Is Google Officially the New Evil Empire?

#1 Edited by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

Unprecedented patent abuse? Ads on your refrigerator and dashboards? A move into military robotics? Satellites overhead? Anti-competitive behavior? Unprecedented Wi-Fi privacy breaches? And to top it all off --

-- YouTube will block videos from artists who don't sign up for its paid streaming service --

As YouTube prepares to roll out an ad-free streaming music service, it will block videos from indie artists who don't sign up for the new offering, as originally reported by Financial Times. YouTube has signed deals with the major labels, and is explicitly threatening to block artists from using the entire YouTube platform — free or paid — if they do not agree to the terms of the new streaming service.

Credit The Verge

That paints a pretty clear picture of a company we should hope to avoid. Don't you think?

#2 Posted by chaplainDMK (6908 posts) -

That's just dumb business practice, evil I really wouldn't label it.

There's a certain company you enjoy a lot that I'd label evil a lot quicker than Google.

#3 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@chaplainDMK said:

That's just dumb business practice, evil I really wouldn't label it.

There's a certain company you enjoy a lot that I'd label evil a lot quicker than Google.

Why would Apple be more evil? They aren't acquiring companies that create military robots, attempting to put ads on your thermostat, or willingly stealing personal data from vehicles outside of personal residences. They also aren't responsible for creating the single most patent infringing OS in history.

If you can present me with anything concrete, I'd love to see it. I love surprises, truly.

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (3534 posts) -

that would be the US Government

#5 Posted by Allicrombie (25518 posts) -

Until I get a google car, I hereby deem them as evil.

#7 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

Apple is moar evil.

You're the second one to say it without providing any meaningful evidence. :P

Like I said before, I love surprises but am so rarely surprised in this arena. I don't think anyone can beat Google and/or Samsung. If you can provide me evidence of Apple's business practices that are contrary to that belief -- please do so. I'd love a good surprise.

#8 Posted by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

Apple is like the other side of the google coin

#9 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Apple is like the other side of the google coin

People keep saying this but nobody seems willing or able to support it. Can you do what nobody has managed to do so far?

#10 Posted by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

I don't care to explain things. But I will say that I use apple products and google and will continue to do so even though I know they do stuff like whatever has been mentioned and will be mentioned

#11 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

I don't care to explain things. But I will say that I use apple products and google and will continue to do so even though I know they do stuff like whatever has been mentioned and will be mentioned

You care just enough to lob an opinion, but not enough to explain it? Perhaps your confidence on the matter doesn't encourage an explanation.

I will say, however, that apathetic commentary does mean very little to those who choose to think critically.

#12 Edited by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

I care enough to post but not enough to care

#13 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

I care enough to post but not enough to care

Well at least you're honest. That's something.

#14 Posted by dave123321 (34363 posts) -

I want a google car. I would think that I would want the next iteration of google glass.

#15 Posted by magicalclick (23764 posts) -

Over charging H.264 and blocking MS made YouTube app are two of the most evil things they did. And it will keep getting worse. This is why Apple uses Bing for their Siri, Google cannot be trusted when they hold too much power. Not saying other companies are not evil, but, at least other big companies are more subtle in their actions instead of trolling around.

#16 Posted by themajormayor (24201 posts) -

Yes. Officially.

#17 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

I want a google car. I would think that I would want the next iteration of google glass.

I think self-driving cars are great for something, but not for me. :P

#18 Posted by uninspiredcup (12391 posts) -

That shit avoiding tax is annoying.

#19 Edited by comp_atkins (31977 posts) -

any company making money by selling advertising is instantly evil in my book

#20 Edited by BranKetra (49619 posts) -

Google is doing many promising things, but stuff like anti-competitor practices is something they need to be held accountable for. During the first few years YouTube has been online, that site was a much different place. Now, there are many ads because many believe their videos will go viral and there is the hope that income can be earned from it. With Google, it is becoming a site which does things I do not approve of.

