverse of that, how you can't be truly happy because someone else is living the dream.

If it's working that irritates you then apply yourself towards a better career or make the paychecks worth it. You happiness is your responsibility.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@CyberLips said:

Seeing people whose lives are worse than mine certainly doesn't make me feel any better.

Exactly my point above ^ This kind of mentality just makes people feel guilty.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like life i like it even more when i'm around my wife and kids.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Poderoso caballero es Don Dinero.

Life isn't intrinsically good or bad, it is what you make of it (mostly).

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Think the worse thing possible is having the taste of a good life then losing it all

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DonQuixote

@MrGeezer: This is stupid. It's largely about struggle? Yes it is... that is why it sucks. The satisfaction from accomplishing things is not worth the struggle of accomplishing them... or so it seems. Prove me wrong.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DonQuixote

@chursibilla said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

i totally agree with you, last time it was about suicide and now another idiotic thread.

This isn't stupid. It is a great point and nobody has provided a compelling argument against it. If you don't like this topic don't post in it. IF anything is idiotic it's people who partake in discussions WILLINGLY when they supposedly don't find the topic worthwhile. How old are you two? 15? Maybe when you know what it means to actually work you will understand something. If you are older... then that is sad... because your actions represent the actions of a fool.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Oh look, another Bawww thread.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Obviously.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you're TC then yes I could imagine life sucks.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@donquixote said:

@chursibilla said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

i totally agree with you, last time it was about suicide and now another idiotic thread.

This isn't stupid. It is a great point and nobody has provided a compelling argument against it. If you don't like this topic don't post in it. IF anything is idiotic it's people who partake in discussions WILLINGLY when they supposedly don't find the topic worthwhile. How old are you two? 15? Maybe when you know what it means to actually work you will understand something. If you are older... then that is sad... because your actions represent the actions of a fool.

Its not possible to provide a compelling argument either way as its entirely subjective. If your life's shit do something about it. I used to hate my job, now I have more of an effort to excel at it I am starting to see some progression and im getting rewarded with development opportunities and financially. I work to provide for my family, their satisfaction gives me all the satisfaction I need to continue working. I read about man hunting and gathering, I read about the industrial revolution even today I look on the news and see suffering across the planet. So yeah, sitting in my home in the middle of summer buying my food online for next day delivery, waiting for my missus to come home from her steady well compensated job, and my kids to return from high quality free education. Even if the people I love get sick I have the NHS to rely upon. So yeah, not only is life good, its great. To be blunt, life is easier now than its ever been.

Realistically if I look back at the times in my life when I have been unhappy....more often than not I have only had myself to blame.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonQuixote

@always_explicit: My life is mediocre... yet probably a lot better than most people's lives since I made a lot of good moves. Also I do not agree that it is entirely subjective. American society is largely not conducive to a happy life. There isn't a lot of room for close friendships or intimacy since nearly everyone is consumed by greed, which allows for luxury, yet perpetuates misery. People work WAY more than is necessary or healthy because of pressures and values rich people indoctrinate in them to maintain control.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

My life is pretty damn good. I don't live in some utopia where 'everything is awesome' (get it? heh) but the good stuff FAAAAAAAR outweighs the bad.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer

@donquixote said:

@always_explicit: My life is mediocre... yet probably a lot better than most people's lives since I made a lot of good moves. Also I do not agree that it is entirely subjective. American society is largely not conducive to a happy life. There isn't a lot of room for close friendships or intimacy since nearly everyone is consumed by greed, which allows for luxury, yet perpetuates misery. People work WAY more than is necessary or healthy because of pressures and values rich people indoctrinate in them to maintain control.

Of course there's not gonna be much room for close friendships or intimacy when you look at people in that way. Why would I want to be friends with someone who thinks I'm a piece of shit?

DNA-Hole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DNA-Hole
Member since 2013 • 49 Posts

TC: "Waah! My life sucks and nobody here wants to throw me a pity party, Waah!"

