If Gamespot Folds, Where Would You Go?

  • 73 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for Master_Live
#1 Posted by Master_Live (18402 posts) -

(Anyone having problems with the black background?)

So after that large group of GS writers got laid off, plus the continued disregard for forumnites and their suggestion to make this place suck less; It got me seriously thinking about a topic I give some thought from time to time (I know, so sad): What if Gamespot went down forever? What would me and other users do then?

  • Some would move on to Giant Bomb, IGN, The Daily Happening ect.
  • Some would be "liberated" from GS and maybe would simply move to a new phase in their lives were they don't interact via forums any more.

Now, to make clear it nothing would give me more pleasure than, lets say, they guys on Giant Bomb take over editorial/review duties on Gamespot and for near full implementation of members forum features suggestions so GS can be a vibrant, industry leading website again. But I ain't blind and sometimes things can go awry pretty fast.

So with all that said, OT what would you do if Gamespot.com went away?

Avatar image for Master_Live
#2 Posted by Master_Live (18402 posts) -

I think I would go to Giant Bomb seeing how I already got an account there plus the fact that GB feels in some way like the spiritual successor to GS. Would need to adapt myself to the delicate flower environment sprung over there, but it is what it is.

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
#3 Edited by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (382 posts) -

Well Master_Live, I left IGN 3 years ago and never look back. I hated that place, but that's another story. I also go to Game Revolution [gamerevolution.com] before joining Gamespot, Game Revolution is a nice place to get good info on games but the community is small and then I join GS. If GS were to went away, I'll just go back to my hometown aka Game Revolution and that's that.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (14489 posts) -

Futuremark. Haven't been to those forums in years because people wouldn't leave me alone about the Greg_ValveOLS incident, but if GS folds I'd probably end up there again.

Avatar image for thehig1
#5 Posted by thehig1 (5358 posts) -

Probably IGN, never been on there but now I like visiting a gaming forum I would not stop if gamespot folded.

Avatar image for Gamerno6666
#6 Posted by Gamerno6666 (4857 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

Probably IGN, never been on there but now I like visiting a gaming forum I would not stop if gamespot folded.

IGN ip banned me from their forums. Don't know why. never posted there.

OT: I think I would go to rps.

Avatar image for bforrester420
#7 Edited by bforrester420 (3392 posts) -

God forbid I should go back to Sherdog.com forums. I almost never talk Games on the Gamespot forums anymore...I just use the OT as the occasional distraction during the work day. System Wars is a veritable asylum and the other forums on GS are stagnant.

Avatar image for Aquat1cF1sh
#8 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (11089 posts) -

Probably GameFAQs. I'm on there more than I'm on here anyways.

Avatar image for deeliman
#9 Edited by deeliman (3666 posts) -

Would probably stop interacting in forums all together. This is the only forum I have ever been a part of.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#10 Edited by Jacanuk (7699 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

(Anyone having problems with the black background?)

So after that large group of GS writers got laid off, plus the continued disregard for forumnites and their suggestion to make this place suck less; It got me seriously thinking about a topic I give some thought from time to time (I know, so sad): What if Gamespot went down forever? What would me and other users do then?

  • Some would move on to Giant Bomb, IGN, The Daily Happening ect.
  • Some would be "liberated" from GS and maybe would simply move to a new phase in their lives were they don't interact via forums any more.

Now, to make clear it nothing would give me more pleasure than, lets say, they guys on Giant Bomb take over editorial/review duties on Gamespot and for near full implementation of members forum features suggestions so GS can be a vibrant, industry leading website again. But I ain't blind and sometimes things can go awry pretty fast.

So with all that said, OT what would you do if Gamespot.com went away?

Go to Giantbomb? Giantbomb is gamespot and gamespot is Giantbomb, so if CBS decides to close down the gamespot domain, which would be insane since it draws in a hell of a lot more traffic then Giantbomb.com does. I would probably go hang out with the strange people at neogaf and their messed up forum structure.

But Gamespot won't shut down, at least not for the foreseeable future, they might change a lot of staff which in reality is just going back to the previous staff before Tom, Carolyn (partly) and most of the current came in, which can never be bad because those were the ones that made Gamespot popular and with the addition of Patrick Klepek and 2 new, it doesnt look like Gamespot is going anywhere.

Avatar image for The-Apostle
#11 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
@Aquat1cF1sh said:

Probably GameFAQs. I'm on there more than I'm on here anyways.

Avatar image for dave123321
#12 Posted by dave123321 (35215 posts) -

I just wouldn't come here. Continue to go elsewhere like I do now

Avatar image for konvikt_17
#13 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

Nowhere. This is the only forum I post in.