@magicalclick said:

Over charging H.264 and blocking MS made YouTube app are two of the most evil things they did. And it will keep getting worse. This is why Apple uses Bing for their Siri, Google cannot be trusted when they hold too much power. Not saying other companies are not evil, but, at least other big companies are more subtle in their actions instead of trolling around.

MegaTube works fine, actually.

#21 Posted by wis3boi (31957 posts) -

Comcast

/thread

#22 Posted by whipassmt (14416 posts) -

Nah. I would not call them an evil company.

#23 Posted by Open-Casket (72 posts) -

Where are you gonna find out about information? I guess there is books. Plus the porn...

#24 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

That's just dumb business practice, evil I really wouldn't label it.

There's a certain company you enjoy a lot that I'd label evil a lot quicker than Google.

Why would Apple be more evil? They aren't acquiring companies that create military robots, attempting to put ads on your thermostat, or willingly stealing personal data from vehicles outside of personal residences. They also aren't responsible for creating the single most patent infringing OS in history.

If you can present me with anything concrete, I'd love to see it. I love surprises, truly.

While Google does do some shady stuff, I'd also like to point out that Google helps people a hell of a lot more than Apple. Whether it's their free services like Translate and Maps, or their cheap super high speed internet with Google Fiber. They do a lot more for consumers than Apple. Also, Apple is a HUGE patent troll as well. That on top of their ridiculous anti-flash stance, Apple does just as many anti-consumer things as Google without any of the positives that Google has.

I wouldn't consider either company truly great, but Google has done a lot more for the average person than Apple has. The only reason Google is doing more of this shady stuff is simply because they're a much bigger company and can afford the investment. If Apple could expand like Google, they would.

Also, I'm not sure how acquiring a company that creates military robots is exactly evil, unless you consider our armed forces to be evil....

EDIT: For clarification I don't think Apple is "more evil" than Google. I don't think either company is evil, just stating my views on the topic.

#25 Posted by chaplainDMK (6908 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

That's just dumb business practice, evil I really wouldn't label it.

There's a certain company you enjoy a lot that I'd label evil a lot quicker than Google.

Why would Apple be more evil? They aren't acquiring companies that create military robots, attempting to put ads on your thermostat, or willingly stealing personal data from vehicles outside of personal residences. They also aren't responsible for creating the single most patent infringing OS in history.

If you can present me with anything concrete, I'd love to see it. I love surprises, truly.

While Google does do some shady stuff, I'd also like to point out that Google helps people a hell of a lot more than Apple. Whether it's their free services like Translate and Maps, or their cheap super high speed internet with Google Fiber. They do a lot more for consumers than Apple. Also, Apple is a HUGE patent troll as well. That on top of their ridiculous anti-flash stance, Apple does just as many anti-consumer things as Google without any of the positives that Google has.

I wouldn't consider either company truly great, but Google has done a lot more for the average person than Apple has. The only reason Google is doing more of this shady stuff is simply because they're a much bigger company and can afford the investment. If Apple could expand like Google, they would.

Also, I'm not sure how acquiring a company that creates military robots is exactly evil, unless you consider our armed forces to be evil....

EDIT: For clarification I don't think Apple is "more evil" than Google. I don't think either company is evil, just stating my views on the topic.

Plus tax evasion, abusing China's relaxed labor policies (though this is pretty widespread in the mobile industry, Apple was still dabbling in it), deliberate misinformation about product features and sales leading to varying impacts on the stock market and consequently heavy hounding individuals that leaked info about their products etc.

#26 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

While Google does do some shady stuff, I'd also like to point out that Google helps people a hell of a lot more than Apple. Whether it's their free services like Translate and Maps, or their cheap super high speed internet with Google Fiber. They do a lot more for consumers than Apple. Also, Apple is a HUGE patent troll as well. That on top of their ridiculous anti-flash stance, Apple does just as many anti-consumer things as Google without any of the positives that Google has.

I wouldn't consider either company truly great, but Google has done a lot more for the average person than Apple has. The only reason Google is doing more of this shady stuff is simply because they're a much bigger company and can afford the investment. If Apple could expand like Google, they would.

Also, I'm not sure how acquiring a company that creates military robots is exactly evil, unless you consider our armed forces to be evil....

