If God created us in own image...Perfection?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
By definition God is perfection. There is no other state or being that can be better. Given God is perfection and "God created humans in his own image" then every action by you or me that ever takes place is the most perfect action that could have ever occurred. Even when you want to eat more than you should (gluttony) or not be productive when you should (sloth) that is the most perfect it could have been. If you believe that God is perfect and he exists then you should be absolutely satisfied with anything that takes in your life. This results in a few implications: repenting for your 'sins' doesn't mean you denied perfection in the first place and two, believing in perfection is the most logical way to live your life. If you did not believe it then you live your life assuming it could be better if you did "this instead of that" when, if you were created In image of perfection nothing could possibly be better since you are a reflection of perfection-perfection in which no amount of action could make the occurrence of your being better.
#2 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
"God created humans in his own image"lo_Pine
Nope~
#3 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
How can one say they were made in God's image. If no-one has seen God :o
#4 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]How can one say they were made in God's image. If no-one has seen God :o

You don't have to se God only imagine that there is a notion of perfection. Perfection being a state that can create and do anything.
#5 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]How can one say they were made in God's image. If no-one has seen God :olo_Pine
You don't have to se God only imagine that there is a notion of perfection. Perfection being a state that can create and do anything.

Do you accept no human can see God?

#6 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]How can one say they were made in God's image. If no-one has seen God :oNibroc420

Yes. But just because God created us in his own image doesn't mean each part of his image has to realize the whole. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
#7 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] You don't have to se God only imagine that there is a notion of perfection. Perfection being a state that can create and do anything. lo_Pine

Yes. But just because God created us in his own image doesn't mean each part of his image has to realize the whole. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

A human cannot know if God looks the same, for humans cannot see God. The bible was written by humans. either it's a lie, or this thread is stupid.
#8 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Do you accept no human can see God?Nibroc420

A human cannot know if God looks the same, for humans cannot see God. The bible was written by humans. either it's a lie, or this thread is stupid.

This has nothing to do with humans creating "a lie". If you can imagine a state of perfection then you can imagine a state of being that can create anything. A perfected being simply cannot create anything that is imperfect, by definition. What is in the Bible has nothing to do with a being of perfection. But by definition a perfected being cannot create anything that is Imperfected, even if the parts of the sum are imperfect. The statement God created us in him own image just reflects that point.
#9 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

By definition God is perfection. There is no other state or being that can be better. Given God is perfection and "God created humans in his own image" then every action by you or me that ever takes place is the most perfect action that could have ever occurred. lo_Pine

I'm questioning the origin of these "Facts"

Given that Humans cannot see God, And the only text discribing the God you speak of was written by humans.

It's safe to conclude this thread.

#10 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]By definition God is perfection. There is no other state or being that can be better. Given God is perfection and "God created humans in his own image" then every action by you or me that ever takes place is the most perfect action that could have ever occurred. Nibroc420

Given that Humans cannot see God, And the only text discribing the God you speak of was written by humans.

Ok. But have you never asked yourself, what created all of this?
#11 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]By definition God is perfection. There is no other state or being that can be better. Given God is perfection and "God created humans in his own image" then every action by you or me that ever takes place is the most perfect action that could have ever occurred. lo_Pine

You're assuming there is a "What", and that it consciously "created all of this". I'm accepting that I'm less than an Ant on this plane of existence, and for me to do anything but accept i will not know everything, would be absurd.
#12 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Nibroc420

You're assuming there is a "What", and that it consciously "created all of this". I'm accepting that I'm less than an Ant on this plane of existence, and for me to do anything but accept i will not know everything, would be absurd.

In that case,Then you can accept powerlessness over your own existence.
#13 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Ok. But have you never asked yourself, what created all of this?

