Is it me or are movies just mostly bad these days?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm not saying they are all bad but in the last few years it seems to be getting worst even in the early to mid 2010's I feel like there was more creative movies it just seems harder to find these days. Also I do like indie movies so it's not that I just like big blockbuster movies the majority of them today are awful IMO.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

They're bad only if you fail to explore and just watch what's put in front of you. There's lots of great stuff that comes out but you gotta put in the effort to find them. If you're only watching Star Wars and Comic book stuff, I understand why you feel that way but there's way more than that stuff.

I'll always tell people great art comes from the past, present and future. I tell that to people no matter what their biases are - does not matter if you think new movies are bad or old movies are boring. Time to explore.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

Those movies are still out there, but like Jaydan said, you just have to look.

I personally find the 80s and 90s to be the pinnacle of filmmaking, as they were right at a point where the special effects were passable to support the plot, but not so good that they could carry a film on the back of spectacle so the films still required a decent script to be successful. Nowadays they can just create that spectacle, hit render, and people will mindlessly shovel popcorn into their mouths, be "ooooo'd" and "ahhhhh'd", and walk away.

It's depressing that most of the talk I hear from people after a watching of today's films are the same type of sentiments I hear after getting off of a roller coaster: "Well, that was fun", to be quickly forgotten. Anecdotal I know, but it does feel that way.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2471 Posts

I still watch lesser known and foreign stuff, but I'm not so dishonest that I pretend movies generally are as good as they used to be. Movies did decline, even if you ignore all the mainstream. Something about "You just have to look" or how it's typically used in context also rubs me as pretty hipster. Like it's implying you shouldn't want more quality from the Hollywood stuff again and the indie and foreign are just better by being that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@jaydan said:

They're bad only if you fail to explore and just watch what's put in front of you. There's lots of great stuff that comes out but you gotta put in the effort to find them. If you're only watching Star Wars and Comic book stuff, I understand why you feel that way but there's way more than that stuff.

I'll always tell people great art comes from the past, present and future. I tell that to people no matter what their biases are - does not matter if you think new movies are bad or old movies are boring. Time to explore.

I'm not a Star Wars fan at all and I hate the majority of comic book movies. I do explore alot and I have found gems over the years all I'm saying it's getting harder to find.

@MirkoS77 said:

Those movies are still out there, but like Jaydan said, you just have to look.

I personally find the 80s and 90s to be the pinnacle of filmmaking, as they were right at a point where the special effects were passable to support the plot, but not so good that they could carry a film on the back of spectacle so the films still required a decent script to be successful. Nowadays they can just create that spectacle, hit render, and people will mindlessly shovel popcorn into their mouths, be "ooooo'd" and "ahhhhh'd", and walk away.

It's depressing that most of the talk I hear from people after a watching of today's films are the same type of sentiments I hear after getting off of a roller coaster: "Well, that was fun", to be quickly forgotten. Anecdotal I know, but it does feel that way.

80's and 90's where amazing for films so many iconic movies from those two decades. So many classics from that era that have been rebooted to hell but it can never be replicated.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

@warm_gun said:

I still watch lesser known and foreign stuff, but I'm not so dishonest that I pretend movies generally are as good as they used to be. Movies did decline, even if you ignore all the mainstream. Something about "You just have to look" also rubs me as pretty hipster. Like it's implying you shouldn't want more quality from the Hollywood stuff again and the indie and foreign are just better by being that.

100% agree.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59189 Posts

When it comes to American stuff do find them kinda boring now.

Usually opt for Asian stuff over them.

TV though is argubly better than ever. At least if you're not watching Star Trek.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Series have surpassed movies as far as my personal enjoyment of them is concerned. It's funny because I used to avoid series because I thought they were time-consuming and inferior in production values, but times have changed.

With series, I have a chance to follow and appreciate the characters and their developments for an extended period of time and to be excited about what happens next in the story for weeks and sometimes months, allowing me the time to emotionally invest in them. The last few series that I have finished still has a lasting impression and I keep going back to watching the clips on YouTube.