EDIT: For clarification I don't think Apple is "more evil" than Google. I don't think either company is evil, just stating my views on the topic.

If Apple could afford it? Apple has more than twice as much the liquid assets as Google and Microsoft, and is cash rich enough to purchase every major android handset maker except for Samsung (which also makes things like washers and dryers and microwaves). Apple demolishes Google in assets and in quarterly and annual profits.

I am quite convinced that you sir have not a clue about what you speak.

#27 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

While Google does do some shady stuff, I'd also like to point out that Google helps people a hell of a lot more than Apple. Whether it's their free services like Translate and Maps, or their cheap super high speed internet with Google Fiber. They do a lot more for consumers than Apple. Also, Apple is a HUGE patent troll as well. That on top of their ridiculous anti-flash stance, Apple does just as many anti-consumer things as Google without any of the positives that Google has.

I wouldn't consider either company truly great, but Google has done a lot more for the average person than Apple has. The only reason Google is doing more of this shady stuff is simply because they're a much bigger company and can afford the investment. If Apple could expand like Google, they would.

Also, I'm not sure how acquiring a company that creates military robots is exactly evil, unless you consider our armed forces to be evil....

EDIT: For clarification I don't think Apple is "more evil" than Google. I don't think either company is evil, just stating my views on the topic.

If Apple could afford it? Apple has more than twice as much the liquid assets as Google and Microsoft, and is cash rich enough to purchase every major android handset maker except for Samsung (which also makes things like washers and dryers and microwaves). Apple demolishes Google in assets and in quarterly and annual profits.

I am quite convinced that you sir have not a clue about what you speak.

OK, you got me there. I'll admit when I'm wrong. They may not be as rich, but it's obvious that Google is much more ambitious than Apple and branches out to new things. However, you failed to address the main point of my post. You completely dodged my main point by just pointing out how I was wrong on one small thing. Google does a hell of a lot more positive things for consumers than Apple.

#28 Edited by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

OK, you got me there. I'll admit when I'm wrong. They may not be as rich, but it's obvious that Google is much more ambitious than Apple and branches out to new things. However, you failed to address the main point of my post. You completely dodged my main point by just pointing out how I was wrong on one small thing. Google does a hell of a lot more positive things for consumers than Apple.

Don't confuse ambition with Google's business practices. They throw as much spaghetti on the wall as they can in hopes that something will stick. I can't excuse their practices because Maps is freely available (as are most other mapping solutions) or because they're trying to undercut traditional internet providers by offering cheaper and faster internet.

I have displayed a number of worrisome activities by Google, all in the OP. You have not demonstrated one from Apple. If you can demonstrate one activity from Apple that is on par with the activities of Google, I'll gladly read it. Surprise me, don't give me opinions. Give me undeniable facts.

#29 Edited by foxhound_fox (90618 posts) -

They are a business in the business of making money. All of their products and services are opt-in.

No evil here.

#30 Edited by one_plum (6364 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

OK, you got me there. I'll admit when I'm wrong. They may not be as rich, but it's obvious that Google is much more ambitious than Apple and branches out to new things. However, you failed to address the main point of my post. You completely dodged my main point by just pointing out how I was wrong on one small thing. Google does a hell of a lot more positive things for consumers than Apple.

Don't confuse ambition with Google's business practices. They throw as much spaghetti on the wall as they can in hopes that something will stick. I can't excuse their practices because Maps is freely available (as are most other mapping solutions) or because they're trying to undercut traditional internet providers by offering cheaper and faster internet.

I have displayed a number of worrisome activities by Google, all in the OP. You have not demonstrated one from Apple. If you can demonstrate one activity from Apple that is on par with the activities of Google, I'll gladly read it. Surprise me, don't give me opinions. Give me undeniable facts.

I'm not fond of Google, but most major companies will do evil things to survive and grow, whether it's Apple or Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.

I hope Vimeo can continue to grow and perhaps give a slight challenge to the Youtube monopoly.

