Is GS OT part of the 'Manosphere'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by loco145 (10775 posts) -

Deep in the underbelly of the Internet is a hidden corner known as the "Manosphere"— a collection of websites, Facebook pages and chat rooms where men vent their rage and spew anti-women rhetoric.

Protected by the anonymity of the Internet, men feel free to post hateful and violent comments. Posts such as "I really wouldn't mind shooting a [expletive] dead in the face, they are evil, all of them," and "Women are the natural enemies of men" are commonplace on sites like "A Voice for Men," a Manosphere blog run by Paul Elam.

Elam told ABC News' "20/20" that while he may not agree with some of the comments that are made on his site, he believes men are society's victims and need a forum to vent.

"There has been a change in the world, especially in the last 50 years. Women's roles have changed drastically," he told "20/20." "What a lot of us in this area find is that men's roles have not changed very much. Many find now that they have to react."

Elam explained that men leave these comments in the Manosphere to get people to listen.

"It's ... very much designed to get someone like you to sit down and ask me questions," he told 20/20's Elizabeth Vargas. "We are addressing a group of problems that this society ignores."

Elam said institutions like marriage and corrupt family courts have become dangerous for men.

"Marriage has become unsafe ground for men, because we have corrupt family courts that practice bias against men and fathers routinely," he told 20/20. "And men are waking up to this, that they don't get a fair deal."

Source.

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I always imagined Gamespot as a whole bunch of Reddit rejects who are experts in all areas except women.

#3 Edited by thegerg (15419 posts) -

no

#4 Posted by ferrari2001 (16966 posts) -

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Nah, we don't spout anti-women rhetoric. We just acknowledge that their proper place is the kitchen. And touching their shoulder is the best way to get their attention.

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

#6 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I always imagined Gamespot as a whole bunch of Reddit rejects who are experts in all areas except women.

#7 Edited by ferrari2001 (16966 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

I did that in bio class once, chick totally gave my eye contact. Think she wanted the....

Oh if you touched her should and she gave you eye contact you should have immediately proceeded to the broom closet.

#8 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Oh if you touched her should and she gave you eye contact you should have immediately proceeded to the broom closet.

Yeah, mane. I wanted to take her home.... to wash my clothes.

#9 Posted by ferrari2001 (16966 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Yeah, mane. I wanted to take her home.... to wash my clothes.

Smart putting the laundry machine in the kitchen... Where it belongs.

#10 Edited by lostrib (37535 posts) -

is that like SRS for men?

#11 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

no way man

#12 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

We certainly have members who are that misogynistic.

#13 Posted by loco145 (10775 posts) -

@Barbariser said:

We want names!

#14 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -

nah man OT is like 80% female

#15 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

OT is a paradise of equality and brotherly love. We don't judge. We don't insult. We don't even fart.

#16 Edited by ferrari2001 (16966 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

OT is a paradise of equality and brotherly love. We don't judge. We don't insult. We don't even fart.

Hell I don't ever think I've actually seen an argument here. It's usually 20 pages of people agreeing and complimenting each other.

#17 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@Barbariser said:

We want names!

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/Allicrombie/

#18 Posted by dave123321 (34130 posts) -

Some members are. For the most part they are called out for it though.

#19 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

This is probably the most bullshit comment on GS, but I love it. And wish it were true.

#20 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

As for the topic, I've heard of men describing being with a woman nowadays is equivalent to castration, but I doubt that's true. Few things are worse than having your pee wee cut off.

#21 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@Barbariser said:

We want names!

I'm pretty sure that discussing forum members in this way is not considered to be good form, even if I personally find them reprehensible.

#22 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

As for the topic, I've heard of men describing being with a woman nowadays is equivalent to castration, but I doubt that's true. Few things are worse than having your pee wee cut off.

Really, if you want to be manly, you should have sex with men. It's twice the manliness with half the melodrama.

#23 Edited by BranKetra (48730 posts) -

Negative

#24 Posted by xdude85 (4427 posts) -

I consider GameSpot to be a forgotten wasteland.

#25 Edited by GreySeal9 (24404 posts) -

I'd say it's about half and half. Half of the users are well adjusted with normal, healthy attitudes towards women, the other half are manbabies with stupid/ignorant/bitter attitudes towards women.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed more sexists, racists, and people with loony political beliefs in 2013 than the other years I've been here.

#26 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

I'd say it's about half and half. Half of the users are well adjusted with normal, healthy attitudes towards women, the other half are manbabies with stupid/ignorant/bitter attitudes towards women.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed more sexists, racists, and people with loony political beliefs in 2013 than the other years I've been here.

Well, 13 is an unlucky number. :P

#27 Posted by gamerguru100 (10647 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@gamerguru100 said:

Really, if you want to be manly, you should have sex with men. It's twice the manliness with half the melodrama.

I'll pass, but thanks for the advice.

#28 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -

Deep in the heart of the manosphere, manly men discuss their manly ambitions to become King of Manopoly.

#29 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16316 posts) -

Not to me. I don't have problems with women. I mean I sometimes think they're a piece of meat. But, hate them? Nope.

Grrr. Woof..... Mama.