Illinois Legalizes Gay Marriage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@capaho said:
@Fightingfan said:

I'm not saying one is more important; I'm saying there's more important social inequality matters that the gay community should be tackling like the example of not getting a job simply because you're a man who likes other men.

A bill was just passed by the Senate and sent to the House that adds sexual orientation to the list of human characteristics that cannot be used to justify job discrimination, but the illustrious Speaker, John Boehner, has said he will not allow it to go to the House floor for a vote because it would ban job discrimination against gay people, and he wants employers to be able to use their religious convictions to decide whether or not they want to discriminate in job hiring.

I wonder if that's legal grounds to not hire blacks too since slavery was OK in the bronze age.

The kind of nonsense we keep seeing from Tea Party Republicans in the House is exactly what happens whenever religious zealots have political power. Nothing constructive gets done and everyone suffers. There is no amount of damage they are unwilling to inflict on the country for the sake of their narrow-minded ideology.

#102 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@capaho said:

@Fightingfan said:

@capaho said:
@Fightingfan said:

I'm not saying one is more important; I'm saying there's more important social inequality matters that the gay community should be tackling like the example of not getting a job simply because you're a man who likes other men.

A bill was just passed by the Senate and sent to the House that adds sexual orientation to the list of human characteristics that cannot be used to justify job discrimination, but the illustrious Speaker, John Boehner, has said he will not allow it to go to the House floor for a vote because it would ban job discrimination against gay people, and he wants employers to be able to use their religious convictions to decide whether or not they want to discriminate in job hiring.

I wonder if that's legal grounds to not hire blacks too since slavery was OK in the bronze age.

The kind of nonsense we keep seeing from Tea Party Republicans in the House is exactly what happens whenever religious zealots have political power. Nothing constructive gets done and everyone suffers. There is no amount of damage they are unwilling to inflict on the country for the sake of their narrow-minded ideology.

They're America's Nazi party. I recently started watching them for entertainment.

#103 Posted by lostrib (31690 posts) -

@lostrib said:

And I guess if the toaster can consent, then go for it

If people can have relations with animals legally I don't see how my request for marriage equality to inanimate objects is any less crazy. At least I'm not hurting anyone/anything : P

marriage license is a legally binding document. So you should really start lobbying to remove government from marriage, you'll be one step closer to your toaster marriage

#104 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"Who cares who brought it up."

You're lying about who brought it up. It's either that or you're too dumb to understand the difference between someone being genetically predisposed to something and a person being born a certain way

My time is too valuable to be wasted on conversing with people that just want to throw insults, and therefore I am done conversing with you.

If you would like to continue the conversation in a more adult way, let us know.

OT knows everything about anything dude. How could you possibly win ? haha guess we're just too damn ignorant man. Our opinions are not in line with the absolute knowledge of OT.

#105 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

@Fightingfan: They would be funny if they weren't so divisive and destructive. At least Michele Bachman has an unlimited capacity for demonstrating how clueless they all are. It's too bad they control the government. It's scary, in fact.

#106 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14268 posts) -
#108 Posted by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@thegerg said:

You're lying about who brought it up. It's either that or you're too dumb to understand the difference between someone being genetically predisposed to something and a person being born a certain way

My time is too valuable to be wasted on conversing with people that just want to throw insults, and therefore I am done conversing with you.

If you would like to continue the conversation in a more adult way, let us know.

I didn't insult anyone. I proposed 2 scenarios, one of which has to be true.

1-You're lying.

OR

2-You're too dumb to understand what's been explained to you.

Calling someone ignorant (in your context and tone) and also dumb are both insulting, as well as liar when you have no basis for it.

Like I said before, if you want to have a civilized conversation like adults, let us know. In the meantime, this is my last message to you.

#109 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

What...the holy hell...is THAT?!

Hopefully our next prez/vice prez. Gets my vote for the lolz

#110 Edited by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@Fightingfan: I think you should be allowed to marry a toaster.

So with that opinion you agree to people legally marrying animals? and one person legally marrying more than one other person?

#111 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@capaho said:

@Fightingfan: They would be funny if they weren't so divisive and destructive. At least Michele Bachman has an unlimited capacity for demonstrating how clueless they all are. It's too bad they control the government. It's scary, in fact.

I wonder sometimes if they're just trolling.

I'm like 99.9% sure Bill O'reily is a troll. The man has amazing credentials to believe his whole "Tide comes in tide comes out. Can't explain that".

#112 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

What...the holy hell...is THAT?!

Michele Bachman with a foot long. I guess when she doesn't have her foot in her mouth she goes for a foot long.

#113 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14268 posts) -

That just looks like something from a horror movie. I can't tell if she'e shoving it down her throat or pulling it out--either way, it's just disturbing.