#31 Edited by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

OK, you got me there. I'll admit when I'm wrong. They may not be as rich, but it's obvious that Google is much more ambitious than Apple and branches out to new things. However, you failed to address the main point of my post. You completely dodged my main point by just pointing out how I was wrong on one small thing. Google does a hell of a lot more positive things for consumers than Apple.

Don't confuse ambition with Google's business practices. They throw as much spaghetti on the wall as they can in hopes that something will stick. I can't excuse their practices because Maps is freely available (as are most other mapping solutions) or because they're trying to undercut traditional internet providers by offering cheaper and faster internet.

I have displayed a number of worrisome activities by Google, all in the OP. You have not demonstrated one from Apple. If you can demonstrate one activity from Apple that is on par with the activities of Google, I'll gladly read it. Surprise me, don't give me opinions. Give me undeniable facts.

I'm not fond of Google, but most major companies will do evil things to survive and grow, whether it's Apple or Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.

I hope Vimeo can continue to grow and perhaps give a slight challenge to the Youtube monopoly.

Which one of those softballs qualifies as an evil practice?

#32 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@one_plum said:

I'm not fond of Google, but most major companies will do evil things to survive and grow, whether it's Apple or Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.

I hope Vimeo can continue to grow and perhaps give a slight challenge to the Youtube monopoly.

Which one of those softballs qualifies as an evil practice?

The ones that stand out the most?

Manufacturing practices in China: poor working conditions and child labour.
Aggressive patent lawsuits

#33 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@musicalmac said:

@one_plum said:

I'm not fond of Google, but most major companies will do evil things to survive and grow, whether it's Apple or Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Apple_Inc.

I hope Vimeo can continue to grow and perhaps give a slight challenge to the Youtube monopoly.

Which one of those softballs qualifies as an evil practice?

The ones that stand out the most?

Manufacturing practices in China: poor working conditions and child labour.

Aggressive patent lawsuits

Apple has launched multiple investigations into those labor practices, actually. They've addressed them head on without hesitation.

The patent lawsuits are only aggressive to people who don't understand them. They were more than justified in their actions which is why they've won time and time again across multiple courts in many different nations. If your view of the patent war was "Apple can't patent rounded corenrs," than conversing with me on the issue will likely be hopeless for you.

#34 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

OK, you got me there. I'll admit when I'm wrong. They may not be as rich, but it's obvious that Google is much more ambitious than Apple and branches out to new things. However, you failed to address the main point of my post. You completely dodged my main point by just pointing out how I was wrong on one small thing. Google does a hell of a lot more positive things for consumers than Apple.

Don't confuse ambition with Google's business practices. They throw as much spaghetti on the wall as they can in hopes that something will stick. I can't excuse their practices because Maps is freely available (as are most other mapping solutions) or because they're trying to undercut traditional internet providers by offering cheaper and faster internet.

I have displayed a number of worrisome activities by Google, all in the OP. You have not demonstrated one from Apple. If you can demonstrate one activity from Apple that is on par with the activities of Google, I'll gladly read it. Surprise me, don't give me opinions. Give me undeniable facts.

Please re-read my post. Nowhere did I EVER state that Apple is more, or even equally as "evil" as Google. You seem to think I did. As a matter of fact, my first post says I don't believe either company to be evil. I was simply pointing out that Google does a lot more good for consumers than Apple.

Also, I love how you said "undercut traditional internet providers" as if that's a bad thing somehow. The United States pays more money on average for some of the slowest internet speeds among developed nations. These "traditional providers" are screwing us over and everybody knows it. Google is trying to create some more competition to get these "traditional providers" to actually step up their speed and lower their prices. That alone is more than Apple has ever done for consumers. You seem to have this odd irrational hate for Google and it's hilarious.

Also, if you're going to list patent abuse as a negative for google you have to acknowledge that Apple is pretty much the poster child for patent abuse.

#35 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Please re-read my post. Nowhere did I EVER state that Apple is more, or even equally as "evil" as Google. You seem to think I did. As a matter of fact, my first post says I don't believe either company to be evil. I was simply pointing out that Google does a lot more good for consumers than Apple.

