iPod Touch; 16gig vs. 32gig

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hippiegamergirl
hippiegamergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hippiegamergirl
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

I'm trying to decide which is more worth it for me; the 16gig or the 32gig iTouch.

I don't think I'll be putting in any full length movies unless I'm going on a roadtrip. But then I would remove them afterwards. If I do want to put in a movie however, I don't want to have to delete a bunch of stuff t make room for it. I will probably have some videos.

I have a lot of music, as far as how much exactly I don't know. I'm going to have to make a playlist when I get home to see roughly how much music I'll put in it. If I were to guess... maybe between 1500-2000 songs? Maybe more?

I plan on being an app junky. How big are apps?

I probably won't be storing any pics.

I wan't to have the space so that I don't have to choose which songs or albums I have to remove in order to make room for new ones. Thats the situation with my first gen Mini. I am constantly having to delete stuff to put more stuff in. I want to avoid that.

Does anyone have one of these pieces of technology? What do you think?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49592 Posts

How about neither? iPods are so overrated. :P

(I'd go for the 16Gb because it's cheaper)

Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts
Trust me the 32 gigabyte ipod touch is worth the money in the long run. Also apps wont take up to much space (except for the game take about 1-3 gb) Also movies only take up to 2.5 gbs and those are the lenghty movies.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
16GB sounds like it'd be more than fine for you really. But hey, if you've got the extra $100 lying around burning a hole in your pocket, you can never have TOO MUCH space. :)
DoctorBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 DoctorBedlam
Member since 2008 • 704 Posts

Personally, I'm going to get the 32gb when I get the chance. It may seem like overkill, but when I stop and think about it-is there ever going to be a time where I'm not wanting more and more music?

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
I'm going to withhold my answer until you tell me how many gigs your music folder is.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts
32... 16 isn't enough.. I have about 2000 songs and had 6 hours of movie on it and barely have any space left.
Mage_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Mage_7
Member since 2007 • 1065 Posts

I'm going to withhold my answer until you tell me how many gigs your music folder is.the_foreign_guy

It should only be around 4-6 gb

hippiegamergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hippiegamergirl

Personally, I'm going to get the 32gb when I get the chance. It may seem like overkill, but when I stop and think about it-is there ever going to be a time where I'm not wanting more and more music?

DoctorBedlam
This is true. Good point.
Mehdi1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mehdi1984
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts
It's easy enough to sync the iphone... which is why 8 gigs is all I want for movies and music. Any more is a waste of money imo.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
Zune 120 gb. It gets games, videos, radio, and it doesn't have one of those smudgy "Tap and pray" touch screens.

Oh, and it's $250. much more bang for your buck.
Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts
16 Gb should be enough, I have a little over 600 songs which is about 4 Gb. Movies are usually around 1 Gb in size, probably less if its converted right. Apps are not that big in size, also you can only hold 3 screens worth of apps at a time anyway.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Apps are so tiny that they're barely worth considering when it comes to size.

I've got 2300 songs, maybe six or seven hours of TV and movies (some of it low res which I encoded for the iPod Classic years ago), dozens of apps, and three episodes of eight or nine audio and video podcasts (including the 300MB+ episodes of the 1up Show) and I have 9GB free on my 32GB Touch.

Also consider that you'll only have about 15GB on a 16GB unit, since companies still lie about sizes. The 32GB really only has 30GB of space.

The 32 will likely hold its value better too, if you decide to sell it next year when they release the next iteration of the Touch.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJ_Lae
16 Gb should be enough, I have a little over 600 songs which is about 4 Gb. Movies are usually around 1 Gb in size, probably less if its converted right. Apps are not that big in size, also you can only hold 3 screens worth of apps at a time anyway.Jack-o-Thompson
I haven't seen a limit on the number of screens of applications you can have yet. I've had up to five, but I'm back down to three now as I deleted all the crappy ones.
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jack-o-Thompson
[QUOTE="Jack-o-Thompson"]16 Gb should be enough, I have a little over 600 songs which is about 4 Gb. Movies are usually around 1 Gb in size, probably less if its converted right. Apps are not that big in size, also you can only hold 3 screens worth of apps at a time anyway.DJ_Lae
I haven't seen a limit on the number of screens of applications you can have yet. I've had up to five, but I'm back down to three now as I deleted all the crappy ones.

Oh wow 5 screens? did you jailbreak it?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DJ_Lae
Oh wow 5 screens? did you jailbreak it?Jack-o-Thompson
Nah, I just kept adding applications and didn't even think about a potential limit. Is it supposed to give you an error or something? I was adding them all directly from the Touch app store, though, not copying them from iTunes, dunno if there's a limit that way.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="Jack-o-Thompson"]Oh wow 5 screens? did you jailbreak it?DJ_Lae
Nah, I just kept adding applications and didn't even think about a potential limit. Is it supposed to give you an error or something? I was adding them all directly from the Touch app store, though, not copying them from iTunes, dunno if there's a limit that way.

