• 57 results
#1 Posted by JYoungin20years (281 posts) -

It's life.....damn....

#2 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I lost my job on April 22nd, 2014. I'm currently collecting unemployment benefits. I've got to say, I'm enjoying the extra leisure time. I can go to bed when I want to; I can wake up when I want to; and I can play video games as long as I want.

#3 Posted by lamprey263 (22460 posts) -

did you suck at gigolo work?

#4 Posted by jasean79 (2303 posts) -

I lost my job on April 22nd, 2014. I'm currently collecting unemployment benefits. I've got to say, I'm enjoying the extra leisure time. I can go to bed when I want to; I can wake up when I want to; and I can play video games as long as I want.

Right there with you. I lost mine on Feb 10th. Although, the benefits won't last forever, so I'm stressing a bit on finding another job.

#5 Posted by playmynutz (5925 posts) -

Mane what kind of work you looking for?

#6 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

My roommate also recently lost his job. Got himself some work (construction) that pays cash and gets unemployment benefits. That's the smart thing to do until you can find a job in your field.

#7 Edited by TruthTellers (3396 posts) -

Jobs are like women: can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em and that's there's plenty out there and you'll find the one for you.

#8 Edited by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

My roommate also recently lost his job. Got himself some work (construction) that pays cash and gets unemployment benefits. That's the smart thing to do until you can find a job in your field.

Committing unemployment fraud (unless he's reporting his hours worked and pay earned) is not the smart thing to do...

#9 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

Use this time to find some general labor work that pays cash, very fun and gets you in shape.

#10 Edited by JYoungin20years (281 posts) -

i work at a non profit place for people with behavioral problems...pay is decent

#11 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Committing unemployment fraud is not the smart thing to do...

LOL. I thought the same thing when I read that comment, but didn't bother to post my opinion.

#12 Edited by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -
@BluRayHiDef said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Committing unemployment fraud is not the smart thing to do...

LOL. I thought the same thing when I read that comment, but didn't bother to post my opinion.

Well it depends on if he's reporting his earnings and hours worked or not. That way the amount can be deducted, or unemployment ended depending on the amounts.

#13 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Committing unemployment fraud (unless he's reporting his hours worked and pay earned) is not the smart thing to do...

He's not employed. He does odd random construction jobs for a family friend and gets paid for it in cash by that person. He isn't paying taxes on it, no W2's were filled out, and he doesn't have set hours or job locations. He is not an employee of any company, it's a family friend not a company. It's work but it isn't employment. He isn't considered employed by the Department of Labor so his unemployment benefits don't constitute fraud.

#14 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

He's not employed. He does odd random construction jobs for a family friend and gets paid for it in cash by that person. He isn't paying taxes on it, no W2's were filled out, and he doesn't have set hours or job locations. He is not an employee of any company, it's a family friend not a company. It's work but it isn't employment. He isn't considered employed by the Department of Labor so his unemployment benefits don't constitute fraud.

You know darn well that if the Department of Labor knew that he was getting paid off the books for odd jobs, they'd lessen or eliminate his unemployment benefits accordingly. C'mon, son. C'mon.

#15 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

You know darn well that if the Department of Labor knew that he was getting paid off the books for odd jobs, they'd lessen or eliminate his unemployment benefits accordingly. C'mon, son. C'mon.

What's the difference between this and him not working and his mom giving him money to cover the rest of his expenses? In this circumstance he's actually doing labor for that money instead of sitting on his ass.

#16 Edited by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -
@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

He still has to report any earnings received for work done. It has to be deducted from his unemployment benefits. You're right, if he was officially employed, the benefits end. Any money earned still has to be declared so it can be deducted from the payments though. Knowing not doing so is a pretty serious offense.

#17 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

That doesn't matter. He still has to report any earnings received for work done. It has to be deducted from his unemployment benefits.

Are they suppose to be reported yes. Do people report them? Absolutely not. Tons of unemployed individuals take up non reported labor to help bolster income while unemployment (babysitting work, lawn care, etc). I'm not arguing that it's necessarily the right thing to do, but it's a pretty common practice among the unemployed, mostly because no one can live off of unemployment benefits. They either take up extra work or cease paying bills. It's the response to a terrible flaw in the system. Instead of providing income assistance and helping you find proper employment the government just sends very limited weekly checks to individuals. I'm glad I'm not unemployed because I can't imagine the difficulty these people go through. They either break the law or default on bills, it's not an easy decision and I certainly won't condemn them for whatever decision they choose to make.

#18 Edited by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

@Pirate700 said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

That doesn't matter. He still has to report any earnings received for work done. It has to be deducted from his unemployment benefits.

