Is harassment at nerd conventions blown out of proportion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts

I was arguing on Twitter earlier that this girl is complaining about harassment, but she had no proof to back up her claims which makes it understandable if there are doubters...even though it could have happened.

On a broader sense, do you think harassment claims are sometimes exaggerated to gain attention? Do you think that's harsh to even think about such a question?

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

I've never been harassed outside of some awkward creeps, probably because I don't go looking like a stripper as you see with a lot of girls.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I couldn't watch the video... that lady is scary. Something 'bout them eyebrows?

Wish I had more info on what happened. Did some guys just hit on her or what?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

If it really happened I feel bad for her, but about halfway through the video it started sounding fake...so she had a conversation with the organisers about her complaints, they pretty much told her to stop dressing like a slut (paraphrasing) which yeah, it's a horrible thing to say, but then all of a sudden every security guard started harassing her out of nowhere? Did they get a memo saying "if you find that big breasted chick dressed in blue annoy the shit out of her"? I'm not buying it...

(Also slightly disturbing that her next video starts with her jumping up and down and then wiggling her breasts at the camera)

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

I just watched the video and I felt bad for her...until I checked her next video.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I doubt girls would go to these conventions if harassment and uncomfortable situations were frequent.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

She seems like an attention whore.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Couldn't watch. Cosplayers at a convention should expect this kind of behavior. I imagine that if someone cosplayed as Fabio and went to a romance novel convention he would face the same behavior.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts
@Gaming-Planet said:

She seems like an attention whore.

This.

I've never seen it.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

Well, I'm sure she did get a lot of attention if that was how she was dressed, but I'm not sure I believe her in regards to the extent of the attention. And she says all of this into a camera pointed down at her breasts, which just makes me think she just wants attention.

hyksiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 hyksiu
Member since 2010 • 2201 Posts

Well its a normal human reaction to seeing somebody particularly sexualy attractive...

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Looking, or even ogling, at an attractive girl dressed provocatively is pretty much unavoidable, and while it may be awkward for the girl, it's ultimately harmless. But if people are actually touching her without permission then that crosses a line. Guys should have more control over themselves and it's pretty pathetic if they can't even keep their hands off her.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Megane

@PernicioEnigma:

Even as far as touching goes, it depends on where they touch, if she is taking a photo with someone it should be expected that they put their arm around her unless she specifies otherwise. I had to jump around the video to make it to the end, but I don't think she was groped or anything or that would have been a bigger focus, but if it happened then that's inexcusable.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

hmmm, as far as i can remember was being bothered by a guy once, he kept touching me and stuff, i was done with it and broke his nose, might went a little overboard but never got bothered by anyone again :p

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma

@megane said:

@PernicioEnigma:

Even as far as touching goes, it depends on where they touch, if she is taking a photo with someone it should be expected that they put their arm around her unless she specifies otherwise. I had to jump around the video to make it to the end, but I don't think she was groped or anything or that would have been a bigger focus, but if it happened then that's inexcusable.

That's true, and I doubt she'd be making a fuss over something as innocent as some putting an arm around her while getting their photo taken. I can only go by what she says, and I'm 100% aware she could be bullshitting for attention, actually that would no surprise me at all...

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Megane

@PernicioEnigma:

I still think she's just exaggerating for attention, it's one thing to cosplay a scantily clad character in public, but making a Youtube video with a camera aimed at her cleavage tells me she's just looking for video views.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma

@megane said:

@PernicioEnigma:

I still think she's just exaggerating for attention, it's one thing to cosplay a scantily clad character in public, but making a Youtube video with a camera aimed at her cleavage tells me she's just looking for video views.

There's also a video of her in a white top and underwear pouring water over herself. I gotta say she has a great body.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts
@PernicioEnigma said:

There's also a video of her in a white top and underwear pouring water over herself. I gotta say she has a great body.

Someone should have told her that the ALS challenge is not intended as a miss wet t-shirt practice...you dump water over your head, not over your breasts and then roll the shirt up.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I understand what you are saying, but just because a woman is dressed a certain way should not be a valid excuse. Same for men, if a guy is dressed anyway he should not be considered open to harrassment.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I always thought nerds were too socially awkward to hit on those girls.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

I always thought nerds were too socially awkward to hit on those girls.