I haven't heard about a limit either :?
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jack-o-Thompson
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="Jack-o-Thompson"]Oh wow 5 screens? did you jailbreak it?horgen123

I think mines broken or something because it won't go more than 3 screens >_>
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] Nah, I just kept adding applications and didn't even think about a potential limit. Is it supposed to give you an error or something? I was adding them all directly from the Touch app store, though, not copying them from iTunes, dunno if there's a limit that way.Jack-o-Thompson

I think mines broken or something because it won't go more than 3 screens >_>

Restore it perhaps... And TC - has this thread helped you?
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
Neither sizes are big enough really.
hippiegamergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hippiegamergirl
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Yyyea, thats what i'm thinking. I'm just reluctant to spend the extra $100.
16GB sounds like it'd be more than fine for you really. But hey, if you've got the extra $100 lying around burning a hole in your pocket, you can never have TOO MUCH space. :)septemberluc
I do have that extra $100... its spending it that troubles me... haha.
32... 16 isn't enough.. I have about 2000 songs and had 6 hours of movie on it and barely have any space left.horgen123
hmmm, well I probably won't have as many hours of movies on mine.. [QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]

I've got 2300 songs, maybe six or seven hours of TV and movies (some of it low res which I encoded for the iPod Classic years ago), dozens of apps, and three episodes of eight or nine audio and video podcasts (including the 300MB+ episodes of the 1up Show) and I have 9GB free on my 32GB Touch.

Also consider that you'll only have about 15GB on a 16GB unit, since companies still lie about sizes. The 32GB really only has 30GB of space.

The 32 will likely hold its value better too, if you decide to sell it next year when they release the next iteration of the Touch.

All very good points.. yyyea, I think I'm leaning towards the 32gig. I'll just have to wait for my next paycheck ^_^ Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
[QUOTE="hippiegamergirl"] yyyea, I think I'm leaning towards the 32gig. I'll just have to wait for my next paycheck ^_^ Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Why get 32, if you could have 120 for cheaper? :?
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
i just bought the 32 gb touch. the apps are small. unless you plan on watching lots of movies and have tons of music, 16 GB is fine. i had to get the 32 gb one because i have 25 gb of music alone.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
[QUOTE="hippiegamergirl"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Yyyea, thats what i'm thinking. I'm just reluctant to spend the extra $100. [QUOTE="septemberluc"] I do have that extra $100... its spending it that troubles me... haha.
32... 16 isn't enough.. I have about 2000 songs and had 6 hours of movie on it and barely have any space left.horgen123
hmmm, well I probably won't have as many hours of movies on mine.. [QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]

All very good points.. yyyea, I think I'm leaning towards the 32gig. I'll just have to wait for my next paycheck ^_^ Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Think of it this way. It's a piece of tech that you will use for years. It only takes about 1 more paycheck to get something with twice as much space. I bought the 32 gb off ebay. It's new, still in the factory package. It was $350, free shipping, and no sales tax. Consider that...
hippiegamergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hippiegamergirl
Think of it this way. It's a piece of tech that you will use for years. It only takes about 1 more paycheck to get something with twice as much space. I bought the 32 gb off ebay. It's new, still in the factory package. It was $350, free shipping, and no sales tax. Consider that...lilburtonboy748
Wow, really? I don't usually have that kind of luck on ebay. I'll definitely give it a browse before I head over to the apple store though :) Thanks!
Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
I'd go with 32. Always good to have more space.
fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

Zune 120 gb. It gets games, videos, radio, and it doesn't have one of those smudgy "Tap and pray" touch screens.

Oh, and it's $250. much more bang for your buck.jaydough

Wuts dat? No advanced wi-fi internet browser, so you can just watch videos without dling them? No thanks, you can keep the zune with too much space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
[QUOTE="jaydough"]Zune 120 gb. It gets games, videos, radio, and it doesn't have one of those smudgy "Tap and pray" touch screens.

Oh, and it's $250. much more bang for your buck.fatzebra
Wuts dat? No advanced wi-fi internet browser, so you can just watch videos without dling them? No thanks, you can keep the zune with too much space.

I'm sorry, mr. impatient, with your unnessesary web browser that gets blurry due to you touching it while eating. Oh, it's scratched? I wonder why.
Oh, and I definiteley want to pay an extra $200 for something I'm not going to use with 88 gb less space.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="fatzebra"][QUOTE="jaydough"]Zune 120 gb. It gets games, videos, radio, and it doesn't have one of those smudgy "Tap and pray" touch screens.

Oh, and it's $250. much more bang for your buck.jaydough

I'm sorry, mr. impatient, with your unnessesary web browser that gets blurry due to you touching it while eating. Oh, it's scratched? I wonder why.
Oh, and I definiteley want to pay an extra $200 for something I'm not going to use with 88 gb less space.

the web browser works okey... Only bummer is that it is no flash :x Blurry screen isn't a noticeable problem(not for me atleast) and scratches... Well I had mine for a year now and don't use any screen protector or anything else my screen is fine, no scratches at all. (don't ask about the shiny backside though >_> ) The bigger problem is the screen resolution which should have been way higher. The different GB space is a bummer too.. I want more space on mine (16GB) but I am not buying another one before this one stops working and the warranty is expired. Also I am no Apple fanboy...