IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHANGE YOUR IMAGES - PLEASE READ!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

We've been getting reports from some users that they've been receiving error messages to their accounts after making recent changes to their avatar image, user image and profile background. We've even had some reports of entire profiles disappearing. The Higher-ups are currently working on a fix for this.

For the time being, refrain from making any changes to avatars, user images and backgrounds. If you have made any changes, DO NOT LOG OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT!!! Do what you can to remain logged in until things are straightened out.

As always, any bugs encountered can be posted in the Feedback board. We'll keep you updated.

#2 Edited by dave123321 (33335 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up

#3 Edited by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

Yay... I totally just changed all of my images a minute ago.

#4 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

Yay... I totally just changed all of my images a minute ago.

Don't log out of your profile, then. We've had a few reports of users' entire profiles disappearing.

#5 Edited by AtariKidX (6192 posts) -

Thanks for the info.....but already have change my avatar.I mean i have upload my avatar from my PC.

#6 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

What is the deal with avatars anyway? On my profile I have the stock dumb head thing, but in comments Ion news stories its the same avatar I have been using for the last eight years?

#7 Edited by ZEYAAM898 (1921 posts) -

I changed mine a few days back, logged in today and my profile is still there, i must be lucky then :)

#8 Posted by ZEYAAM898 (1921 posts) -

We've been getting reports from some users that they've been receiving error messages to their accounts after making recent changes to their avatar image, user image and profile background. We've even had some reports of entire profiles disappearing. The Higher-ups are currently working on a fix for this.

For the time being, refrain from making any changes to avatars, user images and backgrounds. If you have made any changes, DO NOT LOG OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT!!! Do what you can to remain logged in until things are straightened out.

As always, any bugs encountered can be posted in the Feedback board. We'll keep you updated.

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/194197844077667059316682358889/
maybe this is one of the affected profiles, even though the images are stock, the username is strange and the post count is too high for a fake account. Can be a victim.

Just wanted to help.

#9 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Well that is wonderful. I'll try my best to stay logged in then. Thanks for heads up.

#10 Edited by angeldeb82 (1013 posts) -

Good thing my profile hasn't disappeared when I got a new pic as my avatar a few days ago. I haven't changed the pic since. :)

#11 Edited by destroyerman455 (112 posts) -

This is kinda frustrating. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to navigate the site so I could change my profile pic and now there is the possibility of losing my entire account.

I really hope they fix this very soon.

#12 Posted by mav_destroyer (3058 posts) -

What is the deal with avatars anyway? On my profile I have the stock dumb head thing, but in comments Ion news stories its the same avatar I have been using for the last eight years?

The picture/avatar in the comments is tied to Livefyre and when the new site launched the picture was imported from there just for the comments. The one on the website is on a different system.

#13 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -
#14 Posted by mav_destroyer (3058 posts) -

@mattykovax: No problem

@Hallenbeck77: Say, is it possible for the site admins to disable the images feature temporarily to avoid further damage to accounts? Changing the avatar/images is pretty much the first thing anyone is going to do on this new site.

#15 Edited by 23Jarek23 (2616 posts) -

I randomly get logged out of gamespot, always have. It's not because I clear cache or cookies or anything, it just happens. yay.

#16 Edited by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

really? How is it possible to get your entire account erased? This should be fixed asap

#17 Posted by foxhound_fox (86858 posts) -

This is one of those "really piss some people off" bugs.

#18 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

@Hallenbeck77 said:

maybe this is one of the affected profiles, even though the images are stock, the username is strange and the post count is too high for a fake account. Can be a victim.

Just wanted to help.

That's something that is unrelated; the admins are already aware of that. We do appreciate the help, though.

#19 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

@mattykovax: No problem

@Hallenbeck77: Say, is it possible for the site admins to disable the images feature temporarily to avoid further damage to accounts? Changing the avatar/images is pretty much the first thing anyone is going to do on this new site.

It hasn't happened to everyone who has changed their images, some folks simply encountered a few less severe bugs--but it's better to be safe than sorry. I think disabling images may be a last resort type of deal, but I'll keep you updated with any changes.

#20 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

I randomly get logged out of gamespot, always have. It's not because I clear cache or cookies or anything, it just happens. yay.

Give them a heads-up on the Feedback board. Best to let them know about every glitch that's out there.

#21 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: They've been working on this since late last night. Hopefully this can be fixed up soon.

#22 Edited by The_Last_Ride (68894 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: They've been working on this since late last night. Hopefully this can be fixed up soon.

ok, that's good to hear. I would really dislike it if my profile got deleted for something stupid like this

#23 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

This is one of those "really piss some people off" bugs.

Tell me about it. That's why we're recommending keeping your account logged in instead of logging out. We'd rather have people slightly annoyed than REALLY pissed off due to a wiped account. It hasn't affected everyone, but it's best to be on the side of caution, you know?

#24 Posted by Darkh0ll0w (11 posts) -

I made a comment on my new account (the old one is apparently missing) that I've created just before adding my avatar/forum images in the settings and I tried refreshing the page and now I am stuck with "guest" avatar.

Kind of a bummer..I really hope they can fix it soon.

#25 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

I made a comment on my new account (the old one is apparently missing) that I've created just before adding my avatar/forum images in the settings and I tried refreshing the page and now I am stuck with "guest" avatar.

Kind of a bummer..I really hope they can fix it soon.

Strange, I'm seeing an image of Death as your avatar...and a pretty badass one at that. Is that the one you uploaded?

#27 Edited by GAMERALL (405 posts) -

Got it. Although I'm tempted to press that Log Out button now more than ever, for If I lose the account, I'll create a new one to finally realize my decade-old Gamespot dream: changing my stupid username...!

#29 Edited by Pirate700 (46461 posts) -

@Hallenbeck77:

Is there any word on making Signatures work any time soon?

#30 Edited by -Toshy- (1349 posts) -
@ZEYAAM898 said:

Just wanted to help.

That's xaos's account that he requested to be deleted.

#31 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14258 posts) -

It looks like things should be working now, so we're going to remove the sticky.