Illinois Legalizes Gay Marriage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

Do you always call people "uneducated" when they have a different opinion than yours?

No, only when they show a lack of understanding in the subject.

Also I didn't say you were uneducated, I said you were uneducated in the subject of human sexuality. Which isn't your fault as it is not included in the curriculum.

How can I show a lack of understanding in the subject when all I said was I didn't agree with it?

#52 Posted by toast_burner (21131 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

Do you always call people "uneducated" when they have a different opinion than yours?

No, only when they show a lack of understanding in the subject.

Also I didn't say you were uneducated, I said you were uneducated in the subject of human sexuality. Which isn't your fault as it is not included in the curriculum.

How can I show a lack of understanding in the subject when all I said was I didn't agree with it?

Why don't you explain what it is you disagree with and why. Disagreement means holding a different opinion, sexuality is not an opinion.

#53 Edited by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@thegerg said:

How else would I say I don't agree with it?

There is no other way, it just doesn't make sense.

Doesn't make sense to disagree with homosexuality or the actual sentence doesn't make sense in the correct terminology?

Neither makes sense.

The sentence makes total sense, and is used correctly. You don't agree with the CONTEXT of the sentence therefore personally think it doesn't make sense.

Do you mean that you find homosexuality to be morally wrong?

#54 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

Why don't you explain what it is you disagree with and why. Disagreement means holding a different opinion, sexuality is not an opinion.

You said I am uneducated in this subject so why would you want to know my reasons?

I disagree with homosexuality, simple. Will I die if they legalize gay marriage?, nope.... there are a lot of things I disagree with that I have to live with.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me, I simply said legalize it already because I am tired of seeing it everywhere.

#55 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@FelipeInside: I think what they're trying to say is that sexual orientation is not something one chooses. There is a lot of research evidence these days to suggest that there is a genetic predisposition for sexual orientation, it's not something one chooses nor is it something one can change. To suggest otherwise is ignorant at best and cruel at worst. In your case, it makes as much sense to say that you disagree with being blond or being Bolivian as it does to say that you disagree with a person's sexual orientation.

#56 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

You said I am uneducated in this subject so why would you want to know my reasons?

I disagree with homosexuality, simple. Will I die if they legalize gay marriage?, nope.... there are a lot of things I disagree with that I have to live with.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me, I simply said legalize it already because I am tired of seeing it everywhere.

what are you disagreeing with?

#57 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside: I think what they're trying to say is that sexual orientation is not something one chooses. There is a lot of research evidence these days to suggest that there is a genetic predisposition for sexual orientation, it's not something one chooses nor is it something one can change. To suggest otherwise is ignorant at best and cruel at worst. In your case, it makes as much sense to say that you disagree with being blond or being Bolivian as it does to say that you disagree with a person's sexual orientation.

Well I guess that's where I disagree. I don't believe it's a birth thing, just like I don't believe people are born killers. If it's something "one can't change" then why do some people turn gay or turn straight?

#58 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

@capaho said:

Well I guess that's where I disagree. I don't believe it's a birth thing, just like I don't believe people are born killers. If it's something "one can't change" then why do some people turn gay or turn straight?

If you're still having trouble understanding why people are calling you ignorant, re-read the above.

#59 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@capaho said:

they don't

#60 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

If you're still having trouble understanding why people are calling you ignorant, re-read the above.

They can call me whatever they want, but you haven't answered my question which I believe has a point.

#61 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

they don't

They don't?

I've heard of various people that do. I've even known people that do.

#62 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@capaho said:

You're the first one to bring up the "birth thing" that you seem to disagree with.

#63 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

they don't

They don't?

deciding to act or not act on homosexual urges, does not change their sexual orientation.

#64 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

You're the first one to bring up the "birth thing" that you seem to disagree with.

I didn't bring it up.

Capaho said "genetic predisposition for sexual orientation"

#65 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

@capaho said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

They can call me whatever they want, but you haven't answered my question which I believe has a point.

