Internet connection issues....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -

So I use a phone line connection for internet and Xbox LIVE. Everything is fine, minimal lag, but whenever I get a phone call it logs me off of Xbox LIVE. It's really fvcking annoying, and since I'm still under my parents' roof, I can't get a new internet package.

Is there any way to remove this issue of disconnecting due to phone calls? Or am I just screwed?

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12860 posts) -

Phone line? You mean like dial-up?

If so, you can add a string to your modem to disable Call Waiting for that session. Been a while but I think the code is either *70, 70# or one other one, I forget, depending upon where you live.

#3 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

So I use a phone line connection for internet and Xbox LIVE. Everything is fine, minimal lag, but whenever I get a phone call it logs me off of Xbox LIVE. It's really fvcking annoying, and since I'm still under my parents' roof, I can't get a new internet package.

Is there any way to remove this issue of disconnecting due to phone calls? Or am I just screwed?

GamerZem

Have you turned off call waiting via *70? If not, you should make sure that your dial-up settings for dialing into your ISP includes that prior to the phone number.

#4 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -

Phone line? You mean like dial-up?.

br0kenrabbit

No, we use DSL. We don't use a modem.

#5 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12860 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

GamerZem

Do you have the filters installed on the line? DSL should operate alongside the telephone, not in exclusion to.

#6 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

GamerZem

Then you need to have the phone company take a look at your lines and ensure that everything is connected properly as that should not happen. I have been running a DSL connection for 11 years without any problems like that.

#7 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerZem"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

Do you have the filters installed on the line? DSL should operate alongside the telephone, not in exclusion to.

No, I do not.

#8 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Get the filters installed on your phone lines then. They need to be on every jack that has a phone plugged into them.

#9 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
shobe the sing then hear the ding
#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12860 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="GamerZem"]

GamerZem

No, I do not.

Call your ISP and tell them you need line filters. They shouldn't charge you, should have given them to you in the first place, and they look (something) like this:

71p7pz.jpg

#11 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4029 posts) -
So no filters and no dsl modem. Something is afoul. You use verizon dontcha?!
#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23478 posts) -
You need to put filters on your phone. (Phones will gladly go out of their spectrum and invade your DSL w/o the filter)
#13 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -

Thanks for the help.