Is homosexuality a natural thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#301 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@toast_burner: Who the Hell cares? Humans can do what they want with there sexual life. Everyone has there secrets, it's not my business to judge another Human being.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#302 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@davillain- said:

@toast_burner: Who the Hell cares? Humans can do what they want with there sexual life. Everyone has there secrets, it's not my business to judge another Human being.

well unfortunately some people do care. You're right it's none of their business if some couple kisses in public or have sex in private, but some people like to think it is their business.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#303 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@kakamoura said:

I don't get the "natural" argument.

If it's not natural then what is it?

Also, being natural doesn't make it good or bad.

It's really just a moot argument, there's nothing in it.

Yeah. Some of the most awesome things are "unnatural."

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

yes

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#305  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

To be considered natural, it must be present in nature. Homosexuality is present in nature. Therefore, it is natural. Humans are not the only animals who can be gay.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@davillain- said:

What? We still discussion this crap? Man give it a rest.

We're*

discussing*

Of course we are..... it's eternal.. huehuehuehue

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I used to debate this issue with myself a lot. It boils down to the simple concept of nature vs nurture.

whichever side of that argument you fall on, does it really matter if a person was genetically predisposed to have have sexual desires for a member of a similar sex, or if they just elected out of their own free will to have a relationship with each other?

Either way, why would you want to impede on them when it doesn't affect you.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

I used to debate this issue with myself a lot. It boils down to the simple concept of nature vs nurture.

whichever side of that argument you fall on, does it really matter if a person was genetically predisposed to have have sexual desires for a member of a similar sex, or if they just elected out of their own free will to have a relationship with each other?

Either way, why would you want to impede on them when it doesn't affect you.

Most of the things people like to debate about doesn't really affect them any way.

When people debate this matter, they're doing this either to justify the religion's claims that 'homosexuality is evil' or they're trying to disprove that. That's the only reason why this debate exist.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

I would need to have "natural" defined to comment.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@top_lel said:

@davillain- said:

What? We still discussion this crap? Man give it a rest.

We're*

discussing*

Of course we are..... it's eternal.. huehuehuehue

Fine whatever. I play my part in this, I'll have nothing further to comment on this stupid thread.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#311 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk: "Actually no it hasn't since no one knows if animals perceives sex and gender like we human do."

That has no bearing on whether or not homosexuality has been observed in animals other than humans. Look up the definition of "homosexuality", it seems that you don't understand what that word means.

"its kinda obvious that any sexual behaviour that isn´t for the sole purpose of that is not natural."

No, it's not. Now look up the word "natural."

Its getting pretty tiresome debating with someone like you Thegerg, you go from literal jane to ambiguous joe in a split second and often multiple times in a post to suit what ever home-made argument you want to come across.

But anyways of course you are and your likeminded need to prove that animals have the same perception of sex/gender as humans, otherwise its pointless to compare two things, its like comparing apples and chocolate eggs. Because after all there could be 100 of reasons why a animal acts a certain way, dominace, submissive, insanity etc.....

So calling homosexuality natural is dead wrong and the only one needing to look anything up is you.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

why did i bother coming back to read just one thread

literally one thread

one

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 Jacanuk

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk: " But anyways of course you are and your likeminded need to prove that animals have the same perception of sex/gender as humans, otherwise its pointless to compare two things"

Not true. Whether homosexuality exists doesn't not depend on the perceptions of those participating. It only depends on whether or not those of the same sex are having sex.

Also, you've presented nothing that proves that homosexuality is not natural.

Well, again with the idea of being literal jane and thinking that homo-sexuality just means "having sex with the same gender" sexuality doesn't even come close to just meaning putting your wang in someone´s dong.

But you want the biggest argument for homosexuality not being natural, is that its simply not possible to reproduce, thereby its clearly a deviant behaviour.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk: " But anyways of course you are and your likeminded need to prove that animals have the same perception of sex/gender as humans, otherwise its pointless to compare two things"

Not true. Whether homosexuality exists doesn't not depend on the perceptions of those participating. It only depends on whether or not those of the same sex are having sex.

Well, again with the idea of being literal jane and thinking that homo-sexuality just means "having sex with the same gender" sexuality doesn't even come close to just meaning putting your wang in someone´s dong.

But you want the biggest argument for homosexuality not being natural, is that its simply not possible to reproduce, thereby its clearly a deviant behaviour.

The vast majority of things people do doesn't result in procreation.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

You are right and thats why in the end does it really matter if something is natural or not?

