Is it true Ghandi used to beat his wife?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Can anybody confirm this? I've heard messed up things about him recently.

#2 Posted by Avistann (7102 posts) -
I have never heard of these things. Where did you hear this from?
#3 Posted by KG86 (6021 posts) -

I don't know but I heard he was in favour of the caste system and a racist.

#4 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

I have never heard that in my life, nor have I heard that he was a racist. He had some edgy ideas when he was younger, but as he grew older he mellowed out.

#5 Posted by Welkabonz (1700 posts) -
Which one? Depending on which one, it may or may not have been kosher.
#6 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
I have never heard of these things. Where did you hear this from?Avistann
My teacher said he read it in a magazine, Ghandi would beat his wife and sleep with teenage girls in his bed to test his temptation. He's definitely not a perfect human being.
#7 Posted by taj7575 (12084 posts) -

KG86

He was very against the caste system.

#8 Posted by Welkabonz (1700 posts) -
[QUOTE="Avistann"]I have never heard of these things. Where did you hear this from?CleanPlayer
My teacher said he read it in a magazine, Ghandi would beat his wife and sleep with teenage girls in his bed to test his temptation. He's definitely not a perfect human being.

Of course he isn't prefect. He is dead.
#9 Posted by HoldThePhone (3364 posts) -

[QUOTE="KG86"]

taj7575

I just finished a section on him (college course). Says he was for the caste system.
#10 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

[QUOTE="Avistann"]I have never heard of these things. Where did you hear this from?CleanPlayer

That magazine needs to learn the difference between Bramahcharya and sex. Gandhi was practising his celibacy; not rejecting it. Hell, even I've done it.

Was Gandhi even married?

#11 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
This question needs a source badly. Unless there is a link or an article or SOMETHING that supports this idea, then how is this an open question?
#12 Posted by Avistann (7102 posts) -

I knew he had young women around him to test temptation but I thought he never gave into it.
#13 Posted by taj7575 (12084 posts) -

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

[QUOTE="KG86"]

HoldThePhone

I just finished a section on him (college course). Says he was for the caste system.

really? I didnt read up too much on him. i guess I relied too much on the movie "gandhi" then. It portrayed him there as opposing it.

#14 Posted by Englando_IV (4334 posts) -
I kinda find that hard to believe.
#15 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense.
#16 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

"Everyone was doing it." -Ghandi

#17 Posted by HoldThePhone (3364 posts) -

[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"][QUOTE="taj7575"]

taj7575

really? I didnt read up too much on him. i guess I relied too much on the movie "gandhi" then. It portrayed him there as opposing it.

hmm, he was probably against discrimination within it. as for beating his wife, who knows. Gandhi wasn't really a pacifist, he's just famous for his non-violent protests
#18 Posted by Theokhoth (36799 posts) -

Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense. Toriko42

What do you base your claim that he was a racist on? If it was an earlier writing of his, his philosophies changed as he grew older. He most certainly did not die a racist.

#19 Posted by Welkabonz (1700 posts) -
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]This question needs a source badly. Unless there is a link or an article or SOMETHING that supports this idea, then how is this an open question?

Because the topic creator asked for confirmation.
#20 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense.

He is a hero, but he isn't perfect like some people believe he is.
#21 Posted by Avistann (7102 posts) -
[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense.

No one should expect him to be but you still are convicting him without enough evidence. Until, I see some solid proof for these thoughts then he is pretty close to perfect.
#22 Posted by nimatoad2000 (7505 posts) -
yes it is true, but he did it only maybee 2-3 times EVER... im pretty sure they even show him beating her in the Movie Ghandi if i'm not mistaken , ( anyone who hasnt seen the movie, do so, its awesome) and ive been told be 2 teachers.
#23 Posted by Agnidev (1432 posts) -

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"][QUOTE="Avistann"]I have never heard of these things. Where did you hear this from?Theokhoth

That magazine needs to learn the difference between Bramahcharya and sex. Gandhi was practising his celibacy; not rejecting it. Hell, even I've done it.