#114 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

So with that opinion you agree to people legally marrying animals? and one person legally marrying more than one other person?

Animal one? Sure why not. I've seen dogs hump humans so why can't the role be reversed?

Polygamy? If you can support multiple wives sure why not?

#115 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

Animal one? Sure why not. I've seen dogs hump humans so why can't the role be reversed?

lmao

#116 Posted by Teenaged (31743 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

How can I show a lack of understanding in the subject when all I said was I didn't agree with it?

Why don't you explain what it is you disagree with and why. Disagreement means holding a different opinion, sexuality is not an opinion.

You said I am uneducated in this subject so why would you want to know my reasons?

I disagree with homosexuality, simple. Will I die if they legalize gay marriage?, nope.... there are a lot of things I disagree with that I have to live with.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me, I simply said legalize it already because I am tired of seeing it everywhere.

Dude, basically all you're saying is you just dont like it. Which is redundant since you are obviously straight.

I dont like vagina but it is redundant and sounds overly dismissive for me to say "I dont agree with heterosexuality".

#117 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24941 posts) -

16 states have joined the hoards of hell. :(

Hell can't be any worse than Chicago.

#118 Posted by deeliman (2249 posts) -

Do you think she can fit it all the way?

#119 Posted by Solaryellow (422 posts) -

I never understood what goes on in the mind of a person to care what another individual does between two adults. Your life must suck if you are concerned whether two men or two women can marry. This shouldn't even be an issue but it is a great method of distracting people from important matters.

#120 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@deeliman said:

Do you think she can fit it all the way?

There appears to be a lot of empty space in that head, so I'd say yes.

#121 Posted by toast_burner (21135 posts) -

I never understood what goes on in the mind of a person to care what another individual does between two adults. Your life must suck if you are concerned whether two men or two women can marry. This shouldn't even be an issue but it is a great method of distracting people from important matters.

I know that some people seem to think homosexuality is harmful. e.g. that law in Russia that recently passed that pretty much makes it illegal to be gay, was claiming to be a way to prevent children from being molested because a lot of people there can't tell the difference between a homosexual and a paedophile. Where all these lies come from is a mystery, but clearly it won't fix itself.

#122 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@Solaryellow said:

I know that some people seem to think homosexuality is harmful. e.g. that law in Russia that recently passed that pretty much makes it illegal to be gay, was claiming to be a way to prevent children from being molested because a lot of people there can't tell the difference between a homosexual and a paedophile. Where all these lies come from is a mystery, but clearly it won't fix itself.

Where all of these lies come from is not a mystery, they come from religion. The Russian Orthodox Church is the driving force behind the draconian anti-gay laws in Russia. There is also a longstanding cultural mythology in Russia that being gay equates with effeminacy and weakness.

#123 Posted by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@thegerg said:

I didn't insult anyone. I proposed 2 scenarios, one of which has to be true.

1-You're lying.

OR

2-You're too dumb to understand what's been explained to you.

Calling someone ignorant (in your context and tone) and also dumb are both insulting, as well as liar when you have no basis for it.

Like I said before, if you want to have a civilized conversation like adults, let us know. In the meantime, this is my last message to you.

Again, I'm not insulting you. It's been explained to you that you were the first one to bring up "a birth thing." You continue to refuse to admit to that. You must either be lying or too dumb to realize what is going on.

#124 Posted by Solaryellow (422 posts) -

Nothing done in Russia surprises me considering it still has some of the very same blood who once believed it was smart to wall in a city so your people could not leave, spy on its people while asking for papers, etc..,

None of that excuses what happens here in the states. Our society has turned into one where people openly try to stop and prevent that which they don't favor. You don't have to like nor support homosexuality, heterosexuality, asexuality, etc.., but that doesn't mean you should stop it. Things would be different if they were trying to stop harmful policies but that isn't the case when it comes to gay marriage.

#125 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside: I think what they're trying to say is that sexual orientation is not something one chooses. There is a lot of research evidence these days to suggest that there is a genetic predisposition for sexual orientation, it's not something one chooses nor is it something one can change. To suggest otherwise is ignorant at best and cruel at worst. In your case, it makes as much sense to say that you disagree with being blond or being Bolivian as it does to say that you disagree with a person's sexual orientation.

Well I guess that's where I disagree. I don't believe it's a birth thing, just like I don't believe people are born killers. If it's something "one can't change" then why do some people turn gay or turn straight?

If you're still having trouble understanding why people are calling you ignorant, re-read the above.

They can call me whatever they want, but you haven't answered my question which I believe has a point.