Also, I love how you said "undercut traditional internet providers" as if that's a bad thing somehow. The United States pays more money on average for some of the slowest internet speeds among developed nations. These "traditional providers" are screwing us over and everybody knows it. Google is trying to create some more competition to get these "traditional providers" to actually step up their speed and lower their prices. That alone is more than Apple has ever done for consumers. You seem to have this odd irrational hate for Google and it's hilarious.

Also, if you're going to list patent abuse as a negative for google you have to acknowledge that Apple is pretty much the poster child for patent abuse.

I'm rooting for Google to undercut companies like Comcast and Verizon. They both need to be dissolved.

Apple hasn't abused patents and didn't create the operating system responsible for more patent infringement suits than any other before it (that would be Google). If you think Apple is a patent abuse poster child, you have no idea what patent abuse is.

#36 Posted by magicalclick (23764 posts) -

@BranKetra:

MegaTube is not MS made or Google made. So it is not official app. Google deliberately block MS from making an app that basically does the same thing in other 3rd party apps.

#37 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Please re-read my post. Nowhere did I EVER state that Apple is more, or even equally as "evil" as Google. You seem to think I did. As a matter of fact, my first post says I don't believe either company to be evil. I was simply pointing out that Google does a lot more good for consumers than Apple.

Also, I love how you said "undercut traditional internet providers" as if that's a bad thing somehow. The United States pays more money on average for some of the slowest internet speeds among developed nations. These "traditional providers" are screwing us over and everybody knows it. Google is trying to create some more competition to get these "traditional providers" to actually step up their speed and lower their prices. That alone is more than Apple has ever done for consumers. You seem to have this odd irrational hate for Google and it's hilarious.

Also, if you're going to list patent abuse as a negative for google you have to acknowledge that Apple is pretty much the poster child for patent abuse.

I'm rooting for Google to undercut companies like Comcast and Verizon. They both need to be dissolved.

Apple hasn't abused patents and didn't create the operating system responsible for more patent infringement suits than any other before it (that would be Google). If you think Apple is a patent abuse poster child, you have no idea what patent abuse is.

Apple doesn't abuse patents? Are you kidding me? We're talking about the Apple that patented turning a page in an ebook. The Apple that patented the "rectangle with rounded corners" and tried to sue Samsung with it. If that's not abusing patents, then I don't know what is. Sure the patent system is broken and allows them such anti-competition patents, but Apple still gets some of the blame for doing it and suing others on the basis of extremely vague patents.

At this point I can't tell if you're just a troll, or a blind Apple fanboy.

#38 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74284 posts) -

@musicalmac: With the way they treat people on youtube it certainly looks like it. Gamers that show off gameplay lose money from that bs copyright claiming robot and there isn't even a person you can talk to about it

#39 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Apple doesn't abuse patents? Are you kidding me? We're talking about the Apple that patented turning a page in an ebook. The Apple that patented the "rectangle with rounded corners" and tried to sue Samsung with it. If that's not abusing patents, then I don't know what is. Sure the patent system is broken and allows them such anti-competition patents, but Apple still gets some of the blame for doing it and suing others on the basis of extremely vague patents.

At this point I can't tell if you're just a troll, or a blind Apple fanboy.

I already pegged anyone who was going to cite rectangles with rounded corners. Their patents weren't vague. I can't be charged with explaining it all to you.

#40 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Apple doesn't abuse patents? Are you kidding me? We're talking about the Apple that patented turning a page in an ebook. The Apple that patented the "rectangle with rounded corners" and tried to sue Samsung with it. If that's not abusing patents, then I don't know what is. Sure the patent system is broken and allows them such anti-competition patents, but Apple still gets some of the blame for doing it and suing others on the basis of extremely vague patents.

At this point I can't tell if you're just a troll, or a blind Apple fanboy.

I already pegged anyone who was going to cite rectangles with rounded corners. Their patents weren't vague. I can't be charged with explaining it all to you.

That's awfully convenient. "You're wrong, but I won't say why" Why even reply if you're just going to make such a useless statement?

Also, if the patent wasn't vague and abusive, why did it not stand up in court?