I know why some tend to fire up the debate about homosexuality being natural because if its natural they can claim its somehow more normal which is just stupid.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#318  Edited By 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

You are right and thats why in the end does it really matter if something is natural or not?

I know why some tend to fire up the debate about homosexuality being natural because if its natural they can claim its somehow more normal which is just stupid.

People argue that it's natural because to say it's anything else is incredibly stupid. No it doesn't matter but why would anyone argue that it's unnatural when it so obviously is?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 Jacanuk
@thegerg said:
@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

In what way is it unnatural or abnormal for two consenting adults who are sexually attracted to each other to engage in a sexual relationship?

In what way do you care if it is or isn't?

And what 2 human adults do in their bed should be their business no one elses.

But since you ask , since the natural thing for any species is to secure the survival of its race, any behaviour not tuned to that is unnatural.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 Jacanuk

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

People argue that it's natural because to say it's anything else is incredibly stupid. No it doesn't matter but why would anyone argue that it's unnatural when it so obviously is?

You must mean that its incredible stupid to claim that it is natural.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

You must mean that its incredible stupid to claim that it is natural.

Look up the definition of natural. The word is completely pointless. If something exists then it is natural.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 GreySeal9

@Jacanuk

Are you creating some new style of debate where you don't have to actually give any evidence for your claims?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 Jacanuk

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

Are you creating some new style of debate where you don't have to actually give any evidence for your claims?

Do you mean if i am creating a way of debating like you where i think education is intelligence? then no.

At least i dont run around like you Grey seal and just invent things.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

Do you mean if i am creating a way of debating like you where i think education is intelligence? then no.

lol. Still asshurt about that thread? (The awful reading comprehension that led you to believe I was saying education=intelligence demonstrates the importance of education).

Anyway, you've completely invented a definition of natural in which procreation is mandatory. Why don't you show us, with a credible source, where you're getting that definition?

Disclaimer: your ass doesn't count as a source.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 Jacanuk

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

lol. Still asshurt about that thread? (The awful reading comprehension that led you to believe I was saying education=intelligence demonstrates the importance of education).

Anyway, you've completely invented a definition of natural in which procreation is mandatory. Why don't you show us, with a credible source, where you're getting that definition?

Are you disputing facts you should have learned in biology 101 in first grade? and you claim education makes you intelligent....

Also you clearly need to learn to read and understand english, you claimed that education was key in the ability to reason, i proved you wrong and even pointed out that intelligence is what makes you able to reason. You because of clearly being aware of your mistake, then kept trying to pull the debate in another direction, i kinda pity your attempt because it failed miserably and you were schooled by several others also.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

Are you disputing facts you should have learned in biology 101 in first grade? and you claim education makes you intelligent....

Also you clearly need to learn to read and understand english, you claimed that education was key in the ability to reason, i proved you wrong and even pointed out that intelligence is what makes you able to reason. You because of clearly being aware of your mistake, then kept trying to pull the debate in another direction, i kinda pity your attempt because it failed miserably and you were schooled by several others also.

Haha. I know you're angry about what happened in that thread, but you really need to let it go. This thread is about homosexuality, it's not a place for you to lick your wounds.

Again, if these are facts I should have learned in Biology 101, it should be easy for you produce a credible source that says that procreation is mandatory is something being natural. So where is your source?

Protip: you need something that is called a "source" to prove a claim. Just insisting on something doesn't make it true.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By GreySeal9

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:
@thegerg said:
@Jacanuk said:

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

In what way is it unnatural or abnormal for two consenting adults who are sexually attracted to each other to engage in a sexual relationship?

In what way do you care if it is or isn't?

And what 2 human adults do in their bed should be their business no one elses.

But since you ask , since the natural thing for any species is to secure the survival of its race, any behaviour not tuned to that is unnatural.

In what way do you care if ti is or isn't? You've spent some time debating whether it is or isn't yourself.

"the natural thing for any species is to secure the survival of its race, any behaviour not tuned to that is unnatural."

On what do you base this claim? What, exactly, do you think the word "natural" means?

There are countless acts that are not possible of resulting in reproduction. Is my mother and father's sexual relationship unnatural because she doesn't have ovaries?

Funny that our good buddy Jacanuk totally ignored this post.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 Jacanuk

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

Haha. I know you're angry about what happened in that thread, but you really need to let it go. This thread is about homosexuality, it's not a place for you to lick your wounds.

