I'm not excited with college.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

Hi guys.

I entered college a couple of weeks ago and I'm not really enjoying it. Classes are interesting and the teachers are incredibly acessible and friendly, however is the students, the friends that I'll have to "befriend" with for 3 years... They look dull, uninteresting, a bunch of jocks (care for nothing else but sports and going to the club). The girls look ridiculous making scenes everywhere just to enter with the right foot in college.

I see people from other colleges (known people, wouldn't call them friends) and they look astonished with their colleges because of the Academic Week and the pranks that are pulled to freshmen, dinners that are organised. They are really having an amazing time in college and I couldn't care less, I feel like I'm in a regular school, just with older people. I don't see these people being my "friends for life" as many people say that in college you meet people that you will remember and keep in touch for a long time.

Is something wrong with me? How was your experience at college?

#2 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

No, nothing is wrong with you. You are just simply the most flawless and perfect person on campus. Everyone else is below you. You are superior to your classmates..

#3 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

@MacBoomStick said:

No, nothing is wrong with you. You are just simply the most flawless and perfect person on campus. Everyone else is below you. You are superior to your classmates..

Why do you need to be a jerk about it? I didn't said that, it's just that "knowledge" has a different perception nowadays.

#4 Posted by icstars2 (12385 posts) -

Honestly, you're in college to learn - the parties are just a side note to tell your children in 30 years.

My college experience isn't that exciting, but I've met some very stellar people in the time I've been in college (about a year.) I'm sure you will too - you just need to give it time; try joining some clubs that interest you.

Also, first post on GS for years - everything looks so confusing now ._.

#5 Edited by wis3boi (31594 posts) -

If someone tells you ahead of time what to expect in college, disregard them

#6 Posted by lostrib (39211 posts) -

Then don't be friends with those people....?

#7 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Were you expecting cookies and cupcakes when you went to college?

I hate to break it to you that college is not all fun and games, suck it up kiddo.

#8 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

Wow, I'm impressed with your manners. It wouldn't hurt you to be more friendly to people you know? Being polite goes a long way. Sorry if I asked something out of this world...

#9 Posted by thegerg (15656 posts) -

@Tqricardinho said:

@MacBoomStick said:

No, nothing is wrong with you. You are just simply the most flawless and perfect person on campus. Everyone else is below you. You are superior to your classmates..

Why do you need to be a jerk about it? I didn't said that, it's just that "knowledge" has a different perception nowadays.

""knowledge" has a different perception nowadays."

What is that even supposed to mean?

Anyway, no. This generation isn't special.

#10 Edited by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

@Tqricardinho said:

Wow, I'm impressed with your manners. It wouldn't hurt you to be more friendly to people you know? Being polite goes a long way. Sorry if I asked something out of this world...

This is not Mr Roger's neighborhood, hate to spoil the real world for you.

#11 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

@cynical_buzzard said:

@Tqricardinho said:

Wow, I'm impressed with your manners. It wouldn't hurt you to be more friendly to people you know? Being polite goes a long way. Sorry if I asked something out of this world...

This is not Mr Roger's neighborhood, hate to spoil the real world for you.

You must know a lot about the real world sitting your butt in front of a computer talking like you're a big deal to people. Would like to meet you in person to see if you still have that internet badass personality. Real world... you made me giggle.

#12 Edited by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

@Tqricardinho said:

@cynical_buzzard said:

@Tqricardinho said:

Wow, I'm impressed with your manners. It wouldn't hurt you to be more friendly to people you know? Being polite goes a long way. Sorry if I asked something out of this world...

This is not Mr Roger's neighborhood, hate to spoil the real world for you.

You must know a lot about the real world sitting your butt in front of a computer talking like you're a big deal to people. Would like to meet you in person to see if you still have that internet badass personality. Real world... you made me giggle.

I am who I am in front of my screen as I am in real life, I do not have these false hopes and dreams. The world is not a place for naive sheeple. So until you wake up and realize that, you will be drowning in the false hope of the world wants to be your friend.

#13 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6557 posts) -

It's only been a couple weeks .....and you gotta make an effort to get to know people as horrible as that sounds DX (not sarcasm)

#14 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

just try to be more social with the people around you. try to get to know them better and find out if any of them have any similar interest as you.

#15 Edited by MathMattS (4012 posts) -

One thing that might help is if you get involved with a student club (that is, a club sponsored by the student government). What are your interests? There's bound to be a club for what you like to do.

I teach college mathematics and I'm encouraged when I see students get involved. Student government might be a good idea, too, as it will add to your resume and give you valuable experience. Also, get to know people in your academic department (i.e., professors, fellow students, and clubs within your department as well). It's those professors who will be writing letters of recommendation for you later on.

