In U.S., 42% Believe Creationist View of Human Origins.

• 89 results
#1 Posted by Master_Live (14418 posts) -

Americans' views related to religiousness, age, education

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe humans evolved, but God had no part in process. What say you OT?

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7419 posts) -

This is just plain sad.

#3 Posted by deeliman (2422 posts) -

Pretty sad that so many people don't "believe" in evolution.

#4 Posted by xdude85 (4393 posts) -

Notice how 57% of creationists barely attended high school.

#5 Posted by Jankarcop (9273 posts) -

lmao republicans

#6 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1749 posts) -

The only things worth believing in are life, love, and death.

#7 Edited by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

#8 Posted by NeoGen85 (4157 posts) -

Who cares?

#9 Posted by Master_Live (14418 posts) -
#10 Posted by themajormayor (25743 posts) -

@xdude85 said:

Notice how 57% of creationists barely attended high school.

Hahahah, oh dear. Dat irony.

#11 Posted by lostrib (35810 posts) -

there's a lot of stupid out there

#12 Posted by wis3boi (31290 posts) -

27% of college grads think the earth is 10000 years old.....oye

#13 Edited by ferrari2001 (16875 posts) -

Damit Christian fundamentalists stop ignoring the world around you. Science is an integral part of human society.

#14 Posted by lostrib (35810 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

going to college doesn't necessarily mean they're intelligent or that they'll learn anything

#15 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

going to college doesn't necessarily mean they're intelligent or that they'll learn anything

Or that they're even going to a secular college. Tons of religious universities out there.

#16 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1476 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

Or that they're even going to a secular college. Tons of religious universities out there.

Or they even care about the sciences in the first place. For instance, an anecdotal piece I have back in the day was a gal at my university was given a "how old the earth" is kind of question on a test. She wrote down the right answer with an asterisk, and the notation went on to say that's not what she believes and wrote down the "correct" year of about 10,000 years old.

#17 Edited by pyro1245 (756 posts) -

what!? dammit people it's 2014! You all evolved from apes! If there was any highly advance life forms that had a hand in it they certainly didn't stick around to listen to your prayers; and it was probably a mistake. You didn't ride around on dinosaurs and the Book of Genesis is a made up story! Stop being so dense! idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.gif

#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

what!? dammit people it's 2014! You all evolved from apes! If there was any highly advance life forms that had a hand in it they certainly didn't stick around to listen to your prayers; and it was probably a mistake. You didn't ride around on dinosaurs and the Book of Genesis is a made up story! Stop being so dense! idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.gif

I hate to be the technicality police, but we share a common ancestor with modern apes. And I think it was shown recently that going back even further, we evolved from a type of monkey. But that's just a technicality. Rant away!

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (756 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

I hate to be the technicality police, but we share a common ancestor with modern apes. And I think it was shown recently that going back even further, we evolved from a type of monkey. But that's just a technicality. Rant away!

...................................................................................

creationism is stupid

#20 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8404 posts) -

I am surprised it's not higher. Maybe it's just where I am from but it seems rare to find people who don't at least believe god had role in our evolution.

#21 Edited by Motokid6 (5427 posts) -

So no one watched COSMOS I take it?

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

Why would they? They are already cemented in their beliefs. Sense and reason won't change their minds.

#23 Posted by comp_atkins (31334 posts) -

what are the statistics for the same questions in other developed nations?

#24 Posted by lostrib (35810 posts) -

I am surprised it's not higher. Maybe it's just where I am from but it seems rare to find people who don't at least believe god had role in our evolution.

but the 42% are the ones who don't even believe we evolved, just that God made us as we are now

#25 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8404 posts) -

@lostrib: still seems low. The ones who believe god had a role are just one step from fully believing in evolution. Probably just saying god had a role for that chance they are wrong and will be sent to hell for not accepting god lol.

#26 Posted by uninspiredcup (8294 posts) -

Is this the bit when a bunch of teenagers starting uni start ranting on about how stupid people are?

#27 Posted by wis3boi (31290 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

creationists watched it and shit themselves with anger that they didnt get more air time to spew their bull

#28 Posted by lostrib (35810 posts) -

Is this the bit when a bunch of teenagers starting uni start ranting on about how stupid people are?

well there are a lot of stupid people out there

#29 Posted by lamprey263 (23507 posts) -

and this is why we can't have nice things

#30 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4076 posts) -

@NeoGen85:

Nobody. Not even that 42% care that they care...

#31 Posted by lightleggy (15921 posts) -

I believe evolution is a "God guided process", so to speak, not the words I'd use personally but I guess they work.

