If you listen to a song...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

....and then later find out it has religious meaning behind it, does it change your opinion of the song?

I'll give an example. The other day I was listening to a song, only to later find out the band is a Christian rock band. I understand now that the lyrics are SUPPOSED to represent Jesus and the Christian faith, but prior to finding out the band is Christian I understood the lyrics to mean something completely different. Now that the lyrics are in religious context for me, they're lame; has this ever happened to you?

GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 GmasterRED
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts
No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.
Astrapsody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Astrapsody
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

I'm atheist. No. You know the artists interpretation isn't the only valid one, right?

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.

Since when in the hell does being Christian have anything to do with morality?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Yes, but it only increases my like of the song. I suppose being a Christian has something to do with that. However, I do not remember ever listening to a song and not realizing that it has Christian components.
higgydiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 higgydiggy
Member since 2006 • 984 Posts

It's just a song I don't believe in it cause I listen to it. I have Number of the Beast- Iron Maiden and Alive- POD on my laptop so yeah. NOTHING.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Nope, not at all.
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

I don't pay attention to lyrics, only the words if that makes sense. Lyrics to me are important in the sense that it creates beautiful sounding words for the vocalist to sing (or simply syllables for less euphonic forms of singing), not that I pay special attention to the meaning. If the meaning of the song is blatantly obvious then I will catch on to it of course, but if the lyrics are deeply poetical or something then I don't really care. All that matters to me is good singing, which includes carefully choosing words that sound good in succession or simply on their own.

dann14v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dann14v
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.gameguy6700

Do you know what religion is?:lol:

ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ex-mortis

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.dann14v

Atheism != amorality (or even immorality). Christian people generally do adhere to the morals of that religion, but that doesn't mean people that aren't Christian don't have a sense of morality.

viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts

Of course I'll still like it. I'm not religious, but many musicians have written great songs when inspired by faith. I loved Sixpence None the Richer before I knew they were a Christian band, and I still do. As long as it's not too overtly religious, I have no problem with it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
When I found out One Rode to Asa Bay by Bathory was about how the Christians invaded Scandinavia and converted them through torture and force - the song doubled in awesomeness.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I listen to metal for the most part, so the only religious lyrical undertones in my music are for the most part anti-religious or based on obscure or self-created beliefs. There's not really any serious Christian/Islamic/etc. metal artists out there.

I do actually like when metal bands throw their own "religious" or philosophical ideas out there though.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.dann14v

"Morality" is a very subjective thing. Religions take that to an extreme by creating lots of trivial "moral obligations". If you're a Jew then it's immoral to eat shellfish. If you're a Muslim it's immoral to not pray to Mecca when you're supposed to. If you're Hindu then it's immoral to harm a cow. Obviously none of these things matter to anyone who isn't a part of the religion. On top of that, one look at the world's prisons is enough to tell you that being religious hardly precludes a person from committing acts like rape, murder, and theft. In reality, being religious has nothing to do with being moral. People will do what they do regardless of what they believe in.
D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
Yes, but it only increases my like of the song. I suppose being a Christian has something to do with that. However, I do not remember ever listening to a song and not realizing that it has Christian components.mindstorm
Out of curiousity, what would your reaction be if you found out a song that seemed Christian actually wasn't? I know it's probably not a common scenario, but I do recall an instance when a Christian friend of my mother's became quite irate after I pointed out that at the end of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord it actually goes "Hare Krishna" rather than hallelujah. Totally ruined the song for her. (It was pretty hilarious though. I know I'm a bastard. :P)
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ex-mortis

I listen to metal for the most part, so the only religious lyrical undertones in my music are for the most part anti-religious or based on obscure or self-created beliefs. There's not really any serious Christian/Islamic/etc. metal artists out there.

I do actually like when metal bands throw their own "religious" or philosophical ideas out there though.