Gay people don't turn straight and straight people don't turn gay. People who cross back and forth between the two are bisexual. Even Florida's conservative Republican governor, Chris Christie, recently signed into law a bill that outlaws so-called sexual reorientation therapy because it doesn't work and it causes much stress and anxiety to those who are subjected to it.

Then there is the old joke, what's the difference between a straight man and a bisexual? About three beers.

Chris Christie is New Jersey. Florida's governor is Rick Scott, and that Tea Party bastard would never ban sexual reorientation "therapy."

#126 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

@thegerg: You two guys need to give it a rest, your personal spat adds nothing constructive to the discussion. Harassing FelipeInside doesn't help him resolve his misconceptions, if he is willing to consider them. If he isn't willing to challenge his beliefs on the issue, then there is no point in even responding to him.

#127 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@Makhaidos: Yes, I erroneously said Florida in relation to Chris Christie. He is the governor of New Jersey. I expect Rick Scott would sign a law mandating sexual reorientation therapy for gay people in Florida.

#128 Edited by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I turned gay once. For only 12 payments of 499/mo (0% APR), I was able to go to camp, find jesus, and meet my loving wife of 20+ years

call now

#129 Posted by Aljosa23 (24306 posts) -

I always giggle when someone claims being gay is a choice because who in the fvck would want to be gay? That's like playing life on Hard mode.

#130 Posted by deeliman (2249 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I always giggle when someone claims being gay is a choice because who in the fvck would want to be gay? That's like playing life on Hard mode.

Pfft, noob

#131 Edited by Aljosa23 (24306 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Pfft, noob

I'm a black, female, gay, transgender, muslim, atheist.

COME AT ME, BRO

#132 Edited by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@capaho said:

@thegerg: You two guys need to give it a rest, your personal spat adds nothing constructive to the discussion. Harassing FelipeInside doesn't help him resolve his misconceptions, if he is willing to consider them. If he isn't willing to challenge his beliefs on the issue, then there is no point in even responding to him.

I've given it a rest about 2 pages ago, lol.... he obviously doesn't agree with my opinion which is fine by me, I'm not trying to convince him otherwise. Like I said, I don't agree with the whole gay marriage or homosexuality thing, but at the same time you won't see me in protest holding up a sign against it.

Personally I think gay marriage will probably be legalized in most countries over the next 10 years (not all countries). Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it, but I am not ignorant enough to know it will happen. I've tried to come to terms with it and accept it like many others have, but I can't, and that's my thing. I'm always willing to challenge my beliefs, always do, but are you willing as well?

#133 Posted by GreySeal9 (23939 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

lol

#134 Edited by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

I've given it a rest about 2 pages ago, lol.... he obviously doesn't agree with my opinion which is fine by me, I'm not trying to convince him otherwise. Like I said, I don't agree with the whole gay marriage or homosexuality thing, but at the same time you won't see me in protest holding up a sign against it.

Personally I think gay marriage will probably be legalized in most countries over the next 10 years (not all countries). Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it, but I am not ignorant enough to know it will happen. I've tried to come to terms with it and accept it like many others have, but I can't, and that's my thing.

I don't agree with you, but that's not the issue. The issue is that you refuse to be honest about the conversation and that you don't seem to understand that you can't "disagree" with an innate quality of a person, that simply makes no sense. That's like saying "I don't agree with you being male."

#135 Edited by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

Personally I think gay marriage will probably be legalized in most countries over the next 10 years (not all countries). Doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it, but I am not ignorant enough to know it will happen. I've tried to come to terms with it and accept it like many others have, but I can't, and that's my thing.

I don't agree with you, but that's not the issue. The issue is that you refuse to be honest about the conversation and that you don't seem to understand that you can't "disagree" with an innate quality of a person, that simply makes no sense. That's like saying "I don't agree with you being male."

Wait a sec, you say it's an innate quality of a person.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/innate

But you give me grief because I supposedly brought up the "birth" thing?

I think the only person not making sense here is you.

#136 Edited by toast_burner (21135 posts) -

@capaho said:

@toast_burner said:

@Solaryellow said:

Where all of these lies come from is not a mystery, they come from religion. The Russian Orthodox Church is the driving force behind the draconian anti-gay laws in Russia. There is also a longstanding cultural mythology in Russia that being gay equates with effeminacy and weakness.

Religion was illegal in Russia for quite a long time. At the time when it was illegal to to religious, it was also illegal to be gay.

Doesn't make much sense to blame religion here.

#137 Edited by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

2. Possessed as an essential characteristic; inherent.

It's not "a birth thing." No one is born gay, just as no one is born straight. It is, however, innate. Nothing about it being innte means that it is "a birth thing."

#138 Edited by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@thegerg said:

It's not "a birth thing." No one is born gay, just as no one is born straight. It is, however, innate. Nothing about it being innte means that it is "a birth thing."

