Is it time for Ferguson protesters to go home

  • 67 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) 11 months, 9 days ago

Poll: Is it time for Ferguson protesters to go home (51 votes)

Yes, enough is enough 57%
No 35%
Residents should keep protesting, but out of staters should leave 8%

So these protests (and lootings, and rock-throwing) in Ferguson, Missouri over Michael Brown's death have being on for quite some time, I think about a week. Do you think it is time for these protesters to stop, and go home. I don't mind if they want to do things like hold prayer vigils on the town green or marches on a periodic basis, but I think it's time to end these 24/7 constant protests. I don't think it's fair for the residents to have to deal with all these protests and tensions when they leave their houses to go to work or get groceries.

#1 Edited by BranKetra (50392 posts) -

The protests in Ferguson, Missouri have been occurring for eleven days.

With that in mind, I ask if you think the tensions will subside if the protests do, now.

#2 Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

I ask if you think the tensions will subside if the protests do, now.

Not immediately, but I think they will be reduced. A lot of the violence during these protests are being committed by out-of-towners, so when those people go home, residents won't have to worry as much about being mugged or looted, or hit with a thrown projectile. And without the out-of-towners, there will probably be less clashes between protesters and police.

#3 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

#4 Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Maybe. If there is a "relationship problem" between the PD and residents, it is likely that the PD is not the only one to blame for this.

#5 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Maybe. If there is a "relationship problem" between the PD and residents, it is likely that the PD is not the only one to blame for this.

Regardless, they clearly don't think their voices have previously been heard and they now have an opportunity to get people to listen. The Ferguson PD has only helped their cause in the way they've handled this whole situation.

#6 Edited by BranKetra (50392 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Some are going even further by protesting how communities are policed nation-wide.

#7 Edited by gago-gago (9959 posts) -

There's a video that got released that shows 2 police men shooting a mentally disabled man with a butter knife to death. He stole pastries and two sodas but he put the sodas on the sidewalk. The police came and he yelled out to shoot him. He was pacing erratically and I guess it scared the police and they shot like 6 rounds each. They said he had the knife ready to attack the cops but the video shows the truth. It will get even more crazy there since this happened like yesterday only miles away from Ferg.

#8 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@gago-gago: link? :)

#9 Posted by l34052 (3375 posts) -

In the words of BG Knocc Out - no peace no justice motherfuck this

The police must be made to pay by any means necessary, to quote another phrase

#10 Edited by gago-gago (9959 posts) -

@xeno_ghost: youtube search Kajieme Powell shooting, look for the cell phone footage. Cops said he had his hand up with knife but his hands were down when they shot. Crazy. I expect not only protest but another wave of riots.

Actually here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ta2-7QJM78

Strong language and violence warning.

#11 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

@BranKetra: Maybe if they don't commit crimes they won't have problems....

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (26460 posts) -

no, they're protesting for good reason

#13 Posted by Aljosa23 (26424 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

no, they're protesting for good reason

Yup. Whip must have missed that or he just don't give a shit about the black man's plight in the US, just like the Republicans don't.

#14 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch: white people don't commit crime do they?

#15 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@gago-gago: wow bro wow.

The dude with the knife was telling the cops to shoot him and the cops didn't hesitate, they were not even on the scene a minute before they shot that dude, they hardly even tried to talk the man down at all, and the guy didn't charge violently at the cops when they shot him.

All I can say is it is open season on black people in America.

The cops are on some low tolerance shoot to kill blacks vibe.

#16 Posted by playmynutz (6407 posts) -

Yeah they should stop because you had enough...

#17 Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) -

So far the poll is tied.

I wonder how the residents of Ferguson feel, if they want the protests to stop or not. I'm pretty sure most of them want the looting to stop.

#18 Posted by leif3141 (123 posts) -

It's open season on black people in America? Talk about hyperbole. Nowadays a black person merely has to mention the word "racist" to a white person and people treat that white person like a salem witch! I'm not saying there aren't white racists, because I know for a fact there still are, but because Travyon Martin gets killed (by a white/latino person) and this Michael Brown gets killed by a cop (even though there is some legitimacy to the case of the officer at this point, his story at least) does not mean "open season" on black people. Otherwise flash mobs and knockout games would mean open season on white people. Neither is the case.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (50392 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BranKetra: Maybe if they don't commit crimes they won't have problems....

If you really think that is the fundamental issue, I recommend you interact with people more and (just as important) study history along with sociology as well as humanities. You might also benefit from researching psychology. Have a nice day.

#20 Posted by thebest31406 (3689 posts) -
@playmynutz said:

Yeah they should stop because you had enough...

loool pretty much.

#21 Posted by slateman_basic (4039 posts) -

The protestors should stay and protest as long as they want.

The people who are using the protests as an excuse to start violence and commit crimes should leave or be arrested.

#22 Posted by leif3141 (123 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BranKetra: Maybe if they don't commit crimes they won't have problems....

If you really think that is the fundamental issue, I recommend you interact with people more and (just as important) study history along with sociology as well as humanities. You might also benefit from researching psychology. Have a nice day.