Saturos3091

Depends what you mean by "serious", although Believer and Incubus are two bands that use Christian lyrics that I can immediately recall. I don't know if they are extremely devout or anything, but they are at least Christians and "serious" about their music.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#17 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Not at all.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts

No, while atheist I have no quarrel with others expressing Christian values, and I really like religious imagery as well. Actually, now that I think about it I really enjoy when people are faithful, I don't know why, it's just very inspiring. Of course barirng discriminatory or violent actions, etc...

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
No. I don't give a crap. if I like the song, I like it. Undertones mean nothing to me. I listen to a lot of music by religious bands, I'll take it to mean whatever I want it to mean. Music is for interpretation, even if a song was written about something specific, if it makes you think of something else then just roll with it.
enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

Not really. When singers go all anti-Christian to be "TEH BR00TLZ LOLOL HAIL SATAN" it annoys me, but if it's not blatantly attacking anything for no reason I'm fine with it. Albeit I've been listening to a fair amount of Slayer lately...but oh well, Kerry King's a dumbass anyways. =P

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

When I found out One Rode to Asa Bay by Bathory was about how the Christians invaded Scandinavia and converted them through torture and force - the song doubled in awesomeness. KHAndAnime
Those who did not pay the one coin

Of four to man of new God

Whipped was twenty and put in chains then locked

By their neck to the log

And so all of Asa bay did build

A house of the cross

Every hour of daylight they did sweat

Limbs ached because faith does cost

A lot of Norwegian Black Metallers had a pretty crappy grasp on English; not Quorthon. Epic, epic stuff.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
Nope. Thankfully I don't work that way.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Yes, but it only increases my like of the song. I suppose being a Christian has something to do with that. However, I do not remember ever listening to a song and not realizing that it has Christian components.D_Battery
Out of curiousity, what would your reaction be if you found out a song that seemed Christian actually wasn't? I know it's probably not a common scenario, but I do recall an instance when a Christian friend of my mother's became quite irate after I pointed out that at the end of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord it actually goes "Hare Krishna" rather than hallelujah. Totally ruined the song for her. (It was pretty hilarious though. I know I'm a bastard. :P)

Post modern interpretation ftw!

But not really. I am very analytical about such things and even if there is a hint of disagreement theologically with what I believe and the intended meaning of a song I have issues with singing it. I say this because I mostly use music for worship purposes. However, that does not mean I cannot appreciate the talent of a musician, I just may not enjoy the music as much without the spiritual component.

Though, do not think my way of thinking about this is considered normal. Only in the past year have I begun to care about music at all being that I finally found some artists that I truly like. Example here.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
As long as the lyrics aren't overly preachy, I'm fine with it.
bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

I listen to music with secular ears. There are a few artists that I like that have religious influences in their lyrics. Despite the undertones they are beautiful lyrics.

Sort of like the Bible. I don't follow any of it in a non secular sense, but it is a goodread.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

I really don't care either way. I listen yo music for the music, not the lyrics, so if I already like a song and then find out the lyrics have christian, buddhist, satanist, or any other kind of religious meaning, I'll still like it regardless.

I only like lyrics because they let me sing along to a song I like, but I couldn't care less what the message in a song is.

GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GmasterRED
[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.gameguy6700

Uh.....since around 1 AD or so. Seriosuly, people who are Christian tend to have higher moral standerds then everyone else.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="Saturos3091"]

ex-mortis

Depends what you mean by "serious", although Believer and Incubus are two bands that use Christian lyrics that I can immediately recall. I don't know if they are extremely devout or anything, but they are at least Christians and "serious" about their music.

Crimson Thorn and Antestor are some others, but I'm not a huge fan of their music

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 black_cat19

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"]No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.GmasterRED

Uh.....since around 1 AD or so. Seriosuly, people who are Christian tend to have higher moral standerds then everyone else.

