Important Update to the GameSpot Community Code of Conduct

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GameSpot (185 posts) -

GameSpot is on the verge of momentous change as we prepare to re-launch the site in the biggest change its seen in 17 years. During this time of self-reflection were aiming to improve as many aspects of the site as possible. One of the biggest issue plaguing GameSpot is the abysmal practices seen in our comment section.

The gaming industry strives in partaking of past exploits in fantasy worlds and individual experiences that evoke emotional responses. Weve all come together to talk about the latest game releases or to recall the good old days in gaming, its the very reason so many of you participate in our forums and comment sections. Not only do we encourage it, we cant thank you enough for doing so on a daily basis. Unfortunately, some of you have decided to abuse our communal space with uncalled for levels of abusive and offensive language. We aim to fix that.

It is my pleasure to announce that we will be changing our Terms of Use along with revising how we moderate the site. If we are to grow as a community, we must hold some level of respect towards each other and in doing so we must be able to communicate like proper human beings. Hate speech and threats have no place in any community that hopes to be welcoming and engaging towards anyone who simply wants to talk to likeminded individuals. I realize that simply saying we are changing things isnt enough so starting today anyone with moderating powers on the site will enforce our existing guidelines (and continue to do so once new ones are in place) in the following way.

First offense: User will receive a warning.
Second offense: Seven-day suspension from the site.
Third offense: Permanent Ban from GameSpot

For the sake of clarity, this will include forums, comment sections, and blogs. The ban will be imposed to those that violate our guidelines within a span of 60 days of each offense. If no further incidents occur within the 60 day period, the user will be cycled back to good standing all is right in the world.

For most of you, the only effect of these changes should be a noticeable improvement in the quality of conversation across the site. On the other hand some of you might see this as an unrealistic request and to those individual Id like to remind them that there are plenty of vestibules in the online space that would welcome your closed minded views. GameSpot will not tolerate hate speech, threats, and we will ban accordingly at our own discretion.

#2 Posted by lostrib (26271 posts) -

so are curse words going to be censored again?

#4 Posted by Blabadon (23756 posts) -
At least I know this isn't as bad as the new site design.
#5 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14087 posts) -

lostrib
No, that rule will remain as is.
#6 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -
Gamespot I beat you by 6 minutes http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29452912/guys-be-aware-of-policy-change
#7 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14087 posts) -
Gamespot I beat you by 6 minutes dave123321
Not sure if it's bragworthy, being that the notice went out yesterday. :P
#8 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Gamespot I beat you by 6 minutes Hallenbeck77
Not sure if it's bragworthy, being that the notice went out yesterday. :P

Me and gamespot aren't machines that are always on
#9 Posted by lostrib (26271 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Hallenbeck77

No, that rule will remain as is.

Excellent...er, I mean, cursing is bad kids!

#10 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2820 posts) -
@Hallenbeck77 Does blogging became limited? If so...our opinion isn't what it used to describe.I blogged with care. and everyone has their own opinion,what's the use of blogs(personal digital diary) if the community began to plant suspicious oversight on every last blog a person has made?
#11 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14087 posts) -
[QUOTE="Smashbrossive50"]@Hallenbeck77 Does blogging became limited? If so...our opinion isn't what it used to describe.I blogged with care. and everyone has their own opinion,what's the use of blogs(personal digital diary) if the community began to plant suspicious oversight on every last blog a person has made?

I'll try to answer what I can so please bear with me, my ability to answer is limited, as I'm currently on the road. As far as blogging goes, it's still business as usual.
#12 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24869 posts) -

Can I still be silly?

#13 Posted by lostrib (26271 posts) -

Can I still be silly?

THE_DRUGGIE

No! No more fun!

#14 Posted by konvikt_17 (21979 posts) -

ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg.

#15 Posted by konvikt_17 (21979 posts) -

wait so are one word posts gonna be allowed?

what about just replying with a image/gif?

#16 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14087 posts) -

konvikt_17
That's still allowed, so relax. That includes "lol" as a post, in case anyone asks. And where is that pic from, out of curiousity.
#17 Posted by airshocker (27273 posts) -

Okay, where the fvck in the ToS does it say we can use curse words? I know this is a policy that was put into place but I can't find where it says we can ACTUALLY DO THAT?

Also, you guys are absolutely the worst when it comes to rule changes. What is the standard definition being used for what hate speech is? Obviously I have a pretty good idea, but I'm kind of tired of getting modded for calling someone a whiny, cry-baby, when I was under the impression that insulting is all well and good so long as it isn't hate speech.

#18 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24869 posts) -

Okay, where the fvck in the ToS does it say we can use curse words? I know this is a policy that was put into place but I can't find where it says we can ACTUALLY DO THAT?

Also, you guys are absolutely the worst when it comes to rule changes. What is the standard definition being used for what hate speech is? Obviously I have a pretty good idea, but I'm kind of tired of getting modded for calling someone a whiny, cry-baby, when I was under the impression that insulting is all well and good so long as it isn't hate speech.

airshocker

Yeah, that's actually something that needs answering. The main thing I'm worried about is poissibly being modded for sexism. For example, would my most recent blog entry be modded for sexism, even though I was being silly?

I can see a humorless mod deleting it.

#19 Posted by konvikt_17 (21979 posts) -

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

Hallenbeck77

That's still allowed, so relax. That includes "lol" as a post, in case anyone asks. And where is that pic from, out of curiousity.

My sig?

Esther Baxter

the robot?

i have no idea

#20 Posted by ad1x2 (5236 posts) -
#21 Posted by Judas_ (278 posts) -

Oh Shit!

