iPhone or Android ?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by avtria100 (45 posts) -

Which one You Prefer Mostly ?

I hate Android due to Speed Issues & mostly phones of Android Stuck. Apple is smooth in Running. What you Guys say?

#2 Posted by ferrari2001 (17008 posts) -

This isn't a troll topic at all.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (30489 posts) -

This is going to end well

#4 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

Hello there. Why don't you use the mobile board for opinions?

Personally i see it like this.

You want to personalise your phone and customise it? Go Android

You want a smooth and powerful platform with great dev support Go iOS.

You want Nokia go Windows... i don't see any other reason to go Windows Mobile yet.

#5 Edited by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

You want Nokia go Windows... i don't see any other reason to go microsoft yet.

why don't i just get a high end nexus device then?

#6 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@mystic_knight said:

You highlighted one part of the equation LOL. I did say 'with' not 'and' or 'or'.

#7 Edited by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

@lostrib said:

@mystic_knight said:

You highlighted one part of the equation LOL. I did say 'with' not 'and' or 'or'.

Just about every popular app is on both platforms

#8 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

Yeah but some of the greatest titles are not on android yet. Popular isn't always the best.

Do you play candy crush or angry birds i certainly don't.

But games like infinity blade and X-Com would be darn nice to play

#9 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

Yeah but some of the greatest titles are not on android yet. Popular isn't always the best.

Do you play candy crush or angry birds i certainly don't.

But games like infinity blade and X-Com would be darn nice to play

Point is that android has all the things you listed under iphone

#10 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

IMO Android has good dev support. Not great dev support.

Trust me i wish it wasn't the case. Im an Android person myself, but the fact remains, if you want to experience the best in mobile you will need to go iOS.

If i want to give a person recommendations, i'm not going to blindly support one platform. I tell them the pro's of each one and let them make the decision.

Which leads me to another point. The screen of a device is also a game changer for many. Some such as myself find the iPhone keyboard way too narrow and small. hence why I own a HTC One. Ideally a 4.3 to 4.7" device fits my needs perfectly and accommodates for my slightly larger fingers. I make far less typos on my HTC than i do with an iPhone 5s.

#11 Edited by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

@mystic_knight said:

Exactly this

#12 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4171 posts) -

iPhone. Android has way too many devices holding it back.

#13 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Both are good. I don't know why the majority of smartphone owners have high end devices though. You can save about $1000 a year if you cheap out on your phone.

#14 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151511 posts) -

Android of course.....

#15 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@cain006 said:

Both are good. I don't know why the majority of smartphone owners have high end devices though. You can save about $1000 a year if you cheap out on your phone.

how does the expense of the phone relate to savings per year, which I assume relates to prepaid planes?

#16 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

The GS4 and HTC ONE are the best phones on the market right now, thus making Android the objectively better platform.

#17 Posted by rgsniper1 (9350 posts) -

Since I only use less than 20 apps I prefer Windows Phone. I know that wasn't the question but I prefer option 3.

#18 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I use my phone predominantly for business. One thing I haven't been able to figure out on Android (HTC One XL) is a way to get calendar notifications to popup properly. Say I have an appointment at 11am with a 15 minute reminder. I set it up on my PC which connects to an Exchange Server.

My iPhone 4 will display that as an alert with a popup at 10:45.

My HTC One XL will display that as an alert as long as there's room on the notification screen/area and doesn't pop up 15 minutes prior.

My Lumia 925 will display that as an alert with a popup at 10:45.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having an alert if you ask me.

Aside from that I like the way my Lumia integrates with my Windows 8 PC/Laptop/Surface Pro and Xbox 360. Being able to share data, achievements and games across the three types is awesomesauce

@rgsniper1 said:

Since I only use less than 20 apps I prefer Windows Phone. I know that wasn't the question but I prefer option 3.

