I wouldn't call this a gee-oh-dee thread.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SempiternalFett
SempiternalFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SempiternalFett
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
But how do we know stars exist? I mean, we classify the sun as a star in our solar system- THE closest star to Earth. However, it takes approximately eight minutes for the light from the sun to travel to the Earth. So, logically, no human being has ever truly seen the sun, but merely the light of the sun of eight minutes ago. Likewise, stars that are millions of lightyears away could have burned out decades ago and we still, today, would be able to 'see' them, but like the reasoning with the sun in OUR solar system, we're still only seeing the light that they emit.

So I guess what I'm getting at is- how do we prove stars exist? All knowledge of the heat we receive from the sun aside, will technology eventually go beyond the visual aspect aspect of identifying a star? Can we reach the sun? And, just for fun, if we claim stars exist and we cannot technically see the stars themselves, can a 'God' or higher being of any sort exist though we cannot technically see it?
AgostonF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 AgostonF
Member since 2006 • 6965 Posts
After reading the first sentance I can only tell you this *insert Scientific reason why there are stars or how they appear here*. I'd wiki it if I wasn't half asleep.
Avatar image for SempiternalFett
SempiternalFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SempiternalFett
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
After reading the first sentance I can only tell you this *insert Scientific reason why there are stars or how they appear here*. I'd wiki it if I wasn't half asleep.AgostonF
Good work, detective.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
good point but im sure that there is a simple explanation to your question
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
But how do we know stars exist? I mean, we classify the sun as a star in our solar system- THE closest star to Earth. However, it takes approximately eight minutes for the light from the sun to travel to the Earth. So, logically, no human being has ever truly seen the sun, but merely the light of the sun of eight minutes ago. Likewise, stars that are millions of lightyears away could have burned out decades ago and we still, today, would be able to 'see' them, but like the reasoning with the sun in OUR solar system, we're still only seeing the light that they emit.

So I guess what I'm getting at is- how do we prove stars exist? All knowledge of the heat we receive from the sun aside, will technology eventually go beyond the visual aspect aspect of identifying a star? Can we reach the sun? And, just for fun, if we claim stars exist and we cannot technically see the stars themselves, can a 'God' or higher being of any sort exist though we cannot technically see it?
SempiternalFett

if they wernt solid they woudl nto be detected by radar. depends if they can be sonicly imagioed or if they show up on radar. and a nebula, a huge cloud of gas and dust is created from an exploding star. if stars wernt solid, nebulas woudlnt exist.
Rabid_Moogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rabid_Moogle
Member since 2006 • 285 Posts
[QUOTE="SempiternalFett"]But how do we know stars exist? I mean, we classify the sun as a star in our solar system- THE closest star to Earth. However, it takes approximately eight minutes for the light from the sun to travel to the Earth. So, logically, no human being has ever truly seen the sun, but merely the light of the sun of eight minutes ago. Likewise, stars that are millions of lightyears away could have burned out decades ago and we still, today, would be able to 'see' them, but like the reasoning with the sun in OUR solar system, we're still only seeing the light that they emit.

ForlornHope

if they wernt solid they woudl nto be detected by radar. depends if they can be sonicly imagioed or if they show up on radar. and a nebula, a huge cloud of gas and dust is created from an exploding star. if stars wernt solid, nebulas woudlnt exist.

.....or would they?
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="SempiternalFett"]But how do we know stars exist? I mean, we classify the sun as a star in our solar system- THE closest star to Earth. However, it takes approximately eight minutes for the light from the sun to travel to the Earth. So, logically, no human being has ever truly seen the sun, but merely the light of the sun of eight minutes ago. Likewise, stars that are millions of lightyears away could have burned out decades ago and we still, today, would be able to 'see' them, but like the reasoning with the sun in OUR solar system, we're still only seeing the light that they emit.

Rabid_Moogle

.....or would they?

No they woudn't. whart kind of dumb retorical pandoras boxish knid of post is that :S :P
Matthew_Kaeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Matthew_Kaeser
Member since 2002 • 13493 Posts
Well, just start your stopwatch and if the sun is still visible in the sky eight minutes from now, you will at least know that one star existed when you asked this question.
AgostonF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 AgostonF
Member since 2006 • 6965 Posts
[QUOTE="AgostonF"]After reading the first sentance I can only tell you this *insert Scientific reason why there are stars or how they appear here*. I'd wiki it if I wasn't half asleep.SempiternalFett
Good work, detective.

I want my cookie :P.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Well of course some stars that we see don't exist now, but most of them probably do. If our sun has been there since life has been here, then other stars can probably live just as long, and probably longer, as our star is a pretty average one
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts

with the TC's flawed logic, you dont EVER really see ANYTHING.  light travels at a certain speed, no matter what it is you see. if you were standing right next to me, i wouldnt see you instantly, i would see you after the light travels from the surface of you to my eyes.

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts

SempiternalFett
By your logic, nothing around you exists, you're only seeing them when the oh so slow light reflected off them hits your eyes. That's how we see.. IT's not that we see what is there, but rather we see the light reflected of them. What I want to know is how I prove how USA exists.. I've never personally seen the country with my eyes and as we all know, pictures are not absolute truth! :o