Actually, I think its you who needs to experience the real world as opposed to classroom PC BS. Then you might understand better what it is like to deal with "disadvantaged" people on a daily basis, and how eventually you stop caring about that because they ruin your day on a daily basis. I'm not saying its black people only - white trash people are just as bad. It mostly stems from a lack of wealth, but the thing nowadays, is the ghetto/white trash lifestyle glorifies acting without regards to others, glorifies defiance of the social system, etc. Oh, and glorifies acting like a complete moron. Are all poor people this bad? No of course not, because I work at a hotel and barely make above minimum wage. And occasionally I'm surprised by someone with their shirt 5 sizes to big, with pants down to their knees. Or thinking its appropriate to never wear a shirt out in public. But that is a vary small minority. I still learned what is was like to act with respect to others from my parents who didn't have a lot of money either, especially when we were young.

#23 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

They should have never been out there in the first place.

#24 Edited by JimB (428 posts) -

@l34052:

This guy breaks the law, attacks a police officer gets his dumb ass killed and now the police have to pay. Maybe he nee3ded to act like a decent person.

#25 Edited by DaJuicyMan (3531 posts) -

@slateman_basic: This guy's got the right idea.

#26 Posted by Slashless (9515 posts) -
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

#27 Edited by BranKetra (50392 posts) -

@leif3141,You seem to be ignoring the part in which I said "I recommend you interact with people more."

#28 Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) -

@l34052 said:

In the words of BG Knocc Out - no peace no justice motherfuck this

The police must be made to pay by any means necessary, to quote another phrase

In the words of Richard Benjamin "Old Man" Harrison, "who in the hell is" BG Knocc Out? And does not justice also entail the right to a fair trial and the presumption of innocence? Does not justice mean that if Wilson is not proven innocent he should be let free, rather than subject to this character assassination and rush to judgment

#29 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

#30 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

#31 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

They clearly had and still have their reasons. But if "they shouldn't be out there" is all the input you have on the subject, which seems to be the case, then kindly bugger off.

#32 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

They clearly had and still have their reasons. But if "they shouldn't be out there" is all the input you have on the subject, which seems to be the case, then kindly bugger off.

They protested on an idea with no evidence. That = stupid. If evidence came out that the cop brutally murdered him, and there was overwhelming intent, I could see the point.

The guy was a criminal and attacked a cop and got shot. The only reason people are there are for a racially driven political agenda that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

So yes, I stand by it. They have no reason to be there and never did.

#33 Posted by hippiesanta (10012 posts) -

ferguson protester is the real racist ...... they need to back-off

#34 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

They clearly had and still have their reasons. But if "they shouldn't be out there" is all the input you have on the subject, which seems to be the case, then kindly bugger off.

They protested on an idea with no evidence. That = stupid. If evidence came out that the cop brutally murdered him, and there was overwhelming intent, I could see the point.

The guy was a criminal and attacked a cop and got shot. The only reason people are there are for a racially driven political agenda that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

So yes, I stand by it. They have no reason to be there and never did.

They protested because of the police departments lack of details on the case and were going on the account of multiple eye witnesses and previous interactions between residents and police officers. They continued to stay out there because of the way they were being treated while protesting. And they stay out there because the case is still not cleared, they demand changes to the PD's structure and are outraged at the militarization of the police force. All totally justifiable reasons.

Also, don't act like doing something based on lack of evidence is stupid when you are doing the same. The reports of Wilson's injuries are not actually confirmed and are contradicted by multiple reports of him being conscious and uninjured at the crime scene. Nothing is yet certain and until it is, the citizens of Ferguson will and should stay out there.

#35 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

They clearly had and still have their reasons. But if "they shouldn't be out there" is all the input you have on the subject, which seems to be the case, then kindly bugger off.

They protested on an idea with no evidence. That = stupid. If evidence came out that the cop brutally murdered him, and there was overwhelming intent, I could see the point.

The guy was a criminal and attacked a cop and got shot. The only reason people are there are for a racially driven political agenda that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

So yes, I stand by it. They have no reason to be there and never did.

They protested because of the police departments lack of details on the case and were going on the account of multiple eye witnesses and previous interactions between residents and police officers. They continued to stay out there because of the way they were being treated while protesting. And they stay out there because the case is still not cleared, they demand changes to the PD's structure and are outraged at the militarization of the police force. All totally justifiable reasons.

Also, don't act like doing something based on lack of evidence is stupid when you are doing the same. The reports of Wilson's injuries are not actually confirmed and are contradicted by multiple reports of him being conscious and uninjured at the crime scene. Nothing is yet certain and until it is, the citizens of Ferguson will and should stay out there.

They weren't militarized until people started looting. It's called a "response".

I know a bullshit, race card case when I see one.

They should have never been protesting.

#36 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Slashless said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

I am interested to see how long it goes on for. A lot of these people are no longer just out there because of Brown. Many are protesting because they think there needs to be fundamental changes made to the Ferguson PD and the relationship it has with the residents of the city.