:|

:lol:

GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GmasterRED
On top of that, one look at the world's prisons is enough to tell you that being religious hardly precludes a person from committing acts like rape, murder, and theft.gameguy6700
I'm sure if you look at the number of religious people who were religious at the time of their crime veruses non religious, the rate will be much higher for the non religious ones.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I rarely care what the lyrics say anyways.

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
i listen to music with lyrics i can't understand for 2 reasons: so i can multitask better, and so i don't 'risk' getting brainwashed by someone else's thoughts.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

I really dont care what a song is about if its at least a good song.

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts

Kinda, but I tend to interpret a song to a personal meaning if it is possible. Great examples are U2's stuff.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
I don't care unless its really preachy.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

It's very unlikely that I'll like any Christian rock song just because most Christian rock follows a musical template I just happen to find very boring, but there are a few songs with Christian themes in the lyrics that I enjoy just fine. For some reason all that's coming to mind right now is Turn It Off and Let the Flames Begin by Paramore :P, but I'm sure there's a lot more.

But, yeah, religion in music doesn't bother me at all. An artist is going to sing about what he/she is passionate about, and if that happens to be religion and they can make a good song out of it, whatever.

DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#37 DiabeticDood
Member since 2005 • 4331 Posts
Usually it doesn't but if it's to preachy I get sick of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
When that happens, I feel betrayed. It's like entering a relationship with a woman you like only to find out that she's only into you because she's trying to convert you to her religion. I want to like songs with religious means, such as The Fray's "You Found Me" or most anything by Flyleaf, but it's really difficult without feeling that I'm contradicting the notions that I base my life upon.

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]Seriosuly, people who are Christian tend to have higher moral standerds then everyone else. black_cat19

It's true. Christians are more likely to believe that abortion, homosexuality, and fornication are immoral than most people besides perhaps Muslims, but Muslims don't threaten to kill people to proselytize. Christians are definitely more restrictive when it comes to their morals. If you don't think that's a higher standard, but a standard carried out to an extreme that doesn't need to be, then you can believe that.
iBear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 iBear-
Member since 2010 • 1092 Posts

When that happens, I feel betrayed. It's like entering a relationship with a woman you like only to find out that she's only into you because she's trying to convert you to her religion. I want to like songs with religious means, such as The Fray's "You Found Me" or most anything by Flyleaf, but it's really difficult without feeling that I'm contradicting the notions that I base my life upon. [QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]Seriosuly, people who are Christian tend to have higher moral standerds then everyone else. Genetic_Code

It's true. Christians are more likely to believe that abortion, homosexuality, and fornication are immoral than most people besides perhaps Muslims, but Muslims don't threaten to kill people to proselytize. Christians are definitely more restrictive when it comes to their morals. If you don't think that's a higher standard, but a standard carried out to an extreme that doesn't need to be, then you can believe that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "betrayed" but i agree for the most part

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 black_cat19

When that happens, I feel betrayed. It's like entering a relationship with a woman you like only to find out that she's only into you because she's trying to convert you to her religion. I want to like songs with religious means, such as The Fray's "You Found Me" or most anything by Flyleaf, but it's really difficult without feeling that I'm contradicting the notions that I base my life upon. [QUOTE="black_cat19"]

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]

Genetic_Code

Now that you mention it, I think I completely misunderstood that statement; I thought it was something along the lines of "people without religion lack morality; the only way for people to have morals is to believe in god". I honestly have no idea why I read it like that... :?

EDIT: Wait, after re-reading the whole quote chain, I remember why I took his statement to mean that. It was because of this previous statement:

No, I just like it better. I'm no Christian, but it indicates that the artists have morality. But the lyrics do seem lamer after the fact, that's true.GmasterRED

Particularly the part in bold.

navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
This happens to me quite a bit now that I think of it.. There are a few songs I've listened to and jammed to, only to learn it means something completely different.. Like your example of the Christian rock. It's kinda odd, but I get past it if I really enjoy the song.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Nope, still like it just the same.