I quit my job. Do I have to go to work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oliabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 oliabe
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

I've quit my job and in my contract, I need to give 1 month notice, so that I'll have to work this whole month, but do I have to? I mean what are they going to do, fire me? Am I going to get a spot on my criminal record or what?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@oliabe said:

I've quit my job and in my contract, I need to give 1 month notice, so that I'll have to work this whole month, but do I have to? I mean what are they going to do, fire me? Am I going to get a spot on my criminal record or what?

... No but you will never be able to cite the company in your work history/references for your future employers to contact..

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Odd question to create an account on a gaming forum for, but welcome nonetheless.

As for your question, the specifics would depend on what the terms of your contract are. It's not like you'll go to prison, but failing to give proper notice before actually leaving (or leaving before the duration of your notice is up) would at the very least mean you can't use them as a reference for future employment because they'll tell your next employer you quit without notice.

-Byshop

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They'll hire someone else and charge you for it.

Probably best to look over that contract and see if they specify a specific penalty and hope it's not vague like "under their digression."

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Now I don't know how it is where you're from, but atleast here in Norway you're still given a hourly salary for the termination process. If you decide to not show up then you won't get paid for the rest of the duration and you might not want to put your employment at the company on your resumè.

The last part might be a issue if you've had a long therm employment, Such as 6 months, 1 year or more, since it would leave a gap in your resumè that future employees very likely would then ask about. It could also impact their view of you in a negative manner if there is a large gap since your previous listed job. It would also be even worse if you keep it in the resume and your new employees learn you didn't work during your termination process. That will put you in very poor light.

I'd advice you to keep going to work during the period, since ditching it would likely impact you way more negatively then if you attend work.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@oliabe said:

Here in California, i believe it works like this. Your contract terms must be met, unless both parties agree. If you owe them a month, i would suggest you finish it, or you can be liable not only for the work, but for the compensation that they have as a loss because your work was not finished. Good luck

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@Jaysonguy said:

Probably best to look over that contract and see if they specify a specific penalty and hope it's not vague like "under their digression."

I think you mean "discretion".

-Byshop

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Byshop said:
@Jaysonguy said:

I think you mean "discretion".

-Byshop

You're right, I was eating lunch and just hit correct

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@oliabe said:

... No but you will never be able to cite the company in your work history/references for your future employers to contact..

On like, most resume's I've filled out, work history and reference sections are completely separate.

He should be able to still say he worked there for x amount of time. Just no reference from it. Doesn't necessarily mean anything negative either if you have other references you prefer to use.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Most likely you wont be able to get a reference from them for future employment. Worst that can happen is the company sue for compensation to recovers losses you may cause the company.

However this only happens when important people leave a company in this manner (eg The CEO, a director, higher management)

If your entry level, supervisor or even lower management you will not likely see any court action.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Man up and finish what you agreed to. Gotta keep that sack hard as nails bro if you want to make it as a respectable adult in life.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@sSubZerOo said:
@oliabe said:

This, and if that company you worked for is contracted to another company that you coincidentally decide to work for, they'll pretty much tell you to f off.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@oliabe said:

On like, most resume's I've filled out, work history and reference sections are completely separate.

He should be able to still say he worked there for x amount of time. Just no reference from it. Doesn't necessarily mean anything negative either if you have other references you prefer to use.

The references section of an application (for jobs that actually take applications) is in addition to the list of employers that they'll likely contact, not instead of. If the employer does their due diligence, they'll call your previous employers (or at least the last 1 or 2) as well as the references you put down for contact. If a previous employer won't have good things to say about you, best to leave it off of your application/resume.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Byshop said:

The references section of an application (for jobs that actually take applications) is in addition to the list of employers that they'll likely contact, not instead of. If the employer does their due diligence, they'll call your previous employers (or at least the last 1 or 2) as well as the references you put down for contact. If a previous employer won't have good things to say about you, best to leave it off of your application/resume.