Many are just "protesting" because yay free stuff

As soon as the looting dies down

as will the protesting

such is life

"Many"? As in 10 or so of the at times hundreds? And the looting has already died down, last time was last Friday...and yet the protests go on.

They shouldn't even be out there.

They clearly had and still have their reasons. But if "they shouldn't be out there" is all the input you have on the subject, which seems to be the case, then kindly bugger off.

They protested on an idea with no evidence. That = stupid. If evidence came out that the cop brutally murdered him, and there was overwhelming intent, I could see the point.

The guy was a criminal and attacked a cop and got shot. The only reason people are there are for a racially driven political agenda that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

So yes, I stand by it. They have no reason to be there and never did.

They protested because of the police departments lack of details on the case and were going on the account of multiple eye witnesses and previous interactions between residents and police officers. They continued to stay out there because of the way they were being treated while protesting. And they stay out there because the case is still not cleared, they demand changes to the PD's structure and are outraged at the militarization of the police force. All totally justifiable reasons.

Also, don't act like doing something based on lack of evidence is stupid when you are doing the same. The reports of Wilson's injuries are not actually confirmed and are contradicted by multiple reports of him being conscious and uninjured at the crime scene. Nothing is yet certain and until it is, the citizens of Ferguson will and should stay out there.

They weren't militarized until people started looting. It's called a "response".

I know a bullshit, race card case when I see one.

They should have never been protesting.

The police decided to assault, tear gas, and arrest reporters.

I think that's plenty enough reason to protest them.

#37 Posted by whipassmt (14981 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

no, they're protesting for good reason

Debatable. Wilson may very well have killed Brown in self-defense. Even if they do have a good reason to protest, there is a time when certain things should come to an end. The people of Ferguson shouldn't have to deal with all these protests, and should be able to go to the store or to work without having to worry about large groups of protesters potentially blocking up the roads and side walks.

#38 Edited by Renevent42 (5912 posts) -

Well one thing is for sure...with 63% of the population they don't even need to protest...what they need to do is organize and vote.

#39 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75414 posts) -

Hell no, let them protest. They shot an unarmed man. If that happend here, the police would lose all credibility and the guy would be in jail faster than i can say cheesecake

#40 Posted by lamprey263 (26460 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

@lamprey263 said:

no, they're protesting for good reason

Debatable. Wilson may very well have killed Brown in self-defense. Even if they do have a good reason to protest, there is a time when certain things should come to an end. The people of Ferguson shouldn't have to deal with all these protests, and should be able to go to the store or to work without having to worry about large groups of protesters potentially blocking up the roads and side walks.

The protests aren't just about Michael Brown, they're about a lack accountability with how police treat people of color in their interactions with them, quick to believe they're in danger and use deadly force and say it was justified, police and prosecutors quick to sweep these instances of injustice under the rug. It's more than just an instance, it's a pattern, especially in communities with people of color, and if there's not to end to that then these people can protest as much as they want.

#42 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@purplelabel: Well, I'm not the one who appears to be saying it's okay for police to assault reporters.

#43 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@leif3141: "It's open season on black people in America? Talk about hyperbole."

Stating the obvious I see.

#45 Edited by thebest31406 (3689 posts) -

This thing goes far beyond Michael Brown.

#46 Edited by Heirren (19691 posts) -

People don't even know how to protest. Large groups of people impeding on the rights of other tax paying citizens? Looks more like middle school kids complaining about the quality of their hot lunch than adults organizing and getting a civil message across.

#47 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

I don't think the majority of people know why they're even protesting.

#48 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14826 posts) -

They should continue rioting and looting.

#49 Posted by leif3141 (123 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@leif3141: "It's open season on black people in America? Talk about hyperbole."

Stating the obvious I see.

LOL. Sorry I thought you were being serious :). I do agree - tasers probably need to be trained on more or something. Generally it wins in a knife fight.

#50 Posted by leif3141 (123 posts) -
@Mkavanaugh77 said:

from what ive heard.

Michael Brown had no criminal record and was ready to go to college after her graduated highschool.

Doesnt seem like a person to go attack a police officer for no reason

doesnt deserve to be shot in the back and then again multiple times in the chest and head(with your hands up), cutting his life short.

You dont think its fair for the residents trying to go to work and buy groceries?

What isnt fair is the mother and father/friends of Michael Brown getting told that their son was killed in the middle of the street while a police officer was unloading his pistol at him.

Did you SEE the video of him before this happened? He ain't the "lovable teddy bear" CNN described him as. Just because he was scheduled to go to college? Wow. The version of events you describe hasn't even been proven, yet everyone automatically assumes that's what happened. He wasn't shot in the back. That has also been proven with autopsy. If the cops really are misbehaving as badly as what's been implied by the protestors, then yes of course that's unfair. I have yet to see proof of this. Obviously it's happened in the past with various police precincts, but saying ALL cops do that is guess what - prejudging them, and setting a dangerous precedent. Course, all this doubt could be eliminated, if cops just wore some kind of body camera when on duty!