I have seen some good movies over the years, and while I usually have an enjoyable time with them, I usually forget about them and move on quickly afterwards. I've also become numb to big Hollywood productions where the focus is on unrelatable and flawless action heroes doing impossible feats and movies with large scale mayhem and destruction.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I think its harder for them to get creative. We are at a time where a lot of music has been sung and made and a lot of movies have been made. I think video game will get to that stage aswell. Some of us older folks will feel like its the same o same o and for the new people entering the world it will be fresh and new because they havent seen anything.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Movies and series have switched places imo; movies have gone down in quality, while many series (streaming or TV) have become really quite excellent.

Just guessing here but I think movies tend to chase trends a lot and try to make a bigger dent, and therefore take fewer risks and suffer from a quality perspective.

Series, on the other hand, get multiple chances to make impressions. They can also take more risks, and they have more time to develop their story. You also see gambles taken on actors that might be more niche or lesser known as well.

It's why the best Star Wars material in recent years has been in Rebels and Clone Wars, both series. It's why the more interesting Marvel content has been the series they've cranked out in the past few years. The best horror, mystery, and suspense I've seen in recent memory has all been from series.

Series can afford to go after specific interests, while it seems most movies tend to go after no one and therefore don't really excel at anything.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By palasta
Member since 2017 • 1407 Posts

Boring movies, boring uncharasmatic actors. Latetly i noticed the pathetic state is in. It can only get better.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

I agree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@warm_gun said:

I still watch lesser known and foreign stuff, but I'm not so dishonest that I pretend movies generally are as good as they used to be. Movies did decline, even if you ignore all the mainstream. Something about "You just have to look" or how it's typically used in context also rubs me as pretty hipster. Like it's implying you shouldn't want more quality from the Hollywood stuff again and the indie and foreign are just better by being that.

Yeah, I never understood that mentality. It's just excepting that blockbuster movies can't ever be good again which is not true.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

Well said. I find most modern Hollywood movies put style over substance and the result is entertaining but soulless. Not to mention that budgets have skyrocketed so they're unwilling to risk going into unexplored territory. They just don't bother creatively and resort to rehashing older films and ideas which is why the movie industry is full of sequels and reboots.

Personally, I branched out to Korean cinema years ago. My favorite movies of the last 10-15 years are predominantly Korean.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

People post the same question about games and the answer is the same. Sure there's mediocre stuff out there but there's plenty of good stuff if you look. There's such a wide gamut across genres, budgets, and countries that decrying "films bad". A24 has been releasing a bunch of great stuff in the last decade.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

There's a lot more content to sort through now. Used to be you watched what your local movie theater played or what was available to rent or on tv. With studios, tv channels, and streaming services having to put out some much new content a lot of stuff is getting greenlit that wouldn't have even a few years ago. Some of it's good but a lot of it is unwatchable.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18807 Posts

@warmblur: IMO since 2000. TV just as bad in quality.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

@johnd13 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Well said. I find most modern Hollywood movies put style over substance and the result is entertaining but soulless. Not to mention that budgets have skyrocketed so they're unwilling to risk going into unexplored territory. They just don't bother creatively and resort to rehashing older films and ideas which is why the movie industry is full of sequels and reboots.

Personally, I branched out to Korean cinema years ago. My favorite movies of the last 10-15 years are predominantly Korean.

I’ve heard decent things about Korean films but haven’t much delved into them as of yet. Do you have any recommendations?

One thing I forgot to mention why I enjoy older films more (and this ties into the advent of CGI and the ability for filmmakers to further realize their visions) is that the limitations of special effects back in the 80s and 90s restrained films from wandering too far from the plausible. I highly enjoy films that exercise restraint in keeping the plot within the realm of plausibility, because in that plausibility is relatability. Unless I’m watching a Marvel film or something that obviously extends past my own experiences, a movie remaining in the realm of the possible is the most effective way to sell it to the audience.