Was Gandhi even married?

yes, and with four kids
#24 Posted by fidosim (12901 posts) -
I don't know if he beat his wife, but IIRC he entered an arranged marriage when he was like 13 and hated it. He criticized forced marriage pretty strongly later in his life.
#25 Posted by Agnidev (1432 posts) -
and he was for the caste system, but the whole beating the wife needs a source
#26 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
Good old Ghandi - 99 problems, but a ***** ain't one.
#27 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense. Theokhoth

What do you base your claim that he was a racist on? If it was an earlier writing of his, his philosophies changed as he grew older. He most certainly did not die a racist.

He didn't but as an Indian it's kind of shameful in the end to me but he's still a hero of mine and a hugely influential leader. Here is a great article on Ghandi and Racism, he was a believer in the Caste System so it makes sense. He did later on though renounce his belief in the Caste System being definite and he did preach that the people of the 'lower caste' were still children of God. Caste Article Here is the thing on his health issues with his wife, turns out I was wrong about Kidney Surgery, it was Quinnine and Penicillin Right Here I have great admiration for the man but he had faults. I'm Indian though and he is my national hero so I have a positive opinion of him.
#28 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
[QUOTE="Avistann"][QUOTE="CleanPlayer"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]Yeah he did, he was also a racist and he denied his wife kidney surgery which would later save his life (he pre-approved it for himself of course) He's still a hero though but his main argument in Africa for Indian Rights was that we were superior to the Africans. He was 'old school' in that sense.

No one should expect him to be but you still are convicting him without enough evidence. Until, I see some solid proof for these thoughts then he is pretty close to perfect.

I've heard it could be in his biography where he admits to abusing his wife.
#29 Posted by CruelPleasure (230 posts) -

I've never heard that but that is actually pretty damn messed up.

#30 Posted by fidosim (12901 posts) -
Good old Ghandi - 99 problems, but a ***** ain't one.D3nnyCrane
Is it wrong that I know most of the lyrics to that song and i'm white?
#31 Posted by HoldThePhone (3364 posts) -

I've never heard that but that is actually pretty damn messed up.

CruelPleasure
was probably pretty accepted back then
#32 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]Good old Ghandi - 99 problems, but a ***** ain't one.fidosim

Then I'm the antichrist for having it as my ring tone... "Cos Im young and Im black and my hats real low..."
#33 Posted by taj7575 (12084 posts) -

yes it is true, but he did it only maybee 2-3 times EVER... im pretty sure they even show him beating her in the Movie Ghandi if i'm not mistaken , ( anyone who hasnt seen the movie, do so, its awesome) and ive been told be 2 teachers.nimatoad2000

Yeah, it was shown in the gandhi movie. It also showed him doing it as middle aged gandhi.

*it wasnt really a beting..It was just him getting mad at his wife.

#34 Posted by Avistann (7102 posts) -
I've heard it could be in his biography where he admits to abusing his wife.CleanPlayer
Possibly. I have never heard of such thing but either way, he was still a very influential being.
#35 Posted by fidosim (12901 posts) -
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"]Good old Ghandi - 99 problems, but a ***** ain't one.D3nnyCrane

Then I'm the antichrist for having it as my ring tone... "Cos Im young and Im black and my hats real low..."

"do I look like a mind reader, sir? I dunno. Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?" "Well you was doin' fifty-five in a fifty-four..."
#36 Posted by D3nnyCrane (12058 posts) -
[QUOTE="D3nnyCrane"][QUOTE="fidosim"] Is it wrong that I know most of the lyrics to that song and i'm white?fidosim

"do I look like a mind reader, sir? I dunno. Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?" "Well you was doin' fifty-five in a fifty-four..."

