If your baby was gonna be born with down syndrome, would you want an Abortion?

  • 81 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) 11 months, 6 days ago

Poll: If your baby was gonna be born with down syndrome, would you want an Abortion? (54 votes)

Yes. I can't raise a child with down syndrome..it's just too hard. 69%
No. I'd be a man and raise the child as i think abortion is wrong and people are lazy to take responsibility! 24%
No but i wouldn't oppose anyone who would 7%

let's see if people would

#1 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

No, I would love the individual as much as a "normal" person.

Though, I would discuss with my wife if we have the ability to attend to someone who needs extra help.

To be honest..., it wouldn't even take any more effort than raising a "normal child".

My step brother joined the military to help raise his younger brother who was mentally retarded, and to this day is able to provide for: Himself, wife, and his brother with the salary of a retired E-9 (army).

I'm not sure if Uncle Sam helps my brother at all with watching the younger, but I do know he was attending a type of day care for other "children".

#2 Edited by Blabadon (26670 posts) -

No.

Is it even possible to predict that though?

#3 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

No.

Is it even possible to predict that though?

Yeah, amniocentesis. You can test chromosomes disorders via genome.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (26670 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

@Blabadon said:

No.

Is it even possible to predict that though?

Yeah, amniocentesis. You can test chromosomes disorders via genome.

Neat, science has come so far.

#5 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

TC, why don't you ever give your answer to your questions?

#6 Posted by hippiesanta (9902 posts) -

if you choose abortion ...... u should cut ur genital at the first place

#7 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

if you choose abortion ...... u should cut ur genital at the first place

why?

#8 Edited by hippiesanta (9902 posts) -

because it suppose to make people pee or produce babies

#9 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

because it suppose to make people pee or produce babies

wut?

#10 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

Yes. Honestly, I know some people would think it selfish...but I would spare myself and my future wife 10-12 years of HARD work and sacrifices I can't even imagine.


#11 Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) -

because i normally like to start discussion as opposed to speak :) but i guess i can give my input before i make the topic too...

#12 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10191 posts) -

lol @ those who make it look like it's about the parents and their love for heir offspring. it's the most selfish reason on which you let a human being enter this world and suffer for the rest of their lives.

#13 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

@VaguelyTagged said:

lol @ those who make it look like it's about the parents and their love for heir offspring. it's the most selfish reason on which you let a human being enter this world and suffer for the rest of their lives.

And yea, this too. Some people just can't bring themselves to admit it, but having down syndrome is hugely disadvantageous. It also makes the child prone to bullying and an extremely hard life.

#14 Edited by plageus900 (1084 posts) -

No.

I'd wait until it was born and then sacrifice it to Lord Belial.

#15 Edited by GazaAli (23019 posts) -

No, but I'd sure be praying for one to happen on its own. Raising kids is hard and a struggle on its own, adding to it a mental/psychological disability will turn your entire life to hell. I can't do it. Some people have it within them to manage, I know I don't. I know some close people whose kids were born with a syndrome that causes extreme muscle atrophy. I don't recall the exact name of the genetic disorder, but the gist of it is the muscles' of those who have it never fully develop and then start to degenerate as they grow up and that pretty much happens from the onset of their lives. So by the time they're 6-8 years old they can no longer walk and become in need of a wheelchair. They spend some more time in this agony until their heart, by virtue of being a muscle too, gives up and they die. They almost never make it past puberty. Ever since those couple had the two of their kids that have this disorder, they have been heavily depressed and their emotional and psychological well being have been severely compromised. I pray for them, it breaks my heart seeing them like this and seeing the way they look at their sick kids.

#17 Edited by ShadowJax04 (3346 posts) -

Yes, of course I would. I would spare my unborn child the pain of living with Downs for the rest of their life. It's not about me, it's about my kid. I wouldn't even want a kid for selfish reasons. To take an example from the pet world, I don't look at my dog as my pet. I know I'm legally it's owner but I bought this dog because I knew I could give it a better home than it previously had.

