In God We Trust vs E. Pluribus Unum

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I know, I know this is a random topic where we should be talking about chicken sandwiches and evil Muslims, and this question is probably very old and overdone. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Personally, I feel the motto "In God We Trust" doesn't represent our country at all. It is the official motto only because it was done out of fear and to differentiate ourselves from the atheistic Soviet Union. Although "E. Pluribus Unum" was never our official motto but rather our de facto motto, I felt that it best represented our country, from the unity of the thirteen colonies to the melting pot of today.

So OT what's your opinion?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Yea, the "In god we trust" thing should be removed.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Yea, the "In god we trust" thing should be removed. l4dak47
Yeah but you're just an atheist waiting for genocide. I have that on good authority....>__>
IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

Remind me what the second means? Out of one, many?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

IronBeaver
Out of many, one. iirc.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

IronBeaver

essentialy.

either way i think its dumb to tie a country down to one religion/god.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

royal-blue-community-flag-e-pluribus-anu

Neither

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic

IronBeaver
I believe you have that backwards....
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I'll go with the second one, the one that was derived from a salad recipe.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.Zeviander
The country was founded on religious freedom.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

I think having a secular motto promotes religious freedom more, as it's nuetral and fair to people who don't believe in a god.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
The country was founded on religious freedom.LJS9502_basic
And this differs from what I said, how? Religious freedom is a secular value.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phaze-Two

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The country was founded on religious freedom.Zeviander

People who try to use the fact that this country was founded on religious freedom as a way of promoting religion are missing the point, and can't understand how they've missed the point. Maybe that's a big reason why they are religious in the first place.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The country was founded on religious freedom.Phaze-Two

People who try to use the fact that this country was founded on religious freedom as a way of promoting religion are missing the point, and can't understand how they've missed the point. Maybe that's a big reason why they are religious in the first place.

Seems you missed the point...
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.LJS9502_basic

yeah for christian sects.

i can guarantee you they wanted nothing to do with Jews/Hindus/Muslims.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leviathan91

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.frannkzappa

yeah for christian sects.

i can guarantee you they wanted nothing to do with Jews/Hindus/Muslims.

This is true. Those who professed another religion or faith were miniscule in the colonies. Still, religion was never mentioned in the Constitution other than that there would be no religious test. Also, "Under God" was added to the Declration of Indepdence during the 1950s and "In God We Trust" was added after the horrors of the Civil War, to show the unity of this country.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

E pluribus unum.

I'll take our first motto over the one adopted at the height of the Second Red Scare.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Religion vs statism. It's a battle with no winners. Both define America, unfortunately.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Obviously E. Pluribus Unum represents the country better, although I wish In God We Trust did.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Most americans don't agree with you. Just saying.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.LJS9502_basic

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Yup, the State should, in no way, support an establishment of religion.

BosoxJoe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 BosoxJoe5
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts

This is true. Those who professed another religion or faith were miniscule in the colonies. Still, religion was never mentioned in the Constitution other than that there would be no religious test. Also, "Under God" was added to the Declration of Indepdence during the 1950s and "In God We Trust" was added after the horrors of the Civil War, to show the unity of this country.

leviathan91

You are incorrect. Under God is not in the Declaration of Independence. How ever ther are many mentions to God and the Creator. The Founding Father were deist beleiving in a God but not in religion. They never intended to have a Godless country. The Pledge was created after the Civil War, and Under God was added in the 50's to avoid soudning Marxist. The hand on your heart part was added to be less Nazi-like.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

I think it's kinda silly that it got changed to "In God We Trust" during the 1950s, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it get changed back to what it originally was. But honestly, I don't really care all that much when it comes to matters such as the national motto or the fact that "under God" got put into the Pledge of Allegiance because it doesn't really matter in any practical sense. It's just a bit of an eyesore and a small affront to what was originally intended, but nothing much more than that.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]Considering that America was founded as a purely secular nation, "In God We Trust" pretty much violates the Constitution.Inconsistancy

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Yup, the State should, in no way, support an establishment of religion.

If Only it didn't feel the need to abridge their right to practice.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leviathan91

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

BosoxJoe5

You are incorrect. Under God is not in the Declaration of Independence. How ever ther are many mentions to God and the Creator. The Founding Father were deist beleiving in a God but not in religion. They never intended to have a Godless country. The Pledge was created after the Civil War, and Under God was added in the 50's to avoid soudning Marxist. The hand on your heart part was added to be less Nazi-like.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

Haha oh gawd, I mean the pledge of allegiance. :lol: :P

Long night.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

Many people could make a very convincing argent that "In God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
The founders weren't anywhere near as anti-religion as modern day liberals would lead people to believe. They only had a problem with a Federal state church. Church and state separation was not originally supposed to apply to the states.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 leviathan91

Many people could make a very convincing argent that "I'm God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.layton2012

It has been challenged several times before but the Supreme Court found it constitutional on grounds that it was merely patriotic. However, a mojority of Americans see the motto as religious.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]Many people could make a very convincing argent that "I'm God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.leviathan91

It has been challenged several times before but the Supreme Court found it constitutional on grounds that it was merely patriotic. However, a mojority of Americans see the motto as religious.

