Is Everything We See Even Really There???

#1 Posted by Xeno_ghost (683 posts) -

Each human being sees a solid world in front of him/her. Solid walls with solid doors and windows made with solid glass, yet modern physics shows that not a single particle of matter exist. Even the elementary particles like quarks are posited to be vibrating strings of energy around one trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a metre in length and the space between these things is, in relative term, vast. So all we see is configurations of energy in empty space conspiring to make us and give us experiences.

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13102 posts) -

You'll find quantum superposition intriguing, I think. I made a thread on it just the other day.

#3 Posted by Treflis (11575 posts) -

Well I suppose you could run towards a wall and test your theory of the wall not being there despite you seeing it.

#4 Posted by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

@Treflis said:

Well I suppose you could run towards a wall and test your theory of the wall not being there despite you seeing it.

#5 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

What if we are in a computer program and we are no different than the AI in video games? DUN DUN DUN!!!!1!

#6 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Useless over-thinking.

#7 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

So...will this theory help me pass my exam next week? Be quick about answering.

#8 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (587 posts) -

This isn't a lead-in to Plato's forms is it?

#9 Posted by heguain (669 posts) -

F**k Physics. :)

#10 Posted by LexLas (4278 posts) -

Just like the movie "LUCY" .. All is in your mind. You can do anything, nothing is real. Since were gamers, just imagine going into " God Mode " .. we are capable of all you can imagine

#11 Posted by SUD123456 (4488 posts) -

@Treflis said:

Post of the day, for sure.

#12 Posted by foxhound_fox (88791 posts) -

Buddhism's very existence is based on this epistemological problem.

#13 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -

I think youre asking for a pinchin

#14 Edited by British_Azimio (2452 posts) -

Universe is a hologram, bro. Also, on my Must-Read list: I Am That -

http://www.anandavala.info/miscl/I_Am_That.pdf

#15 Edited by xdude85 (4431 posts) -

-

#16 Edited by Xeno_ghost (683 posts) -

@Treflis: "Well I suppose you could run towards a wall and test your theory of the wall not being there despite you seeing it"

Lol good one! Very clever and witty :/ on a serious note pain is just a sensory perception which is triggered by signals to the brain.

Ever had a dream that felt so real that you were disappointed that it wasn't "real" when you woke up? Even a sexual (wet)dream proves that something doesn't have to be physically "real" for it to have a actual visual sensory effect on the body. What is "real" is what ever our brain perceives as "real".

#17 Edited by thereal25 (458 posts) -

@CyberLips said:

What if we are in a computer program and we are no different than the AI in video games? DUN DUN DUN!!!!1!

That might actually be closer to the truth than you think.

#18 Posted by alim298 (1469 posts) -

That's why I believe that reality or to use a better word "truth" can not be "seen" or "felt" or "understood." It only..."is." The moment you try to "define" it is the moment you alter it into something else.