I have to be the the master and the alpha for my dog but I certainly didn't buy him for selfish reasons, like just because I love dogs and want to own one. I do want to own dogs, but I wouldn't unless I knew I could give it my best and it wasn't better off ELSEWHERE. In the same sense I will want what is going to be 'best' for my child, IE, not living with Downs. The abortion wouldnt' be about me, it'd be about my kid.

I know it's a complicated thing and some would argue that life itself is the most precious gift of all. But that's a little bit about how I personally stand on that.

But basically it's not me it's you.

#18 Posted by k--m--k (1016 posts) -

How I can Abort it if its already born?

#19 Edited by lamprey263 (24236 posts) -

I don't think I'm in any position to raise a normal child, let alone support a woman to raise the child if I should knock her up. It would seem equally challenging from my position. Anyhow, in the scope of things that can go wrong with a birth I guess down syndrome isn't as bad as say having a baby with no brain.

#20 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

yes I would

#21 Edited by Renevent42 (5326 posts) -

Yes, I wouldn't want to bring into the world a baby that will very likely suffer greatly and live a diminished life. If a I had a baby and didn't catch it of course I would love and raise him/her, but given the choice I def would abort. Anyways I voted 'Yes' even though the OP is clearly an ass with the reasoning.

#22 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Yes I would.

#23 Posted by redstorm72 (4588 posts) -

Yeah, I would, as long as it could be detected relatively early. Why would I intentionally have a child that will be extremely difficult to care for and will not be able to live a full life and healthy life? It may sound cold, but raising children is difficult enough without having to deal with severe mental/developmental disorders.

#24 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9861 posts) -

Yeah. I really dont have time for that.

But then again thats just me taking now... I dont know how I will be when and if that actually happens.

But thats one of the reasons I scared to have a kid, I dont want a "defected" child. What kind of life is that, both for the child and for the parents trying to raise it?

#25 Posted by pillarrocks (1320 posts) -

My family does foster care and we currently take care of an adult with Down Syndrome. The guy's nice but when he gets upset when you get after him or tell him to do something, he goes into these tantrums where he will scream for hours and just get aggressive. I am not really sure how it is taking care of something with Down Syndrome as a baby but I think it would be hard as these people would have a hard life as their life span is short and will need lots of care throughout their life. If I ever had a child and was told he/she was gonna grown being diagnosed with Down Syndrome, I would probably abort it. I just could not deal with the stress and the amount of patience you would need for raising a child with Down Syndrome.

#26 Posted by PonchoTaco (2175 posts) -

No, I wouldn't dream of it.

#27 Edited by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

How I can Abort it if its already born?

You can determine chromosome abnormalities prior to birth

#28 Posted by PonchoTaco (2175 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@k--m--k said:

How I can Abort it if its already born?

You can determine chromosome abnormalities prior to birth

How prior to birth?

#29 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

@lostrib said:

@k--m--k said:

How I can Abort it if its already born?

You can determine chromosome abnormalities prior to birth

How prior to birth?

someone said it above, but you can do an amniocentesis at around 16 weeks. But I believe there are a number of other tests to screen for down syndrome in the fetus

#30 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@chrisrooR said:

@VaguelyTagged said:

lol @ those who make it look like it's about the parents and their love for heir offspring. it's the most selfish reason on which you let a human being enter this world and suffer for the rest of their lives.

And yea, this too. Some people just can't bring themselves to admit it, but having down syndrome is hugely disadvantageous. It also makes the child prone to bullying and an extremely hard life.

@PonchoTaco said:

@lostrib said:

@k--m--k said:

How I can Abort it if its already born?

You can determine chromosome abnormalities prior to birth

How prior to birth?

Before fertilization, which is why testing your genome is generally seen as scary or unethical.

It can promote "baby shopping".

You can see abnormalities and characteristics within the sperm cells too.