#32 Posted by sonicare (53460 posts) -

That poll may be deceiving. Stating that you believe "god created humans" doesnt necessarily mean you believe in the bible version or "creationism" per se.

#33 Posted by wis3boi (31290 posts) -

@sonicare said:

That poll may be deceiving. Stating that you believe "god created humans" doesnt necessarily mean you believe in the bible version or "creationism" per se.

creationism is exactly that.....that a supernatural being made people

#34 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1498 posts) -

great, i totally agree. evolution does happen but I don't believe in human evolution. there are animals that have been evolving for millions of more years than apes and you don't see them driving cars and building space shuttles. god is real.

#35 Edited by lostrib (35810 posts) -

great, i totally agree. evolution does happen but I don't believe in human evolution. there are animals that have been evolving for millions of more years than apes and you don't see them driving cars and building space shuttles. god is real.

#36 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1498 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

people without god in their life are depressed. let me ask you this, do you think evil people go to hell?

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5972 posts) -

I come from quite a religious family, but even so I have never believed in any god. I believe in facts. There is scientific evidence that humans evolved from other forms of life (as the survey puts it) and the formation of the universe has nothing to do with any deity.

However, I usually never discuss religion or ever put down those who believe in god (ie. my whole family). If that is what you believe and it makes you happy, then so be it.

#38 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1498 posts) -

I come from quite a religious family, but even so I have never believed in any god. I believe in facts. There is scientific evidence that humans evolved from other forms of life (as the survey puts it) and the formation of the universe has nothing to do with any deity.

However, I usually never discuss religion or ever put down those who believe in god (ie. my whole family). If that is what you believe and it makes you happy, then so be it.

if energy cannot be created or destroyed then what or who set off the big bang? to get a ball rolling someone has to give it that initial push. the almighty.

#39 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10156 posts) -

LOL!

#40 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5972 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: I'm sure someone much more qualified than me could offer a better insight into scientific studies that have been carried out. However my point of view is that time and space were created after the big bang, which means nothing existed before then. Including any deity. There was no space or time for any god to exist in. On any level.

And yes I know that still leaves the question of what caused the big bang. That's the biggest question that has ever and will ever exist, I believe. Maybe someone with a scientific background could offer a better insight.

#41 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1498 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ps4hasnogames: I'm sure someone much more qualified than me could offer a better insight into scientific studies that have been carried out. However my point of view is that time and space were created after the big bang, which means nothing existed before then. Including any deity. There was no space or time for any god to exist in. On any level.

And yes I know that still leaves the question of what caused the big bang. That's the biggest question that has ever and will ever exist, I believe. Maybe someone with a scientific background could offer a better insight.

Im going to delete my real reply because its so damn good that Im not going to waste it on these haters. I deserve a billion dollars for that thought.

#42 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5972 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: Lol. This is why I usually never discuss religion. Everyone has there own beliefs.

#43 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1498 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: Lol. This is why I usually never discuss religion. Everyone has there own beliefs.

i used to be like you and had no belief in god. then I had an epiphany, its impossible for god not to exist.

#44 Edited by lostrib (35810 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames: what does that have to do with evolution? And can you please link me to the studies that link depression and religion?

#45 Posted by 10854 (109 posts) -

So depressing. Once upon a time I thought stupid, like really stupid would always be funny.

#46 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12893 posts) -

let me ask you this, do you think evil people go to hell?

No. Because Sheol, Hades, Tartarus and Gehenna, the Greek and Hebrew words in the Bible that are translated into the English 'hell', do not mean what you think 'hell' means.

Sheol = Originally, the physical grave. Later synonymous with Hades.

Hades = The abode of the dead in Greek mythology. All dead end up here, and neither punishment nor reward are given.

Tartarus = The prison of the Titans in Greek mythology.

Gehenna = A valley outside Jerusalem where the mystery sects are said to have sacrificed children.

Now, which one of those is your definition of 'hell'?

#47 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12893 posts) -

I believe evolution is a "God guided process", so to speak, not the words I'd use personally but I guess they work.

If you believe in both God and human evolution, answer me this: where along the evolutionary line did man acquire an immortal soul, and why didn't his father have one?

#48 Posted by Master_Live (14418 posts) -

Amen. Preach brother, preach!

#49 Edited by PopeAnonymousXV (37 posts) -

people without god in their life are depressed. let me ask you this, do you think evil people go to hell?

Lot's of really good people go to hell according to your religion, and for no greater crime than being born on the wrong side of the world.

#50 Posted by Korvus (3532 posts) -

@Master_Live: Why is it that when I read your thread titles I think "Yeah, sad but I'm not surprised" but when I'm finally done reading your post I always end up thinking "People are just fucked up in the head..."? =P