For an example, I hated Top Gun Maverick, and I feel I’m the only one on the planet that does as everywhere I look I see nothing but effusive praise for it. It was filled with not only the implausible which pulled me right out of the experience, but also felt like a nostalgic bucket list, so much so that I could sense the writer’s hand pulling the plot strings to be able to check off what was expected (bike racing the plane, great balls of fire, beach football, hard deck scoldings, “talk to me, Dad”, etc). The film reeked of not only creative bankruptcy, but of a degree of implausibility that was too hard to overcome in order for me to take purchase in the fiction.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24998 Posts

Just like mainstream games are bad. same goes for movies. ie MCU and super hero trash which dominate Hollywood are pretty bad.

only excited for John wick 4 to come out next year.

missed wild west movies.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

It's difficult to judge because as I grow older my interests get more mature too. When I was growing up I watched and enjoyed a lot of shitty B movies too.

Nowadays, by nowadays I mean the last two decades or so, I just can't get the hype surrounding MCU, Transformers, Fast and Furious movies, etc. I haven't watched everything but all I did is beyond mediocre. Even when you have good actors, you still have them acting in a green room with just awful writing.

It might be a me problem, but I feel like big pop corn movies became just corporate products, where scripts are written by focus groups and have to strictly follow production formulas. Maybe that's just a natural occurrence of capitalism as it tends to optimize profits. We see something similar with games.

There's no space for something new like Alien, Terminator or Indiana Jones nowadays. But what's even worse, you completely lost high quality movies like Apocalypse Now, Scarface, Kramer Vs Kramer (etc etc) where you had proper cinema achieving commercial success and earning a place in the popular culture of the time.

But there's still good stuff and there might be an even bigger audience for it then in the past, it's just that those who own media don't see the point on investing in it when all they need to do it to put some good looking actors in masks and people will pay for it, buy the energy drink with the branding, get the t-shirt, visit the theme park, play the game and spend a portion of their lives generating online traffic arguing if captain America should be black or white.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I’ve heard decent things about Korean films but haven’t much delved into them as of yet. Do you have any recommendations?

• Memories of Murder
  • Oldboy
  • Castaway on the Moon
  • Miracle in Cell No. 7
  • Peppermint Candy (also checkout Lee Chang-dong's other work)
  • A Bittersweet Life
  • The Chaser
  • I Saw The Devil
  • Mother
  • Joint Security Area
  • The Host
  • A Moment to Remember
  • The Wailing
  • Sympathy for Mr & Lady Vengeance

You can't go wrong with any of these. More or less, they all gave me this feeling when you've watched a really good film and you feel lost in it even after the credits roll.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WladolfPutler
Member since 2022 • 256 Posts

There are hardly any "new" and "groundbreaking" movies because almost everything has been done already and since "been there, done that" ain´t enough for hollywood, they decided to "go there again, doing it again" hence we get flooded with remakes and reboots all the time.

The only way of doing something "new" and "groundbreaking" is the way of approaching things, like "JOHN WICK" actually just telling the ancient revenge story but giving it a slight twist along with executing it in its own style.

And then again we have "NOBODY" which in fact is the same as "JOHN WICK" but giving it its own twist and making it another great experience.

I infact enjoyed "NOBODY" even more than "JOHN WICK", from a psychological point of view (and coz i just love Bobby!) coz while John Wick does not really want to go back killing people and rather being "forced" to it, "Nobody" is just looking for all the ways so that he can kill people again, after all those years of not killing any bad guys.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

I think the industry is expanding too fast too quick and talent is spreading thin. Anyhow, whenever I found something I liked, like if I like a film and not familiar with director's work maybe try seeing other films they've done. Otherwise just aimlessly trying to find something worthwhile is a total crapshoot.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

When it comes to American stuff do find them kinda boring now.

Usually opt for Asian stuff over them.

TV though is argubly better than ever. At least if you're not watching Star Trek.

