I saw a fight break out on the bus Am i in trouble I didnt stop it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cyborg9 (583 posts) -

I was taking the bus back from summer school. This guy was punching his girlfriend over something about pills or food not sure I couldn't hear. I got on I was at the front with my Ipod on. I'm not that big Just skinny and 6'3, the other guy was 5'8 but kinda bigger than me muscle wise. his girlfriend was 5'3 I felt bad should I of helped?

#2 Posted by Captain_Swosh69 (948 posts) -

I was taking the bus back from summer school. This guy was punching his girlfriend over something about pills or food not sure I couldn't hear. I got on I was at the front with my Ipod on. I'm not that big Just skinny and 6'3, the other guy was 5'8 but kinda bigger than me muscle wise. his girlfriend was 5'3 I felt bad should I of helped?

cyborg9
probably should called the cops. but there's the bus driver and other passengers as well. what happened? they all just pretend? if its just a couple of passengers, you know, maybe they're pissing, but the driver cant ignore this, he must call the cops or do something.
#3 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

omg u could haf got sexed u nub

#4 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -

cyborg9
You could have if you wanted to, but you were under no obligation to. There is no reason for you to feel guilty because you are not responsible for that man's actions. However I do recommend alerting an authority figure or calling the police when something like this happens.
#5 Posted by airshocker (28347 posts) -

cyborg9

You saw a guy beating on his girlfriend and you just sat there...?

At the very least you should have called the police or informed the bus driver.

#6 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

I wouldn't have gotten involved. You probably could have called the cops or something though.

#7 Posted by konvikt_17 (22108 posts) -

My god. what scum!

you're going to jail!

#8 Posted by ad1x2 (5408 posts) -
It would be nice to intervene but considering that you don't know if one of them had a weapon you would be taking a risk. You could have called the police on him. One issue with situations like this is in some cases the woman may not be willing to testify against her abuser. If she isn't then you did all you can.
#9 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6509 posts) -
Honestly youre a pvssy for not doing anything to stop it
#10 Posted by MrGeezer (55944 posts) -
Honestly youre a pvssy for not doing anything to stop itCapitan_Kid
Maybe so, but that's pretty irrelevant. Suppose I see someone who needs help, then I don't help them. It's one thing to feel bad for allowing a fellow human being to suffer, it's another thing to feel bad for being a "pvssy". The latter is entirely self-centered, it's putting all of the focus on ME when the focus should be on the woman who just got her f***ing face punched in. Do something because it's the right thing to do. Or do something because it's the smart thing to do. But doing something because you don't want to be a pvssy? Uh, no...get out of here with that. If it was wrong for this guy to not intervene, then the reason why it was wrong had absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not he was a pvssy.
#11 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

Always at least say something. If the girls doesn't want you to help she will tell you so and then you leave.

I always do my best and while I have got in a few fights over this usually when someone is pounding on a girl they don't want attention.

one time I saw a big guy grab a girl by the neck with his arm and I knew he was picking on her because she was lesbian so I grabbed him and said

"how do you like it!" When I did that a couple others came up with me so he had to back down.

probably others felt the same as you and it only would take one guy to be the first to make a move.

#12 Posted by sukraj (21660 posts) -

should have called the cops.

#13 Posted by GD-1369211121 (4086 posts) -

Always at least say something. If the girls doesn't want you to help she will tell you so and then you leave.

I always do my best and while I have got in a few fights over this usually when someone is pounding on a girl they don't want attention.

one time I saw a big guy grab a girl by the neck with his arm and I knew he was picking on her because she was lesbian so I grabbed him and said

"how do you like it!" When I did that a couple others came up with me so he had to back down.

probably others felt the same as you and it only would take one guy to be the first to make a move.

iowastate
Why anyone would pick on someone for being a lesbian is beyond my comprehension.
#14 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13730 posts) -

Nah.

Don't be a white knight.

#15 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Oh, just in case you guys didn't know, OP is DEFINITELY a troll account. I recognize the avy/username from over a year back.

#16 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -
[QUOTE="iowastate"]

GD-1369211121
Why anyone would pick on someone for being a lesbian is beyond my comprehension.

that guy was a bully and picked on people for no reason. but you can't say you've never come across people who hate on LGBT for no reason ...there are plenty of them out there.
#17 Posted by JML897 (33111 posts) -

Oh, just in case you guys didn't know, OP is DEFINITELY a troll account. I recognize the avy/username from over a year back.

coolbeans90
Yeah this is true, he used to be a lot more blatant about his trolling
#18 Posted by Serraph105 (27586 posts) -

Perhaps you should have helped from a moral perspective, but legally it's not your job to put an end to random fights

#19 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6509 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Honestly youre a pvssy for not doing anything to stop itMrGeezer
Maybe so, but that's pretty irrelevant. Suppose I see someone who needs help, then I don't help them. It's one thing to feel bad for allowing a fellow human being to suffer, it's another thing to feel bad for being a "pvssy". The latter is entirely self-centered, it's putting all of the focus on ME when the focus should be on the woman who just got her f***ing face punched in. Do something because it's the right thing to do. Or do something because it's the smart thing to do. But doing something because you don't want to be a pvssy? Uh, no...get out of here with that. If it was wrong for this guy to not intervene, then the reason why it was wrong had absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not he was a pvssy.