Ive tried other forums, but they were either dead or have the same topics like waylt, what did you eat and stuff like than. Kinda like unions. No real discussion happens and it get boring fast.

Id probly just spend more time over at 4chan.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#14 Posted by Jacanuk (7699 posts) -

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

Probably GameFAQs. I'm on there more than I'm on here anyways.

So you would go from gamespot to gamespot :)

Avatar image for Master_Live
#15 Posted by Master_Live (18402 posts) -

<--------------------------------- Look guys, they made some minor changes to the avatar area.

Avatar image for pimphand_gamer
#16 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (1672 posts) -

Never heard of Giantbomb but I don't read game sites often as they are more hype machines than anything else.This forum is the last on my list of several forums I visit and the most recent and could really care less if any one of them failed because it's the internet, there's never a shortage of forums, especially when you have several hobbies, not just gaming.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
#17 Posted by harry_james_pot (11368 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

<--------------------------------- Look guys, they made some minor changes to the avatar area.

There's a lot of other small changes all over the place as well.

Avatar image for BossPerson
#18 Posted by BossPerson (9178 posts) -

neogaf

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#19 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

This is the only gaming forums I post in, so I would probably just stop posting about games altogether. I also post at Badger & Blade, but that is a shaving forum. I have a Neogaf account, but have yet to bring myself to want to post on that site. I guess I would work my way through my games that much faster.

Avatar image for airshocker
#20 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Probably Giant Bomb, maybe other places.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#21 Edited by Serraph105 (30479 posts) -

I don't know for sure, I like discussing politics and facebook is terrible for that seeing as how far too many feelings get hurt. The anonymity of a forum means not having to deal with that shit like that in real life. Perhaps Giant Bomb or IGN, I technically have accounts on both yet hardly visit either place. The only other place I can think of political discussion is news article comment sections, but those places tend to be more about insults than actual discussion.

Perhaps The Daily Happening if that place picked up speed a bit.

Avatar image for airshocker
#22 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

I don't know for sure, I like discussing politics and facebook is terrible for that seeing as how far too many feelings get hurt. The anonymity of a forum means not having to deal with that shit like that in real life. Perhaps Giant Bomb or IGN, I technically have accounts on both yet hardly visit either place. The only other place I can think of political discussion is news article comment sections, but those places tend to be more about insults than actual discussion.

Perhaps The Daily Happening if that place picked up speed a bit.

Do you still have the link for that place? I was contemplating going there while I was suspended for flagging too many spam posts.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#23 Posted by Serraph105 (30479 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

I don't know for sure, I like discussing politics and facebook is terrible for that seeing as how far too many feelings get hurt. The anonymity of a forum means not having to deal with that shit like that in real life. Perhaps Giant Bomb or IGN, I technically have accounts on both yet hardly visit either place. The only other place I can think of political discussion is news article comment sections, but those places tend to be more about insults than actual discussion.

Perhaps The Daily Happening if that place picked up speed a bit.

Do you still have the link for that place? I was contemplating going there while I was suspended for flagging too many spam posts.

yeah I just googled it actually. I haven't been there in about a year or so, but it doesn't look like much happens there anymore.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/index/

Avatar image for airshocker
#24 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

I don't know for sure, I like discussing politics and facebook is terrible for that seeing as how far too many feelings get hurt. The anonymity of a forum means not having to deal with that shit like that in real life. Perhaps Giant Bomb or IGN, I technically have accounts on both yet hardly visit either place. The only other place I can think of political discussion is news article comment sections, but those places tend to be more about insults than actual discussion.

Perhaps The Daily Happening if that place picked up speed a bit.

Do you still have the link for that place? I was contemplating going there while I was suspended for flagging too many spam posts.

yeah I just googled it actually. I haven't been there in about a year or so, but it doesn't look like much happens there anymore.

Figures. Sometimes it was fun to post there, but a lot of the time it was an exercise in emotional masochism.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
#25 Posted by deactivated-583e460ca986b (7240 posts) -

1 Neogaf

2 Giantbomb

I already have accounts on both sites. I really only come here first out of habit. I actually prefer the less "trollish" communities those sites have.

Avatar image for -Sun_Tzu-
#26 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

I don't know for sure, I like discussing politics and facebook is terrible for that seeing as how far too many feelings get hurt. The anonymity of a forum means not having to deal with that shit like that in real life. Perhaps Giant Bomb or IGN, I technically have accounts on both yet hardly visit either place. The only other place I can think of political discussion is news article comment sections, but those places tend to be more about insults than actual discussion.

Perhaps The Daily Happening if that place picked up speed a bit.

