Is it practical for me to learn the piano at my age?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TopDreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TopDreg
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts
I'm 17 right now, and am about to enter my senior year in high school. That means I'll be going to college pretty soon. Unfortunately, I've yet to get my hands onto any sort of musical instrument throughout my life, and have been pretty anxious to go into one. Piano in particular has been pretty interesting. I'll be staying in a dorm in college, so... yeah, could anybody give me some advice on the situation? Should I consider it at all?
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
Go for it. You got nothing to lose.
kirbyfanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 kirbyfanatic
Member since 2007 • 2685 Posts
master the whislte first
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
Its never too late for anything.
Vortexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Vortexx
Member since 2005 • 1466 Posts

Experiment with different instruments to find which is right for you. Instructors (either in a class or private setting) help greatly. As my orchestra instructor always said, "Practice makes permanent!" If you teach yourself incorrectly, it can be difficult to un-learn.

Anyway, it's worth a try. =)

Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts
i say go for it bro
firestorm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 firestorm91
Member since 2006 • 4538 Posts
I've played a keyboard since I was about five and can still play it well today though I play more guitar. Go for it! :D
TopDreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TopDreg

I've played a keyboard since I was about five and can still play it well today though I play more guitar. Go for it! :Dfirestorm91

'Curious, is a keyboard a viable substitute for a piano in college? Like I said, I'll be in a dorm, which means there's no possibility for a piano.

theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theburg
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I hope 'pianist' sees this. He always has great posts and this is his area of expertise.

MVfalcons83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 MVfalcons83
Member since 2007 • 3515 Posts
im 14 but im not planning on playing an instrument at all in my life. It seems boring to me.
theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theburg

'Curious, is a keyboard a viable substitute for a piano in college? Like I said, I'll be in a dorm, which means there's no possibility for a piano. TopDreg

I can speak to this a bit. I always played on a real piano but had to get a keyboard for college...the keys were way too easy to press and, after about a year of playing that, when I tried to play a real piano, I had FAR FAR less control over dynamics than I was used to and I was slower and sloppier. I have successfully rehabilitated myself and I believe that playing something is better than nothing but if I were you, I would get a keyboard but go try to find a real piano every month or so and play around on it for a bit so you dont lose the feel for it. For a beginner, the problems will be less pronounced for sure so yes I would do it if I were you.

Edited for fubar formatting.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Yes. But you should be aware of the fact that you will find it more difficult for two reasons:

1) Playing piano, or any instrument for that matter, is a physical process, and as you get older, you become less adept at developing physical coordination. It's a brain development thing.

2) It's easier to become frustrated, because your intellectual understanding of what you're doing will outpace your ability to do it. You'll want to advance more quickly than you can. But this is a double-edged sword - having better intellectual reasoning abilities will be greatly to your advantage in learning what you need to learn about music to play it successfully.

Do it, but seek out a qualified instructor... and by qualified, I don't mean some hack teaching 80 students a week with a grade 8 musical education and no performance experience in the last 40 years. Look for someone with a university degree in music if you're serious about learning. If you're not really serious, you'd be better off saving your money and teaching yourself with an adult self-guided piano course, though you should never expect to become very proficient by that means.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
Its never too late.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pianist

[QUOTE="TopDreg"]'Curious, is a keyboard a viable substitute for a piano in college? Like I said, I'll be in a dorm, which means there's no possibility for a piano. theburg

I can speak to this a bit. I always played on a real piano but had to get a keyboard for college...the keys were way too easy to press and, after about a year of playing that, when I tried to play a real piano, I had FAR FAR less control over dynamics than I was used to and I was slower and sloppier. I have successfully rehabilitated myself and I believe that playing something is better than nothing but if I were you, I would get a keyboard but go try to find a real piano every month or so and play around on it for a bit so you dont lose the feel for it. For a beginner, the problems will be less pronounced for sure so yes I would do it if I were you.

I agree with much of this but not the highlighted part. It is even more essential for a beginner to have a real instrument than a pro. I can play keyboards, and though they sound and feel like junk, I will not wreck my playing by using them, nor learn bad habits, because I already know how to play the real thing. A beginner has no such experience to rely on, and so he or she will invariably suffer from stunted development without access to a real piano. However, you are absolutely correct that ANY instrument is better than no instrument at all, since daily practice is essential to development.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pianist

Experiment with different instruments to find which is right for you. Instructors (either in a class or private setting) help greatly. As my orchestra instructor always said, "Practice makes permanent!" If you teach yourself incorrectly, it can be difficult to un-learn.

Vortexx

Wise words, and this is precisely why you want to be studying in an ideal situation as soon as you can find it, with a competent instructor and a real piano. I have plenty of first-hand experience undoing problems people developed because they received inadequate instruction in the past, or had never played a real piano before coming to me, and it is indeed incredibly frustrating, especially for the student...

TopDreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TopDreg
Thanks for all the advice people. Especially from you Pianist, very sound advice. 'Think I might just give it a shot.
theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theburg
[QUOTE="theburg"]

[QUOTE="TopDreg"]'Curious, is a keyboard a viable substitute for a piano in college? Like I said, I'll be in a dorm, which means there's no possibility for a piano. pianist

I agree with much of this but not the highlighted part. It is even more essential for a beginner to have a real instrument than a pro. I can play keyboards, and though they sound and feel like junk, I will not wreck my playing by using them, nor learn bad habits, because I already know how to play the real thing. A beginner has no such experience to rely on, and so he or she will invariably suffer from stunted development without access to a real piano. However, you are absolutely correct that ANY instrument is better than no instrument at all, since daily practice is essential to development.

