If natural selection is the mechanism for superiorty then those at the bottom

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

of society begging for help/money are those begging against the natural order of life.

Why should we give those at the bottom resources the bottom did not work for? The bottom will not ever provide resources for the future if they continue to beg so why keep giving them resources instead of providing the ones (the ones not on the bottom) who will use those resources to provide for future generations?

(Ones on the bottom would be the ones who beg on the corners or sleep on sidewalks).

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Because we are humans and we are above what normal animals consider instinct. We have choice, free will and at times, compassion. Be nice, help others.. or be a d*ck and don't help them. But if you ever find yourself in a bad situation don't expect someone to help you.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Because we are humans and we are above what normal animals consider instinct. We have choice, free will and at times, compassion. Be nice, help others.. or be a d*ck and don't help them. But if you ever find yourself in a bad situation don't expect someone to help you.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

of society begging for help/money are those begging against the natural order of life.

Why should we give those at the bottom resources the bottom did not work for? The bottom will not ever provide resources for the future if they continue to beg so why keep giving them resources instead of providing the ones (the ones not on the bottom) who will use those resources to provide for future generations?

(Ones on the bottom would be the ones who beg on the corners or sleep on sidewalks).

EagleEyedOne

your premise has nothing to do with your assertion.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

frannkzappa

What is my premise and assertion?
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"]

EagleEyedOne

i would hope that you would know.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

I am asking you just to clarify.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

TC doesn't have the slightest understanding of natural selection.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] What is my premise and assertion?EagleEyedOne

that seems rather pointless.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Adam-Sandler-movie-gameshow-host.png.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

I know what I posted but I am asking you to restate my premise and assertion in order to gauge my communications.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EagleEyedOne

worlock77
If you think this, then how does TC not have the slightest understanding of natural selection?
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] I am asking you just to clarify.EagleEyedOne

I know what I posted but I am asking you to restate my premise and assertion in order to gauge my communications.

well in general terms you are stating that a long term biological process somehow relates to human post industrial socioeconomics, which is quite a jump. A jump you have no way accounted for by the way.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

worlock77

This.  Natural selection has to do with the passing of inherited traits via procreation, being lazy (a dubious assumption to begin with) is not inherited.  In fact, if we're going to talk about procreation then the lower class is one of the most prolific at reproducing, and if we're going to talk about what's inherited then social class is most definitely passed down to children.  In a roundabout sort of way that kind of makes natural selection geared towards poverty (when you consider the final objection, that natural selection does not mean the best survives, it means what is best at reproducing survives).  Although that is a sort of natural selection that is engineered by the way society works and by people who support the status quo as far as social class is concerned, so in your own way you're supporting the spread of poverty.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

well in general terms you are stating that a long term biological process somehow relates to human post industrial socioeconomics, which is quite a jump. A jump you have no way accounted for by the way.

What long term biological process are you referring to?
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

EagleEyedOne

Natural selection is not the same thing as social darwinism. Natural selection is when animals' genes adapt to fit their environment over thousands of years. What you are talking about is behavioral. So you are saying that the poor should never be given the opportunity to improve themselves?

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] I know what I posted but I am asking you to restate my premise and assertion in order to gauge my communications.EagleEyedOne

natural selection. I described it as long term because it's effects take many generations to take hold on a species level.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

theone86

This.  Natural selection has to do with the passing of inherited traits via procreation, being lazy (a dubious assumption to begin with) is not inherited.  In fact, if we're going to talk about procreation then the lower class is one of the most prolific at reproducing, and if we're going to talk about what's inherited then social class is most definitely passed down to children.  In a roundabout sort of way that kind of makes natural selection geared towards poverty (when you consider the final objection, that natural selection does not mean the best survives, it means what is best at reproducing survives).  Although that is a sort of natural selection that is engineered by the way society works and by people who support the status quo as far as social class is concerned, so in your own way you're supporting the spread of poverty.

That cannot possibly be true in terms of human reproduction because the minority owns the majority of resources.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

natural selection. I described it as long term because it's effects take many generations to take hold on a species level.

The incremental steps of this long term biological process of natural selection we are talking about includes the elimination of the weak, does it not?
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] What long term biological process are you referring to?EagleEyedOne

The incremental steps of this long term biological process of natural selection we are talking about includes the elimination of the weak, does it not?

No, it involves the elimination of those unable to reproduce in successful numbers.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

No, it involves the elimination of those unable to reproduce in successful numbers.

That is false in that numbers of newborn are not a factor. Natural selection involves the elimination of organisms unable to survive efficiently in the environment they were born into.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Oiy...don't they teach biology in school still?

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] The incremental steps of this long term biological process of natural selection we are talking about includes the elimination of the weak, does it not?EagleEyedOne

That is false in that numbers of newborn are not a factor. Natural selection involves the elimination of organisms unable to survive efficiently in the environment they were born into.

might want to look at that definition again.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

Nope. Mutations enabled fish to walk on land.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] That is false in that numbers of newborn are not a factor. Natural selection involves the elimination of organisms unable to survive efficiently in the environment they were born into.EagleEyedOne

it is really not that simple

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] That is false in that numbers of newborn are not a factor. Natural selection involves the elimination of organisms unable to survive efficiently in the environment they were born into.EagleEyedOne

I'm at a loss.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EagleEyedOne

lostrib

How is it not that simple?
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EagleEyedOne

frannkzappa

I'm at a loss.