No-one does have power over their existence. You cannot choose when you're born, or where, or who'll you look like. One day, even if you spend your entire life working to stop it, you will die. You weigh 60-100kg, The earth weighs ~5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kg. Our sun is thousands of times that size, and orbiting it are several other planets of varying weights. We call this our solar system, there are over 200 billion other solar systems in our galaxy, and millions(if not billions) of galaxies exist. The sun is billions of years old, you'll hopefully reach 100. You cannot hope to know everything. Making things up will not solve any problems.
#14 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] You're assuming there is a "What", and that it consciously "created all of this". I'm accepting that I'm less than an Ant on this plane of existence, and for me to do anything but accept i will not know everything, would be absurd.

No-one does have power over their existence. You cannot choose when you're born, or where, or who'll you look like. One day, even if you spend your entire life working to stop it, you will die. You weigh 60-100kg, The earth weighs ~5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000kg. Our sun is thousands of times that size, and orbiting it are several other planets of varying weights. We call this our solar system, there are over 200 billion other solar systems in our galaxy, and millions(if not billions) of galaxies exist. The sun is billions of years old, you'll hopefully reach 100. You cannot hope to know everything. Making things up will not solve any problems.

You're only proving what I said before. The parts of a sum cannot realize its whole.
#15 Posted by bookwormwizard (46 posts) -
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]By definition God is perfection. There is no other state or being that can be better. Given God is perfection and "God created humans in his own image" then every action by you or me that ever takes place is the most perfect action that could have ever occurred. Even when you want to eat more than you should (gluttony) or not be productive when you should (sloth) that is the most perfect it could have been.

Created in his image means created in his likeness. We have his characteristics, such as you can love, because God loves, people like to create things because God likes to create things. However, Even though Adam and Eve were created in Gods image (or likeness) they were given free will. It was there nature to be only good (they knew no evil), but they had the free will to make a choice that went against there nature, once they rebelled against God, there nature was corrupted by sin, and now people hate, people destroy, ect ect.
#16 Posted by toast_burner (21469 posts) -

Thinking god created you in his own image screams "self centered" to me. It's a very odd thing to believe.

#17 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

Thinking god created you in his own image screams "self centered" to me. It's a very odd thing to believe.

toast_burner
Why would that be?
#18 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]"God created humans in his own image"FMAB_GTO
Nope~

Yeah. God created MAN in his image. Women were just an afterthought, you know made from the rib of man.

#19 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"]"God created humans in his own image"SirWander

Nope~

Yeah. God created MAN in his image. Women were just an afterthought, you know made from the rib of man.

:lol:
#20 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"]"God created humans in his own image"SirWander

Nope~

He was like "I gotta find a use for these nipple things"
#21 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
but god doesn't exist
#22 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
You are presupposing certain meaning to the phrase that is not mentioned within the text and you are forgetting the notion that after their creation they became corrupted by sin. Jesus alone is the perfect image of God because he alone is untainted by the curse of sin.
#23 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (701 posts) -
You are forgetting two important details. The bible isn't true and such god is not even remotely likely to exist.
#24 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
WTF was God thinking when he made men? They're ugly as F--.
#25 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

God didn't create us.

#26 Posted by wis3boi (31167 posts) -

we were not created/designed, nor are we the best animal

#27 Posted by TheHighWind (3764 posts) -

I've been on this site since 2004 and this is the first time I have facepalmed. I've even read some of BlueRayHighDef's OP's.

Yes Adam and Eve. They were made from dirt. We come from dirt.

Everything was fine, Adam worked in the garden and Eve was made.

Then they sinned, they were kicked out of the Garden and were no longer perfect.

If God created us in his own image, then he did. He didn't say: "Now that you have my IMAGE, be perfect like me."

OP is so bad.. I think I might leave this site. I feel dumber because I read it, and I usually don't rag on people.