Youre right. I was thinking on my own past of beginner piano and playing one melody songs like "mary had a little lamb" for months on end when I was probably 6 years old. Back then, the subtleties of volume and control were far away but adults are different than 6 year olds :)

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pianist

Thanks for all the advice people. Especially from you Pianist, very sound advice. 'Think I might just give it a shot. TopDreg

Good luck to you... stick with it even when it's driving you nuts, and get your practicing in every day, even when you don't feel like it. You'll appreciate the challenge, and the fruits of your labour are well worth it. :)

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pianist

Youre right. I was thinking on my own past of beginner piano and playing one melody songs like "mary had a little lamb" for months on end when I was probably 6 years old. Back then, the subtleties of volume and control were far away but adults are different than 6 year olds :)

theburg

Very different! As a 6 year old, you can learn new coordination easily, and so transitioning to a real instrument is less of a challenge. I too started with an electric piano, then moved to a crappy upright, then to a good upright, then to a decent grand, and finally to an excellent grand. I don't think it's any surprise that I really started to take flight when I started practicing on my first real piano... and frankly I found it much more rewarding, even at the still tender age of 14.

Besides, I can't think of any adult I could convince to play Mary Had a Little Lamb for months. :P

princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts
I'm 17 too and my parents recently forced me to continue playing the piano (I started like a year ago and stopped). It's fine, if you want to play..then play.
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts
[QUOTE="theburg"]

pianist

Very different! As a 6 year old, you can learn new coordination easily, and so transitioning to a real instrument is less of a challenge. I too started with an electric piano, then moved to a crappy upright, then to a good upright, then to a decent grand, and finally to an excellent grand. I don't think it's any surprise that I really started to take flight when I started practicing on my first real piano... and frankly I found it much more rewarding, even at the still tender age of 14.

Besides, I can't think of any adult I could convince to play Mary Had a Little Lamb for months. :P

you're 14?
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts
ou're 14?greenprince
lol no, he's gone through college for music theory. I think. something along those lines
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pianist
[QUOTE="pianist"][QUOTE="theburg"]

greenprince

you're 14?

No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P

I'm 26.

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"]ou're 14?blooddemon666
lol no, he's gone through college for music theory. I think. something along those lines

hey! you took out my y in my quote: you're
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
[QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.

I never imagined you of all people would be trying to convince someone to learn to play piano. Shocking.
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blooddemon666
[QUOTE="blooddemon666"][QUOTE="greenprince"]you're 14?greenprince

sorry. sometimes my delete key gets a little exicted.
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="blooddemon666"][QUOTE="greenprince"]you're 14?blooddemon666

sorry. sometimes my delete key gets a little exicted.

Its cool. But I have to say it does take skills, hark work and dedication to play the piano efficiently
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 greenprince
[QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.Sunsha
I never imagined you of all people would be trying to convince someone to learn to play piano. Shocking.

Not like his convincing people to do drugs
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sunsha
Not like his convincing people to do drugsgreenprince
Not like I was just being sarcastic and kidding.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pianist

[QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.Sunsha

I've always been a man of mystery. :P

blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blooddemon666
[QUOTE="Sunsha"][QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.greenprince

well one thing does tend to lead to another :|
Mystic_Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mystic_Legend
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
Never too late man, just fulfil your ambition.
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"]Not like his convincing people to do drugsSunsha
Not like I was just being sarcastic and kidding.

Isn't or kidding? Not like I didn't know that
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pianist

[QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="Sunsha"][QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.blooddemon666

:lol:

I shudder to think what rumours will have surfaced by the time I check this thread again. I'd better head out, though... already up later than I should be.

"Pianist iz an 82 ure uld pedifile an he makes hiz studentz do dope!!!1!"

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="Sunsha"][QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.blooddemon666

Some situations do turn out that way, I mean, for all you know you can give a homless person 15 dollars and next thing you knowthey won the lottery. ( this has occured to me, lucky bum won 250k)
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 greenprince

[QUOTE="blooddemon666"][QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="Sunsha"][QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.pianist

I shudder to think what rumours will have surfaced by the time I check this thread again. I'd better head out, though... already up later than I should be.

Or Pianist personally met John Adams himself
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sunsha
Not like I didn't know thatgreenprince
^_^ Good thing you admit to it. :P
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blooddemon666

[QUOTE="blooddemon666"][QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="Sunsha"][QUOTE="pianist"]No... but I was when I got my first real piano. Past tense, right? :P I'm 26.pianist

sign me up :lol:
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
im learning how to play the paino, sadly i dunno how to read the music sheet, but ohh well, im learning to play "my immortal"^_^ its fun, even if i suck at it
greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"]Not like I didn't know thatSunsha
^_^ Good thing you admit to it. :P

Copied it off from the Movie Zoolander 8)
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sunsha
Copied it off from the Movie Zoolander 8)greenprince
I hated that movie...>.>
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts
My friendsbegan playing the piano while in college. One has a damn organ stowed awayin his grandmother'sgarage.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I'm 17 right now, and am about to enter my senior year in high school. That means I'll be going to college pretty soon. Unfortunately, I've yet to get my hands onto any sort of musical instrument throughout my life, and have been pretty anxious to go into one. Piano in particular has been pretty interesting. I'll be staying in a dorm in college, so... yeah, could anybody give me some advice on the situation? Should I consider it at all? TopDreg

For fun...absolutely.

For a profession...hell no.

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 greenprince
[QUOTE="greenprince"]Copied it off from the Movie Zoolander 8)Sunsha
I hated that movie...>.>

Remember Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#48 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
Go for it man! it is way better to start now then never