#16 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Honestly there's nothing wrong with jocks. My friend joined a frat about a year ago and a lot of his friends in it act like stereotypical jocks some of the time but over half the guys in it are in engineering and are very smart. I've found it's not a good idea to judge people immediately.

#17 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

Join clubs that you are interested in. Alot of people are immature in college and even after, its not a big deal.

#18 Posted by the_plan_man (1560 posts) -

@Tqricardinho: I had/am having the exact same experience at college. I've made multiple threads especially from my first year at college where I explained my utter dread of it. I was rejected from a fraternity, and have gotten in multiple fights at "frat houses." I hated my first semester so much, I made a schedule for myself where I would go to classes from Monday at 2 p.m. and get off for the weekend at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoons, after which I would head home for a three day weekend every weekend at home two hours away. This is not a bad idea if you just know you hate the people, and you can't control your surroundings as well as you think you can. My second year was incredibly lonely, and really literally had no friends. It's only recently I started hanging out at a Catholic student center, and my social surroundings have been much better (a lot of OTers will probably rip on this). So, no, you're not weird at all, so just stick it out.

#19 Posted by thegerg (15656 posts) -

@MathMattS said:

One thing that might help is if you get involved with a student club (that is, a club sponsored by the student government). What are your interests? There's bound to be a club for what you like to do.

I teach college mathematics and I'm encouraged when I see students get involved. Student government might be a good idea, too, as it will add to your resume and give you valuable experience. Also, get to know people in your academic department (i.e., professors, fellow students, and clubs within your department as well). It's those professors who will be writing letters of recommendation for you later on.

"get involved with a student club (that is, a club sponsored by the student government). "

Why limit it to only those student clubs sponsored by the student govt?

#20 Posted by mindstorm (15247 posts) -

Being social in school is great but that is not the purpose of school. If you want your degree you then fight for it even if you have to associate with people you might not usually deal with. It will likely be no different when you are in the workforce. You cannot always choose the people who you associate with.

#21 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@bobaban:

But you don't see how that could be distracting and annoying to some people? Sadly, college age kids these days act very similar to the way we acted when we were fifteen. Thanks to media pop culture, it gets worse every generation.

#22 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

I would definitely suggest joining a club or go to events so you could meet people. Surely, you can meet some friends in any of your classes. Trust me, it took me a long time to make friends when I was in college

#23 Posted by lamprey263 (24475 posts) -

if you get an Adderall prescription before finals everyone will want to be your friend

#24 Posted by MrGeezer (56677 posts) -

@Tqricardinho said:

Hi guys.

I entered college a couple of weeks ago and I'm not really enjoying it. Classes are interesting and the teachers are incredibly acessible and friendly, however is the students, the friends that I'll have to "befriend" with for 3 years... They look dull, uninteresting, a bunch of jocks (care for nothing else but sports and going to the club). The girls look ridiculous making scenes everywhere just to enter with the right foot in college.

I see people from other colleges (known people, wouldn't call them friends) and they look astonished with their colleges because of the Academic Week and the pranks that are pulled to freshmen, dinners that are organised. They are really having an amazing time in college and I couldn't care less, I feel like I'm in a regular school, just with older people. I don't see these people being my "friends for life" as many people say that in college you meet people that you will remember and keep in touch for a long time.

Is something wrong with me? How was your experience at college?

Just remember that you're there (primarily)for an education. You can party and make friends without paying a $hitload of money to go to college.

Anyway, it's hard to make friends when you automatically dismiss people as being dull and uninteresting. I mean, you said that the classes are interesting, but somehow all of the people who were interested enough to take those classes are just dull boring pieces of $hit? I don't quite buy it. What makes you so special that you're the only interesting person there? Either there are lots of other interesting students and you're just choosing not to get to know them, or you're not as interesting as you think you are.

But hell, I used to be kind of like you. Hell, I'm kind of like you now. I'm in an arts program, so you'd think I'd find something in common with other people in the arts program. But instead, I just look at them and say, "that person's a f***ing weirdo, I don't want to be his/her friend." Here's the thing, though. At first I got pissed off and frustrated that I couldn't find anyone to be friends with. Then I started to realize that the reason I couldn't find people to be friends with was because I didn't WANT to be friends with people. And after that I was like, "well, okay." I still avoid being friends with people. The difference is that before I was angry and sad that I had no friends, and now I freaking LOVE not having any friends.

The point being: sometimes you just are what you are. So, rather than beating yourself up over it, just learn who you are and then learn how to be happy with that. But in any case, blaming your lack of friends on all of your classmates being dull and uninteresting just sounds like you're making excuses to not do $hit that you were never really gonna do anyway. If there's a problem, you'll usually find that the problem is "me" instead of "everyone except me." So start there. Start with the assumption that a lot of your classmates are VERY interesting and fun, then ask yourself why you haven't managed to become friends with any of them. Because seriously...the problem is probably you rather than them.

