I think there should be a car board

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

Why not?? For discussing maintenance tips and talking about about favorite brands and sutff, that being said I don't own a car yet, but always a car enthusiast through my life.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

Why not just make car threads here on OT? OT isn't the active board as it used to be, so no to Car Forum, keep it here in OT so it won't be a barren wasteland again. Feel free to make a car thread and I'll gladly post whatever's on your mind on the car.

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lucianocasanova

@davillain-: then what about sports bar? They gave it a board of it's own.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

@lucianocasanova: I hardly go to Sports Bar despite I rarely talk about sports these days. To be honest, is there a demanding for a car forum on it's own?

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lucianocasanova

@davillain-: not that much, but I mean sports shouldn't have also moved there.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

While I don't mind talking about cars (though I'm definitely not a maintenance person and not very experienced with parts) unfortunately these days, other forums are very bad ideas, OT needs all the activity it can get.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I live for cars, talk to me mate.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

He's lying lol, he just secretly wants to entice you with candy so you join the blue oval.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BattleSpectre

@GTR12: Oh, you're good... too good..... I mean, what?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

yeah, we should make a separate board for every subject because OT is WAY too crowded these days. great idea.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@BattleSpectre: Your Ford avy says otherwise. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

TA-DA!!!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

If I were to make a thread like what's your favorite car models, you'll be happy to tell me? Well then, I like cars myself and I won my first Car Show Trophy like 2 Months ago.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bmanva

@davillain-: More details please and pics too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@bmanva: The trophy that I won? Here ya go.

And I also post this pic on the old Roll Call sticky thread back then.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bmanva

Nice, but honestly I can't think of single Chrysler that I really like.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

well, if there were unions....

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lucianocasanova

@davillain-: cool

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I know a lot about computer hardware but very little about cars in general.

I'd like to know more but don't know where to start. Computers came naturally to me.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BattleSpectre

@davillain- said:
@BattleSpectre said:

If I were to make a thread like what's your favorite car models, you'll be happy to tell me? Well then, I like cars myself and I won my first Car Show Trophy like 2 Months ago.

I'd be more then happy to tell you my favourite Ford model, but unfortunately anyone outside of Australia and New Zealand won't recognize or know it. Australia had (I say had because now it's shutting down) it's own performance division and my favourite was the F6 Typhoon which was a turbo variant. Oh and beautiful car by the way and congrats on the trophy, I quite like the Chryslers especially the SRT8 models which are a weapon.

@bmanva said:

@BattleSpectre: Your Ford avy says otherwise. lol

You're harsh mate, haha.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Heck no. Let's not encourage hillbillyness

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bmanva

@BattleSpectre: Truth is harsh lol. Honestly they aren't bad, I like Saleen and Shelby.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bmanva

@Gaming-Planet said:

I'd like to know more but don't know where to start. Computers came naturally to me.

Cars are simpler than computers IMO because they are mechanical mostly where as computer has both hardware and software (yes, modern cars have ECU but most time it's a simple matter of uploading a map). Pretty much everything I know about cars and bikes I learned from doing. And I'm able to rebuild motorcycles from frame and engine as well as internal engine work like cam chain replacement. Cars mechanical concepts are really easy to understand.

Car engines for example are combustion engines which just mean they are driven by pistons that get pushed and pulled by explosions (thus combustion) that take place inside cylindrical chambers. At the start of the process, the chamber is filled with air (from air intakes) and fuel (spray into the chamber), both amounts of which are controlled by a chip or ECU in modern cars. Then the spark plug does as the name suggests and ignite an explosion which push the piston and in turn drives a crank shaft. As one piston is pushed downward, another piston on the crank shaft is pushed up into its respective chamber. If an explosion previously already taken place, this effectively push out the smoke and carbon from the last explosion into series of pipes attached to the chambers (aka headers) and then into the cars exhaust system. This cycle of dual push action completes a revolution of crank shaft which drives the car via gear box (which is another topic). The tachometer on your car basically tells you how many revolution your engine (not your wheel) is making per minute (RPM). That's essentially the inner working of a car engine.

