I'm starting to think that Dr. Phil is a staged show.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (6069 posts) -

Today's episode regarding a late-teen and his family, who are on the show because the family is concerned that he might be in a gang.

On stage, the teen openly admits to killing 5 people while in the gang, one of which was an 8th grader who he claims to have shot "4 or 5 times."

One of which involving removing the brain and throwing it around the room.

He also claims to have participated in rape, robbery, and drug dealing.

His family reacts to all of this "shocked." But....so much of this seems unlikely. The families reaction feels too ... fake. Either this whole show is staged, or the family (or just the teen) is faking because they want to create drama.

I have had similar feelings about past episodes.....

What do you think?

#2 Posted by spike6958 (4707 posts) -

Sounds it. What happened to the kids at the end?

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150326 posts) -

I think most "reality" shows are staged....

#4 Posted by GazaAli (22508 posts) -

Are Dr.Phill and his shit interventions still going on?

The show does not even make it to the level of being staged in the traditional sense of the word. Its just one huge and ridiculous charade.

#5 Edited by Kevlar101 (6069 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Are Dr.Phill and his shit interventions still going on?

The show does not even make it to the level of being staged in the traditional sense of the word. Its just one huge and ridiculous charade.

Yeah. I used to think he was a pretty smart guy, but....now it's just gotten, as you said, ridiculous.

#6 Posted by Kevlar101 (6069 posts) -

I actually didn't catch the ending but......the big hole here, is that he admitted to killing up to 5 people, and he admits it on national television ....... and then doesn't get arrested or anything like that? Maybe my conception of law is wrong or whatever....maybe him just saying that isn't enough for that to happen, but still. I have seen episodes similar to this one all the way to the end in the past, and that never happened. It just seems so incredibly unlikely that someone would do that. It just feels like it was made for drama. Either fabricated by the shows producers, or dreamed up by the family who were subject to the intervention.

#7 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

You don't say.

#8 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

dont trust anything

#9 Edited by spike6958 (4707 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

I actually didn't catch the ending but......the big hole here, is that he admitted to killing up to 5 people, and he admits it on national television ....... and then doesn't get arrested or anything like that? Maybe my conception of law is wrong or whatever....maybe him just saying that isn't enough for that to happen, but still. I have seen episodes similar to this one all the way to the end in the past, and that never happened. It just seems so incredibly unlikely that someone would do that. It just feels like it was made for drama. Either fabricated by the shows producers, or dreamed up by the family who were subject to the intervention.

Yeah, that's why I was asking. No one can admit to all that on national tv and not get at least brought in for questioning. I've never seen the show, as I don't live in America, but it sounds like a total sham, and the "families" are most likely actors.

It's honestly sounds an awful lot like a show we get here in the UK called Jeremy Kyle, it's by far the lowest form of entertainment. To give a typical example, a woman will accuse her boyfriend/husband of beating her and having an affair (usually with a relation) and getting that other person pregnant, they'll argue for a bit, then the person they had an affair with will come out and start screaming at both of them. The man will then take both a lie detector test and a DNA test, and it'll come back saying yes he does beat her and the other womans baby is his, and they they'll go home happy. He won't get arrested for beating the woman up, they'll maybe say they sent him for "counseling" and that'll be that.

#10 Posted by Kevlar101 (6069 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@spike6958 said:

Yeah, that's why I was asking. No one can admit to all that on national tv and not get at least brought in for questioning. I've never seen the show, as I don't live in America, but it sounds like a total sham, and the "families" are most likely actors.

It's honestly sounds an awful lot like a show we get here in the UK called Jeremy Kyle, it's by far the lowest form of entertainment. To give a typical example, a woman will accuse her boyfriend/husband of beating her and having an affair (usually with a relation) and getting that other person pregnant, they'll argue for a bit, then the person they had an affair with will come out and start screaming at both of them. The man will then take both a lie detector test and a DNA test, and it'll come back saying yes he does beat her and the other womans baby is his, and they they'll go home happy. He won't get arrested for beating the woman up, they'll maybe say they sent him for "counseling" and that'll be that.

I think i've heard of Jeremy Kyle.....don't know if I have seen it or not though. There are countless shows like these around, it's insanity.

#11 Edited by 6_Dead_360s (1663 posts) -

I saw this episode. At the end, Dr Phil said the local DA where that kid lives was contacted, and they did a 'thorough' review of it all. They found no evidence whatsoever that what he said was true. I think the kid was delusional and living in a fantasy world. I don't think the family's reaction wasn't believable, either.

#12 Posted by foxhound_fox (87683 posts) -

They have to generate ratings somehow.

#13 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15034 posts) -

Don't trust anything you see on TV. Even House Hunters is staged.

#14 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

I work in Hollywood. Every show is scripted, especially anything marked as "reality TV." It's all fake... All of it... Every last bit.

#15 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

I work in Hollywood. Every show is scripted, especially anything marked as "reality TV." It's all fake... All of it... Every last bit.

What about the news and sports?

#16 Edited by Master_Live (14177 posts) -

#17 Posted by hippiesanta (9809 posts) -

dr phil is oprah's donkey slave

#18 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -
#19 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17147 posts) -

Fake or not, "Doctor" Phil is one of the biggest fucking morons I have ever seen. He fails so hard at being a psychologist it's not even funny....

Hate his fat ass and it saddens me to think there might be people out there who genuinely think the man knows what he is talking about....

#20 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

He's just there to make money.

#21 Posted by sSubZerOo (43072 posts) -

I can't stand reality tv, to me it's one of the biggest causes to the current pompous society we live in..

#22 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Its fake, just like all the other random crap on tv that people seem to love

#23 Posted by always_explicit (2714 posts) -

I am beginning to think water is wet.

#24 Posted by bowchicka07 (1073 posts) -

#25 Edited by CyberLips (1815 posts) -

Did you know that Dr.Phil doesn't have an active licence to practice psychology? lol -------> Wikipedia

#26 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

Did you know that Dr.Phil doesn't have an active licence to practice psychology? lol -------> Wikipedia

Yes. Everybody should know this. It's why he never calls himself a "psychologist" or a "therapist." If he ever used one of those two words to describe himself, BOOM! Malpractice suit.

#27 Posted by one_plum (6345 posts) -

Fake or not, "Doctor" Phil is one of the biggest fucking morons I have ever seen. He fails so hard at being a psychologist it's not even funny....

Hate his fat ass and it saddens me to think there might be people out there who genuinely think the man knows what he is talking about....

Maybe that's what he calls reverse psychology.