#25 Posted by MrGeezer (56677 posts) -

@-Renegade said:

just try to be more social with the people around you. try to get to know them better and find out if any of them have any similar interest as you.

He obviously must have SOME of the same interests as some of the people. Granted, some classes are requirements for pretty much everyone, but other courses are obviously going to be for specific programs. That's a commonality right there. If you're a biology major, then surely some of your courses are also going to have people who are interested in biology. If you're an art major, then surely some of the courses are going to have students who are also interested in art.

They're already there, and he's still not making friends while talking about how boring they are. So I'm not sure how similar interests would help. Hell, back when I was a biology major, I joined a biology club and I still avoided making friends because f*** those guys. Was the problem that we didn't share similar interests? Of course not. We were all interested enough in a topic to join a f***ing nerd club dedicated to it. There was a HUGE ready-made opportunity to make friends with those people, I just didn't make friends with them for some reason (in my specific case, I didn't want any friends).

#26 Edited by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I'm in the first semester of my freshman year of college, and I have to say that overall it has been awesome. The workload at my school is notoriously intense, and I've had some rough nights - hell tonight has been rough, but there is such a work hard, play hard mentality. Friday and Saturday nights pretty much everyone goes out. I've met a lot of people, and even though most of the kids here are essentially rich white northeastern kids, and I'm a non-rich, white kid from Florida, everyone has for the most part been super friendly. For me it is a totally new experience to be around kids who are in the same friend groups as the kids of CEOs and whatnot, but I find it pretty cool.

It is definitely weird to see kids absolutely plastered on the weekends doing crazy shit, and then see them in class where they are legitimately some of the brightest people of this generation.

I have no idea what my college experience will be like for next four years or if it will get old, but so far it has been pretty good. I am having a lot of fun, but am also very serious about my grades. All of my possible professions value GPA very highly so I definitely do not want to screw up the very first semester. Plus it is always good to have the highest GPA possible just in case you want to transfer.

Basically though, try to keep an open mind. Talk to people, see what they have to say, they might surprise you.

#27 Edited by Legend500 (131 posts) -

Dude, just remember that college is a fresh start. To be honest you sound like a bit of a dick atm, but its not too late to bring yourself down a few levels and just chill. Stupid stuff and assumptions seem to be annoying you. I'm sure if you actually get to know these people you will click with some of them. Remember to be confident but not cocky which is what you sound like now. I started college a few weeks ago aswell and I love it. I've made so many new friends, we've went out loads so far (without compromising studies!) and we're all going out on Thursday, dressing up for halloween for an insane drinking/smoking session. Even if your not into that stuff there are plenty of ways to bond with your classmates. It's something I seriously recommend trying.

#28 Posted by comp_atkins (31609 posts) -

give it time, you've only been there for a few weeks.

#29 Posted by johnd13 (8474 posts) -

I don't make new friends easily but I was really lucky in this regard. When I entered university I met a bunch of people with whom I enjoy hanging out with, have similar interests and are a little nerdish like me.

Try to meet as many people as possible to enhance your chances of finding someone that you'll feel like befriending.

#30 Posted by thegerg (15656 posts) -

The fact that you choose to label people in such a one-dimensional way tells me that you're likely the problem and not them.

#31 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14030 posts) -

It's not that exciting. Everyone seems so shy and introverted at my college.

As an introverted person, it helps to have a few extroverted people in class. Haven't found anyone new to party with either. Seems like freshmen I am with are more focus on getting their pre-reqs out of their way. Feels like High School for the most part except with people who care to learn.

#32 Edited by TonyDanzaFan (2973 posts) -


I understand the way you feel. I feel the same way a lot of the time. Honestly, you need to just force yourself to interact with people, no matter how much you don't dig them upon first glance. Just pick yourself up by your bootstraps, say to yourself, "Today I am going to make a new friend." and put in the effort. I generally found that most of the times where I am anti-social it is because I am lazy and don't make the extra effort to talk to people.

#33 Posted by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

Well, I feel kind of the same way (at least the not being excited part), though I only go to a community college.

#34 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151708 posts) -

@Tqricardinho said:

@cynical_buzzard said:

@Tqricardinho said:

Wow, I'm impressed with your manners. It wouldn't hurt you to be more friendly to people you know? Being polite goes a long way. Sorry if I asked something out of this world...

This is not Mr Roger's neighborhood, hate to spoil the real world for you.

You must know a lot about the real world sitting your butt in front of a computer talking like you're a big deal to people. Would like to meet you in person to see if you still have that internet badass personality. Real world... you made me giggle.

You don't seem to be too friendly either. Anyway.....don't be friends with them then.