I need serious life help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SmileyJetsonxD
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts

I just turned 18, and basically need to leave the nest. I've never had a job and go to a community college. I need to do anything I can to find a place to live. What do I do? Go on welfare, make a ton of loans?Is there an easy way of finding a steady job if you're an 18 year old college student supporting yourself? What's cheaper, a one room/one bathroom apartment, or renting downstairs of someone's house?

I really need your help, people.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

what's the urge to leave when you are not yet prepared?

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Jobs will be tough to find unless you turn to prostitution. If you're adamant about getting your own place, the best thing to do is to get a bunch of roommates.

imnotveryhappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 imnotveryhappy
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts
Yes, what's the rush?
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SmileyJetsonxD

VaguelyTagged
My dad's an alcoholic and my mom's crazy and oppresive, having grown up in Korea. I'm not allowed to leave the house unless for a proper reason, not allowed to do anything other than study. I can't have friends because my parents do everything they can to break up any relationships I form with people. Every day I feel like I'm dying in this house. I have to go...
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
The OT is the best place for life changing questions. Dont worry we will guide you in the right direction
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SmileyJetsonxD

Jobs will be tough to find unless you turn to prostitution. If you're adamant about getting your own place, the best thing to do is to get a bunch of roommates.

entropyecho
I don't have any friends whatsoever. I'm basically on my own on all this. But I really need to leave. Could I go on welfare? Or is that impossible for an able-bodied 18 year old man?
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

SmileyJetsonxD
My dad's an alcoholic and my mom's crazy and oppresive, having grown up in Korea. I'm not allowed to leave the house unless for a proper reason, not allowed to do anything other than study. I can't have friends because my parents do everything they can to break up any relationships I form with people. Every day I feel like I'm dying in this house. I have to go...

well in that case..leave,ASAP!
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Look in the classified ads for those "Married couple seeking roommate" posts. Usually all utilities will be included so you dont have to worry about setting them up or remembering to pay them and the price is normally reasonable.

SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SmileyJetsonxD

The OT is the best place for life changing questions. Dont worry we will guide you in the right directionAutoPilotOn
I put my life in your hands. :(

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 entropyecho

Do you have any other family in the area or are they all in Korea?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Son, you've come to the worst place.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Go apply at fast food restaraunts. They're pretty easy to get hired at. Work there for awhile and save up money. Then see about moving out.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 entropyecho

Could I go on welfare? Or is that impossible for an able-bodied 18 year old man?SmileyJetsonxD

http://www.welfareinfo.org/apply/

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

entropyecho
Brilliant, he can fufill his job with his roomamtes
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SmileyJetsonxD

Shoul I emancipate myself? It sounds like a lot of work and it doesn't sound like it'll do anything.

entropyecho

It would create too many problems between my parents and them, as my parents would try to interfere with that. And they all live in Korea/East coast. I live in San Francisco. I think I should move out of the city though; it's wayyy too expensive.

Look in the classified ads for those "Married couple seeking roommate" posts. Usually all utilities will be included so you dont have to worry about setting them up or remembering to pay them and the price is normally reasonable.

Alter_Echo

Thanks, I'll do this.

SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SmileyJetsonxD

[QUOTE="SmileyJetsonxD"] Could I go on welfare? Or is that impossible for an able-bodied 18 year old man?entropyecho

http://www.welfareinfo.org/apply/

I want this to be a last case scenario, though.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
and you came to OT what were u thinking
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SmileyJetsonxD

I found a one bedroom apartment for $650/month that's kind of close to my school. Is that too expensive if I'm working fulltime at $10/hr?

and you came to OT what were u thinkingsonofsmeagle
I know, right? Better than Teh Vesti on IGN. At least you guys are capable of serious posts.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

My advice would be to keep searching for a job. It's pretty hard to get a job right about now, but you just need to keep trying. You should go to an agency and maybe start off with a temp job. If you are a good worker, they will eventually hire you on full-time.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Pay loans off with more loans and live like a king
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

:P

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

My advice would be to keep searching for a job. It's pretty hard to get a job right about now, but you just need to keep trying. You should go to an agency and maybe start off with a temp job. If you are a good worker, they will eventually hire you on full-time.

shoot-first

Hahahah When will the illusion of being hired full time if you work hard as a temp end WHEN WILL IT END!!!! Its very rare and highly unlikely to happen company s temp for a reason and thats usually not to gain more permanent employees! Temping is a blight on the working world and needs to be controlled somewhat. Anyhow rant over. TC god knows what you can do to be honest! Get a job is my main advice then or during the jobs 1st or second week and you feel secure in the job get the hell outta your house.

Ouch BAdd sentence structure bed 4 me......

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
When in doubt 69 it.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#25 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Do you have any goals in life? A reason for living? I use that as my guide.
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SmileyJetsonxD
Do you have any goals in life? A reason for living? I use that as my guide.BranKetra
My only goal is to support myself. I have no idea what I want to do for work. I don't really care, as long as I get bank.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

[QUOTE="shoot-first"]

jwsoul

Hahahah When will the illusion of being hired full time if you work hard as a temp end WHEN WILL IT END!!!! Its very rare and highly unlikely to happen company s temp for a reason and thats usually not to gain more permanent employees! Temping is a blight on the working world and needs to be controlled somewhat. Anyhow rant over. TC god knows what you can do to be honest! Get a job is my main advice then or during the jobs 1st or second week and you feel secure in the job get the hell outta your house.

Ouch BAdd sentence structure bed 4 me......