Do you still have the link for that place? I was contemplating going there while I was suspended for flagging too many spam posts.

yeah I just googled it actually. I haven't been there in about a year or so, but it doesn't look like much happens there anymore.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/index/

Au contraire

we just got our jand back

spam levels are at an all time high

Avatar image for SaintLeonidas
#27 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26735 posts) -

Probably nowhere.

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#28 Posted by Perfect_Blue (28088 posts) -

I'm on GAF way more than Gamespot now.

Avatar image for airshocker
#29 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I'm on GAF way more than Gamespot now.

Too bad you need a paid e-mail account for GAF, else I'd have signed up.

Avatar image for perfect_blue
#30 Posted by Perfect_Blue (28088 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I'm on GAF way more than Gamespot now.

Too bad you need a paid e-mail account for GAF, else I'd have signed up.

You don't have one from your ISP?

Avatar image for airshocker
#31 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I'm on GAF way more than Gamespot now.

Too bad you need a paid e-mail account for GAF, else I'd have signed up.

You don't have one from your ISP?

Not one I've set up, no.

Avatar image for Gelugon_baat
#32 Edited by Gelugon_baat (21849 posts) -
@dave123321 said:

I just wouldn't come here. Continue to go elsewhere like I do now

Yet you are here. :|

With that said, GiantBomb is where I would go - if GameSpot somehow folds (doubt it - it's the seventh-highest ranking video-game-related site on Alexa).

By the way, can anyone give me a list of who was laid off? I only know the following:

  • Maxwell McGee
  • Tom McShea
  • Carolyn Petit

UPDATE: Turns out there are a lot of people laid off - including even Ryan MacDonald, the GameSpot staffer with the longest tenure.

Avatar image for High-Res
#33 Posted by High-Res (273 posts) -

If? GameSpot has already failed man. No one comes here, you post and then come back in 2-3 days to check responses. Total weaksauce.

No sympathy for self inflicted wounds. 500 Posts to start a topic? No thanks, I'll just go somewhere else.

Avatar image for indzman
#34 Posted by indzman (24198 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

I just wouldn't come here. Continue to go elsewhere like I do now

whats happened to daves place and TDH ?

Avatar image for indzman
#35 Posted by indzman (24198 posts) -

IGN , Gaintbomb

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#38 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

I would try and find some new forums.

I actually need some more forums in general if I am going to try and start up a youtube channel. Need to get myself out there somehow...

Avatar image for outworld222
#39 Posted by outworld222 (2742 posts) -

gamefaq

Avatar image for xeno_ghost
#40 Edited by Xeno_ghost (984 posts) -

Your house

Avatar image for Shottayouth13-
#41 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6956 posts) -

I already comment on a lot of IGN articles. Would probably just join their forums.

Avatar image for Brutal_Elitegs
#42 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16414 posts) -
@konvikt_17 said:

Ive tried other forums, but they were either dead or have the same topics like waylt, what did you eat and stuff like than. Kinda like unions. No real discussion happens and it get boring fast.

neogaf, bro.

Avatar image for BSC14
#43 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

Well Master_Live, I left IGN 3 years ago and never look back. I hated that place, but that's another story. I also go to Game Revolution [gamerevolution.com] before joining Gamespot, Game Revolution is a nice place to get good info on games but the community is small and then I join GS. If GS were to went away, I'll just go back to my hometown aka Game Revolution and that's that.

I was on IGN a long time, they had great boards at one time. I miss those boards....crap now though.

Avatar image for LZ71
#44 Posted by LZ71 (10452 posts) -

Giantbomb, maybe. Other than that, I'd probably just stop going to forums altogether. Like a lot of others, this is the only forum I'm a part of. I'm not here as much as I used to but I'd be kinda sad if it completely died, as it's one of the only places where I can talk in depth about movies, games, etc. that the people I know in real life couldn't give two shits about.

Avatar image for branketra
#45 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

I do not expect it fail, but I do have an account on Freedom: Community Gaming Collective anyway. I also have a GiantBomb account and I could post there more.

Avatar image for korvus
#47 Posted by Korvus (10152 posts) -

For forums? Nowhere. For game info? Any website with a game list and release date will do...I don't really care for reviews...I think watching a YouTube gameplay video is 100 times better than watching a review.

@Master_Live said:

<--------------------------------- Look guys, they made some minor changes to the avatar area.

They just wanted to mess with OCD people by putting it off-centered =P

Avatar image for CyberLips
#48 Edited by CyberLips (1827 posts) -

Eurogamer and GameFAQs probably. Or buy an email address and join neoGAF.

Avatar image for Celldrax
#49 Edited by Celldrax (15030 posts) -

Eh, nothing would really change.

I already spend most of my time watching others shitpost on /mlp/.

Avatar image for junglist101
#50 Posted by junglist101 (5479 posts) -

I'd prolly just spend more time on youporn...