For example,

If you want a male child you simply extract the larger-faster sperm. That's one example that I remember from bio, but there's many more for other specific characteristics.

#31 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

No keep me away from Down Syndrome people, I'm still traumatized when one stuck a half eaten biscuit in my underwear, while I was still wearing them. Abortion.

It's a sad thing and I pity them and all. I'm sure you can grow to love them and they can mean the world to much just as much and all that, but still.. Abortion please!

#32 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Yes,
A child with down syndrome will never be able to care for itself, sure, i might be around for 50-60 years of it's life, but then it'll be a 50 year old child who still can't take care of itself.

It would be cruel to not abort a child with down syndrome, as it'll never have a normal life.

#33 Edited by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

No I would not. Not even consider it.

I wonder how many pro-choice folks would actually give a second thought to aborting a fetus that would have Downs.

#34 Edited by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

No I would not. Not even consider it.

I wonder how many pro-choice folks would actually give a second thought to aborting a fetus that would have Downs.

I would imagine quite a large portion of them would

#35 Edited by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jimkabrhel said:

No I would not. Not even consider it.

I wonder how many pro-choice folks would actually give a second thought to aborting a fetus that would have Downs.

I would imagine quite a large portion of them would

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

#36 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

@jimkabrhel said:

@lostrib said:

@jimkabrhel said:

No I would not. Not even consider it.

I wonder how many pro-choice folks would actually give a second thought to aborting a fetus that would have Downs.

I would imagine quite a large portion of them would

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

explain

#37 Edited by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

A pro-life person thinking about aborting a Downs-syndrome fetus. There was a typo in my post. Sorry about that.

#38 Edited by RadecSupreme (4683 posts) -

I'm only for abortion before 3 months. If the kid is detected to have the disorder after 3 months, then I would not ask my female partner to abort it and we'd just have to raise him/her and do our best I suppose.

#39 Posted by curono (7710 posts) -

@chrisrooR said:

@VaguelyTagged said:

lol @ those who make it look like it's about the parents and their love for heir offspring. it's the most selfish reason on which you let a human being enter this world and suffer for the rest of their lives.

And yea, this too. Some people just can't bring themselves to admit it, but having down syndrome is hugely disadvantageous. It also makes the child prone to bullying and an extremely hard life.

And most of times, they are dependent on the father or mother for the rest of their lives...

#40 Posted by BranKetra (48785 posts) -

I will take the high path and say no.

#41 Edited by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

Such a rough topic. My brain says yes but my heart says no.

#42 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9194 posts) -

Yes.

#43 Posted by playmynutz (6076 posts) -

I'm afraid of abortion supporters because killing babies sounds psycho to me

#44 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

Before fertilization, which is why testing your genome is generally seen as scary or unethical.

LOL no, that's not how Down syndrome works. Its not something that's carried on like that or detected before birth. Its because aging spindle fibers during meiosis start failing causing unequal separation of the chromosomes. 'The more you know'.

ANYONE can produce a child with down syndrome.

#45 Edited by themajormayor (25855 posts) -

Maybe

#46 Posted by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

Nope. My aunt has downs, she's almost 50 and living fine

#47 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@Fightingfan said:

Before fertilization, which is why testing your genome is generally seen as scary or unethical.

LOL no, that's not how Down syndrome works. Its not something that's carried on like that or detected before birth. Its because aging spindle fibers during meiosis start failing causing unequal separation of the chromosomes. 'The more you know'.

ANYONE can produce a child with down syndrome.

I meant physical characteristics not down syndrome. If you're testing your genome chances are you're the parent, and no the offspring to see if you're genetics predisposed to mental retardation.

I agree anyone can have a child with down syndrome.

#49 Posted by sailor232 (4835 posts) -

Yes I would abort it, for many of the reason above, then I would have myself "fixed" so that that situation would never happen again. I would adopt after that.

#50 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14470 posts) -

Hard to say, if I did I'd probably feel like a total piece of shit.