I've landed a full-time job through a staffing agency. They placed me at DHL Global Mail. It was not the best job in the world, but it was a job nontheless. Like I said, you have to work hard and stick around for a while. They will eventually hire you full-time, if they like you.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Buy a hooker.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
You won't be able to get much for loans towards a place to live if you've got no credit. I personally would go apply at every fast food place you can, you'll get a call back eventually. As for housing, I'd get a small apartment with a roommate. Basement suites are usually expensive.
SmileyJetsonxD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SmileyJetsonxD
You won't be able to get much for loans towards a place to live if you've got no credit. I personally would go apply at every fast food place you can, you'll get a call back eventually. As for housing, I'd get a small apartment with a roommate. Basement suites are usually expensive. XilePrincess
I'm looking at a shared apartment right now. I get my own bedroom and share the bathroom/kitchen. That sounds ideal for me, at least for what I have to work with. I just gotta come up with the money... -_______-
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#31 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Do you have any goals in life? A reason for living? I use that as my guide.SmileyJetsonxD
My only goal is to support myself. I have no idea what I want to do for work. I don't really care, as long as I get bank.

I was low on cash, so I decided to go to college. I chose community because it's cheaper than a university. If you can get the full Federal Pell Grant for 2 semesters. That's $5500 split into $2275 per semester. However, they demand 12 credits worth of classes= Four/five classes.

Depending on the state, there may be extra free grants for in-state residents (or if a relative lives there and you happen to start living there, too).Florida residents get another $700 semester the freshman year and 1350 their sophomore year.After the cost of books and junk, I had about $1800. So, $900 for everything.

The college has professors that are kinda jaded, but the students are mixed (some a pain in the #$%, some not). If you have a talent or skill you can hone, there are ways to. Just look.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 worlock77

I just gotta come up with the money... -_______-SmileyJetsonxD

Fast food man, fast food.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

There is a lot of help for teens in San Fan. Your home life is not the safest option right now. So you just need a safe place to stay until you can figure out things you need to do. Google help for young people in California, places close to where you live now.

A job and college will happen but you just need a safe place to get yourself sorted out. It is time to leave the nest, just do it in the best way. To avoid getting into real trouble later on.

Good luck to you. In seems overwhelming now but you will eventually find your way. You just need a safe place to stay for now.

evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
well your 18 you can apply for unemployment checks
ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Live on streets. Become the most badass hobo to ever live. You can become a legend.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

The OT is the best place for life changing questions. Dont worry we will guide you in the right directionAutoPilotOn

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts

Enlist in the military?

MRBUCKMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MRBUCKMASTER
Member since 2010 • 758 Posts

Enlist in the military?

Lab392
Thats always a last resort, but that may be what you need man :/
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
Don't go on welfare. Find a job save your money.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

well your 18 you can apply for unemployment checksevilmaster2424

He's never had a job. In order to draw unemployment you have to have worked and payed taxes into the system.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

This is quite amazing to watch the brilliant minds of OT go to work on an actually important problem. :o

I'm a big advocate of faking your own death. There's a lot of money in those insurance policies these days.

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

I would say to go look around, and try to find someone renting out a room. As for a job, have you considered anything to do with courts? They are always in need of more of them.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

I found a one bedroom apartment for $650/month that's kind of close to my school. Is that too expensive if I'm working fulltime at $10/hr?

[QUOTE="sonofsmeagle"]and you came to OT what were u thinkingSmileyJetsonxD

I know, right? Better than Teh Vesti on IGN. At least you guys are capable of serious posts.

It changes depending on the location and the general area you want to live, but that's not that great of a rate. A lot of TWO bedrooms go for that much. A small one-bedroom (again depending on the location) should go between 450-550.

Generally, someone in your financial situation is probably going to want to rent a shared space with other people. My husband's rent in school was $250 and less than $50 in utilities because he split a 3 bedroom apartment with two other guys. It's less privacy, but a fraction of the cost. There's plenty of want-ads of people looking for tenants.

You can look into student loans to help you out, but that can be a dangerous road to walk. It's easy to put everything on loan, but at some point you do have to pay it all back, and it can make a difficult situation even worse.

Honestly, unless your parents are beating you and you're scared for your life, I would stick it out until you finish school and get a degree. It is infinitely easier to be on your own when you have your degree in hand and don't have to worry about grades and making enough to feed yourself then to figure out how you're going to pay for school after you've already left home and you have nowhere to go.

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Shoul I emancipate myself? It sounds like a lot of work and it doesn't sound like it'll do anything. [QUOTE="entropyecho"]

SmileyJetsonxD

It would create too many problems between my parents and them, as my parents would try to interfere with that. And they all live in Korea/East coast. I live in San Francisco. I think I should move out of the city though; it's wayyy too expensive.

Alter_Echo

Thanks, I'll do this.

You live in SF? dude, now I should be able to help you much better lol. In SF you wont be able to get much above a 1 bedroom studio for less than 1000$, even the 1 bedroom studio apartments go for like $1200- 1500$ unless you live in the projects (On a serious note there's actually a nicer housing project in the Lower Haight it looks quite new and decent that may be your best bet. Or i suppose you could find something for less in The Tenderloin but its a bit of a sketchy area after dark.

I'd honestly try the East Bay though, Berkeley perhaps or even somewhere like Oakland or Hayward is gonna be much cheaper than living in the city. Also if your school as financial aid you could try applying for that as well as applying for jobs at places like Jamba Juice or just a basic store like a drug store or something. Stores are usually fairly easy to get a job at, its just all about putting out as much applications as you can.

If you need help or anything, feel free and shoot me a message and I'll help you more. Best of luck mate!