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DonQuixote

@MrGeezer: There isn't room for closeness in general. That fact remains true regardless of me being happy/depressed. Most people work 40+ a week and have other boring responsibilities that leave very little room for friendships and works of passion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@donquixote: Most people work 40+ hours a week, have families and children and they still manage to make and maintain friendships. Why would you be different?

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DonQuixote

@korvus: They call the people they sometimes see "friends" but they aren't actually deeply involved in their lives. They aren't close friends.

DNA-Hole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DNA-Hole

@donquixote said:

They call the people they sometimes see "friends" but they aren't actually deeply involved in their lives. They aren't close friends.

I want to meet the people who fucked you up mentally... I know people who are worse off physically, financially, and emotionally who are NOWHERE near the whiny, complaining sad sack you come off to be.

DonQuixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DonQuixote
@DNA-Hole said:

@donquixote said:

They call the people they sometimes see "friends" but they aren't actually deeply involved in their lives. They aren't close friends.

I want to meet the people who fucked you up mentally... I know people who are worse off physically, financially, and emotionally who are NOWHERE near the whiny, complaining sad sack you come off to be.

I am telling as it is. I don't see were I am wrong. Prove me wrong instead of just saying I am whining you fool. Learn how to argue.

DNA-Hole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DNA-Hole

@donquixote said:

I am telling as it is. I don't see were I am wrong. Prove me wrong instead of just saying I am whining you fool. Learn how to argue.

Listen, Buttercup...I 'm not arguing with you, all I said was I wanna meet whoever turned you into this mess. Also I never said you were whining--I said you COME OFF as a whiny, complaining sad sack. If that's how you perceive yourself (as well as you perceiving how bad life is), then that's YOUR issue, twinkle toes...not mine. Nothing I say is gonna change your mind.

I'll learn how to "argue" as soon as you learn how to master basic reading comprehension. So I guess we're both screwed over, huh?

J/K...dry your tears. You'll feel better.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

My life is fine. I don't let people do what I don't want to do.

PS2fweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PS2fweak
Member since 2005 • 1184 Posts

What do you love doing? Figure out how to monetize that. Or find a job that fits your natural likes and avoid ones that have you doing stuff you dislike. Most people think of a job as security. They think about how to not get fired, as opposed to "how long should I stay here?" Find more engaging/enjoyable employment and move on when you can. Get a job in a different country or work on a cruise, or whatever. Be creative.

The friend situation is different for everybody. I never know how I make friends, but I try to be as genuine as possible with people and I avoid people when my BS meter starts to go off. I'm also not against natural substances like cannabis and psilocybin. It makes it much easier to meet lovely people who love life. Closed minded people seem to be naturally dishonest, because you have to lie to yourself to stay in your bubble. Why surround yourself with people like that?

Workout. It's not some 'bro" thing. It makes me feel better. I was terribly out of shape and I felt terrible. When I workout I simply feel better. These are things that work for me, but just find what works for you and keep looking for new stuff to make you happy. Life is awesome. You get to start topics on sites like this, just to vent.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#47 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

There is no need to antagonize each other folks. I am just saying.

Life is awesome.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I do agree.

Good thing I'm studying to become a mangaka; something I really like.

@commonfate said:
@CyberLips said:

Seeing people whose lives are worse than mine certainly doesn't make me feel any better.

Fucking hate it when my family says I should feel better because of that.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yes, life sux no matter how you look at it.

PS2fweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PS2fweak
Member since 2005 • 1184 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I do agree.

Good thing I'm studying to become a mangaka; something I really like.

@commonfate said:
@CyberLips said:

Fucking hate it when my family says I should feel better because of that.

It's not supposed to make you feel better. It's just a way of telling you to shut up. If you're dog is sick, seeing a dead dog or a dog that's about to die might give you some perspective on the situation. Stop complaining, because what you have is what you have. People usually don't tell you that for no reason.