Is Ad-Block a bad thing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Lots of people that make a living off the internet HATE Ad-block. To the point where some websites have had to purse new business models (Such as Giant Bomb and IMbD having a Premium memberships)

What are your thoughts internet? Thoughts on Ad-block and the effect it has on many websites.

leave your thoughts below.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It's awesome for us internet browsers because it blocks pop ups and ads that sometimes take an entire page and made the close button really hard to see. I also no longer get those ads that are basically invisible that have audio. No one likes when you have music on and start hearing people talk about Geico or a car and can't see where it is coming from. If they became smarter about their ads then we wouldn't have to use Ad-Block. Ads on the side of a website where they don't interfere is awesome, ads that pop up in the middle of the screen, block links, or have audio that can't be shut off is for assholes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Adblock is god.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Ads aren't just an eyesore, they can be hijacked to install viruses on your computer. Adblock is just another part of the line of defense against such. Besides that, many of them will actively track you and grab your browser history.

Until the above is solved, I'm not even going to consider surfing the net without it.

Some (thought not most) advertising companies allow you to opt-out of behavioral tracking. Click here for an example of such. And remember, as many cookies as that may find, these are just the nice guys who allow you to opt-out, there are far, far more who don't.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

it depends on whether or not you're trying to benefit from the ads. personally it pisses me off that so much of the internet is dominated by advertising so i'm a big fan of it.

it'll be really cool if/when something like a future google glass has an adblock application that will block advertisements in real life.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Ads are a bad thing, and I would be content if all people related to advertisement would die the most painful, grisly death imaginable.

I will actively avoid products that I see ads for because **** YOU.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
it'll be really cool if/when something like a future google glass has an adblock application that will block advertisements in real life.

YES!

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I come to the net to do my thing, not to be bombarded with ads all day. I couldn't care less that companies are out to make money. I love Ad-Block.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I watch internet content to get away from ads. Honestly boo hoo for those youtubers who make a living off of ads. I get up 5am for work 5 days a week. Most of those youtube partners just sit in front of a camera doing stupid shit.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

nope... webpages shouldnt drown their consummers in ads.

if companies was littke more smarter about doing ads I wouldnt mind removing adblock

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

i love going to youtube and not having to watch those stupid 15-30 second ads on every video.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@helwa1988 said:

I watch internet content to get away from ads. Honestly boo hoo for those youtubers who make a living off of ads. I get up 5am for work 5 days a week. Most of those youtube partners just sit in front of a camera doing stupid shit.

You don't get paid enough to quiet your day job.

It's a few pennies per click on advert.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

If websites weren't littered with invasive, in your face ads, then there would be no need for ad block.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Adblock is amazing.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

While I do understand those that rely on ads to earn money on the videos they make, I'd rather not have four ads pop up on screen when I go onto a website or sit and wait for a 30 second long ad I've seen a gazillion times on youtube to end so I can actually see the video I clicked on.

Having the ads on the side of a site was okay as far as I was concerned, having them be as intrusive as they are now, Well I'm gonna block em then.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Adblock is god.

This. Especially for YouTube. I fucking despise YouTube ads as if they were Nazis.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I am very much ok with ads

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
@Master_Live said:

Adblock is god.

This.

I literally want to kill my self when I have to use a computer without adblock. I generally try not to use them or if it has google chrome already install to it, i quickly go to download the adblocker 9even tho is school computers it gets rest after im done using it).

I havent seen ads on my computers in 3 years. I recently used a computer that didnt have it and shit was insane how outrageous ads have become.

I dont give a **** about people who make money off of ads, **** that.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

The sites brought it upon themselves when they started putting annoying ads on everything and delaying videos/pages from loading because if it.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

No. It is a great thing. Don't surf the web without it.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Internet advertisements have viruses that would download without you knowing and self install or they will force take you to another website that you dont want. I had a few viruses infect my PC or was taken to a phishing website which was nearly impossible to close. Ad-block make the internet safe from viruses. There are some viruses that can be installed on your PC to record your keystrokes so people could steal your accounts and password information.

I am sorry for websites that don't like ad-block. If websites were to guarantee they are 100% safe without fearing someone would take my personal information or try to cheat me out of my money, then we wouldn't need to have ad block on our browsers.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

you can disable adblock on a per site basis if you want to support the developers

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Having to replace bad/obsolete/annoying business models seems like a good thing to me.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Wouldn't visit gamespot (or damn near any other website) without it! :D

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Those ads fund websites. If enough people use ad block, you will start paying more often for stuff on the internet (or get lower quality websites).