if you became a vegetable would you want to keep living?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

what would you do if you randomly woke up in a hospital with no memory of what happened to you and you couldnt talk or move any part of your body. i think my brother would already know to casually walk into my hospital room and pull out a silenced pistol and shoot me in the head without me even asking him to

#2 Edited by thegerg (14862 posts) -

I don't know. In many cases those in a vegetative state are not conscious or aware of what's going on. In a case like that it would be impossible for me to want anything.

#3 Posted by PresidentLogan (245 posts) -

Similar to the poster I would hope my family would put me out of my misery. I wouldn't want to be a burden to my family. They wouldn't think of me as that but it would be true.

#4 Posted by LordQuorthon (5287 posts) -

Only if I get to be an eggplant. They are so purple and versatile!

#5 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

no

#6 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

just yank out my brain and nervous system and preserve it til there is tech to fix me

#7 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10129 posts) -

why would i? what kind of question is that?

#8 Edited by Born_Lucky (1617 posts) -

If you're alive and not in pain, you would not want to die.

You can say you would want to all day long, but if someone came into your room and said, "I'm going to kill you now", you'd be thinking, " I hope someone stops this crazy person from killing me"

#9 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

It doesn't seem like a life worth living.

#10 Posted by tocool340 (20487 posts) -

Only if there was some way of fixing me (And i'm willing to try anything as long as i can use my arms/hands effectively and be consciously aware of my surroundings after the surgery). Other than that, no....

#11 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (766 posts) -

Only if I have a nurse who stays with me over night and does the dirty with me.

#12 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

If you were a vegetable you wouldn't have an opinion because you wouldn't be conscious or aware. That's what it means when a person is referred to as a vegetable.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by Master_Live (14200 posts) -

My will would state my wishes depending on the chances, but in general: yank me.

#14 Edited by Iszdope (9679 posts) -

If I were broccoli, then yes.

#15 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I believe that I were confined to a hospital bed, and my body's vital functions were only being preserved by machines, with no chance of recovery, then I've already stopped living. Since accidents that would leave a person in such a condition usually happen with no advance notice, in lieu of a full-blown living will, I keep a signed and notarized slip of paper in my wallet, indicating that I should be unplugged and allowed to die with no hesitation, should something like that ever happen.

#16 Edited by Laihendi (5810 posts) -

It depends on what kind of vegetable.

#17 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

Yeah keep me living even as a vegetable, I don't want to give up even if I'm unaware

#18 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36782 posts) -

Nope
To me, that's a fate worse than death

#19 Edited by sukraj (22177 posts) -

@Laihendi said:

It depends on what kind of vegetable.

Nice one mate

#20 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

File:Christopher Walken at the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival.jpgRR

Maybe if I was a delicious vegetable... like uh, CARRAT, or eh... asPARagus