#28 Posted by JohnF111 (14060 posts) -
Humans created god in their own image, that's why jesus had nipples, if he was always going to be a boy then he wouldn't have nipples as they have no function on a male. So unless God left it up to his birth mothers womb to decide if Jesus was to be a boy or girl then God made a mistake.
#29 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
It's just human self-interest to say that we're perfect. The notion is f*cking retarded.
#30 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
but god doesn't exist Lonelynight
Prove it. :)
#31 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

we were not created/designedl

wis3boi
Again, can you prove it?
#32 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
trick question, the christian god isn't real
#33 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Prove it. :)ShadowsDemon
Prove unicorns don't exist.
#34 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]Prove it. :)Zeviander

I never claimed they existed. The burden of proof lies on the person making the claim, not me. So, as we were...
#35 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The burden of proof lies on the person making the claim, not me.ShadowsDemon
Burden of proof doesn't shift in the case of a non-affirmative assertion. It only lies with those making the affirmative claim. Saying "God doesn't exist" isn't an affirmative claim per se. "God most certainly does not exist" is, however.
#36 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Perfection in the eye of those who seek it. Its relative and a part of individual perception. In order for something to truly be perfect... To be objectively perfect... It must apply to every view of perfection. Which is impossible, since many views of perfection contradict on another.

#37 Posted by spiderluck (2376 posts) -

Hmm ..supposing God does exist does nobody else find it strange that when dogs reproduce you get more dogs..monkeys? ...more monkeys ..birds? more birds..etc etc ...everything has the power to reproduce exact copies of themselves for all intents and purposes...But God ?? nope...old guy just can't get it right..Everything he creates is inferior to him or so Biblical scholars would tell us...Just an impotent bumbler who can't even reproduce properly...You'd think he would enjoy hangin' out with equals but no...he is saddled with the eternal burden of being a mere counterfeiter of himself...Loser

#38 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]Prove it. :)ShadowsDemon

I never claimed they existed. The burden of proof lies on the person making the claim, not me. So, as we were...

Sorry, are you not claiming that a God exists? People need to prove Bigfoot exists, not that he doesn't because there is a group that believes he does. Same logic.
#39 Posted by one_plum (6349 posts) -

That doesn't explain why God created creatures so ugly that they feel the need to cover themselves up.

#40 Posted by CountBleck12 (22693 posts) -
You are forgetting two important details. The bible isn't true and such god is not even remotely likely to exist. BenedictArnold7
#41 Posted by Diablo-B (4030 posts) -

I've been on this site since 2004 and this is the first time I have facepalmed. I've even read some of BlueRayHighDef's OP's.

Yes Adam and Eve. They were made from dirt. We come from dirt.

Everything was fine, Adam worked in the garden and Eve was made.

Then they sinned, they were kicked out of the Garden and were no longer perfect.

If God created us in his own image, then he did. He didn't say: "Now that you have my IMAGE, be perfect like me."

OP is so bad.. I think I might leave this site. I feel dumber because I read it, and I usually don't rag on people.

TheHighWind

Actually you are wrong

A) God did create man in his image; Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

B) God did tell use to be perfect like him; Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

The OP does raise a good point. God is perfect. He made everything in existance. The things he made are all perfect. Even Lucifer, who God made, should be perfect. But somehow this imperfect thing "sin" came into existance seemingly by itself. Imperfection magically srang up in a perfection. 

Now a person could just look at this twisted logical as more reason to doubt the Bible.

But you can also take the stand point that sin is also perfect, and what we experience in life is a perfect scenerio but our feeblie minds are too small to understand. And we are just complaining to have things better when in reality we have a perfect existance but we are taking it forgranted becasue all we know is perfection. But of course taking that stance can easily open a can of worms that can be picked at.

Whether you believe the bible or not , there is no denying, it can be a jump off point for deep philosophical thought. Sadly some people dont have the brain power to handle the bible and they end up doing more harm then good.

#42 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]The burden of proof lies on the person making the claim, not me.Zeviander
Burden of proof doesn't shift in the case of a non-affirmative assertion. It only lies with those making the affirmative claim. Saying "God doesn't exist" isn't an affirmative claim per se. "God most certainly does not exist" is, however.