Explain your loss.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Nope. Mutations enabled fish to walk on land.EagleEyedOne

It's called an evolutionary tree for a reason, not an evolutionary line.  There wasn't just one mutation that made fish sprout legs and start walking on land.  And your understanding of natural selection is flawed, it has more to do with the inheritance of traits over time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Nope. Mutations enabled fish to walk on land.EagleEyedOne

I'm at a loss.

Explain your loss.

i don't think that will help.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

It's called an evolutionary tree for a reason, not an evolutionary line.  There wasn't just one mutation that made fish sprout legs and start walking on land.  And your understanding of natural selection is flawed, it has more to do with the inheritance of traits over time

It still begins with a mutation of an individual organism that leads to it's more efficient survival compared to organisms that are un-mutated in it's same group.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EagleEyedOne

I'm at a loss.

frannkzappa

Explain your loss.

Then you are not helping yourself.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Explain your loss.EagleEyedOne

Then you are not helping yourself.

In this case... i can live with that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] How is it not that simple?EagleEyedOne

It still begins with a mutation of an individual organism that leads to it's more efficient survival compared to organisms that are un-mutated in it's same group.

yes, but it relates to biology and genetics.  Your OP is more related to some sort of Social Darwinism.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EagleEyedOne

lostrib

yes, but it relates to biology and genetics.  Your OP is more related to some sort of Social Darwinism.

If my OP seems to relate more to some sort of Social Darwinism then I have miscommunicated. It should relate more toward pure Darwinism.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#36 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Is human civilization a natural part of the world?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] It still begins with a mutation of an individual organism that leads to it's more efficient survival compared to organisms that are un-mutated in it's same group.EagleEyedOne

If my OP seems to relate more to some sort of Social Darwinism then I have miscommunicated. It should relate more toward pure Darwinism.

You're trying to related biological theories dealing with evolution/genetics to society (politics, economics, etc), which is social darwinism

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 frannkzappa

Is human civilization a natural part of the world?BranKetra

I can only give a platonic answer, so i would say it is philosophically not. Only man can perceive forms and thus gain the understanding and of the surrounding world enough to form societies. societies which are based on concepts non perceivable by most of the natural world.

The tripartite theory of the soul also suggests a more complicated nature attributed to man which inherently leads to civilization. this "soul" sets man apart from all known life and the "natural world". And as civilization is inherent to man, which has shown it'self to be above nature in it's understanding it is also above nature.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EagleEyedOne

lostrib

You're trying to related biological theories dealing with evolution/genetics to society (politics, economics, etc), which is social darwinism

Social Darwinism is derived from biological theories.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] If my OP seems to relate more to some sort of Social Darwinism then I have miscommunicated. It should relate more toward pure Darwinism.EagleEyedOne

Good lord.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EagleEyedOne

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Is human civilization a natural part of the world?frannkzappa

I can only give a platonic answer, so i would say it is philosophically not. Only man can perceive forms and thus gain the understanding and of the surrounding world enough to form societies. societies which are based on concepts non perceivable by most of the natural world.

The tripartite theory of the soul also suggests a more complicated nature attributed to man which inherently leads to civilization. this "soul" sets man apart from all known life and the "natural world". And as civilization is inherent to man, which has shown it'self to be above nature in it's understanding it is also above nature.

Man and his soul is not above nature as man kills each other (war) and also kills his soul (suicide).
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

frannkzappa

Good lord.

oh god dammit.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Is human civilization a natural part of the world?EagleEyedOne

Man and his soul is not above nature as man kills each other (war) and also kills his soul (suicide).

that has nothing to do with what i said.

you also misinterpreted my use of the word "soul".

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

frannkzappa

What do you mean by that, what is a 'form'?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

you're assuming society, politics, and economy are parts of nature.  They are not.

Exiled_Badger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Exiled_Badger
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

EagleEyedOne
Not all of those people can help it. The bank could have foreclosed on their home, they could have been laid off from work. And we are above what you call "natural instinct." We have the ability to reason, which means we can reason why exactly helping someone may be a good thing. IMO, by helping a homeless person, you could have saved their life, and they could go on to find a cure for cancer. When you mention those at the "bottom," would you include babies? They are always begging, yet we still take care of them. For what reason? For life. We, as humans, tend to value life more than anything, so helping someone who is in need means helping them survive, and live.
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] Man and his soul is not above nature as man kills each other (war) and also kills his soul (suicide).lo_Pine

What do you mean by that, what is a 'form'?

you'll have to specify what "that" is.

A form refers to a perfect concept on which the world is based. it comes from Plato's Socratic dialogues and explain how humans can describe the universe using non physically existing "forms".the theory is now accepted by many of in the mathematical community. An example of a form would be the number 'Pi", A euclidean straight line. Numbers themselves, And even feelings such as love and happiness. The term platonic love refers to a moment in a relationship where one feels attachment in a permanent sense in a transitory world, catching a glimpse of the "form" love, which is unchanging.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="EagleEyedOne"] If my OP seems to relate more to some sort of Social Darwinism then I have miscommunicated. It should relate more toward pure Darwinism.EagleEyedOne

No, Social Darwinism is derived from, at best, woefully ignorant misinterpretations of biological theories.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

worlock77

No, Social Darwinism is derived from, at best, woefully ignorant misinterpretations of biological theories.

seriously do they not teach history or biology in school anymore? do people not have wikipedia? 

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EagleEyedOne

worlock77

If you believe social Darwinism is derived from at best of "woefully ignorant misinterpretations of biological theories" then you have a seriously flawed idea of both social Darwinism and biological theories if that is "the best" of what you can think of.