I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with an Apple fanboy. Boring day I guess. :P

#41 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@musicalmac: With the way they treat people on youtube it certainly looks like it. Gamers that show off gameplay lose money from that bs copyright claiming robot and there isn't even a person you can talk to about it

You do realize that Google doesn't initiate those copyright take downs, right? If a company claims copyright infringement (like Nintendo has done recently), Google legally has to take down your video (or remove the copyrighted stuff) until it's settled. Why would Google care about someone else's copyright? They're forced to. Don't get mad at Google for that, get mad at the companies claimimg copyright infringement.

#42 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

That's awfully convenient. "You're wrong, but I won't say why" Why even reply if you're just going to make such a useless statement?

Also, if the patent wasn't vague and abusive, why did it not stand up in court?

I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with an Apple fanboy. Boring day I guess. :P

Contrary to popular belief you are not entitled to any reply. It suffices to say you're not well versed in the trials that have been taking place all over the world, trials in which Apple has been awarded hundreds of millions of dollars, product injunctions against infringing devices, and a host of other legal actions.

I understand your desire to put me into a "fanboy" box. It's easier to casually dismiss me than it is to do the work.

#43 Posted by wis3boi (31957 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

It's easier to casually dismiss me than it is to do the work.

boy the irony is thick today

#44 Posted by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@musicalmac said:

It's easier to casually dismiss me than it is to do the work.

boy the irony is thick today

What's ironic about that?

#45 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4329 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

That's awfully convenient. "You're wrong, but I won't say why" Why even reply if you're just going to make such a useless statement?

Also, if the patent wasn't vague and abusive, why did it not stand up in court?

I don't even know why I'm bothering to argue with an Apple fanboy. Boring day I guess. :P

Contrary to popular belief you are not entitled to any reply. It suffices to say you're not well versed in the trials that have been taking place all over the world, trials in which Apple has been awarded hundreds of millions of dollars, product injunctions against infringing devices, and a host of other legal actions.

I understand your desire to put me into a "fanboy" box. It's easier to casually dismiss me than it is to do the work.

You're right, I'm not entitled to a reply, I just assumed that you were going to keep the discussion going, apparently I was wrong. You're also right on something else, it is easy to dismiss you as your last 2 post have brought nothing to the discussion other than "I'm right, you're wrong." Which isn't an argument at all. Every article I read claims the same thing, Apple is abusing patents, you put forth literally no evidence other wise, so I'm dismissing your claims. Please note that I am not claiming that Google or Samsung don't also abuse the patent system, they certainly do as well, but your claim that Apple doesn't is absurd.

Apple is the poster child for patent system abuse simply for the "rectangle with rounded edges patent." It was such an absurd patent that it became the face of everything that is wrong with the patent system.

#46 Posted by BranKetra (49619 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

@BranKetra:

MegaTube is not MS made or Google made. So it is not official app. Google deliberately block MS from making an app that basically does the same thing in other 3rd party apps.

Okay then it was obviously a workaround since it came with my PC.

#47 Edited by musicalmac (23547 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

You're right, I'm not entitled to a reply, I just assumed that you were going to keep the discussion going, apparently I was wrong. You're also right on something else, it is easy to dismiss you as your last 2 post have brought nothing to the discussion other than "I'm right, you're wrong." Which isn't an argument at all. Every article I read claims the same thing, Apple is abusing patents, you put forth literally no evidence other wise, so I'm dismissing your claims. Please note that I am not claiming that Google or Samsung don't also abuse the patent system, they certainly do as well, but your claim that Apple doesn't is absurd.

Apple is the poster child for patent system abuse simply for the "rectangle with rounded edges patent." It was such an absurd patent that it became the face of everything that is wrong with the patent system.

I can't possibly explain the intricate nature of the patent dispute on the forum like this. You have to do your own legwork or keep looking foolish. The idea that the only articles you can find are ones about Apple's abuse of the patent system is also literally laughable.

The ball is firmly in your court.

#48 Posted by JohnF111 (14107 posts) -

Another musicalmac thread, must be praising Apple or dissing Google... Or do I need to read it in case its something different this time?