Gay people don't turn straight and straight people don't turn gay. People who cross back and forth between the two are bisexual. Even Florida's conservative Republican governor, Chris Christie, recently signed into law a bill that outlaws so-called sexual reorientation therapy because it doesn't work and it causes much stress and anxiety to those who are subjected to it.

Then there is the old joke, what's the difference between a straight man and a bisexual? About three beers.

#66 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

I didn't bring it up.

You were the first one to bring up the "birth thing." Go back and re-read the posts if you need to. Cut the bullshit.

Or is it just that you're confusing genetic predisposition with some kind of a "birth thing"?

#67 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

they don't

They don't?

deciding to act or not act on homosexual urges, does not change their sexual orientation.

What do you mean? I know people that were homosexual and turned straight and lived happily ever after, and vice-versa. If it's true (like Capaho said) that it's a birth sexual orientation and cannot be changed, then these things wouldn't happen correct?

But they do, and that's why I don't agree it's a birth thing. My point is pretty simple really.

#69 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

they don't

They don't?

What do you mean? I know people that were homosexual and turned straight and lived happily ever after, and vice-versa. If it's true (like Capaho said) that it's a birth sexual orientation and cannot be changed, then these things wouldn't happen correct?

But they do, and that's why I don't agree it's a birth thing. My point is pretty simple really.

Again, you were the one that brought up anything about a "birth thing."

#70 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

@capaho said:

they don't

They don't?

Someone is a homosexual because they are sexually attracted to the same sex, it does not necessitate that they commit gay sex acts. It is also possible for an individual to be bisexual

#71 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I'm generally conservative on most issues, but I never have understood the vehement opposition to gay marriage. How 2 consenting adults decide to live their lives has literally no effect on anyone else in any way.

I never understood why gays wants legal recognition for marriage. No one is stopping you from walking into a church, and asking a preacher to do a ceremony.

Marriage shouldn't even be a legal matter. I want to marry a toaster for my 3% tax deduction.

#72 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@thegerg said:

I didn't bring it up.

You were the first one to bring up the "birth thing." Go back and re-read the posts if you need to. Cut the bullshit.

Or is it just that you're confusing genetic predisposition with some kind of a "birth thing"?

Nope, I just said I didn't agree with it and said legalize gay marriage already so I stop seeing it everywhere.

Capaho explained that according to some research it's a genetic thing (birth thing if you will) and cannot be changed.

I am not saying any bullshit.

"Capaho explained that according to some research it's a genetic thing"

Yes, but he didn't say a damn thing about "a birth thing." That was you. Are you really this ignorant? Do you not know the difference between genetics and birth?

#73 Posted by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Again, you were the one that brought up anything about a "birth thing."

No, I'm responding to the conversation I'm having wuth Capaho.

He originally said it was a genetic thing (a birth thing if you will).

Why are you concentrating so much on something so useless to the conversation? Who cares who brought it up.

#74 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm generally conservative on most issues, but I never have understood the vehement opposition to gay marriage. How 2 consenting adults decide to live their lives has literally no effect on anyone else in any way.

I never understood why gays wants legal recognition for marriage. No one is stopping you from walking into a church, and asking a preacher to do a ceremony.

Marriage shouldn't even be a legal matter. I want to marry a toaster for my 3% tax deduction.

because Marriage is a legal matter.

#75 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

But why do gays want it to be legally recognized? There's no reason other than a tax deduction. A piece of paper stating "You're not offical one person" does nothing.

#76 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Nope, I just said I didn't agree with it and said legalize gay marriage already so I stop seeing it everywhere.

Capaho explained that according to some research it's a genetic thing (birth thing if you will) and cannot be changed.

Yes, but he didn't say a damn thing about "a birth thing." That was you. Are you really this ignorant? Do you not know the difference between genetics and birth?

There is no need for insults just because you don't agree with another poster.