Again, if these are facts I should have learned in Biology 101, it should be easy for you produce a credible source that says that procreation is mandatory is something being natural. So where is your source?

What planet are you on? or are you really asking me to educate you on how a species survive?

Wow, i have heard some dumb things on gamespot but you really do take the cake and the stand and everything else.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk

What planet are you on? or are you really asking me to educate you on how a species survive?

Wow, i have heard some dumb things on gamespot but you really do take the cake and the stand and everything else.

No, I am not asking you to educate me on how species survive (as if you have the ability to educate anybody on anything). I'm asking you produce a credible source that proves that procreation is mandatory in a definition of natural.

Where is your source? If what I'm saying is so dumb, you should be able to easily produce one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 Jacanuk

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk: I took bio on school, and my girlfriend has a bio degree. Neither one of us remember being taught in any bio class that the definition of "natural" has anything to do with reproduction. Care to share your source?

You need to learn to read what i wrote, But since you claim to have a GF with a biology degree, you should know that for a species to survive it has to reproduce, and since that takes 2. It´s pretty obvious that its pretty natural for a species to mate with the opposite sex, its again pretty obvious that it's unnatural for a species to "mate" with its own gender.

And since you still haven´t with your waste knowledge of biology been able to link, prove or otherwise that animals have the same concept of sex and gender, its again not even once proven that homosexuality happens in nature, since its again and you with your biology knowledge should know this, not just about sex with the same gender, unless you also start to claim that it is what makes you gay.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk: I took bio on school, and my girlfriend has a bio degree. Neither one of us remember being taught in any bio class that the definition of "natural" has anything to do with reproduction. Care to share your source?

It´s pretty obvious that its pretty natural for a species to mate with the opposite sex, its again pretty obvious that it's unnatural for a species to "mate" with its own gender.

Saying "it's pretty obvious" is no substitute for sourcing your claims. Again, where are your sources?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#337 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

It would seem that Jacanuk prefers the company of gentlemen.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 GreySeal9

@chessmaster1989 said:

It would seem that Jacanuk prefers the company of gentlemen.

*snickers*

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 Jacanuk

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

It´s pretty obvious that its pretty natural for a species to mate with the opposite sex, its again pretty obvious that it's unnatural for a species to "mate" with its own gender.

Saying "it's pretty obvious" is no substitute for sourcing your claims.

Right and i don't have to prove to anyone that the sky is blue or that fire can burn.

So sorry i don't have time to waste explaining kindergarten things to you, so ask your teacher or mom.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By GreySeal9

@Jacanuk said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

Saying "it's pretty obvious" is no substitute for sourcing your claims.

Right and i don't have to prove to anyone that the sky is blue or that fire can burn.

So sorry i don't have time to waste explaining kindergarten things to you, so ask your teacher or mom.

You do realize that it won't kill you to admit that you can't produce a source, right? All this deflection you're doing looks exhausting.

If this is kindergarten stuff, it will take you all of one minute to source your claim. So where are your sources?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 GreySeal9

Funnily enough, if you look up natural in the dictionary, it says absolutely nothing about procreation.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By GreySeal9

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

You need to learn to read what i wrote, But since you claim to have a GF with a biology degree, you should know that for a species to survive it has to reproduce, and since that takes 2. It´s pretty obvious that its pretty natural for a species to mate with the opposite sex, its again pretty obvious that it's unnatural for a species to "mate" with its own gender.

And since you still haven´t with your waste knowledge of biology been able to link, prove or otherwise that animals have the same concept of sex and gender, its again not even once proven that homosexuality happens in nature, since its again and you with your biology knowledge should know this, not just about sex with the same gender, unless you also start to claim that it is what makes you gay.

Please provide your source showing us that definition of "natural."

There are countless acts that are not possible of resulting in reproduction. Is my mother and father's sexual relationship unnatural because she doesn't have ovaries?

"its again not even once proven that homosexuality happens in nature,"

Yes it has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

You see how thegerg linked to wikipedia to support his argument, Jacanuk? That is called sourcing your claim. I promise you that it's quite an easy process.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 Jacanuk

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

And here you have your biggest problem.

You and Wikipedia have yet to prove that animals have the same understanding of sex and gender as humans and that the "homosexual" behaviour witnessed is actually that and not just basic instincts and a fluke because the animal either isent in contact with the opposite sex, like with the gay penguins in a zoo (People forgot in their gay thoughts that penguins in nature has a behaviour where males take care of the egg, and females gather food, and that the two male penguins just showed normal behaviour, not to mention that they usually stick to one mate for life) or a case of a male/female exerting its dominance over other males/females.