If it's so innate, why can people change it then?

No one is born straight, but everyone's anatomy is born/created for straight relationships. (breeding)

#139 Edited by deeliman (2249 posts) -

@thegerg said:

No one is born straight, but everyone's anatomy is born/created for straight relationships. (breeding)

You can't change it...

#140 Posted by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"If it's so innate, why can people change it then?"

There is no legitimate science or research that suggests that they can.

"No one is born straight, but everyone's anatomy is born/created for straight relationships. (breeding)"

No one is born walking, but everyone's anatomy is born/created with legs and feet.(FYI, penises and vaginas are used in gay relationships too.)

#141 Posted by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"No one is born straight, but everyone's anatomy is born/created for straight relationships. (breeding)"

No one is born walking, but everyone's anatomy is born/created with legs and feet.(FYI, penises and vaginas are used in gay relationships too.)

- When I say "change" I mean I know people who have turned gay or turned straight and were content with it. If it's something so internal/innate like everyone says, then why do these changes happen? (I am not talking about bisexual)

- I have a few reasons why I don't agree with homosexuality, too many to list and bore people on here with. The main one probably would be to me it doesn't seem natural. I do not understand what you mean by penis/vagina in gay relationships.

#142 Edited by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

@thegerg said:

To a certain extent I suppose its true to say that people aren't born straight, in the sense that little kids don't really have a sexuality. I obviously can't speak for everyone but upon reaching puberty is was readily apparent I was attracted to women in a sexual way. Pretty sure for a gay guy he would just experience the same thing but be attracted to dudes instead of chicks.

#143 Posted by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@thegerg said:

- When I say "change" I mean I know people who have turned gay or turned straight and were content with it. If it's something so internal/innate like everyone says, then why do these changes happen? (I am not talking about bisexual)

- I have a few reasons why I don't agree with homosexuality, too many to list and bore people on here with. The main one probably would be to me it doesn't seem natural. I do not understand what you mean by penis/vagina in gay relationships.

" When I say "change" I mean I know people who have turned gay or turned straight and were content with it."

There are numerous ways in which people change over time. Their bodies grow and change, their attitudes and temperaments change. If someone changes from being 5'6" to 5'10" and are content with it does this mean that they can "change" their height?

"why do these changes happen?"

I'm not a doctor or biologist, I don't know.

"The main one probably would be to me it doesn't seem natural."

Do you not agree with houses or computers? Those are certainly less natural than 2 people being attracted to each other.

" I do not understand what you mean by penis/vagina in gay relationships."

You argued that homosexuality is unnatural because people are (in general) naturally anatomically equipped to take part in heterosexual acts. Those people are equally naturally anatomically equipped to take part in homosexual acts.

#144 Posted by toast_burner (21135 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Considering you know very little about the basics of sexuality, I'm not surprised you don't understand the more complicated parts such as identifying a sexuality.

Someone can say they are straight and believe it, while actually being completely gay. This actually happens to a lot of gay people. They don't change sexuality, they just change what they identify as.

#145 Posted by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@Ace6301: I agree, though I might not go as far as saying it's exactly the same. Social stigma and cues would likely impact the sexual development of a young guy person very differently than a straight one. That really has nothing to do with the convo, though so feel free to ignore this post.

#146 Posted by FelipeInside (25042 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Those people are equally naturally anatomically equipped to take part in homosexual acts.

I am naturally equipped to bash the life out of someone, doesn't make it right. Same goes with two men inserting their penises into each other etc.

No idea what you mean by computers. Those are tools humans use to live.

But this is getting derailed. Like I said before, I'm not here to convince anyone.

#147 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Ace6301: I agree, though I might not go as far as saying it's exactly the same. Social stigma and cues would likely impact the sexual development of a young guy person very differently than a straight one. That really has nothing to do with the convo, though so feel free to ignore this post.

Yeah I was going to include the social stigma thing impacting those who have feelings of sexualities that aren't "the norm" but I feel at the base level someone being repressed in such a way would still be aware of their sexuality deep down but choose to lie to themselves and others. I could be wrong about that and if anyone went through that stigma, and remembers those feelings around early puberty, and wants to correct me then go right ahead.

#148 Posted by CyberLips (1616 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@deeliman said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Pfft, noob

I'm a black, female, gay, transgender, muslim, atheist.

COME AT ME, BRO

How can you be a muslin and an atheist? :P

#149 Edited by thegerg (14413 posts) -

@FelipeInside: You're also naturally equipped to have heterosexual relationships. Why is one more wrong than the other?

The point about computers is that you think homosexuality is wrong because it is unnatural. Are computers somehow less unnatural than sexual attraction?

#150 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7691 posts) -

Good for them. I'm glad more states are making the push.