Is it wrong to be a Weaboo?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
If you want to be a weeaboo, that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and other weeaboos.
#52 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -
If you want to be a weeaboo, that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and other weeaboos.tagyhag
segregation=racism that's racist
#53 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Yes it's terrible to be a weeaboo, if you are a weeaboo you shouldn't be allowed outside.

Bikouchu35

Says the person with animeh avatar/sig.

You do realize I was joking and really those hardcore weeaboos don't go outside anyways unless it's to cons. lol

#54 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7415 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Yes it's terrible to be a weeaboo, if you are a weeaboo you shouldn't be allowed outside.

CHOASXIII

You do realize I was joking and really those hardcore weeaboos don't go outside anyways unless it's to cons. lol

Heck yeah *high five* except for the hardcore part.. my friends have me beat there.

#55 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Bikouchu35

Heck yeah *high five* except for the hardcore part.. my friends have me beat there.

Lol -high five- It's nice to meet another nice anime fan. :P

#56 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
No. Better than being a racist.
#57 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -
No. Better than being a racist.TheWalkingGhost
I do wonder if the japanese would enjoy being loved for things that they are not, rather than being hated for things that they are. Perhaps weaboo isn't any better than being racist?
#58 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7415 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]No. Better than being a racist.CreasianDevaili
I do wonder if the japanese would enjoy being loved for things that they are not, rather than being hated for things that they are. Perhaps weaboo isn't any better than being racist?

No way, better to be loved than hated.

#59 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]No. Better than being a racist.Bikouchu35

The Japanese are a pretty proud people, society wise. Pretty sure if someone told them that their best accomplishment is anime and manga they'd backhand you. There is much more dignity in being hated for what/who you/your society is than to be sought after for entertainment. Cause thats what anime is. Entertainment.
#60 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] I do wonder if the japanese would enjoy being loved for things that they are not, rather than being hated for things that they are. Perhaps weaboo isn't any better than being racist? CreasianDevaili

The Japanese are a pretty proud people, society wise. Pretty sure if someone told them that their best accomplishment is anime and manga they'd backhand you. There is much more dignity in being hated for what/who you/your society is than to be sought after for entertainment. Cause thats what anime is. Entertainment.

Lots of weeaboos are obsessed with more than just Anime and Manga.
#61 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
the next holocaust is set for weeaboos
#62 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

List em. Hope none of them are on the cracked article "6 Japanese Subcultures That Are Insane".
#63 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] The Japanese are a pretty proud people, society wise. Pretty sure if someone told them that their best accomplishment is anime and manga they'd backhand you. There is much more dignity in being hated for what/who you/your society is than to be sought after for entertainment. Cause thats what anime is. Entertainment.CreasianDevaili

List em. Hope none of them are on the cracked article "6 Japanese Subcultures That Are Insane".

Are you kidding me? Lots of weeaboos are obsessed with Japanese culture as a whole. Good lord.
#64 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7415 posts) -

The Japanese are a pretty proud people, society wise. Pretty sure if someone told them that their best accomplishment is anime and manga they'd backhand you. There is much more dignity in being hated for what/who you/your society is than to be sought after for entertainment. Cause thats what anime is. Entertainment.CreasianDevaili

Probably, but I was speaking in general. Society as a whole has a lot of blind hate, so I were x group/ethnicity and were loved for something even for the wrong reason I'd still appreciate it. Racism is much much worse.

edit: some weeaboos love the music, learn the language, fashion, the food, cars, products, etc. the list goes on. Not just anime.

#65 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Lots of weeaboos are obsessed with more than just Anime and Manga. TheWalkingGhost

Are you kidding me? Lots of weeaboos are obsessed with Japanese culture as a whole. Good lord.

So should be easy to list the parts of japanese culture that they talk about then? It was only a question to see if you were just making a broad defense statement or if you actually knew first hand. Your answers seems just to be a sweeping statement and nothing more.
#66 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] List em. Hope none of them are on the cracked article "6 Japanese Subcultures That Are Insane".CreasianDevaili

So should be easy to list the parts of japanese culture that they talk about then? It was only a question to see if you were just making a broad defense statement or if you actually knew first hand. Your answers seems just to be a sweeping statement and nothing more.

Your comment seems to be ignorance and trying to generalize an entire group and nothing more. What do you expect? Me to list every aspect of Japanese culture from Marital Arts to their Diet? You want me to list the drama series and horror movies too? Jesus. I didn't list it because there is too much for me to list. What do you think as a whole meant? It means everything Japanese. And yes, that includes the Language and Art.
#67 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] The Japanese are a pretty proud people, society wise. Pretty sure if someone told them that their best accomplishment is anime and manga they'd backhand you. There is much more dignity in being hated for what/who you/your society is than to be sought after for entertainment. Cause thats what anime is. Entertainment.Bikouchu35

Probably, but I was speaking in general. Society as a whole has a lot of blind hate, so I were x group/ethnicity and were loved for something even for the wrong reason I'd still appreciate it. Racism is much much worse.

