Is it wrong to be a Weaboo?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cloud3601 (430 posts) -

Weaboo=people who want to be japanese or love that culture

I dont see people who want to be Japanese as a bad thing. You dont need to be born in japan to be japanese either, you just need japanese citizenship.

I see it same way as how Mexican migrants (or any migrants for that matter) want to be American or get american citizenship whether it be for economic reasons or they love the country/culture.

Maybe the problem is the reason these "weaboo's" want to be Japanese that gets people.

Whats your opinion, I actually have no problem with weaboo's, they should be proud of what they like and what they want to be.

funny_japanese.cdoum28pwdkow8s08sso0ggsc

Many people love america and want to be American because of Hollywood movies, just like many people love Japan because of Anime (but i must admit, i think these are not good enough reasons to want to change your citizenship)

#2 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

It isn't wrong to want to live in another country, but weeaboos are people who take it to some anime fueled extreme.

#3 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29057 posts) -
I think it depends. I think a lot of weaboos don't really know anything about Japan outside of anime/manga, and in that case I think it's stupid. If you're more broadly familiar with Japanese culture/society, then I don't see a problem with it.
#4 Posted by cloud3601 (430 posts) -

I really want to know American peoples opinion and weather they agree with this anology:

I see it same way as how Mexican migrants (or any migrants for that matter) want to be American or get american citizenship whether it be for economic reasons or they love the country/culture.

If not I would kind of see them as hypocrites for criticising fellow americans for wanting to be Japanese

#5 Posted by johnd13 (7889 posts) -

I think it depends. I think a lot of weaboos don't really know anything about Japan outside of anime/manga, and in that case I think it's stupid. If you're more broadly familiar with Japanese culture/society, then I don't see a problem with it.chessmaster1989

This

#6 Posted by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -
Nope! Why should people be ashamed of what they are passionate about? Live and let live! <3
#7 Posted by tumbIew33d (398 posts) -
It's pretty much unforgivable, yes.
#8 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

Yes it's terrible to be a weeaboo, if you are a weeaboo you shouldn't be allowed outside.

#9 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
I don't even consider them to be human.
#11 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -
#12 Posted by Postmortem123 (7612 posts) -

this girl doesn't think so..

anime1_610x586.jpg

comp_atkins

Kawaii~

#13 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
#14 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29057 posts) -
#15 Posted by Allicrombie (25113 posts) -
I think there's something in the Bible against it, towards the back.
#16 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

I really want to know American peoples opinion and weather they agree with this anology:

I see it same way as how Mexican migrants (or any migrants for that matter) want to be American or get american citizenship whether it be for economic reasons or they love the country/culture.cloud3601

If not I would kind of see them as hypocrites for criticising fellow americans for wanting to be Japanese

What does atmospheric conditions have to do with people agreeing with someone else? Whether is the word you are looking for.

#17 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -
#18 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -
#19 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

It's not wrong to love a country and have an appreciation for a certain culture. If someone is knowlegable about several aspects of Japanese culture (not just anime, manga, and video games) and wants to move there then so be it. Its their choice. Nothing wrong with that. They are not weaboos.

Weaboos, to me, are a certain special kind of idiot.

They see Japanese anime, manga, and video games and assume that Japan is some haven where the streets are paved with manga. Typically they trash and belittle anything thats not Japanese, especially American music and cartoons. They think Jpop is comparable to the voice of God (and usually they worship some squeaky voiced woman that can't sing worth a damn, not the Japanese artists that actually have talent). And don't even get me started on how much they butcher the language and think "OMG I SPEAK JAPANESE!!!11". Basically they have a very messed up, godlike image of Japan. Japan is not like it is in anime. And the whole of Japan is not obsessed with pretty little moe girls.

As for if its wrong...well I guess if they want to stay in their little fantasy land then its their choice. I just find it super annoying is all.

#20 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Is it wrong to be fascinated with another culture, no.

Is it wrong to e completely obsessed and detaching yourself from friends and family, YES!!!

Like with any fandom, moderation is key/

#21 Posted by CHOASXIII (14628 posts) -

It's not wrong to love a country and have an appreciation for a certain culture. If someone is knowlegable about several aspects of Japanese culture (not just anime, manga, and video games) and wants to move there then so be it. Its their choice. Nothing wrong with that. They are not weaboos.

Weaboos, to me, are a certain special kind of idiot.