-Byshop

Probably depends on the job and stringency of background needed. For IT work they'd rarely call the people I'd reference (and I'd get an interview). Did a few interviews last year. Also, my reference was someone that I was leaving under less-than-best terms with.

A gap in work history can be worse than leaving a job on less-than-best terms. Depending on how long you've worked there for, it might be smarter to include it. But I have no experience with contracted work. If it was something small/short. Probably shouldn't include it. Work it into your work history once they're more in the past if you want to.

Personally I wasn't set on any particular place so I actually experimented a bit with what I included on my resume's and applications.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I filled out dozens of applications last year - maybe it depends on your field (mine was IT) but I only remember one that asked for any contact information for every single previous employer. Otherwise I wasn't expected to use every single place you've ever worked for as a reference/recommendation.

As I mentioned, your last 1 or 2 may get contacted if they do their due diligence but it really just depends on the employer. If there's a conspicuous gap in your employment, that'll raise questions as well. But again, there's also a difference between filling out an app for Starbucks versus building a resume to work for a career. The better the job the more likely they are to do things like call previous employers or a proper background check.

-Byshop

CarinaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarinaB
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

@oliabe said:

I think it's a transition period of sorts. It's called rendering, IDK, why does it have 30days. I remember you should be given to resign immediately. Rendering applies, I think if you are to be qualified for the backpay.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#17 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

If you don't mind me asking,what is your job title.That way we can maybe give better advice on what to do.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Generally speaking that is a courtesy. There are certain benefits to giving notice but for the most part no, there are no legal ramifications to just quitting and being like "Peace, I'm out". This is a free country, no one is forcing you to work against your will. The exception to this being contract work, but that's different than being a normal employee for an actual company.

Generally speaking, it's called "putting in your two weeks notice" because it's exactly that...two weeks notice. A month is a bit long, but not unreasonable. If you like your company and you are on good terms, you might even tell them you are pursuing a career elsewhere months in advance and help them look for and groom a replacement (this is ideal). Conversely, I've known people that put in three weeks notice, take two weeks paid vacation, then work their last week *shrug*.

With that said, there will be penalties, such as loss of pay, benefits, and other things if you leave abruptly. They will also not be a good reference for you and, depending on how long you worked there, this is a very very bad thing.

I would suggest that you sleep on this decision for at least a couple nights, because if you have worked at this company for more than a few months and have any sort of positive relationship with them, you might want to retain that and work the remaining month.

My personal suggestion, if this was a half-serious job, is to do the half-decent thing and just work the remaining month. Ideally, you'd do a really good job so you leave with a good, lasting impression so when you use them as a reference they go "Oh yeah, ____________, he/she was a great worker!"

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'm in a simular position, I'm working my notice period of my job, I leave on the 23rd December. Its really hard to stay focused and keep going to work when you know your leaving.

However the company are paying my two weeks remaining holiday to me after the 23rd, basically giving me all of Christmas period off with full pay.

So I have no intention of leaving early and breaching my contract, even though I dont want any references from my current employer I want Christmas off wit full pay

SquareBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SquareBubbles
Member since 2016 • 15 Posts

Definitely best to just suck it up and finish it.

If you haven't been working there for a long time I don't see a problem if we are talking about resumè. But the fact that you said you have to give them one month notice says that you've been working there long enough to be better off not breaching the contract.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Maybe should have given a month notice a month ago.

strongparkour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 strongparkour
Member since 2016 • 192 Posts

If I were you I would wait to see what happens, hope for the best plan for the worst. If you do lose you're job surely you'll find another, I mean... it can't all be that bad, but you'll need money in order to keep yourself going.

Well... you could work in a shop for a few weeks or months, something like that.

I'm sorry if you do lose your job. Oh, by the way, have a great Christmas.

All the best, strongparkour.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Depends entirely on labour laws in your area and the terms of the contract.