Way to put words in my mouth brah
#20 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

that stringbean eyeing me was you?

good thing you stayed out of it.

chick was holdin out on me and not giving me my pills i get so angrah without my pills.

#21 Posted by Hakumen21 (342 posts) -

As much as you would have like to help, it's only giving you more unneccesary crap for you to go through and handle.

WHo knows what may happen after?

#22 Posted by shadow_Metroid (1640 posts) -

I personally wouldn't have got involved,but I would have called the police in a heartbeat.

#23 Posted by TruthTellers (3396 posts) -
You should have recorded it and let the authorities decide.
#24 Posted by PC_gamer4life (215 posts) -
[QUOTE="cyborg9"]

Laihendi
You could have if you wanted to, but you were under no obligation to. There is no reason for you to feel guilty because you are not responsible for that man's actions. However I do recommend alerting an authority figure or calling the police when something like this happens.

You're taking this Randian thing way too far. If you're a moral person, you can't sincerely believe what you're saying here. Would you walk by a stabbing victim in the street if you were the only one in sight? If you witnessed a car accident on a street would you stop and offer assistance? While there may be no laws mandating that people behave as good samaritans (which is likely a good thing), there's a moral imperative that supercedes the existence or lack of laws that mandates that people do the right thing in this world. Does that mean he should have physically intervened with the altercation? I don't know. Doing nothing, however, was certainly not the moral choice.
#25 Posted by PC_gamer4life (215 posts) -

cyborg9
What does your heart tell you? Do you regret choosing to do nothing? You should have done something.
#26 Posted by Chris_Williams (14868 posts) -

I would have said something, I couldn't just sit there and watch a chick get beat on. I might lose but I rather he fight me then fight her

#27 Posted by EmpCom (3451 posts) -
No juicebox you are not in trouble
#28 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

Look on the brightside, you weren't embarassed on the show What Would You Do?

#29 Posted by frannkzappa (3101 posts) -

kraychik vs laihendi is something i would enjoy watching.

#30 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

So far, kraychik v. 'zappa has been less amusing that I had hoped.

#31 Posted by EmpCom (3451 posts) -
Lai vs a tiger in a cage I would enjoy that
#32 Posted by frannkzappa (3101 posts) -

coolbeans90

i'm sorry. what you expecting?

i don't know how to react to him half the time.

#33 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

coolbeans90

IDK if this is the real kraychik or not. He has yet to respond to me asking him directly. Also, PCgamer had a signature with the American flag on it, which helps support my theory (real Kraychik was Canadian).

#34 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

Last time i check in this world that's OK. Stand back and pull out your phone and start recording... 

no really, If you feel comfortable interfering in something like that then cool. IF not then that's fine, call the police  

#35 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16497 posts) -
:lol: In the last 2 weeks I have watched 4 fights right out in front of my house and didn't stop any of them. I recorded two of them and two happened so fast I didn't get a chance to even get my phone out of my pocket. I do not unload them to the net though. That I know can get you in trouble.
#36 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149559 posts) -
[QUOTE="cyborg9"]

Laihendi

Ugh. I do not like your mind set. I could not sit around and watch someone getting beaten.
#37 Posted by AbstractRadical (629 posts) -
You shouldn't of gotten physically involved in their situation but rather you should of called the cops.
#38 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10045 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="cyborg9"]

LJS9502_basic

Ugh. I do not like your mind set. I could not sit around and watch someone getting beaten.

i've witessed a few occasions though, in which the victims backed up their abusers when someone tried to interfere which kinda convinces me that you should indeed shrug it off,
#39 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="cyborg9"]

PC_gamer4life

You're taking this Randian thing way too far. If you're a moral person, you can't sincerely believe what you're saying here. Would you walk by a stabbing victim in the street if you were the only one in sight? If you witnessed a car accident on a street would you stop and offer assistance? While there may be no laws mandating that people behave as good samaritans (which is likely a good thing), there's a moral imperative that supercedes the existence or lack of laws that mandates that people do the right thing in this world. Does that mean he should have physically intervened with the altercation? I don't know. Doing nothing, however, was certainly not the moral choice.

To determine whether you should help someone you have to consider the value you place in the person in need of help, and also the risk you face in helping that person. If a person is of high value to you then it is rational to take a relatively large risk to help that person. If the person is of little value to you (such as a stranger) then there is no reason to put your own well-being in jeopardy for the sake of his. That would require valuing the life of a stranger more than your own life, which is irrational and indicative of a severe lack of self-esteem.