I can safely assume that what Capaho meant to explain is that some people are born homosexual, like they are born White, or blonde, and it's something they cannot change.

Again, you are nitpicking at useless things in the thread.

#78 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

But why do you want it to be legally recognized? There's no reason other than a tax deduction. A piece of paper stating "You're not offical one person" does nothing.

I believe there are other benefits to it as well, although some states grant similar rights to civil unions. But it's also an equality issue, why shouldn't their union be recognized the same as anyone else's

#79 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"Who cares who brought it up."

You're lying about who brought it up. It's either that or you're too dumb to understand the difference between someone being genetically predisposed to something and a person being born a certain way

My time is too valuable to be wasted on conversing with people that just want to throw insults, and therefore I am done conversing with you.

If you would like to continue the conversation in a more adult way, let us know.

#80 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

Your anecdotal comments are not supported by the abundance of evidence that exists on both sexual orientation and the so-called sexual reorientation therapy that has been thoroughly debunked. Some gay people may be coerced into acting as if they've changed their sexual orientation, particularly if they're in an environment that is heavily influenced by religious zealotry, but it just doesn't happen. Anyone who can cross such lines with relative ease is more likely bisexual.

#81 Edited by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@thegerg said:

There is no need for insults just because you don't agree with another poster.

I can safely assume that what Capaho meant to explain is that some people are born homosexual, like they are born White, or blonde, and it's something they cannot change.

Again, you are nitpicking at useless things in the thread.

I'm not insulting anyone. Do you know what the word ignorant means? It just means that you don't know something.

"I can safely assume that what Capaho meant to explain is that some people are born homosexual"

1-That's not what he said. You can assume anything, it doesn't make it true.

2-If that's what he meant then he's wrong too.

3-Lying and saying that someone else brought up "a birth thing" doesn't help your argument. It simply makes you look more ignorant.

#82 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6021 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

But why do you want it to be legally recognized? There's no reason other than a tax deduction. A piece of paper stating "You're not offical one person" does nothing.

You are away that without the right for same-sex couples to get married it completely fucks with them more than just a tax deduction right? Marriage also has implications with adoption, healthcare benefits, taxes, power of attorney, wills, medical visits, and a whole host of other issues right? Not even civil unions allow for all the rights of marriage. There have been far too many homosexual couples who haven't been able to visit a loved one in the hospital or have legal custody over a child because they could be married. It is far more than a tax deduction.

#83 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I believe there are other benefits to it as well, although some states grant similar rights to civil unions. But it's also an equality issue, why shouldn't their union be recognized the same as anyone else's

You might get a discount on insurance, but there's no/little real benefits to marriage.

I still don't understand the push for gays getting "equality" when realistically they're not obtaining anything in return. They want equality they need to push an anti-prejudice gay agenda when it comes to employment. I remember when I was in Puerto Rico and I saw a sign that said "We don't Hire F*** ", that's where their attention needs to be.

It's perfectly legal in the United States to discriminate against sexuality; that's something that needs attention. Not this "I want a fabulous fiesta tooo".

#84 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"Who cares who brought it up."

You're lying about who brought it up. It's either that or you're too dumb to understand the difference between someone being genetically predisposed to something and a person being born a certain way

My time is too valuable to be wasted on conversing with people that just want to throw insults, and therefore I am done conversing with you.

If you would like to continue the conversation in a more adult way, let us know.

I didn't insult anyone. I proposed 2 scenarios, one of which has to be true.

1-You're lying.

OR

2-You're too dumb to understand what's been explained to you.

#85 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

You are away that without the right for same-sex couples to get married it completely fucks with them more than just a tax deduction right? Marriage also has implications with adoption, healthcare benefits, taxes, power of attorney, wills, medical visits, and a whole host of other issues right? Not even civil unions allow for all the rights of marriage. There have been far too many homosexual couples who haven't been able to visit a loved one in the hospital or have legal custody over a child because they could be married. It is far more than a tax deduction.

even if it was just a tax deduction, you would be saying that one relationship is more deserving of government credit than another. Which is wrong

#86 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

@Fightingfan: I think you should be allowed to marry a toaster.