They see Japanese anime, manga, and video games and assume that Japan is some haven where the streets are paved with manga. Typically they trash and belittle anything thats not Japanese, especially American music and cartoons. They think Jpop is comparable to the voice of God (and usually they worship some squeaky voiced woman that can't sing worth a damn, not the Japanese artists that actually have talent). And don't even get me started on how much they butcher the language and think "OMG I SPEAK JAPANESE!!!11". Basically they have a very messed up, godlike image of Japan. Japan is not like it is in anime. And the whole of Japan is not obsessed with pretty little moe girls.

As for if its wrong...well I guess if they want to stay in their little fantasy land then its their choice. I just find it super annoying is all.

Lucky_Krystal

I agree

#22 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10057 posts) -

japanese culture has lots of other interesting aspects which seem to be totally ignored by these supposedly aficionados.they've just chosen to stay on the surface of something they think they like.

#23 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29057 posts) -

japanese culture has lots of other interesting aspects which seem to be totally ignored by these supposedly aficionados.they've just chosen to stay on the surface of something they think they like.

VaguelyTagged

Like Hard Gay :P

#24 Posted by -Toshy- (1349 posts) -
You used Hollywood movies as an example to why it would be normal for someone to come the US. Imagine for a moment that Hollywood movies are actually looked down upon by the general populace and that the person wanting to move the US was obsessed with them to the point that they know absolutely nothing about American culture (which differs region to region) and denounced all other forms of entertainment unrelated to Hollywood movies. You would probably say that they are extremely out of touch with reality.
from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57524592-1/real-life-anime-girl-bats-her-enormous-eyelashes-at-you/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=titlecomp_atkins
She makes the Barbie chick look kinda normal.
#25 Posted by pspdseagle (3307 posts) -
Don't think it's right to compare it with Mexicans living in the US at all...these are people who are actually living in your country. Suppose that is natural...
#26 Posted by Dj-Dampleaf (677 posts) -
It's a sickness like homosexuality, Feeling like you are in the wrong body, Religion, communism, racism and the like. Nothing you can do about it until the person wants help.
#27 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10057 posts) -
It's a sickness like homosexuality.Dj-Dampleaf
i hope you've brought your flame shield.
#28 Posted by Dj-Dampleaf (677 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"]It's a sickness like homosexuality.VaguelyTagged

So ignoring all the other things and only pointing that out? I think you need the flame sheild.
#29 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

Some of you people on here are WAY too into anime

#30 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
I would say the level of obsession noted in a person who actually exemplifies a weeaboo is enough to cause concern. I would say the same when it comes to anything though. The term gets thrown around a lot to the point where speaking positively of Japan even slightly can get the term thrown out and to some anyone who watches any anime at all is a weeaboo. The "Kawaii desu uguu~" weeaboos are pretty annoying though, but annoying is all they are. Considering we live in a world where wars are fought, celebrities are killed and people are shunned because of their choice of literature I think it may just be time for a general call for some sensibility when it comes to aggression due to media preference.
#31 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Nope! Why should people be ashamed of what they are passionate about? Live and let live! <3PinkiePirate
You have a brony icon. You shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. I rage on the inside (and outside on the internet) whenever I hear a weeaboo saying they want to move to Japan because of anime. What the hell :/
#32 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
A weeaboo isn't someone who likes Japanese culture... they are someone who likes Japanese culture as depicted in anime/manga. They don't understand the actual workings of the xenophobic culture of Japan, and realize that as a Westerner, it really isn't all that fantastic. I went through a weeaboo stage in late high-school, and then spent a couple years learning about the actual history, culture and language... and realized it wasn't for me. The history and religious heritage of Japan still interests me, but it isn't something I'd wasn't to really be a part of.
#33 Posted by CreasianDevaili (3991 posts) -
Pretty sure the japanese love none japanese who visit. Also pretty sure they do not like it when they move in and stay. Some white guy who loves anime and got a citizenship for Japan would never be Japanese in the sense that matters to those people. Also I wonder if people who watch all this anime know just how little those voice overs are getting paid. Kinda reminds me every time someone says they wanna be a video game tester.
#34 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10057 posts) -
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"]It's a sickness like homosexuality.Dj-Dampleaf

So ignoring all the other things and only pointing that out? I think you need the flame sheild.