Are they suppose to be reported yes. Do people report them? Absolutely not. Tons of unemployed individuals take up non reported labor to help bolster income while unemployment (babysitting work, lawn care, etc). I'm not arguing that it's necessarily the right thing to do, but it's a pretty common practice among the unemployed, mostly because no one can live off of unemployment benefits. They either take up extra work or cease paying bills. It's the response to a terrible flaw in the system. Instead of providing income assistance and helping you find proper employment the government just sends very limited weekly checks to individuals. I'm glad I'm not unemployed because I can't imagine the difficulty these people go through. They either break the law or default on bills, it's not an easy decision and I certainly won't condemn them for whatever decision they choose to make.

It being common practice does not make it OK nor does it make it legal. That's my point. Nobody is saying people don't do it. It's still illegal and thus not good advice.

#19 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It being common practice does not make it OK nor does it make it legal. That's my point. Nobody is saying people don't do it. It's still illegal and thus not good advice.

I'm not disagreeing that it's illegal I'm just saying most unemployed are left with few other options. It's more proof that our system is broken then it is an individuals illegal actions. I don't think the government should force and individual to default or break the law but unfortunately that are many unemployed only 2 options and it's unfortunate. All we can do is strive to make the system better.

#20 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

What's the difference between this and him not working and his mom giving him money to cover the rest of his expenses? In this circumstance he's actually doing labor for that money instead of sitting on his ass.

Money received from his mother would be nontaxable unless it exceeded a certain amount (there are laws on this), while money he earns in exchange for labor is a wage and subsequently taxable. Anytime money changes hands in exchange for a good or service, it must be taxed, according to the law. Money is legal tender, hence it is subject to the law.

Having said this, I agree with you in regard to people receiving unemployment insurance being justified in supplementing it with off-the-books work.

#21 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20803 posts) -

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (86986 posts) -

Me too, but it's for the better. I can't get subsidization for my Class 1/CDL training while employed (which is dumb, considering most people who make $20,000/year could not afford to pay $9000 out of pocket on training).

#23 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28973 posts) -

I'll be leaving the workforce for 5 years at the end of June. :P

#24 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

Me too, but it's for the better. I can't get subsidization for my Class 1/CDL training while employed (which is dumb, considering most people who make $20,000/year could not afford to pay $9000 out of pocket on training).

Is that a Freightliner truck in your sig?

#25 Edited by foxhound_fox (86986 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Yes, a first gen Coronado. The tractor I'd like to drive if I were an O/O. It's got old school style but with all the modern tech (and no DEF system in most of them).

#26 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Yes, a first gen Coronado. The tractor I'd like to drive if I were an O/O. It's got old school style but with all the modern tech (and no DEF system in most of them).

Nice, some of the Coronado's are really awesome. It definitely looks and feels a lot nicer then the Cascadia models. I just don't like the plastic exterior on trucks. Coronado is definitely the way to go. Plus the Sleeper Cabs are decked out.

#27 Edited by foxhound_fox (86986 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Nice, some of the Coronado's are really awesome. It definitely looks and feels a lot nicer then the Cascadia models. I just don't like the plastic exterior on trucks. Coronado is definitely the way to go. Plus the Sleeper Cabs are decked out.

My favourite tractors are the Pete 379's from the 1990's. But they are quite impractical for anything beyond short hauls or day cabbing. I'm going to start out as a company driver, and only take on owning my own truck if it would pay more than working for the company (i.e. if the gross pay for the year exceeds whatever mileage rate/detention premiums/etc I can get driving one of their's). I don't want to give up a truck after 500K miles... I want to keep it going to a million and more. Even if it means running an older rig. I'm one of those people that can easily become attached to a vehicle.

#28 Posted by MonsieurX (28788 posts) -

Then get another one

#29 Posted by Iszdope (9439 posts) -

Did you look under the couch?

#30 Edited by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@Pirate700 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

That absolutely would, but fuck them. In this kind of situation, there's no reason they need to know. If they wanna tax a man doing a random handyman job for a friend, they can eat a dick. What's to stop them from taxing gifts, at that point? Oh wait, they do. And besides, unemployment benefits come from your own money, that was taken from your paychecks at your last job. And they don't give it all back. Not even close. I was on unemployment for as long as they would let me be. Cut me off because my claim had run out, and I wasn't eligible for a new one. By that point, I had collected, in total, about half as much in unemployment payments as the amount that I had paid into unemployment insurance over the previous 6 years of steady full-time work.

#31 Edited by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

Anytime money changes hands in exchange for a good or service, it must be taxed, according to the law.