Which is why it's never been changed, that doesn't change the fact that it is religious, and should be change but won't, just how under god should be removed from the pledge, it is unconstitutional but is consider patriotic by our leaders, I personally find it offensive to any who have different religions.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phaze-Two

Many people could make a very convincing argent that "I'm God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.layton2012

...in that you'd have to first establish that you are, in fact, god.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 layton2012

[QUOTE="layton2012"]Many people could make a very convincing argent that "I'm God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.Phaze-Two

Stupid Typo. Autocorrect truly sucks. Thanks

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Phaze-Two

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"]Many people could make a very convincing argent that "I'm God we trust" is unconstitutional. It violates the establishment clause.layton2012

Stupid Typo. Autocorrect truly sucks. Thanks

ah, see. I thought it was too much of a coincidence that you put the apostrophe in there too. I don't wanna be thought of as the guy who corrects people for clearly making typos.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

God.

ca5albert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ca5albert
Member since 2012 • 92 Posts
I think having a secular motto promotes religious freedom more
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Gotta go with the latin. Not because I'm an atheist, but because as you said, "In God We Trust" is not what the US was founded on. THe constitution makes no mention of rany gods and is stricly baclk and white separation of church and state. Only in recent decades is the US growing more and more into a place where religion has a hand in politics and such, and it's not what the founding fathers wanted....they are probably rolling in their graves.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
E pluribus unum is a much better motto. It sounds better and it makes far more sense for our country. Out of many, one. Many states, one country. Et cetera, et cetera.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

.TheWalkingGhost

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

E. Pluribus Unum.

On another note, I really wish my nation's motto and anthem was changed...

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The motto first appeared on a 2-cent coin in 1864. It has been in continuous use on the penny since 1909, and the dime since 1916.

From the BEP FAQ:

Why is the phrase In God We Trust on U.S. currency?

The use of the national motto on both U.S. coins and notes is required by two statutes, 31 U.S.C. 5112(d) (1) and 5114(b), respectively. The motto was not adopted for use on U.S. paper money until 1957. It first appeared on some 1935G Series $1 Silver Certificates, but didn't appear on U.S. Federal Reserve Notes until the Series 1963 currency. This use of the national motto has been challenged in court many times over the years that it has been in use, and has been consistently upheld by the various courts of this country, including the U.S. Supreme Court as recently as 1977.

The Department of the Treasury and the Department of Justice intend to actively defend against challenges to the use of the national motto.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/faqlibrary.html

Other countries have had similar statements on their cash (Netherlands, Brazil, and UK coins ( "Elizabeth II D.G. REG. F.D.")).

"Aronow v. United States," 432 F.2d 242 (1970) in the United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit The court ruled that:

"It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency 'In God We Trust' has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise."

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think it's kinda silly that it got changed to "In God We Trust" during the 1950s, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it get changed back to what it originally was. But honestly, I don't really care all that much when it comes to matters such as the national motto or the fact that "under God" got put into the Pledge of Allegiance because it doesn't really matter in any practical sense. It's just a bit of an eyesore and a small affront to what was originally intended, but nothing much more than that.

Blood-Scribe

This. This issue doesn't matter.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Why do people assume that the statement "In God We Trust" is not a secular statement?
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Inconsistancy

Why do people assume that the statement "In God We Trust" is not a secular statement?Silenthps
Because 'god' is an innately religious entity? What other use does the word have, where else are there gods besides religion? (art?)

secular - of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 leviathan91

Why do people assume that the statement "In God We Trust" is not a secular statement?Silenthps

A majority of Americans find it religious (not saying they oppose it) but the Supreme Court finds it not religious but rather patriotic. There were also other reasons but I forget.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]Why do people assume that the statement "In God We Trust" is not a secular statement?Inconsistancy

Because 'god' is an innately religious entity? What other use does the word have, where else are there gods besides religion? (art?)

secular - of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.

Secularity (adjective form secular[1], meaning: "worldly" or "temporal") is the state of being separate from religion, or not being exclusively allied to any particular religion. In God We Trust is not exclusive to any particular religion. Nor is 'god' innately religious. Other uses for the word is when people say oh my god which even atheist say.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Heaven forbid we use the dirty word God on anything
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Inconsistancy

Secularity (adjective form secular[1], meaning: "worldly" or "temporal") is the state of being separate from religion, or not being exclusively allied to any particular religion.

In God We Trust is not exclusive to any particular religion. Nor is 'god' innately religious. Other uses for the word is when people say oh my god which even atheist say. Silenthps

How is it not? In ----GOD---- We Trust, what do we trust in? God! "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

In 'oh my god'(or oy vey) you're saying the emotion exasperation, dismay or exclamation, but we're not Elcor, so we don't say which emotion we're using. What exactly 'is' the word 'god' saying?

The State should be more careful with words and use statements with as little gray as possible in thier interpritations: E Pluribus Unum, in no way is not secular. Out of many, one. "Never a miscommunication, you can't explain that!" Much better.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

If you believe in the Greek Gods, I don't think many people would be trusting Zeus.

Just saying... Dude was a sleaze