When we said v8 or inline 4, we are talking about the layout of the cyclinders. V8 is an engine that has 8 chambers set up in a V fashion (4 on each side). Inline 4 has all 4 chambers lined up vertically. Boxer engine has two sets of chambers lying flat against each other, the pistons go back and forth like boxers exchanging blows (thus the name). And when we say a car is 5.0 liter or a bike is 600cc (or cubic cm), we are talking about the combined volume of the chambers. For example, a 5.0liter V8 engine would have eight 0.675 liter chambers. Obviously bigger the chamber the more force at which the crank shaft is turned (aka torque). And then you have additional mechanisms that's designed to either increase the volume of air fuel mixture or accelerate the process, like super chargers or turbos.

See, pretty easy stuff.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@BattleSpectre That blue tuner rocks !

@davillain- I bet that Chrysler's LED lights rock at night !

This is my Muscle old skool !

http://www.camaros.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=198&pictureid=3166

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BattleSpectre

@LexLas: That's tough mate, I love me some ol' school Camaro action.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@bmanva: Rebuild a GTR Nismo without computer knowledge, you wont get far ;)

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lucianocasanova

@BattleSpectre: good to know.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@bmanva said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Cars are simpler than computers IMO because they are mechanical mostly where as computer has both hardware and software (yes, modern cars have ECU but most time it's a simple matter of uploading a map). Pretty much everything I know about cars and bikes I learned from doing. And I'm able to rebuild motorcycles from frame and engine as well as internal engine work like cam chain replacement. Cars mechanical concepts are really easy to understand.

Car engines for example are combustion engines which just mean they are driven by pistons that get pushed and pulled by explosions (thus combustion) that take place inside cylindrical chambers. At the start of the process, the chamber is filled with air (from air intakes) and fuel (spray into the chamber), both amounts of which are controlled by a chip or ECU in modern cars. Then the spark plug does as the name suggests and ignite an explosion which push the piston and in turn drives a crank shaft. As one piston is pushed downward, another piston on the crank shaft is pushed up into its respective chamber. If an explosion previously already taken place, this effectively push out the smoke and carbon from the last explosion into series of pipes attached to the chambers (aka headers) and then into the cars exhaust system. This cycle of dual push action completes a revolution of crank shaft which drives the car via gear box (which is another topic). The tachometer on your car basically tells you how many revolution your engine (not your wheel) is making per minute (RPM). That's essentially the inner working of a car engine.

When we said v8 or inline 4, we are talking about the layout of the cyclinders. V8 is an engine that has 8 chambers set up in a V fashion (4 on each side). Inline 4 has all 4 chambers lined up vertically. Boxer engine has two sets of chambers lying flat against each other, the pistons go back and forth like boxers exchanging blows (thus the name). And when we say a car is 5.0 liter or a bike is 600cc (or cubic cm), we are talking about the combined volume of the chambers. For example, a 5.0liter V8 engine would have eight 0.675 liter chambers. Obviously bigger the chamber the more force at which the crank shaft is turned (aka torque). And then you have additional mechanisms that's designed to either increase the volume of air fuel mixture or accelerate the process, like super chargers or turbos.

See, pretty easy stuff.

If that's what mostly goes into an engine, doesn't seem that all that difficult; although in practice it may seem like a challenge to diagnose. I've got mostly 70% of what you said from previous experience with cars although you've summed it up pretty well for me to understand it even more, so I thank you for that.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bmanva

@GTR12: I bet you can. Not 100% sure about nismo, but the chances are pretty good that it's a self containing unit just like factory GTR. In that case it's just matter of getting an unlocked version online and plug and play you just have a lot more components that needs to be connected to the master system. Sure, you don't have the level of control over performance of the car but it's a rebuilt, not tweak.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bmanva

@thegerg: Ops, I made a typo there (so used to typing 675 cause that's my bike). Each cylinder is actually .625 liter because 5/8 = .625.
The model moniker isn't exact, but for advertisement sake the figures are often rounded up not down. So a 5.368 liter (.671x8) engine is more likely to be called a 5.4L v8 rather than a 5.0L v8.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Or you can just create an official car thread aimed specifically for cars. I mean, there's isn't enough threads about cars for it to have its own forum. Hell, even religion topics haven't gotten its own forum and it had way more topics based on it than there are car based threads....

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The biggest problem Gamespot forums has always faced is too many boards. Condensing down the number of them increases traffic, and Gamespot desperately needs traffic these days.

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lucianocasanova

@foxhound_fox: ok