So again prove that and we can agree that homosexuality exists in nature, otherwise stop trying to prove something that you can't.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 Jacanuk

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

You and Wikipedia have yet to prove that animals have the same understanding of sex and gender as humans and that the "homosexual" behaviour witnessed is actually that and not just basic instincts and a fluke because the animal either isent in contact with the opposite sex, like with the gay penguins in a zoo (People forgot in their gay thoughts that penguins in nature has a behaviour where males take care of the egg, and females gather food, and that the two male penguins just showed normal behaviour, not to mention that they usually stick to one mate for life) or a case of a male/female exerting its dominance over other males/females.

So again prove that and we can agree that homosexuality exists in nature, otherwise stop trying to prove something that you can't.

That's not a problem. Homosexuality has nothing to do with the understanding of gender (it has nothing to do with gender at all, by the way) of the participants.

Pick up a dictionary some time:

"ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty

noun

:erotic activity with another of the same sex"

You have a bad habit of ascribing certain definitions to words that aren't really accurate.

You really need to stop trying make up your own definitions to fit your own little home made argument.

"Homosexuality (from Ancient Greekὁμός, meaning "same", and Latinsexus, meaning "sex") is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender. As a sexual orientation, homosexuality is "an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" primarily or exclusively to people of the same sex. It "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions."[1][2]

Along with bisexuality and heterosexuality, homosexuality is one of the three main categories of sexual orientation within the heterosexual–homosexual continuum.[1] There is no consensus among scientists about why a person develops a particular sexual orientation.[1] Many scientists think that nature and nurture – a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences – factor into the cause of sexual orientation.[1][3] They favor biologically-based theories,[3] which point to genetic factors, the early uterine environment, both, or the inclusion of genetic and social factors.[4][5] There is no substantive evidence which suggests parenting or early childhood experiences play a role when it comes to sexual orientation;[4] when it comes to same-sex sexual behavior, shared or familial environment plays no role for men and minor role for women.[5] While some religious people hold the view that homosexual activity is unnatural,[6][7] research has shown that homosexuality is an example of a normal and natural variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects.[1][8] Most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation,[1] and there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation.[9]"

Or do you suddenly want to claim that Wiki is not a reliable source.....

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 GreySeal9

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

@Jacanuk said:

@thegerg said:

That's not a problem. Homosexuality has nothing to do with the understanding of gender (it has nothing to do with gender at all, by the way) of the participants.

Pick up a dictionary some time:

"ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty

noun

:erotic activity with another of the same sex"

You have a bad habit of ascribing certain definitions to words that aren't really accurate.

You really need to stop trying make up your own definitions to fit your own little home made argument.

"Homosexuality (from Ancient Greekὁμός, meaning "same", and Latinsexus, meaning "sex") is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender. As a sexual orientation, homosexuality is "an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" primarily or exclusively to people of the same sex. It "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions."[1][2]

Along with bisexuality and heterosexuality, homosexuality is one of the three main categories of sexual orientation within the heterosexual–homosexual continuum.[1] There is no consensus among scientists about why a person develops a particular sexual orientation.[1] Many scientists think that nature and nurture – a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences – factor into the cause of sexual orientation.[1][3] They favor biologically-based theories,[3] which point to genetic factors, the early uterine environment, both, or the inclusion of genetic and social factors.[4][5] There is no substantive evidence which suggests parenting or early childhood experiences play a role when it comes to sexual orientation;[4] when it comes to same-sex sexual behavior, shared or familial environment plays no role for men and minor role for women.[5] While some religious people hold the view that homosexual activity is unnatural,[6][7] research has shown that homosexuality is an example of a normal and natural variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects.[1][8] Most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation,[1] and there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation.[9]"

Or do you suddenly want to claim that Wiki is not a reliable source.....

"is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex"

Exactly. It does not require a certain level of understanding of gender or sex. Animals do not need to understand sex or gender in the same way that humans do in order to be homosexual, they simply need to participate in "sexual behavior between members of the same sex."

Thanks for providing a source that supports my claim!

Not to mention that his own source says this:

"While some religious people hold the view that homosexual activity is unnatural,[6][7] research has shown that homosexuality is an example of a normal and natural variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects.[1][8] Most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation,[1] and there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation.[9]"

lol