Indz got screwed, anybody else?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

July 16, a sudden thunder lightining during rain and my PC boom. Mobo got fried. Gonna cost me much as i've to get new mobo and CPU as in new mobo i can't fit my old CPU. Wiil try to fix mobo in a repairing centre before as its out of warranty also. Typing this from freinds PC.

Has thunder storm/ lightning or any other calamity fried up your PC or any electric appliance as T.V , fan ETC in your home or workplace before OT?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Nah, I have a surge protector.

My friend's PC just got screwed today but for unknown reasons. I'm thinking hardware failure of psu.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

No but sounds like a right pain in the ass, gonna get one of those surge protectors i think, we do get some hectic lightning storms round these parts.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@ariabed said:

No but sounds like a right pain in the ass, gonna get one of those surge protectors i think, we do get some hectic lightning storms round these parts.

Don't get a cheapie. APC and a few other companies actually insure your equipment, the amount depending upon which product you buy. Read the package.

Also don't forget, if you're not using a wireless router/modem then the cable/phone line is a good conduit for electrical surges. You can get surge protectors with coaxial/RJ11 (phone line) in/out, but some people suffer internet issues in such a configuration.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@ariabed said:

Don't get a cheapie. APC and a few other companies actually insure your equipment, the amount depending upon which product you buy. Read the package.

Also don't forget, if you're not using a wireless router/modem then the cable/phone line is a good conduit for electrical surges. You can get surge protectors with coaxial/RJ11 (phone line) in/out, but some people suffer internet issues in such a configuration.

Cheers bro

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Yep, it happened to me about 2 months after I bought my first PC. Thankfully only think it fried was my power source...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Had a similar occurrence a few years back, it sucks my friend, but, as the man suggested, surge protection is definitely worth the cheap investment.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The bulk of my N64 collection was in a flood. ....decided to clean some of it two years later. A lot of it still works.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I got APC UPS. Whats Power Surge guys, i mean how does it help during lightning ? and whats its cost ???

P.S - My internet cable was directly hooked to my mobo ( my internet provider dosen't provide a external modem ), so during lightning it took out the icu of my mobo. Hows a power surge gonna help me next time ? My freind advised me to use a LAN card next time to jack my ethernet cable onto instead of directly into mobo.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: Is that a US powerpoint?

It looks a lot like its doing a...

:O

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I have. One time it was my 2nd Xbox (original), my TV and a PC. My dad fixed the TV (I was highly skeptical, who knew he knew how to do that!!!), I ventured into a PC for the first time and change the power supply using one from an old broken computer of my mine but the Xbox died :(

My 1st Xbox died the same way. I'm honestly sadden thinking about, hit it Puff:

Loading Video...

This goes out to your Mobo Indz, this goes to my Xboxes, this goes out to all our fried electronics. We miss you.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Master_Live

@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah, I had one of those. Didn't worked. Now I own two APC ones and I don't trust them either. Just waiting till one day my Plasma goes out and then I can truly end it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i have a surge protector but yeah, i had massive lightning storms in my area last night.

it looked like lazer floyd out there.

probably a couple hundred flashes a minute for over an hour.

i went out on the deck and chilled and watched it.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@Master_Live said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Yeah, I had one of those. Didn't worked. Now I own two APC ones and I don't trust them either. Just waiting till one day my Plasma goes out and then I can truly end it.

If your equipment got fried and both the protected and grounded lights were on on the surge protector, APC would have paid for your stuff.

"Equipment Protection Policy"

'In the 50 U.S. States, Canada, Bermuda and/or Puerto Rico for 120V products only.'

If your electronic equipment is damaged by power line transients on an AC power line (120 volt) while directly and properly connected to a standard APC 120 volt product covered by the Equipment Protection Policy ("connected equipment"), and if all of the remaining conditions specified below are met, APC will, at APC's sole option, during the period specified below, replace the APC product and either (a) pay for the repair of the equipment or (b) reimburse you for the fair market value, as determined by the then current price list of the Orion Blue Book (or equivalent), of the connected equipment, in an amount not to exceed the dollar limits stated below, if APC determines that the damage was caused by the failure of the APC product to protect against power line transients, (telephone line, network, or CATV transients, if applicable). Power line transients that APC products have been designed to protect against, as recognized by industry standards, include spikes and surges on AC power lines (not designed as protection against swells as defined by IEEE 1100-1992). Protection from telephone line transients applies only to APC products which offer telephone line protection, and in cases in which such protection is available, telephone service equipment must include a properly installed and operating "primary protection" device at the service entrance (such devices are normally added during telephone installation) in order to be covered for telephone line transients. Protection of CATV (Cable Television) connected equipment from transients applies only to APC products which offer such protection, and in such cases, the CATV service must be properly grounded according to the codes set forth in the National Electric Code (NEC) in order to be covered for CATV transients. Protection from network line transients applies only to APC products which offer network line protection.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Your next investment should be in a surge protector/battery backup.