#87 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

You can do some of those things without marriage.

I have power of attorney of my mother, and a family friend. They can also claim me on their insurance if they need be. Marriage wouldn't fix anything in regards to a hospital situation as heterosexual couples who aren't married don't have that issue.

#88 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

even if it was just a tax deduction, you would be saying that one relationship is more deserving of government credit than another. Which is wrong

I'm not saying one is more important; I'm saying there's more important social inequality matters that the gay community should be tackling like the example of not getting a job simply because you're a man who likes other men.

#89 Edited by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I have power of attorney of my mother, and a family friend. They can also claim me on their insurance if they need be. Marriage wouldn't fix anything in regards to a hospital situation as heterosexual couples who aren't married don't have that issue.

Actually you do, there is restricted visitation in hospitals to family members

#90 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@capaho said:

Thanks, if only America wasn't so closed minded.

#91 Edited by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm not saying one is more important; I'm saying there's more important social inequality matters that the gay community should be tackling like the example of not getting a job simply because you're a man who likes other men.

well there are laws in place to prevent such discrimination. But I'm not gay, so I'm not going to dictate what they should or shouldn't find important

#92 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@capaho said:

Thanks, if only America wasn't so closed minded.

You might not want to consummate that marriage

#93 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Yeah there is a little obstacles. I can give the example of when my sister married, and my mother couldn't see her in the hospital as she didn't have the same name.

That's more of an issue with hospital policy. What are they going to do when people start keeping their maiden names, or doing that weird hybrid where they infuse both names together.

The issue in my opinion is...

Marriage has no business being the governments business, and I want to marry a toaster if gays can marry.

#94 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

A bill was just passed by the Senate and sent to the House that adds sexual orientation to the list of human characteristics that cannot be used to justify job discrimination, but the illustrious Speaker, John Boehner, has said he will not allow it to go to the House floor for a vote because it would ban job discrimination against gay people, and he wants employers to be able to use their religious convictions to decide whether or not they want to discriminate in job hiring.

#95 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@capaho said:
@Fightingfan said:

A bill was just passed by the Senate and sent to the House that adds sexual orientation to the list of human characteristics that cannot be used to justify job discrimination, but the illustrious Speaker, John Boehner, has said he will not allow it to go to the House floor for a vote because it would ban job discrimination against gay people, and he wants employers to be able to use their religious convictions to decide whether or not they want to discriminate in job hiring.

I wonder if that's legal grounds to not hire blacks too since slavery was OK in the bronze age.

#96 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

@Fightingfan said:

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Yeah there is a little obstacles. I can give the example of when my sister married, and my mother couldn't see her in the hospital as she didn't have the same name.

That's more of an issue with hospital policy. What are they going to do when people start keeping their maiden names, or doing that weird hybrid where they infuse both names together.

The issue in my opinion is...

Marriage has no business being the governments business, and I want to marry a toaster if gays can marry.

Well the government being involved in marriage would be a separate, larger issue. And while it remains governmental business, then gay people will continue to fight for equal rights. And I guess if the toaster can consent, then go for it

#97 Posted by Aljosa23 (24300 posts) -

Gay and transgender threads are a nice litmus test to see who is or isn't an idiot. :>

#98 Posted by lostrib (31568 posts) -

@capaho said:
@Fightingfan said:

Fucking Boehner! Go cry about something you God Damn Oompa Loompa

#99 Posted by dave123321 (33347 posts) -

@Aljosa23: I avoid the transgendered threads because they have been filled with general awfulness in the past

#100 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

And I guess if the toaster can consent, then go for it

If people can have relations with animals legally I don't see how my request for marriage equality to inanimate objects is any less crazy. At least I'm not hurting anyone/anything : P