The only problem with TV as a replacement for movies is that the stories tend to meander because they have to fill more time than their core stories merit. It leads everything to be like a Stephen King novel where every character has to have their own subplots.

When I finally stumble across a TV show that's tightly written and intentionally paced to fill out the runtime it was going for, it's admittedly awesome. Those just aren't that common, unfortunately, and it's simply a curse of the medium.

The_Vampress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 The_Vampress
Member since 2006 • 6472 Posts

Reading can be more entertaining than movies/shows these days. More creative unique content.

Way too many remakes, shows/movies going into the past, and or just the sheer amount certain types of it is gag worthy (like marvel).

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1407 Posts

Boring characters (actors), excessive political/social commentary, politics mutilating and limiting artistic freedom, boring movie characters, genZ, bad cgi/bad physics, too much content (streaming) quality quantity ratio. Netflix became the Steam of streaming. Or streaming became the Steam streaming...

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WladolfPutler

@The_Vampress said:

Reading can be more entertaining.

No, reading can not be more entertaining, first of all it takes too much time, time i could spend with doing better things...like playing video games or watching another remake/reboot of a movie or a book.

@The_Vampress said:

More creative unique content.

You gotta be fu**ing kiddin me.

That creative content you´re talking about, is basically just the same over and over again.

Until to this point in time, everything here on planet earth has been done already multiple times, there just aint nothing new anymore and the same is meant for books.

It is always the same in just slightly different versions, no matter if it´s either about the good knight rescuing the helpless princess from the claws of an evil dragon or The Mandalorian rescuing that green yoda-clone from some evil sith-lord....

...it´s just all the same!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

No, not just you. It's the same for videogames and music.

But yeah, it's probably just that the popular stuff is way worse now than before.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#29 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6102 Posts

Most forms of entertainment have slopped downwards,especially music. Movies hit a high mark in the 90’s and 80’s. Still pretty sad.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

I think the ballooning budgets have hampered creativity in the blockbuster scene, but if we are being honest there is a certain amount of nostalgia that clouds our vision here. We tend to judge the worst of today against the best of the past. We compare bad modern movies to Terminator 2, but for every T2 there were about 10 Running Mans. Be honest, when is the last time you heard anyone bring up Running Man? Even the worst Marvel movie is probably better than that.

Hell, most Marvel movies are better than the first X-Men trilogy. Even back in the day I didn't quite get why people liked those so much. They were just kinda fine, but expectations for comic book movies were low. Marvel may feel formulaic now, but 15 years ago they raised the bar.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WladolfPutler

@judaspete said:

Terminator 2

To me, this title is one of the most overrated movie ever while every other Terminator-Movie (except T3, which was in fact the same as T2) in that franchise has more balls than the more or less rather "pathetic" T2.

I mean even back those days i just found the idea of T-800 shooting people in their knees just to save those useless lifes, along with John Connor being a ludicrous pissant of a softie, was just something making the whole movie rather a political correct joke than being something to be taken any serious....let alone making the movie something like a "cult-classic" like its original predecessor.

But that doesn´t mean i hated T2 nor is it a bad movie, T-1000 or better good ole Jason Patrick still rocks.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

@wladolfputler: Fair enough about T2. I was just trying to say that over time highly regared stuff is remembered, and crap is forgotten.

But you bring up another interesting point. People complain about heavy handed political messages in modern movies, but that isnt exactly a new thing. Imagine how many youtubers would flip their shit when Sarah Connor laments that a robot would make a better father to John than any man she's ever known, if T2 came out today.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
Loading Video...

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 412 Posts

I think as we go on it just becomes harder to make an original film, because so many are already out there.

A few years back when I would go to the theater sometimes, I still went and saw some movies and was entertained. I guess that's the main point.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#35 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

Nothing now really excites me and feels original at least when going to the movies. I remember years ago it was animated movies that I saw with my nephews and there were a few bad ones. Before that it was superhero movies and I got burned out with those.