It is affirmative. Saying "I believe God exists" is not affirmative. Besides, saying "we were not created/designed" sounds pretty damn affirmative to me. He states it like a known fact. :lol:
#43 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

we were not created/designed, nor are we the best animal

wis3boi
Best animal.... Don't know where you got that idea from out of this thread. The assumption is God is perfect and anything he creates is perfect. No one animal or person is better than another or else that would contradict the perfection of creation. Undoubtedly, a quality of perfection is equality. I am not in any way going with what the Bible says other than the statement God created us in his own image. The definition of God is a perfected bein. Anything that is created from a perfect being has to be perfect. That statement just happens to reflect this idea of the Universe being a creation from perfection.
#44 Posted by Obviously_Right (5093 posts) -

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] Nope~ShadowsDemon

#45 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6007 posts) -
Short answer: Man was perfect until that whole talking snake situation came to pass.
#46 Posted by wis3boi (31167 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]The burden of proof lies on the person making the claim, not me.ShadowsDemon

It is affirmative. Saying "I believe God exists" is not affirmative. Besides, saying "we were not created/designed" sounds pretty damn affirmative to me. He states it like a known fact. :lol:

Back to the biology ignorance I see

#47 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6007 posts) -

The OP does raise a good point. God is perfect. He made everything in existance. The things he made are all perfect. Even Lucifer, who God made, should be perfect. But somehow this imperfect thing "sin" came into existance seemingly by itself. Imperfection magically srang up in a perfection. 

Now a person could just look at this twisted logical as more reason to doubt the Bible.

But you can also take the stand point that sin is also perfect, and what we experience in life is a perfect scenerio but our feeblie minds are too small to understand. And we are just complaining to have things better when in reality we have a perfect existance but we are taking it forgranted becasue all we know is perfection. But of course taking that stance can easily open a can of worms that can be picked at.

Whether you believe the bible or not , there is no denying, it can be a jump off point for deep philosophical thought. Sadly some people dont have the brain power to handle the bible and they end up doing more harm then good.

Diablo-B
God created man to be perfect. But God also gave man free will, the ability to do wrong- the right to choose to be imperfect. Imprefection, unfortunately, is hereditary.
#48 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
It is affirmative. Saying "I believe God exists" is not affirmative. Besides, saying "we were not created/designed" sounds pretty damn affirmative to me. He states it like a known fact. :lol: ShadowsDemon
"per se" Saying "God does not exist" in response to the claim that "God does exist" is not an affirmative claim. This thread makes the affirmative claim that God exists and bases it's premise on that claim. The response that you demanded a burden of proof for, was not an outright claim, whether it was meant to be or not. In a thread that asks the question: "Do you believe in God?" The answer "God does not exist" would be an affirmative claim and require proof. You are playing a semantics game rather than just addressing the point at hand. Why not ask the poster, "Why do you *think* God does not exist?" You might actually get a constructive answer.
#49 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] Burden of proof doesn't shift in the case of a non-affirmative assertion. It only lies with those making the affirmative claim. Saying "God doesn't exist" isn't an affirmative claim per se. "God most certainly does not exist" is, however.wis3boi

So presuming something as complex as the human body being actually designed leads to ignorance does it? :lol: In that case all theistic evolutionists are also "ignorant".
#50 Posted by wis3boi (31167 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] It is affirmative. Saying "I believe God exists" is not affirmative. Besides, saying "we were not created/designed" sounds pretty damn affirmative to me. He states it like a known fact. :lol: ShadowsDemon

So presuming something as complex as the human body being actually designed leads to ignorance does it? :lol: In that case all theistic evolutionists are also "ignorant".

The human genome is completely documented, we can trace back our ancestry through the history of the planet, and you STILL think humans were created? So much for "I'm not a creationst."  You still are, but hide it udner the flawed veil of intelligent design.  We know more about our origins than we do about the workings of gravity.  If by some miraculous chance life was designed, whoever did it is a joke of a creator and not worthy of the title of a god to be worshipped.