Holy crap... someone else uses a Windows Phone? I thought it was just me :)

#19 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1295 posts) -

#20 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4171 posts) -

@4myAmuzumament:

And yet you have all those shit phones that people buy from Metro PCS, Boost, Walmart, Kroger, etc holding your phone back. Hell. Over 50% of the Android userbase is still on gingerbread. The nice thing about the iPhone is, there are only a few specs, everybody is on the same OS and the vast majority are using the 4S or higher. Because of this, apps can be developed and optimized a lot better.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (88794 posts) -

It all depends on what you want in a phone.

iPhone is extremely limited in terms of customization and the user-oriented experience. It has a lot of apps, but you have to sift through a lot of chaff to find really good ones (Android is suffering this problem now as well due to it's increased popularity). Technical specifications are modest, while software has some advantages.

Many Android platforms are top-tier in their class for power and software. User-oriented experience and customizability are central to the experience, making it harder to pick up and learn, but more can get done in the end.

Windows phone seems to bridge the gap between Apple's restrictions and Android's customizability. Giving the user a more bare-bones experience than Android, but without the short-falls of Apple's restrictive platform.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Windows for my new phone, notably the Nokia Lumia 1020, but the Galaxy Note 3 and S4 are very close behind. And if I can get the Lumia 1520 and can tolerate a 6" screen, then that'll definitely be my platform of choice.

#22 Edited by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It all depends on what you want in a phone.

That is such a key component to answering the question and, usually, the first thing I ask when people ask me for advice (I'm an IT Manager which means I know about phones, calculators, photocopiers, how to program their VCRs... :S)

I'd disagree to an extent regarding the WM8 phone. I find it just as restrictive as the iPhone but with small developer/development support and a very sub par app library. Kind of like a "worst of both worlds" type phone but with some exceptional exclusive features if you're linking it with other MS devices (W8 tablet, W8 PC or X360).

#23 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

Android

#24 Edited by Netret0120 (2212 posts) -

Android. I love customising my phone to suit my needs.

You can look at 5 Galaxy s4's and each one will be drastically different. Iphone has more support but the crucial apps are on both so no biggie

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (7633 posts) -

Having tried both, I can see the appeal of the Android but I much prefer iOS. I don't really care about customization. I don't want to bother with all that shit. My phone is simply utility, so I want an OS that feels unified and constant. iPhone just brings everything together so eloquently and gives me the App Store and iTunes which work great and everything feels very integrated. Android, while I got the impression has more freedom, feels a bit fractured. I'm the general dumb consumer that doesn't want to think. Just give me some goddamn functionality and user-friendliness. I could learn Android but don't care to.

The ONLY thing that makes me want an Android at this point is the screen size. They blow Apple's out of the water. I'm hearing rumors everywhere that iPhone 6 will be out Q2 of next year with a 5" display so I can hold out.

#26 Posted by ad1x2 (5683 posts) -

I prefer Android because it isn't as restrictive. I just bought a 5c for my wife and it seems odd that there is no way to update iCloud or download large apps over 4G without jailbreaking it. I still have unlimited data through Verizon, so why should I be denied the option to use it? Ironically, my home internet has a 300GB monthly limit, which we can easily blow through watching Netflix and Hulu. No point in adding to it with my mobile devices which aren't limited. I will give it to Apple for making the phone easy to use, though.

#27 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2755 posts) -

none.

I don't even have a cell phone.

#28 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

As far as I know, android has more emulators and free apps, so it wins.

#29 Edited by Diablo-B (4049 posts) -

Android is easier to hack for emulators and such. But the main thing I do on my phone is browse the internet. Browsing the web is faster on the iPhone at least for now based on my own test runs and from what I've read. Of course the mobile world updates so fast that can always change.

#30 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@Diablo-B said:

Android is easier to hack for emulators and such. But the main thing I do on my phone is browse the internet. Browsing the web is faster on the iPhone at least for now based on my own test runs and from what I've read. Of course the mobile world updates so fast that can always change.

it depends on the site. Safari on iphone doesn't load the whole page at once so if you try to scroll quickly it will lag

#31 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Android is the better operating system.

#32 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23845 posts) -

iPhone for me.