Which, while true, is so god damn despicable it blows my mind that this nation isn't constantly fighting off violent rebellion. People just don't know what the fuck freedom is. And don't care.

#32 Posted by Behardy24 (2374 posts) -
#33 Posted by JYoungin20years (281 posts) -
#34 Edited by Dogswithguns (10670 posts) -

Well.. I just got a new job two months now.

#35 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

My favourite tractors are the Pete 379's from the 1990's. But they are quite impractical for anything beyond short hauls or day cabbing. I'm going to start out as a company driver, and only take on owning my own truck if it would pay more than working for the company (i.e. if the gross pay for the year exceeds whatever mileage rate/detention premiums/etc I can get driving one of their's). I don't want to give up a truck after 500K miles... I want to keep it going to a million and more. Even if it means running an older rig. I'm one of those people that can easily become attached to a vehicle.

I see a lot of people like that at work. They put a lot of time and money into their trucks. It's very understandable, they are huge investments. If all else fails you throw a reman engine into the thing and you are ready for another 400 or 500k.

#36 Posted by JohnF111 (14014 posts) -

So he thinks he can just get two incomes while people out of work have one? He sounds like a selfish fraudster to me, he should report his income like an honest citizen... scrounging git.

#37 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7978 posts) -

@JohnF111: working for cash is pretty much standard when you unemployed . Till unemployment runs out or you find a better legitament job.

#38 Posted by jasean79 (2303 posts) -

@JohnF111: working for cash is pretty much standard when you unemployed . Till unemployment runs out or you find a better legitament job.

Agreed. Finding a job that pays well enough to not go this route is harder than it sounds. I know, because I'm in the midst of it right now.

#39 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7978 posts) -

@jasean79: I was also exactly two years ago. It only took me two months to find a better paying job than I have ever had though. It seemed like forever at the time.

#40 Posted by jasean79 (2303 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn:

Well it's been over 3 months since I lost mine. I'm starting to give up hopes in finding another.

#41 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

So he thinks he can just get two incomes while people out of work have one? He sounds like a selfish fraudster to me, he should report his income like an honest citizen... scrounging git.

So he should default on all his bills then? Have you ever received unemployment? It's far less then you need to have an honest income. Without some other means of cash revenue, unless you've got a huge savings, you will quickly default on bills and have creditors swarming. It's breaking the law yes, but it's what the unemployed are basically forced to do. They don't want to but the gov't and job markets leave them little options.

#42 Edited by foxhound_fox (86986 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I see a lot of people like that at work. They put a lot of time and money into their trucks. It's very understandable, they are huge investments. If all else fails you throw a reman engine into the thing and you are ready for another 400 or 500k.

That's a problem apparently these days, throwing a perfectly good truck into the scrap heap and buying new (lease-to-own) is apparently far cheaper and cost effective for most modern O/O's. Personally, I'd like to (eventually) buy an older rig with maybe 600-700K on it, from someone leaving the business (and who has kept all the maintenance up to date), and run it till it gives out (hopefully at least 200-300K more), and then weigh whether or not refitting it is better than new. So I can get maybe 1-2 years of effortless pay with little down time, and have that cash on hand to retrofit something, or buy a brand new Kenny, Volvo or Freightliner.

But that's all big dreaming, and I need to worry about getting my license and getting into a good company right now. Fortunately, most Canadian carriers tend to be very good, and not a dice roll like some smaller ones in the US.

#43 Edited by osirisx3 (1714 posts) -

#44 Edited by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

Jobs are like having a girlfriend, they always make you do shit you don't wanna do. But when you loose one you enjoy the freedom, but not for long.

#45 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

heh, i hate that term.

you didn't lose the motherfucker it's still right there at the same place, you are just not doing it anymore.

#46 Posted by Aljosa23 (24337 posts) -

I'll be leaving the workforce for 5 years at the end of June. :P

Why is that?

I just got hired part-time over the Summer in healthcare research here in Canada. They needed an extra person so I'm hoping they will hire me during the school and I will work there full-time once I graduate. Chin up OP, you'll find a new job.

#47 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Right there with you. I lost mine on Feb 10th. Although, the benefits won't last forever, so I'm stressing a bit on finding another job.

You also have to pay that some of that back, something a lot of people don't realize until their taxes come at the end of the year.

#48 Edited by Vatusus (4238 posts) -

I'm currently employed but I wont be starting November of this year. I'm good with that since I'll have some extra time to finish a project of mine I've been working for a couple of years now...

#49 Edited by jasean79 (2303 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: not necessarily. I chose to have taxes taken out each pay so I wouldn't have to pay in at end of year.

#50 Posted by Mercenary848 (9041 posts) -

I have been thinking of quitting work to focus on school.