Yet society isn't whole, globally. All are different. Japan there is a lot of pride and dignity over their inner culture. I never said Racism is good. However I think there is a sheer difference in being obsessed with Japan and being obsessed with cartoons and then Japan by association. The first is fine. Its whatever. The second I think is rather insultive to the culture as a whole. Thats what I think of when I hear weaboo.
#68 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Are you kidding me? Lots of weeaboos are obsessed with Japanese culture as a whole. Good lord.TheWalkingGhost

Your comment seems to be ignorance and trying to generalize an entire group and nothing more. What do you expect? Me to list every aspect of Japanese culture from Marital Arts to their Diet? You want me to list the drama series and horror movies too? Jesus. I didn't list it because there is too much for me to list. What do you think as a whole meant? It means everything Japanese. And yes, that includes the Language and Art.

Just seeing you list a single non mainstream specific would of sufficed. Albiet I'd appreciate you not listing the 90's japanese soap operas. Was forced to watch enough of those. Dear god...
#69 Posted by Ncsoftlover (2111 posts) -

I found it strange that's all, Japanese culture isn't a very inclusive one, I've never really been a fan, but who am I to judge others' obsessions.

#70 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] So should be easy to list the parts of japanese culture that they talk about then? It was only a question to see if you were just making a broad defense statement or if you actually knew first hand. Your answers seems just to be a sweeping statement and nothing more.CreasianDevaili

Just seeing you list a single non mainstream specific would of sufficed. Albiet I'd appreciate you not listing the 90's japanese soap operas. Was forced to watch enough of those. Dear god...

I hate soap operas. But I do like Japanese Horror movies. You need to remember, some weeabos will go crazy about anything from Japan...Doesn't matter what it is. Too much to list. Heck, you can label a brick Japanese and they will buy it.
#71 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4128 posts) -
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"] Your comment seems to be ignorance and trying to generalize an entire group and nothing more. What do you expect? Me to list every aspect of Japanese culture from Marital Arts to their Diet? You want me to list the drama series and horror movies too? Jesus. I didn't list it because there is too much for me to list. What do you think as a whole meant? It means everything Japanese. And yes, that includes the Language and Art.TheWalkingGhost

I hate soap operas. But I do like Japanese Horror movies. You need to remember, some weeabos will go crazy about anything from Japan...Doesn't matter what it is. Too much to list. Heck, you can label a brick Japanese and they will buy it.

To me, and maybe cause of the 90s, that weaboo is just another word for wannabe, but in the slang of what we had for white people who wanted to be black. But the context is that those people who wanted to be black often did it cause they associated rap making being black all that. When there is much more. I just associate weaboo with that context. Finding something cool and in relation of origin finding that cool as well, but never expanding beyond that. Someone who is enthralled with actual Japanese culture is fine by me. Just a philiac.

Weaboos are just lazy fad lovers. But thats personal opinion as the slang evolves.
#72 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5310 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Just seeing you list a single non mainstream specific would of sufficed. Albiet I'd appreciate you not listing the 90's japanese soap operas. Was forced to watch enough of those. Dear god... CreasianDevaili

To me, and maybe cause of the 90s, that weaboo is just another word for wannabe, but in the slang of what we had for white people who wanted to be black. But the context is that those people who wanted to be black often did it cause they associated rap making being black all that. When there is much more. I just associate weaboo with that context. Finding something cool and in relation of origin finding that cool as well, but never expanding beyond that. Someone who is enthralled with actual Japanese culture is fine by me. Just a philiac.

Weaboos are just lazy fad lovers. But thats personal opinion as the slang evolves.

They are wannabes. Some do just like anime and magna and never expand beyond that. My point was weeaboo also can describe wannabe Japanese people who have expanded beyond those norms into something more extreme. I can hardly blame the rap thing, because beyond rap and sports black people didn't have much going for them in a very racist nation for a while. When very little about you given to the masses, they tend to only associate you with what is given to them. Not really their fault.
#73 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4766 posts) -

Yes

#74 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
As long as you don't take it so far.
#75 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

What is a Weaboo?

#76 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I remember once I seen a personal top 10 RPG's list by some guy. All 10 were from Japan. The guys avatar was some anime character, his signature was too. It seemed obvious that this individual was heavily biiased towards Japan. There's tonne's of amazing RPG's to come out outside of Japan, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher just to name a few yet not one even gained a mention. Sure he's entitled to his opinion but if you make a title "My Top 10 RPG Games" people expect RPG games from everywhere, yet he seemed clearly unaware that games existed outside of Japan. It'd be like me making a top 5 FPS games list and having a Halo game fill every spot as it's my personal favourite.

#77 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Depends. If they are actively trying to move to Japan without greater knowledge of the functioning of the country/ society. That could be a problem. But some trying to get there do know about that. Mostly I see it no different than any other enthusiast with a hobby. It's the same as somebody being fanatical about music, sports, cars, movies or video games.