lol,i wasn't ignoring anything,i only pointed that out cause that was the part of your post that could cause a flame.
#35 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
Pretty sure the japanese love none japanese who visit. Also pretty sure they do not like it when they move in and stay. Some white guy who loves anime and got a citizenship for Japan would never be Japanese in the sense that matters to those people. Also I wonder if people who watch all this anime know just how little those voice overs are getting paid. Kinda reminds me every time someone says they wanna be a video game tester.CreasianDevaili
Pay for voice actors is pretty much all over the place. Depends if you're union or non-union and in the west generally anime dub VAs also do video game voice overs and some do cartoons as well. Not sure about Japanese wages but the more famous ones generally do singing or radio stuff as well. But yeah it's not glamorous or anywhere near the pay live action actors get. There are some voice actors in the west who get paid pretty great wages, Dan Castellaneta (Homer) makes some pretty damn nice wages per episode but he's quite prolific anyway and the character is instantly recognizable.
#36 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

Nah...I view them the same as I would a typical sports fanatic.

#37 Posted by ScorpionTroll (842 posts) -

Weaboos are mostly a harmless annoyance.

#38 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

Yes it's terrible to be a weeaboo, if you are a weeaboo you shouldn't be allowed outside.

CHOASXIII

Says the person with animeh avatar/sig.

#39 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Good news everyone! I am moving to France soon because I believe France is the greatest place after watching all of their cartoons :D
#40 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

Bikouchu35

Says the person with animeh avatar/sig.

Liking anime/manga and japanese video games does not automatically make you a weaboo. The weaboos are the extremists who worship Japan.

And you have an anime character as your icon too so what the heck?:|

#41 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

Liking anime/manga and japanese video games does not automatically make you a weaboo. The weaboos are the extremists who worship Japan.

Lucky_Krystal

I just found the weeaboo comment to be funny, so I gave sarcastic response.

Not sure what you are trying to imply for the last sentence. lol

#42 Posted by Chris_Williams (14868 posts) -

as long as they aren't hurting anyone, i don't care. Also people are way into things like football and such and I don't see people making fun of them

#43 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

No. People should be able to live how they want but at the same time, should be able to withstand some butthurt. Everyone is so... sensitive... preemptively sensitive at times.

Also, I think most people who are labeled as weeaboos really just want to live in an anime or JRPG world, not neccessarily Japan, even if they don't realize it.

#44 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

Bikouchu35

I just found the weeaboo comment to be funny, so I gave sarcastic response.

Not sure what you are trying to imply for the last sentence. lol

I misunderstood I guess. Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

I thought you were implying that he was a weaboo because he had an anime avatar/sig.

#45 Posted by CreasianDevaili (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Pretty sure the japanese love none japanese who visit. Also pretty sure they do not like it when they move in and stay. Some white guy who loves anime and got a citizenship for Japan would never be Japanese in the sense that matters to those people. Also I wonder if people who watch all this anime know just how little those voice overs are getting paid. Kinda reminds me every time someone says they wanna be a video game tester.Ace6301
Pay for voice actors is pretty much all over the place. Depends if you're union or non-union and in the west generally anime dub VAs also do video game voice overs and some do cartoons as well. Not sure about Japanese wages but the more famous ones generally do singing or radio stuff as well. But yeah it's not glamorous or anywhere near the pay live action actors get. There are some voice actors in the west who get paid pretty great wages, Dan Castellaneta (Homer) makes some pretty damn nice wages per episode but he's quite prolific anyway and the character is instantly recognizable.

On that I entirely agree. Anime voice overs is kind of a stepping stone for a career. There are some who've done great however by staying in that tier and becoming an actual selling point for an anime. It is just that anime over there is like pop music here. I mean they have their own pop music and fads but its essentially a dime a dozen. I guess my point overall is that the badass anime was given a very small budget and it shouldn't be a selling point for wanting to live there. I see it like someone wanting to live in the U.S. cause Britney Spears came from here.

That and the Japanese are kind of really polarized ethnically.
#46 Posted by bobaban (10539 posts) -
#47 Posted by CreasianDevaili (3991 posts) -
#48 Posted by soulless4now (41359 posts) -

I wouldn't call it wrong, just almost creepy depend on their level of weabooness.

#49 Posted by bobaban (10539 posts) -
[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] [QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

this girl doesn't think so..

anime1_610x586.jpg

from http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57524592-1/real-life-anime-girl-bats-her-enormous-eyelashes-at-you/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=title

That is soooo creepy. Would bang.

The only chance you have is to be a pretty boy with a shy and emo past that has developed a screaming issue when you drop your cupcake.

Too bad, maybe I'd have a better shot with the barbie ;)
#50 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11274 posts) -
obsessions are rarely, if ever, healthy