There is no point in buying new computer parts until you have one.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_Live

@br0kenrabbit said:
@Master_Live said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

If your equipment got fried and both the protected and grounded lights were on on the surge protector, APC would have paid for your stuff.

"Equipment Protection Policy"

'In the 50 U.S. States, Canada, Bermuda and/or Puerto Rico for 120V products only.'

If your electronic equipment is damaged by power line transients on an AC power line (120 volt) while directly and properly connected to a standard APC 120 volt product covered by the Equipment Protection Policy ("connected equipment"), and if all of the remaining conditions specified below are met, APC will, at APC's sole option, during the period specified below, replace the APC product and either (a) pay for the repair of the equipment or (b) reimburse you for the fair market value, as determined by the then current price list of the Orion Blue Book (or equivalent), of the connected equipment, in an amount not to exceed the dollar limits stated below, if APC determines that the damage was caused by the failure of the APC product to protect against power line transients, (telephone line, network, or CATV transients, if applicable). Power line transients that APC products have been designed to protect against, as recognized by industry standards, include spikes and surges on AC power lines (not designed as protection against swells as defined by IEEE 1100-1992). Protection from telephone line transients applies only to APC products which offer telephone line protection, and in cases in which such protection is available, telephone service equipment must include a properly installed and operating "primary protection" device at the service entrance (such devices are normally added during telephone installation) in order to be covered for telephone line transients. Protection of CATV (Cable Television) connected equipment from transients applies only to APC products which offer such protection, and in such cases, the CATV service must be properly grounded according to the codes set forth in the National Electric Code (NEC) in order to be covered for CATV transients. Protection from network line transients applies only to APC products which offer network line protection.

Ha, when I said I had one of those I really meant "one that look like those but the cheap version". I see the one in the picture is actually APC.

Now all my electronics are "protected" by two of these:

I keep nagging my brother to buy one (he is currently building a PC) but he won't listen. I guess some people can't learn through others.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 br0kenrabbit

@Master_Live said:

Ha, when I said I had one of those I really meant "one that look like those but the cheap version". I see the one in the picture is actually APC.

I keep nagging my brother to buy one (he is currently building a PC) but he won't listen. I guess some people can't learn through others.

Is that a UPS or a surge protector? Looks like a UPS.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Live
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Master_Live said:

@br0kenrabbit: don't try to scare me! It says "surge protection" right there!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Master_Live

But yeah, it is a UPS.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Had a little fire in my pc when playing Fifa 14 on my new rig at the time.

Back then I didn't no the importance of a good psu.

The 500w generic psu blew up...lucky enough didn't take anything else out though

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Only once , but it was just the TV that got cooked.

Consoles somehow didn't get killed so guess i got lucky.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I turn off my main PC and laptop and use my old Mac Mini or Toshiba netbook when there are thunderstorms nearby. All are hooked up to surge protectors.

The last time I had a problem was years ago when lightning hit nearby. The surge traveled up the phone line and took out my dial up modem. The rest of the PC was fine.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Master_Live said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Master_Live said:

@br0kenrabbit: don't try to scare me! It says "surge protection" right there!

It's a UPS, but UPS's typically (always?) have surge protection as well. You're fine. I'm using a CyberPower (APS's consumer brand) pure sine wave 1500 for some heavier duty equipment, and they're kind of fun to work with if you get into programming them with their NUT support.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Nope, don't get many storms in these parts.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Had a little fire in my pc when playing Fifa 14 on my new rig at the time.

Back then I didn't no the importance of a good psu.

The 500w generic psu blew up...lucky enough didn't take anything else out though

That PSU was still better than what's crammed into most pre-built computers. If I had $5 for every 118 watt PSU I pulled out of Pentium 4 machines..... (If you recall anything about the Pentium 4 Netburst architecture, you'll recognize how stupidly undersized that is)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Surge protection......never game without protection dude.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mattbbpl: the psu was trying to power an 8350 and 7850 at high load.

It didn't stand a chance

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

I have both a surge protector and awesome renter's insurance.

In fact, my renter's insurance is so awesome that I was almost glad when my iPad mini got stolen a few months ago. Ended up using the payout to replace it with a HP Windows tablet with 4G and a few accessories to include a 64GB SD card that altogether still came out less than the iPad by itself.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Nope, and I hope that it never happens. Even though I get a few severe storms in my area per year, once that severe thunderstorm warning goes off, I shutdown my shit pronto!