I think I lose all credibility when my phone rings...
#37 Posted by nimatoad2000 (7505 posts) -

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]yes it is true, but he did it only maybee 2-3 times EVER... im pretty sure they even show him beating her in the Movie Ghandi if i'm not mistaken , ( anyone who hasnt seen the movie, do so, its awesome) and ive been told be 2 teachers.taj7575

Yeah, it was shown in the gandhi movie. But then, they get over it. It also showed him doing it as middle aged gandhi.

no one is perfect, but if anyone was, he was definately the closest.. him, the dalli llama and the buddha.. this fact dosnt lower my respect for him tho, his strategy of peace over violence to get britan outa india was genious. he gave people hope and still does.. in the global metal documentary, an indian metal band was interviewed and the band said " we can get up on stage and sing with our lyrics wearing slayer shirts, even our Ghandi G shirts.. either work"
#38 Posted by sSubZerOo (43896 posts) -
No person is perfect.. Ghandi was racist namely towards blacks who he felt savage.. And he was for a caste system, he just felt that Indian's should be on the same tier as the British.. Furthermore the Dali lama as a title is something you don't really want to claim that they are good people, they have forced their population in the region into poverty to progress their own gains. Penn and Teller actually had a whole thing on this with Ghandi, Mother Teressa, and the Dalli Llamas.
#39 Posted by Rekunta (8275 posts) -

Are you kidding? The man who gave definition to the word pacifist? I'd wager no.

#40 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

I have heard of him bieng racist towards Africans but then he met MLK so maybe he stopped

#41 Posted by D_Battery (2478 posts) -

We tend to simplify a lot of great people in history to either bad or good, when really everyone has personality faults and similarly good traits. You seldom hear that Churchill once said that he'd be glad to let Gandhi starve duringa hunger strike either, but no one is perfect despite however much they've been deified/demonized over the years.

#42 Posted by HoldThePhone (3364 posts) -

We tend to simplify a lot of great people in history to either bad or good, when really everyone has personality faults and similarly good traits. You seldom hear that Churchill once said that he'd be glad to let Gandhi starve duringa hunger strike either, but no one is perfect despite however much they've been deified/demonized over the years.

D_Battery

well gandhi would say, "no, i want this, ill fast to the death if i dont get it." im fully behind churchhill's statement 0_o.

#43 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -

I have heard of him bieng racist towards Africans but then he met MLK so maybe he stopped

Lief_Ericson
Ghandi never met him, Ghandi died before MLK was even active....
#44 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
This thread is so...untrustworthy. In other news I heard Kennedy was actually a flamboyant homosexual.
#45 Posted by fidosim (12901 posts) -
This thread is so...untrustworthy. In other news I heard Kennedy was actually a flamboyant homosexual.Sajo7
He was actually best friends with a homosexual, Lem Billings. But Kennedy himself was quite a player himself, according to Billings.
#46 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sajo7"]This thread is so...untrustworthy. In other news I heard Kennedy was actually a flamboyant homosexual.

Actually, this is a rumor. He had a docter come into the White House called Dr. "Feelgood." He would give Kennedy drugs for his back/knee pain like crystal meth, heroine, and cocaine. Believe it or not, but he made important decisions as the president on the drugs.
#47 Posted by Lief_Ericson (7082 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

Toriko42

oh wtf i thought i read that in like 3rd grade, guess not

#48 Posted by fidosim (12901 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"][QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

I think MLK did draw inspiration from Gandhi. he said something like "Christ gave me the message, Gandhi gave me the method." or something to that effect.
#49 Posted by The_Solid (1501 posts) -
He never said he was perfect.He was a guy who freed a country(My Country)without picking up a gun,and he was so far from racist,he actually helped the lower classes(Harijans)and called then "Children of god"for putting up with all the oppression they had taken. AS for beating hs wife...Nah.
#50 Posted by sSubZerOo (43896 posts) -
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

Ghandi never met him, Ghandi died before MLK was even active....Toriko42

I think MLK did draw inspiration from Gandhi. he said something like "Christ gave me the message, Gandhi gave me the method." or something to that effect.

Its pretty ironic too when Ghandi was extremely racist towards blacks specifically.