#22 Posted by airshocker (27273 posts) -

I love how no one but Hallenbeck---an unpaid moderator---is actually taking the time to explain any of this to us or answer some of our questions. Thanks GS staff. Bang up job so far.

#23 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

I love how no one but Hallenbeck---an unpaid moderator---is actually taking the time to explain any of this to us or answer some of our questions. Thanks GS staff. Bang up job so far.

airshocker
Venture out into other parts of gs's community
#24 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12249 posts) -

the robot?

i have no idea

konvikt_17

The Robot is a Swatbot:

126g0if.jpg

#25 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14087 posts) -

airshocker

Believe me, the staff is going above and beyond in trying to get the word out--the comment sections in particular. I'm just simply trying to do my part here as well--although with me having very limited access to my laptop for the next week or so, I can answer only so much.

I know some are nervous that we are going back to the old draconian ToU where you get modded at the drop of a hat--that is NOT the case here.

#26 Posted by solidruss (23592 posts) -

I know some are nervous that we are going back to the old draconian ToU where you get modded at the drop of a hat--that is NOT the case here.

Hallenbeck77

Indeed, I can verify that fact. There will be more info coming out soon. Trust us folks I know many of you are concerned. But please be patient, there is a lot going on right now.

#27 Posted by airshocker (27273 posts) -

Venture out into other parts of gs's community dave123321

Why? The post is right here in OT.

#28 Posted by dave123321 (32604 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Venture out into other parts of gs's community airshocker

Why? The post is right here in OT.

Because there are other avenues of information to make you a more informed user of gamespot. I do my part by trying to post the information here for you guys with threads like the ones announcing the site changes and my thread about this topic. Information will not always come to OT. As Hallen has said, a discussion is ongoing elsewhere on the site.
#29 Posted by airshocker (27273 posts) -

Because there are other avenues of information to make you a more informed user of gamespot. I do my part by trying to post the information here for you guys with threads like the ones announcing the site changes and my thread about this topic. Information will not always come to OT. As Hallen has said, a discussion is ongoing elsewhere on the site.dave123321

But there's a post here in OT. I'm not going to search through this entire site just to find where the other discussion is being held.

#30 Posted by lancea34 (6912 posts) -

I wonder if this is all because of those closed minded commentors on Carolyn Petite's reviews.

#31 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
Cool but you haven't explained why the current forums need to go
#32 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -

airshocker
Yeah, where do they plan on drawing the line between hate speech and trolling?
#33 Posted by mingmao3046 (2423 posts) -
What they say: "hate speech will not be tolerated!" What they mean: "the feminist PC liberals will now have more power in banning you for the stupidest little things!"
#34 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -

You'd expect that an official gamespot staff post has punctuation in it.

#35 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -

You'd expect that an official gamespot staff post has punctuation in it.

deeliman
they're trying to 'weve' a professional message here :P
#36 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
mingmao3046
don't tempt the banhammer
#37 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -
the OP clearly thinks hes the mark zuckerberg of gaming websites lmao!!
#38 Posted by charlesdarwin55 (2651 posts) -
What qualifies as hate speech? Can I say that black people are better runners than white people?
#39 Posted by GazaAli (21483 posts) -
I can see your motive and how its beneficial for you to enforce such new rules in the comment section of the website. But its absolutely uncalled for to enforce those rules in the forums. We're doing just fine, I don't think many are complaining. You've already lost many old and once dedicated members of these forums because of moderation and whatnot, don't be stupid and lose some more. Let's face it, very few new members visit the forums on daily basis and contribute something of value in there. I'm getting the impression that this is a new stunt to try and make the forums more active. You tried that once and look how it turned out. The forums were much more active before your crusade. Do you really want to go on another one and cut the level of activity AGAIN? Its all about quality people not quantity. A single user can be worth of a hundred new ones with the discussions he generates, the topics he creates and the people who keep coming back to interact with him, relatively speaking. Wouldn't it be common sense to tolerate such a user rather than giving him the ban hammer for trivial shit?
#40 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15497 posts) -

This has something to do with the GTAV review thing they spoke about in Feedbackula?

#41 Posted by GazaAli (21483 posts) -

This has something to do with the GTAV review thing they spoke about in Feedbackula?

DeadMan1290

What about it? I saw someone quoting a GS staff on the subject in his sig and it was hilarious :lol:

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (148561 posts) -
So are we as is with the exception that hate speech is not allowed....I never thought it was....or are we back to no insults. I'm so confused.:(
#43 Posted by LadyBlue (2236 posts) -

This is going to be so much fun.

#44 Posted by deeliman (1858 posts) -
So are we as is with the exception that hate speech is not allowed....I never thought it was....or are we back to no insults. I'm so confused.:(LJS9502_basic
The first thing.
#45 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15497 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

GazaAli

What about it? I saw someone quoting a GS staff on the subject in his sig and it was hilarious :lol:

People here were pretty annoyed at the 9 it got and bashed Carolyn....
#46 Posted by GazaAli (21483 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

DeadMan1290

It got a 9 and people were upset? Oh my...
#47 Posted by ad1x2 (5236 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] What about it? I saw someone quoting a GS staff on the subject in his sig and it was hilarious :lol:GazaAli

It got a 9 and people were upset? Oh my...

GTA 4 got a 10, so some fans may be sore about GTA 5 getting a lower score than the game before it.

Not to mention some of the negative comments went beyond criticizing the score and insulted the life choices of the reviewer.

#48 Posted by thegerg (12967 posts) -

Will some sort of review process be in place in order to ensure that moderation for hate speech are, in fact, handed out only for cases of hate speech, or will users still see instances of accusations of racism due to ignorance of the moderater doing the moderating?

#49 Edited by jimkabrhel (15383 posts) -

I'm curious to see how long some posters will last now.