Intideppressants...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Evdne971 (245 posts) -

Long story short, went through a really tough time dealing with a job that put unbelievable amount of stress on me.

And my parents (but things are good now)

It all fucked me up...really bad(anxiety)

Went to counseling, helped A LOT

Then developed symptoms, loss of balence, a lot of fatigue and more.. My doctor came to the conclusion that I was dealing with anxiety and depression, so I manned up, more counseling, more confidence, more good stuff, and half of my symptoms were gone.

I asked the Doc. why all my sysmptoms weren't gone.

He clarified that depression is a lack of serotonin, and I was dealing primarily with anxiety, so I was okay, but I was using too much too fast and prescribed me fluoxitine, which I didn't know was an AD

Otherwise I would've said NO.

So here's the thing, the Doc, wants to use it to treat and level my anxiety while I go to counseling an all.

But is it really worth taking? (10mg or something) I know I could use this to maybe excel in even more confidence and clear head for counseling, and let my head heal, but is it really gonna heal or do long term damage?

I'm really against medicine but I just need opinions or experiences.

#2 Posted by byof_america (1386 posts) -

I have no advice. Never took an AD or been clinically depressed. Just wanted to know, because I am ignorant, what an intideppressant is?

Sorry for not having any advice, mostly the title drew me in.

#3 Edited by ferrari2001 (17002 posts) -

So your doctor recommends you take something and you come to gamespot asking us if you should listen to your doctor.

#4 Edited by toast_burner (21764 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

So your doctor recommends you take something and you come to gamespot asking us if you should listen to your doctor.

Doctors aren't always correct. But neither are forum users.

I don't think anyone can answer that question apart from yourself, op.

#5 Posted by Evdne971 (245 posts) -

I don't really trust doctors from anything other than their ability to diagnose.

You should also know this from the fact that Big Pharmecudicales aren't out to give what people need.

I just wanted an opinion to see if there might be something I havnt concididered.

#6 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15042 posts) -

If counseling is helping you "a lot" why not just stick with that? I would avoid the pills unless you really need it.

#7 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Jennifer Lawrence is so cute and hot.

#8 Posted by Evdne971 (245 posts) -

And to BYOF

Antidepressants are to treat... well deppression.

There is a chemical that is produced in your brain called serotonin, which is in charge of a few emotions, along with body temperature regulation (keeping you from getting too hot

There are other very complicated depressions, if you will.

This particular antidepressant I am taking stimulates these neurons to produce the correct amount of serotonin.

There are other intidperessants but they do other, more complicated things.

#9 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

If your worried then see another doc and read up on natural cures. Personally I am against drugs as they have many side effect and are treatments not cures.Live a healthy lifestyle. Eat right , exercise your mind and body. Also surround yourself with positive people. I also think a good spiritual life is a strong defense for most mental problems and balances you emotionally.

I wish you all the best and hope you feel better good luck.

#10 Edited by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -

If you doubt your doctor, then go to a different one for a second opinion.

#11 Edited by ferrari2001 (17002 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Jennifer Lawrence is so cute and hot.

Not to mention awesome. Best press question and answers ever.

#12 Edited by playmynutz (6068 posts) -

Believe in yourself the individual soul within the body brings light. Honestly, everyones opinion including mine is to decieve the mind from the personal truth you believe in.

#13 Posted by lamprey263 (24205 posts) -

During college I ended up with a psychiatrist that wanted to prescribe me anti-depressants. My experience with anti-depressants is they made me worse off, horrible side effects, inability to sleep, bigger mood swings, hot flashes in the night, excessive sweating, greater irritability, racing thoughts, lack of concentration. And coming off of them was worse. Luckily I found refuge in self prescribed pseudoephedrine which at the time was cheap and over the counter. By the time they did away with over the counter pseudoephedrine I was a lot better off anyways so it was no biggy.

#14 Edited by Evdne971 (245 posts) -

Thanks guys for your opinions.

I'm not a mess or anything, and these are very common minimal dose antidepressants with minor to no side effects, not being as hungry is the only one I've been getting for like an hour

This is not going to be a solution, it'll be a tool to get more from counseling, for 6 months only, increasing the dose is not going to be even considered.

I am highly against antidepressants, but the pros is outweighing the cons by a lot.

Again I didn't expect any answers, just opinions.

#15 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Worst case scenario? You try the pills and they don't work for your and/or have adverse side-effects, then you stop taking them. It's worth it to at least try it until you find something that works for you.