#33 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I only went with android because back in like 08 it allowed you to move your icons, and the idea of customizing my phone was cool - plus no proprietary chargers.

Personally they seem pretty spot on; I do prefer apple's music interface.

#34 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

iPhone is for the technologically impaired.

#35 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I like Android because I like to do things my own way.

I can't do that on an iPhone. If you don't like something on an iPhone, too bad, you're stuck with it. Not the case with Android. I also find it really laughable that a lot of features on Android just came to iOS with the last release. It shouldn't have taken that long. iOS might be super polished and smooth, but I'd rather take functionality with a slight reduction in polish over an heavily polished OS that lacks functionality.

#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (88794 posts) -

@Diablo-B said:

I take it you haven't used any newer Android devices. Most with dual-cores have very little trouble loading pages quickly. Apparently the Galaxy Note 3 is a beast in this regard. You can actually split the screen into sections (halves I think) and use two programs at once (i.e. internet and spreadsheets).

#37 Posted by MirkoS77 (7633 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

iPhone is for the technologically impaired.

Or the lazy.

#38 Edited by Revixe06 (1021 posts) -

Both have their pros and cons. Its really a matter of preference. To answer the question though, I prefer iPhones.

#39 Edited by diskfaktory209 (10 posts) -

im using iphone right now and i like it very much!! so iphone for me :)

-diskfaktory

#40 Edited by Diablo-B (4049 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: My close friend has the galaxy note II with the quad core. Same carrier. I found that most apps that require an internet connection loads quicker on my phone.

Everything else runs about the same

#41 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

iPhone

#42 Posted by helwa1988 (2105 posts) -

i like customization. i have a galaxy s4. i had an iPhone 5 for literally 2 weeks. got rid it of out because i felt like i was in this box and couldn't do anything i wanted.

#43 Posted by DanishSnow (88 posts) -

IPhone.

#44 Edited by MarioFan264 (780 posts) -

I'm not getting into this silly argument, but I will say that I'm fine as can be with my iPhone.

#45 Posted by chaplainDMK (6842 posts) -

Android, iOS is just too restrictive for me. Hell, even if it was just more up to date and did away with the icon wall design I would be happy.

#46 Posted by megagene (23016 posts) -

Android for me. Gotta have dem widgets.

#47 Edited by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

i've always looked at it this way. android is for people who know how to operate a smart phone and iphones are for people who don't know how to operate a smart phone. the same goes for computers. If you want to customize your phone, get emulators and all kinds of cool stuff go android. If you want just basic apps and simple interface, go iphone. I prefer android. however my next phone may be iphone just because they are dirt cheap.

#48 Posted by PhilipEskov67 (8 posts) -

It depends what you expect from your phone. An IPhone as I see, is for people who are new to smart phones and want more of an easy to handle, more powerful phone. Android phones, on the other hand, are for people who want a more customizible, more of an advanced phone. I personally go with the iPhone, as I'm not so good with phones as I'm with a PC. But that's just me, of course :)

#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (88794 posts) -

Windows Phone over both. I'm going with the Lumia 1020 in January, and saying goodbye to Google.

#50 Edited by psx_warrior (1556 posts) -

@foxhound_fox:

Agreed. I bought a Lumia 521 with no contract with T-Mobile to try the phone out for a month. I've had a Note 2 since February. I can safely say now that I wished I had gone with a Lumia 920 with US Cellular because I can do stuff on it I never could with the Note 2. Heck, taking notes on the 521 is so much easier than on the Note 2! The puny windows phone beats the mighty Note 2 at its own game! One note lets me take a note and simply pin it to the start screen. It even lets me make a check list by each individual line if I want. I can't tell you the hoops I have to go through on the Note 2 just to take a note and save it. Then pull that same note back up. The S pin is overrated. It's so much easier to manage contacts through wp8 as well. You can group different contacts up and pin that group to the start screen and see only what they are posting to different social networks. It's just so much better than Android will ever be. I'm leaving Android behind for the Windows Phone.

Forgive the wordiness of my post here. It's late where I'm at so I'm about to fall asleep.