Is it immoral to be in a relationship with someone you like but not love?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnchartedZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnchartedZone
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

I'm a guy in high school, and so far, I've only "liked" all the girlfriends I've ever had, meaning I'm attracted to them and think they're fun to be around. However, I've never felt as if any girl was the only girl in the world. I still find plenty of other girls attractive and talk to them. That's not me saying that I've ever cheated on a girlfriend or ever will, because that's extremely disrespectful. I'm just finding that I usually like more than one girl at once, which I've given you my definition of before (attractive to me + fun to hang out with). If one of them likes me back, that's cool, and that's enough for a relationship to me. I mean, in high school, I don't think anyone's actively looking for marriage material. I just want someone who I can enjoy spending time with. However, I see so many other people my age saying they "love" their boyfriends/girlfriends and all these other ridiculous things. Anyway, my way of thinking has led to a few breakups because some girls thought I was "leading them on" or playing them. I've talked to other girls a lot while I've had girlfriends before, just because I enjoy talking to them. I don't actively try to flirt with other girls if I already have a girlfriend, but if I start talking to a girl and we click and I feel like I enjoy her company more than I do my current girlfriend, I would honestly consider breaking up with the current girlfriend for the new one. Basically, I'm not a cheater and again, I never will, but at the same time, I'm not going to completely dedicate myself to a girl as if she's the only one in the world (at least in high school). Is this wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Not at all unless you're partner is unaware of it.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
No. Pointless, yes, but not immoral.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Only if your partner doesn't know how you feel (or lack there of).

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Pretty sure in high school that's what all relationships are.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Pretty sure in high school that's what all relationships are.chessmaster1989
This. And love usually doesn't come right away in a relationship. It isn't until later that you realize it.
UnchartedZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UnchartedZone
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

No. Pointless, yes, but not immoral.Makhaidos

I don't think it's pointless if you both enjoy each other's company. 

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I have to admit it takes a while for me to reach the love stage. And you probably won't fall in love with all of your girlfriends, but if you can tell you are not going to do so you should probably end it.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
don't wanna read your wall of text.. but based on the title: no, how are you even supposed to know you love someone if you haven't already been in a relationship with them? your feelings may change, or they may not. it's only immoral if you tell her you love her and don't mean it. then you would be leading her on and that's not right.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
No. Pointless, yes, but not immoral.Makhaidos
How so? Not all relationships are meant to end up with marriage, or even a long term stay. There are still things to be gained from a month long relationship.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]No. Pointless, yes, but not immoral.monkeytoes61
How so? Not all relationships are meant to end up with marriage, or even a long term stay. There are still things to be gained from a month long relationship.

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be a relationship. On this level, I use the term "fling" or "crush." Nice while it lasts, if nothing else.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"][QUOTE="Makhaidos"]No. Pointless, yes, but not immoral.Makhaidos

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be a relationship. On this level, I use the term "fling" or "crush." Nice while it lasts, if nothing else.

I guess I mean, even if you know a relationship isn't meant to last the test of time, it can still be worth having.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Pretty sure in high school that's what all relationships are.chessmaster1989

This. It's all puppy dog love. I've seen couples who I never thought would break up end up breaking up while in college. The chances of a high school relationship resulting into a marriage is slim so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Go have some flings, mantain good friendships with girls, and perhaps go on a date.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Pretty sure in high school that's what all relationships are.Saturos3091
This. And love usually doesn't come right away in a relationship. It isn't until later that you realize it.

No.  Plenty of people have serious relationships that turn into marriage from High school.  I am a product of such a relationship.

It is immoral if they want more and you know you cant give it to them, but dont tell them that.  if it isnt very serious or they dont care anyway, then that is up to you guys.